Role playing community in GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: knight.4379

knight.4379

Tarnished Coast was supposed to be the ‘unofficial’ RP server and I have been in that server since pre release but sadly it seems it’s nearly non existent. How are the other servers? I mean of course you have those mini group of Rpers you see rarely. But the numbers have dwindled to where you hardly see them ever anymore. What happened?

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

I come across RP all the time on TC… when I’m not in overflow. Lots of guesting happening right now.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

knight.4379

Okay, usually the only spot I see an RPer is at the divinity’s reach tavern. You cannot deny that the role playing community seems to be quite down in population in this game. Curious as to why.

Posted by: Vlawde.1895

Vlawde.1895

Me too. I hear very little RP on TC. You can do that on any server, don’t see why it has to be a specific one

vince.5937

My wife & I see it daily. It’s there. It’s usually never near renown hearts or event areas. Disruption & whatnot.

Long Live Atlas Park 33

knight.4379

There should be more organized RP which is why I requested a forum section for that specifically. The tavern RP is only one type of RP while the rest of the world is empty with it, which I heavily pray for is assessed later to maybe give RP players more options (like dueling!? lol)

Posted by: Grizledorf.5290

Grizledorf.5290

Okay, usually the only spot I see an RPer is at the divinity’s reach tavern. You cannot deny that the role playing community seems to be quite down in population in this game. Curious as to why.

It’s because of Quaggan/Plush Charr backpacks, Afro puffs on Asuras. The bow that shoots unicorns, the pistol that makes annoying party noises.

It’s because none of the Devs role play. No news or patch notes ever posted have any role playing in them. Also there is a very lose naming policy, that further discourages Role playing.

Another reason is that a lot of RP people are stifling and elitist who tell boring stories and have issues against letting outsiders join in the fun. and another reason is that the male norn in all pink armor named X Princess Dankbudz X wearing a quaggan backpack and boxing gloves while riding a broom stick called all of you guys Nerds and that further discourages role playing.

I Rp all the time, it’s pretty subtle tho as I don’t turn on walk and hang out near the pub all afternoon.

Posted by: cherrycola.3127

cherrycola.3127

There is still lots of RP on TC, it’s just mostly kept out of high-population areas to avoid trolling and overflow. Divinity’s Reach is by far the most popular RP spot; for pickup RP try the Rurikton district, the Ossan district (especially the big unnamed bar which players refer to as the Golden Sun), and the Busted Flagon in the Western Commons. People also occasionally roleplay in hub cities like the Grove and out on world maps. The Queensdale hunting lodge is another popular spot that comes to mind. Personally my guild roleplays a lot in Ebonhawke.

You can check http://guildwars2roleplayers.com/ to find some of the other places RPers like to hang out.

Athayne Elora, Ele
Tarnished Coast

knight.4379

It’s because of Quaggan/Plush Charr backpacks, Afro puffs on Asuras. The bow that shoots unicorns, the pistol that makes annoying party noises.

It’s because none of the Devs role play. No news or patch notes ever posted have any role playing in them. Also there is a very lose naming policy, that further discourages Role playing.

Another reason is that a lot of RP people are stifling and elitist who tell boring stories and have issues against letting outsiders join in the fun. and another reason is that the male norn in all pink armor named X Princess Dankbudz X wearing a quaggan backpack and boxing gloves while riding a broom stick called all of you guys Nerds and that further discourages role playing.

I Rp all the time, it’s pretty subtle tho as I don’t turn on walk and hang out near the pub all afternoon.

So sad… But so true…

Posted by: VulShanna.5702

VulShanna.5702

I’m actually looking for a roleplaying guild right now on SoS, but no luck so far.

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

There is still lots of RP on TC, it’s just mostly kept out of high-population areas to avoid trolling and overflow. Divinity’s Reach is by far the most popular RP spot; for pickup RP try the Rurikton district, the Ossan district (especially the big unnamed bar which players refer to as the Golden Sun), and the Busted Flagon in the Western Commons. People also occasionally roleplay in hub cities like the Grove and out on world maps. The Queensdale hunting lodge is another popular spot that comes to mind. Personally my guild roleplays a lot in Ebonhawke.

You can check http://guildwars2roleplayers.com/ to find some of the other places RPers like to hang out.

