RnG beta key lottery??

RnG beta key lottery??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Thank you for this thread. I’d rather grind for something I know I’ll get (PvP rank and track rewards) than for something I probably won’t (beta key).

Gone to Reddit.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

I’d wager that the portals are not done by a traditional x% drop rate, but by a system that’s more like “drops per hour”.

If Anet wants let’s say 5000 people, then they will drop 5000 portals and cut it off. The event lasts for a week. Under a traditional x% rate system, it’s entirely possible that all the available portals will drop in the first hour or the first day. Which makes the rest of the event pointless. They’re not going to do that. The Beta key drop event is obviously part of a publicity stunt, and they are going to want to draw it out for it’s full duration. That means spreading out the drops. For the same reason, they won’t want there to be ZERO drops in the beginning, or people will give up early. So they probably have a kind of metered drop system, that puts out Y number of portals over a given period.

There are 168 hours in 1 week. Divided into 5000, that’s appx 30 drops per hour.

Now its probable they’ll ramp it up later into the event, hoping that a few people get one and publicize it, thereby drawing even more ppl into the event, etc. That means we’re talking about an average drop rate over the entire week, but the actual drop rate at any given time could vary. 5000 is also an absolutely baseless guess. But it gives us some perspective of the rarity involved.

How many people are in each map? How many maps? Spread 30 over all of that. Now how many of them link their drops? Are they in your map when it happened? It’s EXTREMELY unlikely that you, personally, will have seen one linked at any given time. Remember that there’s a limited number of drops per unit of time – if all the drops happen in other maps, yours will never see it. Word of mouth will not be enough to judge the drop rate here.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

How ’bout they give it too those with over x hours of playtime?

Those who devote time and information pertaining to changes from existing game play and have experience needed for constructive feedback who also would enjoy Beta access more than that new guy there who is yet to learn how to strafe AND attack.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

i kinda hope we get to keep the stone looks nice. but i got super lucky getting it within an hour XD

I think accidentally sold one to a vendor. I wasn’t keen on what the icon looked liked and was only looking for something that specifically stated it was for beta. I sold a bunch of stuff to a vendor, junk, trophies etc, and moved on. Later I saw the icon in another post and thought, “Hey that looks familiar.” LOL.

The Burninator

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I’d love a key for the beta, but I just can’t bring myself to spend hours on end in some rather boring zones farming for something with a really low drop rate…

Especially since I’m not getting much else for the time I waste there.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Bitoku Kishi.8346

Bitoku Kishi.8346

I’d love a key for the beta, but I just can’t bring myself to spend hours on end in some rather boring zones farming for something with a really low drop rate…
Especially since I’m not getting much else for the time I waste there.

Exactly my take on it too. Both DryTop and SilverWastes are just plain grindy, and most people I know of tend to hate it there.
Now ArenaNet is trying to coerce people back there to grind some more by throwing in beta keys, rather than actually trying to make those areas inherently fun instead.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

So instead of players taking an active role to get a closed beta key, it is better for them to RNG emails from a list of potentially dead accounts? Access that could have gone to active players instead?

So instead of players from each of the 3 core game modes having potential access to the beta keys, it is better to omit PvPers and WvWers by having a steep RNG factor in only two PvE maps?

It’s beta may be PvE only, so that seems fitting. There was a full 24 hours of stronghold recently for everyone. There may be a WvW coming up as well.

It may be in a PvE map, but that doesn’t make it PvE only. There’s also —most likely--testing of the Revenant, UI, and potential changes to other classes.

Also, as you pointed out, everyone had access to the Stronghold. Even the first closed beta gave equal opportunity to unlock that privlage, without asking people to leave their core game mode. This Beta makes you solely grindPvE to potentially test it.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

So instead of players taking an active role to get a closed beta key, it is better for them to RNG emails from a list of potentially dead accounts? Access that could have gone to active players instead?

