Robin Williams pop culture achievements

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

No doubt everyone is aware of the recent passing of Robin Williams.

What I am asking for is in some of the upcoming achievements that Anet add some Robin Williams pop culture references or even have some Npc’s go though a skit that Robin Williams made in one of the many films he did during his wonderful career.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This isn’t WoW. I haven’t seen many if any pop culture references in this game. Geek/Nerd culture yes.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

“O Commander! My Commander!”

“Good Moooorning Tyriaaa.”

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: catalystic.1074

catalystic.1074

I’d rather they didn’t. I’m not too keen on shoving references into games, particularly when it feels forced.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Put pop culture references in GW2? not really…..now if this were GW1 where you literally can’t do one quest without reading one…….

Posted by: Milkduds.7109

Milkduds.7109

But… why? I liked Robin William’s work. He was a big part of my childhood from Aladdin as a tot to Dead Poet’s Society when I was finishing up high school, but why put a reference to him in the game above, well, all the other iconic people who die in our world?

I don’t understand when people ask for stuff like this.

“All is Vain…”

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

This isn’t WoW. I haven’t seen many if any pop culture references in this game. Geek/Nerd culture yes.

A perfume that gives you herpes harpies… because it’s literally harpy pheromones (although that doesn’t particularly make sense, if you think about it, since harpies are female and procreate by abducting and doing inappropriate things with male asura).

Captain Planet/Power Rangers reference through Golem Battles.

There’s a lot more, I’m just not thinking well right now.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I don’t understand when people ask for stuff like this.

It’s just an emotional reaction. It will wear out after a few days.

Posted by: mike.5476

mike.5476

well, you gotta admit that blizzard listens to its players. it would be cool to see A-net spontaneously add content or make fixes based on the communities input.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/13/world-of-warcraft-player-petition-leads-to-in-game-robin-williams-tribute/

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

This stunt is only somewhat justified in WoW, because the guy supposedly was an “avid” WoW player. Even then, I wish they had just done it for him while he was ALIVE, rather than wait til he was dead and can never see it. The rumours are, Williams may have committed suicide. What if he found out about such a tribute, just as he was contemplating offing himself? Maybe it would have made him laugh, and he would have stuck around.

But no, they are doing it NOW, because he is front page news again and they can ride that wave of media hype. If I really want to put on my tin foil hat, I might even challenge whether or not the “petition” was started by someone at Blizzard to begin with.

As far as I know, he never even heard of GW2. Why would this make any sense, other than as a publicity stunt? Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of Robin Williams, and if anyone at ANet is a huge fan and wants to put in a tribute, then go right ahead. But just because some actor dies, some random MMORPG need not feel compelled to insert a forced reference to him — especially as a reaction to what another MMORPG is already doing.

(edited by Fyrebrand.4859)

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

The reason Blizzard is doing it because he played W3 and WoW. Having Anet to take that fame just to honor him by using his name would be just marketing stun.

That would be rude.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t think he should be in the game. He was a great guy, amazingly funny and talented and he died a sad, unnecessary death. However he had no ties to this game. If they had added him in as an Easter egg at launch that would be different. But now? It would feel forced, like they were taking advantage of this publicity to score some publicity points of their own. Maybe in a year or two, an Easter egg reference could be put in.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Plenty out there, but they’re not exactly blatant. “You got your moa jerky in my yak butter.” “No you got your yak butter on my moa jerky!”

Two great tastes which go together.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

Plenty out there, but they’re not exactly blatant. “You got your moa jerky in my yak butter.” “No you got your yak butter on my moa jerky!”

Two great tastes which go together.

This is what I am talking about, its all over the game and yet very very subtle. No need for them go out and advertise “HEY WE ARE MEMORIALIZING ROBIN WILLIAMS IN THE GAME NOW!!!!” Just do what they always have.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If you think THAT is a Robin Williams reference…..I weep for literature….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

I don’t think he should be in the game.

Though I think the petition simply wants a marker or somesuch commemorating Robin Williams to be placed somewhere in the WoW in-game landscape, your idea of a Robin Williams-like NPC seems pretty interesting as well.

After all, WoW has (among others) an NPC named Haris Pilton.

Rouven.7409

I can’t say I read anything from that poet, out of the american ones I would be more a Robert Frost type. Aside from that you may weep, but you are missing the point.

Edit: Little side note, first I was exposed to Robert Frost that I remember was also through a movie, I believe it was called “Telephone” with Charles Bronson. Russian Sleeper Agents were activated over the phone with lines from the poem “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”. So who knows, you might do literature actually a favour by seeding it into movies and games etc.

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

I have a simple question. Is ANet by any chance going to put, into game, a Robin Williams tribute/effegy of some sort. GW2 is way better than WoW, but because he played that game, they are planning on putting a tribute in game, for this great man.
I was simple curious if there was any way that Guild Wars 2 might do that. Would be a sight too see.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

…Um?

I don’t mean to come off as insensitive but-

Did Robin Williams play Gw2?