I thought I was like well the only one really RPing on my server. I never saw anyone do it… I’m not hardcore about I just relax doing it.. That link… I got 1 more reason to keep playing now, I’m just sad that RPing in EU is kinda dead. I was in this server last night, around 8 pm, me and 3 other players 4 manned Behemoth it was pretty awesome!

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

I can and do deny it. I run into it all over the world, pretty much everywhere. I don’t think the role playing community is down at all.

Have you tried looking on http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/ if you’re not finding it on your own? You could try attending any of the many events listed there.

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

How does one RP in an MMO? This one in particular has a dearth of emotes. Do you just speak in-character in the chat? Don’t a lot of comments get lost on a popular server?

cherrycola.3127

How does one RP in an MMO? This one in particular has a dearth of emotes. Do you just speak in-character in the chat? Don’t a lot of comments get lost on a popular server?

How people RP differs from game to game. In GW2 most people RP via /say (for dialogue) and /me (for actions and occasional dialogue). Sometimes folks use the few gesture emotes we have, /yes /no /shrug /kneel /sleep all that good stuff, but using emotes is not considered important particularly since we don’t have many. At very well-attended events where it gets impossible to follow the chat window, many people start putting both their dialogue and actions all into /say so others can read the chat bubbles above characters’ heads instead.

Athayne Elora, Ele
Tarnished Coast

cherrycola.3127

I thought I was like well the only one really RPing on my server. I never saw anyone do it… I’m not hardcore about I just relax doing it.. That link… I got 1 more reason to keep playing now, I’m just sad that RPing in EU is kinda dead. I was in this server last night, around 8 pm, me and 3 other players 4 manned Behemoth it was pretty awesome!

Glad you find the link helpful

Is your home server an NA server? If you ever transfer to an EU server, you might try visiting Piken Square. It’s the unofficial home for European roleplayers.

Athayne Elora, Ele
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

Also keep in mind that with the huge influx in guesters we’ve got on TC right now, we’re having HUGE trolling issues. Sadly, lots of the guesters seem to find amusement in spending their time jumping up and down on/dancing in the middle of/say spamming in RP events, which is a real drag. Not to mention some real mean-spirited stuff I’ve seen in /map. Before, this sort of thing was quite rare, but now it’s growing more and more commonplace. Most of the RPers I know are RPing out in the world these days and avoiding the big city/high traffic areas.

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Posted by: schizandra.4587

schizandra.4587

How people RP differs from game to game. In GW2 most people RP via /say (for dialogue) and /me (for actions and occasional dialogue). Sometimes folks use the few gesture emotes we have, /yes /no /shrug /kneel /sleep all that good stuff, but using emotes is not considered important particularly since we don’t have many. At very well-attended events where it gets impossible to follow the chat window, many people start putting both their dialogue and actions all into /say so others can read the chat bubbles above characters’ heads instead.

Thanks for clarifying. Is it improv or do people meet up on OOC forums to discuss predetermined storylines? I guess that depends on the group too, huh?

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

1. Any RPer worth their salt can incorporate those things (afros? come on, those are a hair style just as legit as pigtails for crying out loud) into their writing and work with them.
2. Devs don’t roleplay because it would be seen as unprofessional. I never roleplay with my clients even when I know they’re roleplayers and when they try to roleplay with me when discussing business. This game is their business.
3. The character’s name displayed on their nameplate does not matter since your character wouldn’t know their name anyway. If you ask in-character, often you’ll get a name like “John Smith” or whatever instead of “XxPhat KillzxX.”

I agree that the trolling is getting out of hand, though. I can ignore it myself (how sad are you that you have to get your jollies picking on other nerds in a MMORPG?) but it scares off other roleplayers.

knight.4379

I have before seen RP in the wilderness and outside of taverns. However I’m mainly considering the population of these players. Thank you for the link though very much appreciated

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I run across RP Guilds everywhere. Kessex down by the lakeside town where the Krait attack. The Huntsman tavern in Queensland. The cliffside bar in LA on weekends. There are several taverns in DR in the various neighborhoods where I see RP happening. Rurikton come to mind of late.