So instead of players from each of the 3 core game modes having potential access to the beta keys, it is better to omit PvPers and WvWers by having a steep RNG factor in only two PvE maps?

It’s beta may be PvE only, so that seems fitting. There was a full 24 hours of stronghold recently for everyone. There may be a WvW coming up as well.

It may be in a PvE map, but that doesn’t make it PvE only. There’s also —most likely--testing of the Revenant, UI, and potential changes to other classes.

Also, as you pointed out, everyone had access to the Stronghold. Even the first closed beta gave equal opportunity to unlock that privlage, without asking people to leave their core game mode. This Beta makes you solely grindPvE to potentially test it.

Maybe they’re trying to pin down a bug and need people who are willing to repeatedly do one activity over and over again.

So this method of choosing will help get better suited beta players.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

or maybe, just changing up how they do it. Is it really a big deal if you do not do the beta? I mean, you wont earn anything, and even if you do get a little future knowledge of it, anything is subject to change. On top of that, they encourage people to chat about it, and even stream video if they wish, so you can watch it.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Weyrd.2794

Weyrd.2794

i kinda hope we get to keep the stone looks nice. but i got super lucky getting it within an hour XD

I think accidentally sold one to a vendor. I wasn’t keen on what the icon looked liked and was only looking for something that specifically stated it was for beta. I sold a bunch of stuff to a vendor, junk, trophies etc, and moved on. Later I saw the icon in another post and thought, “Hey that looks familiar.” LOL.

Wouldn’t matter. Once you get portal your account is flagged. If you sell it or destroy it you still will have access to beta.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

randomization is a working method to get valid empirical results. It is not that hard to understand really. Beta access is not something given out for funsies to the players, but, as the word beta test heavily implies, to test things. Another concept that isn´t really hard to understand.

While correct on the first part, the second part not really. Most public or open betas are usually about “funsies”, at least from a players standpoint. They are commonly just used as stress tests and not so much for actual beta or bug testing. Since by the point where they do public betas, most issues are known and are already under internal testing and fixing(or ignored).

Most likely this is a stress test on events in a SW/Drytop style PVE map for HoT. Hence the choice of RNG and that RNG being gained from those maps.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Weyrd.2794

Weyrd.2794

randomization is a working method to get valid empirical results. It is not that hard to understand really. Beta access is not something given out for funsies to the players, but, as the word beta test heavily implies, to test things. Another concept that isn´t really hard to understand.

While correct on the first part, the second part not really. Most public or open betas are usually about “funsies”, at least from a players standpoint. They are commonly just used as stress tests and not so much for actual beta or bug testing. Since by the point where they do public betas, most issues are known and are already under internal testing and fixing(or ignored).

Most likely this is a stress test on events in a SW/Drytop style PVE map for HoT. Hence the choice of RNG and that RNG being gained from those maps.

Not following your logic. If it was a stress test for the type of events like those of SW/Drytop, then they’d want a similar amount of players to the amount running them in the live environment now, not a subset of them who get the drop.

I don’t think this beta is a stress test. I think this beta is for testing new features for bugs. Particularly, I’m betting, the new specialization system/UI since they will be rolling that out before the rest of the expansion is ready. Of course that’s just my guess and pure speculation.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

i have no issue with the way they are controlling access to the beta. However, I wish they would provide full disclosure on what will be in the beta to everyone, even if its just a write up.

All a beta is is a small fraction of players running around, finding items/valuables, then going back to live and hoarding/selling based on the future market that only they know, and destroying the economy for the players that have no clue what to save, what to sell, etc…

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

i have no issue with the way they are controlling access to the beta. However, I wish they would provide full disclosure on what will be in the beta to everyone, even if its just a write up.

All a beta is is a small fraction of players running around, finding items/valuables, then going back to live and hoarding/selling based on the future market that only they know, and destroying the economy for the players that have no clue what to save, what to sell, etc…

You are aware that there is no NDA on the beta, right? So people can (and will) be streaming and writing about all the information they find.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

An acquaintance of mine got on, in two weeks got an abyssal dye and a precursor, decided he was bored, and stopped playing.