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

My mom and dad were great people too. ANet should give them some sort of ingame reference.

But seriously, just because someone famous dies, great guy or not, it doesn’t mean something should be put in the game about them. Death is a fact of life. Eventually every famous person is going to die. They can’t all be put in the game. If they are going to be put in, they should have some sort of previous tie to Guild Wars 2. There is no indication that Robin Williams had ever even heard of Guild Wars 2, much less ever played it.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I agree with the point in this thread that adding a tribute for him in this game, when he supposedly had no ties to it, would be more rude than it would be tributary.
Guy was a great person, but you can’t just sling his name around to honor him. you’d be doing the opposite if you did that pointlessly.

He played WoW. It makes sense there.
Not here.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

We gotta 1 up WoW guises!

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I can’t say I read anything from that poet, out of the american ones I would be more a Robert Frost type. Aside from that you may weep, but you are missing the point.

You missed mine….the fact that you think it’s “not a big deal”, to misquote something like that is the problem. Even if YOU knew it was not a direct reference for Robin Williams, others reading it may not. THAT is the issue.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Rouven.7409

You missed mine….the fact that you think it’s “not a big deal”, to misquote something like that is the problem. Even if YOU knew it was not a direct reference for Robin Williams, others reading it may not. THAT is the issue.

I disagree. Sure it will be lost for some, but those people would have not shown interest in literature (or poems) in the first place. You either are the type who looks into quotes, checks out where they come from, who said them and why and maybe even how/if the use changed – or not.

It boils down to exposure and waking interest, that is always a good thing. If Robin William made it “cool” or interesting with his performance (not to forget the other actors and the movie in general) and makes it popular then that’s even better.

Regardless – I was more thinking about an easter egg sort of thing, I don’t agree with a big memorial or the sorts.

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

Wow, forget it. It was just a simple question. kitten

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

We can put the Robin Williams references in the same zones as the Nelson Mandela references.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I’ll never understand why people care about celebrities. It must be terrible to have a life so pathetic you need to idolize someone that doesn’t know you exist.

TL:DR: NO.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Only if there’s one about asphyxiation because let’s be honest, if he didn’t kill himself none of you would be asking for these achievements so that act is pretty much the pinnacle of you wanting these things in game.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Why stop at Robin Williams, why not a Dead Thespians Society? A tribute to every dead actor ever. It’s about time ANet got a “dead team” to work alongside their “live team”. Regular updates as currently living actors kick the proverbial or literal bucket in times to come. It will be glorious! Die, and become immortalized, at the very reasonable price of 800 gems.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

In game HOUSE OF WAX!

Where Heath Ledge will look just like say Cory Monteith just with different hair and heights (but proportions will remaining largely the same…it’s not like bodies are to scale)

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

I’ll never understand why people care about celebrities. It must be terrible to have a life so pathetic you need to idolize someone that doesn’t know you exist.

TL:DR: NO.

I concur. I don’t understand why people read the tabloids or whatever. Who cares what so and so wore where. It’s actually beyond pathetic. The things that are reported about celebrities is mind boggling. Who gives a kitten, sheesh.

And if the OP is concerned about backlash for this topic, just sit back and think about it for a minute. It’s not rocket science. Just because he died and a lot of people are sad is positively no reason whatsoever to include any references to him in game, that is unless he played it and gave it plugs here and there on shows and whatnot. He didn’t, so what sense would it make to include his stuff. Are they going to do that for every celebrity who dies?

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It’s only a publicity stunt if you don’t do it tastefully. There’s nothing wrong with tributes as long as they are tributes at heart and not tainted by other things.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: brunana.8519

brunana.8519

A fascination with ‘celebrities’ has been a feature of a lot of human culture for hundreds of years, even before Lord Byron, so it’s not like it’s a new phenomenon. I think it has something to do with the silliness of life that keeps us distracted from the inevitable suffering and death to come.

Vaspara: Necromancer; Malushka: Mesmer
(Piken Square)
Twitter: @susieteacake

Posted by: kylwilson.9137

kylwilson.9137

Laughing at people assuming that the devs were as culturally devoid as the player-base.

We got a huge pop-culture reference in the Mordry back piece alone for Christ’s sake. I say bring it on. Final Fantasy XIV does this so well. From “Not a Materia Girl” to a quest called “Breaking Bud” not to mention a few Mariah Carey ones floating around.

I think the F.A.T.E: “It’s Not Lupus” in which your goal is the kill a giant crab named ‘Cancer’ really hit it home as well.

Puns definitely go a long way to getting it right.

Let’s face it, the public interest in fame and the celebrity has been around since the early days of Rome. So let’s not all go and pretend like it’s some kind of wicked new development just because a group of players refuse to leave the house.

As for implementing Robin Williams related achievements: I’d have to lean towards no. Lauren Bacall passed away at the same time Robin Williams did, I’d like a bit of equality in terms of such an impacting actress like her getting some referencing too out of respect, but it’s a fine line. Considering how Robin chose to end it all. Very touchy.

\o/