In Hoelbrak, there is usually something happening at hot springs and in the various lodges.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

I don’t RP myself, but when out exploring (My home server is TC), I have come across plenty of charr RP guilds. Those seem perty neat. Mainly done like recruits/scouting/military theme RP so its definatly different then the “town/human” RP.
I do think the guesting has ruined alot of things (world events in particular, Maw Event done in 5 seconds…ya) & its sad to see people making fun of/trolling RP’rs.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

This is what happens when TC residents kept advertising their server to non-RPers, and especially when one random person decided to make TC the unofficial PvE event server

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

Tarnished Coast was supposed to be the ‘unofficial’ RP server and I have been in that server since pre release but sadly it seems it’s nearly non existent. How are the other servers? I mean of course you have those mini group of Rpers you see rarely. But the numbers have dwindled to where you hardly see them ever anymore. What happened?

Rrrrrreally?

Every night in taverns, alot of RPers… so much in fact there is overflow.
We have our own radio station DJ playing last night…

But yeah the population drop maybe some decided to RP in another game.

(edited by Soulstar.7812)

Posted by: iced cooly.5794

iced cooly.5794

Sorry to sound dumb

But what do you mean by role players in GW2? I ask because it is an RPG game and every time I log into the game I consider my self to be “role playing”, wheather I am running a dungeon, fractal, crafting, playing story mode or taking part in any dynamic event. I also consider everyone else who logs into the game to be role playing as that is exactly what they are doing, playing a “role playing game”.

So what is it that you consider to be role playing exactly? What is it you do in these taverns?

Thanks

Posted by: TottWriter.8591

TottWriter.8591

Sorry to sound dumb

But what do you mean by role players in GW2? I ask because it is an RPG game and every time I log into the game I consider my self to be “role playing”, wheather I am running a dungeon, fractal, crafting, playing story mode or taking part in any dynamic event. I also consider everyone else who logs into the game to be role playing as that is exactly what they are doing, playing a “role playing game”.

So what is it that you consider to be role playing exactly? What is it you do in these taverns?

Thanks

Roleplaying is distinct in that it is playing “in character”, so, interacting with other characters/players as though you are the person your avatar represents. It involves creating a personality and/or backstory for your character that fits with the lore of the world, and talking/behaving as though you are that character.

There’s a lot of variation in how people go about that – some people are “In character” all the time, and will interact with everyone they meet as though they are their character, but those people are in the minority. Most RPers seek out RP when they want to, and PvE or PvP any other activity “out of character”, and some only RP occasionally.

If you see someone talking about in-game events as though they are real, walking, or longer, detailed emotes describing activities the game doesn’t support (such as sitting in a chair, or interacting with another character by shaking their hand or clapping them on the back etc.), chances are they’re a roleplayer.

To buy character slots or not to buy character slots. That is the test of my restraint.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

There’s RP everywhere on TC. I’m not sure how you’re not seeing it. I even encounter it in open world gameplay pretty often. My main and another character were walking across queensdale the other day and came across no less than 9 people in active RP.

It’s pervasive in Divinity’s Reach. You can “overhear” it just about everywhere in the city. Not as much in the other cities. There are a few hotspots in Lion’s Arch.

My guild is all about “adventuring” and RPing outside of hotspots. Open world stuff.

Posted by: Arcanorum Ignis.9218

Arcanorum Ignis.9218

I don’t really know why everyone still calls MMOs like GW2 ‘Role-playing’ games, considering probably less than 1% of the total players are actual role-players.
‘Online action/adventure game’ would be more appropriate.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

TC still has a lot of RP but I have seen a decline in it. Guesting has brought in a lot of people who could care less about RP and even worse it has brought in the trolls who think it great fun to torment RP’rs.

So there has become less in open areas and it has become more secluded.

knight.4379

There’s RP everywhere on TC. I’m not sure how you’re not seeing it. I even encounter it in open world gameplay pretty often. My main and another character were walking across queensdale the other day and came across no less than 9 people in active RP.

It’s pervasive in Divinity’s Reach. You can “overhear” it just about everywhere in the city. Not as much in the other cities. There are a few hotspots in Lion’s Arch.

My guild is all about “adventuring” and RPing outside of hotspots. Open world stuff.