Meanwhile, I’ve been playing since beta and have never touched a precursor. So… yeah, luck happens. Sucks, but what can you do about it, other than live with it or rage quit?

I’m a PHP developer. When a system doesn’t work as intended, or there is a better alternative, I improve on my initial designs. That’s why my framework has developed quite well over the past 7 years. I give my customers 2 years long free upgrades incase I find ways to improve their initial product. All part of the service I offer.

ArenaNet however decided that RNG + Skinner Box is the way to go and to never improve upon this system (adding new currency is a band aid at best).

A well developed system would increase the droprates over time for a person if they have been unlucky for months/years to ensure every player has their ‘happy’ moment. An even better system would be one that rewards actual effort instead of pressing 1 once and resulting in bronze completion with the same item rewards as gold completion. This however is far more expensive to develop & maintain so they choose the cheap version instead.

I’ve been playing since Guild Wars 1 and while I’ve sadly been getting older over these past 10 years (wtb age reduction skill) I’ve also seen well respected companies turn to crap due to financial restraints setup by investors/management. This case is sadly no different.

I still play for about 5 minutes per day as I keep a slight sense of hope that someday they will understand that the skinner box & rng won’t work forever as content but it’s also fading a bit more every day seeing the current developments.

This entire ‘event’ for the next beta only reconfirmed why I decided to become inactive in the first place.

edit: spelling.

You have hit the nail on the head. This is exactly my experience(lots of nothing) and how I feel about ANETS’ RNG and what they should do about it. I now log in for a few minutes to grab my reward and AP then leave. I did do the entire SW chain yesterday just to check it out, but quickly decided I was just wasting my time.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Thank you for this thread. I’d rather grind for something I know I’ll get (PvP rank and track rewards) than for something I probably won’t (beta key).

I agree. PVP rewards are actually phenomenal at this point.

PVE RNG and Black Lion Chests… crap. Literally the endgame is gold farming, crafting and day trading. I’m sure that thrills a particular niche but where is the epic adventure and treasure for the people expecting a fantasy game to be that.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Do we actually have info on the chances?

3 in 489,354,518,257,895,114,654,776,475,476,494,976,734

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: sanedude.9450

sanedude.9450

Least we still have a chance. Only 4 portals have been found. The last player saying he found one turned out to be a fraud. Alas the 5th portal is still out there:)

RnG beta key lottery??

lordkrall.7241

Least we still have a chance. Only 4 portals have been found. The last player saying he found one turned out to be a fraud. Alas the 5th portal is still out there:)

It is far more than 5 portals that have been dropped.
Being reported != dropped.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

It is far more than 5 portals that have been dropped.
Being reported != dropped.

Just because ppl post it on map chat doesn’t mean that they have them as drops. All one would need to do is grab the code from the wiki and post it on map chat. So there is a chance only a couple players got it as a drop and the rest are faking. BTW if anyone here is interested the code is [&AgEMEAEA].

RnG beta key lottery??

lordkrall.7241

Of course. But that just means my statement is still correct. Being reported is not the same as being dropped.
Not everyone that reports it have had the drops and not everyone that had the drop have reported it. Simple as that.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

ha nice reference. I hope they include chocolate with this test

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Hearte.6852

Hearte.6852

Over 8+ hours farming for this so far. I get that it’s rejuvenating the very tired current “end-game” open world maps that we have, but not in a good way. Imagine the frustration and disappointment for those who will have spent dozens of hours grinding for this beta key, by the end of this event. Some more foresight would have been great before implementing an idea like this. It’s a lame space-filler for the current lack of content, and it requires potentially endless grinding on maps that many of us are sick of by now.

