Right click for "on the fly" skill selection

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Currently if players want to quickly select a skill for their healing/utility/elite slot they have to left click on the small area with an arrow above them which often results in mistakenly activating a skill instead of opening a skill selection menu. Even worse the slot goes on cooldown which has to wear off before trying to make a skill selection again.

What I would like to propose is to simply use right click while hovering above the slot to open the skill selection menu. The arrow indicator above the slots can still be used to indicate if skill selection is allowed/possible for that slot (the player is out of combat etc.)

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

You mean to tell us you are a mouse-clicker ??

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

You mean to tell us you are a mouse-clicker ??

is there another way to change utilities?

I have fallen victim to this as well. Not game breaking but certainly frustrating to have to wait through the cooldown to switch skills because you accidentally clicked the skill.

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

Nice and useful suggestion. Especially when you quickly need to change skills between encounters, it can happen that you accidentally activate a skill.

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

You need not mouse-click, ever.

I have bound a keyboard key to replace my mouse’s button and now I can change my utilities without the shadow of a click.

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

That sorry sliver of an excuse for a drop down box to change utility skills is the most aggravating element of all my time spent in-game. Well, nearly the most aggravating.

Making the drop-down toggle bar larger, enlarging (like when you hover over your dodge meter), or having it expand further down into the skill box has been requested many times for over a year and a half. Anything that could help prevent accidentally activating the skill when attempting to quick switch a utility skill.

Having a skill go on cooldown right before entering combat and then being stuck with whatever the skill was before due to not being able to switch it now that you are in combat already by the time the cooldown ends…sucks.

Nothing has ever been done about it being so tiny and having all of like, 6 pixels, to click on to bring up the “quick” skill change box. How it was considered a good idea in the first place to have it so small, or even make it out of Beta without it being changed is a mystery. It’s like they expected everyone to be playing using the Extra Large UI setting as well as at 640×480 resolution so the bar would appear super huge and it would be less of an issue.

So many requests for this to be adjusted, so little response on the matter. I’ve given up on hope for it to be addressed…ever.

I’m still trying to get out of the habit of using that little thing and instead:

• Bringing up my hero panel
  • Click my Skills tab
    (sometimes having to re-click on the “Utility Skills” section because it remembers which panel you left it on last and opens to it again and I sometimes look at the weapon skills or trait tabs)
  • Hit the box and switch the skill there
  • Close my hero panel

Doing that each time is safer than attempting to play Operation and getting buzzed and screwed each time I slightly drift down a pixel or two and click one pixel into the actual skill instead of on the drop-down.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)