9 RPers in Queensdale is very few in my opinion. And I am trying to diverse away from any tavern RP and talking about the majority of people that RP, you don’t see them in every area. You most likely see them in either Queensdale, divinity’s reach, small part of Lions arch. That itself shows the population drop of Rpers in the game as you only see a handful a day. They are never in many of the other areas in the game or even WvWvW which I thought would be quite a place to RPPvP.

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

I run into RP everywhere. Completely randomly. I just start acting in character, say a random comment and " BOOM* there is a crowd around me role playing in character with me. I haven’t come across " trolls" as such myself. Even those I come across that don’t really role play have been respective. Other then the TOTAL lack of several emotes and a broken town clothing head option that was working but still ISN’T… and much needed influx of town clothing that was said would be in the game but still ISN’T — its been a great community. Doesn’t mean I do not miss a proper RP MMO like City of Heroes like crazy. ( come on, more emotes more real cosmetic options, not goofy crap like these stupid backpacks)

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

I roleplay as a troll in mapchat, does that count?

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

RP is everywhere on TC. I don’t have the faintest clue how you could not be finding it. There is a very strong community of large RP based guilds that worth together in one big community. We have ministers, seraphs, criminals, business owners, noble houses, etc. RP is very much so alive and well and I frequently run into people RPing in the weirdest of locales.

Look in the taverns in DR and Ebonhawke. Look in the taverns in Queensdale. Those seem to be the most popular locations that I have seen, but there is frequently RP throughout the world.

knight.4379

RP is everywhere on TC. I don’t have the faintest clue how you could not be finding it. There is a very strong community of large RP based guilds that worth together in one big community. We have ministers, seraphs, criminals, business owners, noble houses, etc. RP is very much so alive and well and I frequently run into people RPing in the weirdest of locales.

Look in the taverns in DR and Ebonhawke. Look in the taverns in Queensdale. Those seem to be the most popular locations that I have seen, but there is frequently RP throughout the world.

Please refer to my previous comment. Do you really see Rpers in Orr? In WvW? In
Gendarren fields etc? Idk where your playing but I see no RP in those areas.

vince.5937

2. Devs don’t roleplay because it would be seen as unprofessional. I never roleplay with my clients even when I know they’re roleplayers and when they try to roleplay with me when discussing business. This game is their business.

Paragon Studios ran City of Heroes for 8 years, releasing major content patches every 3 months and they roleplayed with their players. It can be, and has been, done. Nothing unprofessional about it.

Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

I have personally RPed in Gendarren Fields, and it lead to others joining in with me and my friend, but this was before guesting was put in. The other two places you mentioned are a bit different.

Orr on TC just doesn’t make sense. It is supposed to be the scariest place on Tyria with Risen totally over running it, but instead in game with all the guesting and farming going on, it feels more like we are invaders of the last refuge for the Risen playing whack-a-mole as soon as they come up out of the ground.

I was able to RP a little in WvW, but PvPing and emoting is tough and the people hardcore into the WvW ranking get all pissy over it.

I really wish Anet would give us an official RP server. One with a naming policy and strict rules against trolling. Because the last time I did open world RP it eventually turned into emoting in party chat because RPing in /e or /s was like a dinner bell for trolls.

In my experience with MMO’s the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so I suggest us RPers get more vocal or else we will just fade away to other games. We want more emotes, more social clothing, and the biggest one for me is a place where like minded people can be free of those who only wish to ruin our fun.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I often see people RPing in open world. I wanna try to join them, but they seem to be rather intimidating, and they seem to be in their own world already :|

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

knight.4379

I have personally RPed in Gendarren Fields, and it lead to others joining in with me and my friend, but this was before guesting was put in. The other two places you mentioned are a bit different.

Orr on TC just doesn’t make sense. It is supposed to be the scariest place on Tyria with Risen totally over running it, but instead in game with all the guesting and farming going on, it feels more like we are invaders of the last refuge for the Risen playing whack-a-mole as soon as they come up out of the ground.

I was able to RP a little in WvW, but PvPing and emoting is tough and the people hardcore into the WvW ranking get all pissy over it.

I really wish Anet would give us an official RP server. One with a naming policy and strict rules against trolling. Because the last time I did open world RP it eventually turned into emoting in party chat because RPing in /e or /s was like a dinner bell for trolls.