RnG beta key lottery??

lordkrall.7241

Over 8+ hours farming for this so far. I get that it’s rejuvenating the very tired current “end-game” open world maps that we have, but not in a good way. Imagine the frustration and disappointment for those who will have spent dozens of hours grinding for this beta key, by the end of this event. Some more foresight would have been great before implementing an idea like this. It’s a lame space-filler for the current lack of content, and it requires potentially endless grinding on maps that many of us are sick of by now.

So.. don’t do it?

You are aware that the betas themselves are all about grinding the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again, right?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

So.. don’t do it?

You are aware that the betas themselves are all about grinding the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again, right?

Hi, what exactly is your point?

RnG beta key lottery??

lordkrall.7241

That if you do not like the “grinding” for the beta key, don’t do it. And if you don’t like it in the first place, a closed beta is probably not the place for you, seeing as a closed beta is exactly that, doing the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

That if you do not like the “grinding” for the beta key, don’t do it. And if you don’t like it in the first place, a closed beta is probably not the place for you, seeing as a closed beta is exactly that, doing the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Oh, but the beta won’t last for months on end, so this is irrelevant. But thanks for the suggestion!

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

So.. don’t do it?

If you don’t like it, don’t participate.

I for one am participating because this is a really good time to get into Silverwastes. I hadn’t done more than a little bit of that content. If you’re right that the community is already sick of it, which I honestly think is your opinion and not the community’s, then now is a good time since people are running it regardless of their interest in it.

The added bonus of getting a portal in the first couple minutes is really just gravy. I’m not even sure I want to beta test at all. I played a Revenant already and it was interesting, I’m good to go until release.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

So.. don’t do it?

I for one am participating because this is a really good time to get into Silverwastes. I hadn’t done more than a little bit of that content. If you’re right that the community is already sick of it, which I honestly think is your opinion and not the community’s, then now is a good time since people are running it regardless of their interest in it.

The added bonus of getting a portal in the first couple minutes is really just gravy. I’m not even sure I want to beta test at all. I played a Revenant already and it was interesting, I’m good to go until release.

Ok, I get the “If you don’t like it, don’t play” comments. They’re inevitable from the white knights in every debated game topic. Yawn The fact is, I do want to play in the betas, so I’m putting in the time on these tired maps to have a better chance at getting the key. Hopefully this addresses your concerns about whether or not I should play or move on.

RnG beta key lottery??

Kal Spiro.9745

So.. don’t do it?

Ok, I get the “If you don’t like it, don’t play” comments. They’re inevitable from the white knights in every debated game topic. Yawn The fact is, I do want to play in the betas, so I’m putting in the time on these tired maps to have a better chance at getting the key. Hopefully this addresses your concerns about whether or not I should play or move on.

Then I will ask, what is your point? This “contest” won’t be for very long. Once it’s over the zone will return to business as usual. You can stop spending time in Silverwastes, since you apparently dislike the place.

Artificially vitalizing a zone doesn’t exactly hurt anyone or anything.

If someone complains about something, they’re a hater. If someone calls them on it, they’re a white knight. How about, people are just people with differing opinions. I’m not defending ANet. ANet has many mistakes and I’ve definitely spoken out about them. I just don’t think that being personally inconvenienced is the same as a corporate mistake that should have been addressed ahead of time.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

This system is way better then throwing a name on a mailing list imho at least I get rewarded for playing the game and people who invest alot of time ingame ((You know the ones that SHOULD be beta testing)) will eventually get their keys.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

So.. don’t do it?

Then I will ask, what is your point? This “contest” won’t be for very long. Once it’s over the zone will return to business as usual. You can stop spending time in Silverwastes, since you apparently dislike the place.

Apparently you missed the point in my initial post. The method for the beta access is lame. Also, Silverwastes was already active, since it’s currently one of the best ways to obtain gold, as tired as it is. Dry Top is the only map seeing a real boost.

RnG beta key lottery??

lordkrall.7241

Oh, but the beta won’t last for months on end, so this is irrelevant. But thanks for the suggestion!

Of course not, but it might very well be up for a weekend or even a full week or two. And the amount of things to test will most likely be very limited initially and thus you would have to repeat the same thing over and over again.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

If farming for the portal is driving you crazy, then take a break. Come back to it in a few days or something. Like others have said, it’s an RNG thing. Some will get a key the first time they kill a mob in DT & SW, and some won’t get one even if they farm for the entire 2 weeks.

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

This system is way better then throwing a name on a mailing list imho at least I get rewarded for playing the game and people who invest alot of time ingame ((You know the ones that SHOULD be beta testing)) will eventually get their keys.

At the current drop rates, there’s no way, unless this key event is extended for the next couple years.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Torture.9156

Torture.9156

Fully agree with Hearte.

Brainless stupid grind event on (for regular players) finished/boring/useless/disused maps.

RnG beta key lottery??

Kal Spiro.9745

So.. don’t do it?

Apparently you missed the point in my initial post. The method for the beta access is lame. Also, Silverwastes was already active, since it’s currently one of the best ways to obtain gold, as tired as it is. Dry Top is the only map seeing a real boost.

Dry Top has been consistently active, so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Why is it lame? Because you haven’t won? Because most people won’t? So? Anyone coming into this with the expectation of getting beta access is delusional. It is a carrot and nothing more.

All methods of getting into beta are lame. The only difference between this one and those is that this one guarantees a few things. It guarantees that people getting into beta are active players with at least one level 80. It suggests they’re marginally competent, care about endgame content, and can follow along the same types of events that will take place in the beta. The only thing this doesn’t do is guarantee that winners actually want to be in beta, but even if they don’t they’ll probably still participate.

Ultimately this seems like a pretty good method, incentive, and decision.

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

So.. don’t do it?

Dry Top has been consistently active, so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Why is it lame? Because you haven’t won? Because most people won’t? So? Anyone coming into this with the expectation of getting beta access is delusional. It is a carrot and nothing more.

All methods of getting into beta are lame. The only difference between this one and those is that this one guarantees a few things. It guarantees that people getting into beta are active players with at least one level 80. It suggests they’re marginally competent, care about endgame content, and can follow along the same types of events that will take place in the beta. The only thing this doesn’t do is guarantee that winners actually want to be in beta, but even if they don’t they’ll probably still participate.

Ultimately this seems like a pretty good method, incentive, and decision.

Uh, normally Dry Top has one active map, maybe two in the evenings. Currently it’s seeing regular T5 maps, compared to T2-T3 maps during the day, so yes, it’s much more active.

I’m saying that confining the key to two extremely tired PVE maps is lame. It would have been better to make it available to anyone who is active, whether they’re doing WvW, SPvP, leveling alts, doing dungeons/fractals, or any open world content. For those who would really like to play in the betas, this is currently very restrictive.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Let’s face it: no matter how they handed out beta keys, some group of people would complain about it. Even if every single account got a key mailed to them, there would be people complaining.

They made a decision and went with it. Suck it up.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

i think what they should have done was use the list from the stress test and invited players who did not get an invite for that.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Of course not, but it might very well be up for a weekend or even a full week or two.

And do you know why all you can do is say what “might” be, instead of what will be?

Because this guy is right:

ArenaNet is (again) having horrible communication. They told people how to get access to the beta, but they haven’t announced when will the beta be, or what kind of content it will have, or any other relevant information.

What if someone spends a lot of time grinding for access (because that’s effectively the only way to get access, by grinding), and the beta happens to be in a day in which said someone is busy? Whose fault do you think that would be?

ArenaNet should at least have told us when is the beta going to be, and what content it will feature. But no, they didn’t manage to do even that.

RnG beta key lottery??

Kal Spiro.9745

Of course not, but it might very well be up for a weekend or even a full week or two.

And do you know why all you can do is say what “might” be, instead of what will be?

ArenaNet is (again) having horrible communication. They told people how to get access to the beta, but they haven’t announced when will the beta be, or what kind of content it will have, or any other relevant information.

What if someone spends a lot of time grinding for access (because that’s effectively the only way to get access, by grinding), and the beta happens to be in a day in which said someone is busy? Whose fault do you think that would be?

ArenaNet should at least have told us when is the beta going to be, and what content it will feature. But no, they didn’t manage to do even that.

What part of closed do you not understand. Closed beta means they don’t talk about it, that you don’t get know ahead of time unless you’re in it.

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

What part of closed do you not understand. Closed beta means they don’t talk about it, that you don’t get know ahead of time unless you’re in it.

LoL, what? If this is your definition of “closed beta”, you’re sadly mistaken. It only means that the beta is limited to a certain number/group of players.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I dislike ANet’s choice of entry with this particular beta. Sure, it’s RNG, which means that whether you play one hour or twelve hours, there’s no assurance but the difference is that normal players, those of us with jobs and other hobbies and families we enjoy spending time with, have less chances to try and obtain a portal. Not only that, but old players who stopped playing for various reasons have to get back into the game if they want this beta invite and can’t offer feedback.

Not only that, but nobody knows when the beta will be, how long the portals will drop, the drop rate of the portals or any other relevant information. It’s a giant middle finger to the working class people ANet usually does really well at gearing content for.

All in all, I feel like this is less of a “beta” and more of a preview, since a large chunk of ANet’s playerbase won’t even have a chance to experience the upcoming beta and offer feedback.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I like how it is, it ensures that those testing have 80’s can navigate and play high level maps and actually know what they’re doing and are active players. It rewards people that actually play the game, instead of sending off invites to accounts that are either dead or played at launch for like 3 days and quit.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I like how it is, it ensures that those testing have 80’s can navigate and play high level maps and actually know what they’re doing and are active players. It rewards people that actually play the game, instead of sending off invites to accounts that are either dead or played at launch for like 3 days and quit.

This is NOT how it works though.

You can’t just put in time and get one. It’s too random. So someone who does it for 5 minutes and doesn’t play the game can most definitely have about the same chance of getting one.

RnG beta key lottery??

heartless.6803

You can’t just put in time and get one. It’s too random. So someone who does it for 5 minutes and doesn’t play the game can most definitely have about the same chance of getting one.

Sure RNG is RNG, but even if it’s a player that only played in silverwastes for 5 mins it’s still a player that is 1) high enough level to be there 2) can navigate himself to even get there and 3) is competent enough to kill something

All 3 of those factor’s can’t be determined by an email mailing list. I think it’s a brilliant way of ensuring you get competent players into the test.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

By your logic i should already have one considering the fact that i been playing on SW since last ls patch (97 coat box and counting). So far been farming 16h without luck and i start to doubt that i will ever get one.

In short, kitten rng.

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

Sure RNG is RNG, but even if it’s a player that only played in silverwastes for 5 mins it’s still a player that is 1) high enough level to be there 2) can navigate himself to even get there and 3) is competent enough to kill something

All 3 of those factor’s can’t be determined by an email mailing list. I think it’s a brilliant way of ensuring you get competent players into the test.

Technically untrue. I proved this point once by running a level 1 alt to Union Waypoint once (Anyone remember the farm there?) to prove that you can get loot simply by being in a party, even if you’re landing 1 damage glancing blows. Unless they specifically forbid anyone under 80 from obtaining the beta key, anyone under 80 could definitely get it.

RnG beta key lottery??

heartless.6803

By your logic i should already have one considering the fact that i been playing on SW since last ls patch (97 coat box and counting). So far been farming 16h without luck and i start to doubt that i will ever get one.

In short, kitten rng.

The bulk of you still think that because I’ve been playing longer you feel like you’re entitled to something. Random is random, to everybody.

That said, the drop rate is really low on purpose. For Anet to base the long time appeal and vary the drop rate based on how many players they want in the beta. If they seen not enough people looted it, then they’ll increase the drop rate.

You have the false idea that the drop rate is a static drop rate, it’s not. It’s a dynamic drop rate.