In my experience with MMO’s the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so I suggest us RPers get more vocal or else we will just fade away to other games. We want more emotes, more social clothing, and the biggest one for me is a place where like minded people can be free of those who only wish to ruin our fun.

That is something I wish they would clarify. Do they have any plans for RPers? Any new emotes, dueling? You make exactly the effect I’m having. I try to RP in open world but it seems as if we are frowned upon. And the lack of attention by Anet seems to be as if they themselves frown upon us.

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

I often see people RPing in open world. I wanna try to join them, but they seem to be rather intimidating, and they seem to be in their own world already :|

There are some people that are in their own little worlds when they RP, but alot of people would love more characters to jump in while they are RPing.
If you haven’t tried this already, I would suggest posting a quick emote in /e letting the people know you are in character some along the lines of “Banono weary from the road stops to catch her breath by the fire.” (Or something that fits where ever you may be.).

When I RP in the open world I see alot of people run up, stop and stare for a few minutes before running off again, and I am not sure if they are going AFK, just an observer, or wanting in.

@Knight. Thanks for making this thread. I hope maybe we can get a Dev response on if they do have any plans for us RPers. Because we are some of the easiest people to please. All we need is some pretty clothes, a few animated emotes, and a troll free environment to entertain us for years.

Posted by: Anchorwind.9016

Anchorwind.9016

and a troll free environment to entertain us for years.

That’s the tough part right there though, isn’t it?

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

9 RPers in Queensdale is very few in my opinion. And I am trying to diverse away from any tavern RP and talking about the majority of people that RP, you don’t see them in every area. You most likely see them in either Queensdale, divinity’s reach, small part of Lions arch. That itself shows the population drop of Rpers in the game as you only see a handful a day. They are never in many of the other areas in the game or even WvWvW which I thought would be quite a place to RPPvP.

There’s no way you could RP in WvW. You’d just get left behind by the zerg and be useless deadweight.

I should mention that I only saw maybe 20 people playing in the areas of queensdale we were walking through. Nearly half of them actively RP is a significant percentage. I RP a lot…and it still doesn’t add up to half my total in-game time.

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

Sorry to sound dumb

Thanks

You don’t sound dumb. It’s a good question, and I think TottWriter gave a very good answer, but I’d like to expand on it a bit. I often think that in discussions about roleplaying (in an MMO, specifically), people are talking about two different things.

Person A may be talking about what I think of as roleplaying ‘with the game’ as opposed to with other people. It’s the type of roleplaying that you’re doing in a single player RPG and that the personal storyline in GW2 was obviously designed for. You are the protagonist playing through a linear story where the game itself is largely defining your character for you. It tends to be a somewhat solitary endeavor, although there are creative ways that people can come up with to include others in their own personal story progression. I suspect this is what you’re describing when you say that you always feel like you’re roleplaying.

Person B may be talking about roleplaying with other players in an interactive and dynamic way, and where the setting informs your character, but does not define him or her; you do that yourself. Of course, our characters are always the stars of their own stories, but when interacting with others, in a shared setting, it can become a little more difficult to incorporate the elements of a linear storyline. Players will often make up their own stories and adventures that are smaller and more personal than the overriding story the game provides, and that can reasonably include other characters without the need to explain how it is that we are all the second in command of the Pact or deal with wonky leaps in time (i.e. Zhaitan is dead for one character, but not yet dead for another). I suspect this is also why you’ll often see a lot of ‘small talk’ happening when you encounter RP in the wild, and also why a lot of RP tends to focus on romance or other interpersonal relationships; after all ‘getting to know others’ is what we naturally do and fits into pretty much any setting and genre.

Okay, that last point was a little weak, but I hope I mostly got across what I was trying to say.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

knight.4379

There’s no way you could RP in WvW. You’d just get left behind by the zerg and be useless deadweight.

I should mention that I only saw maybe 20 people playing in the areas of queensdale we were walking through. Nearly half of them actively RP is a significant percentage. I RP a lot…and it still doesn’t add up to half my total in-game time.

If I go into WvW I don’t plan to RP in a Zerg. I plan to slowly move across the areas and take camps or join in smaller fights and simply RP as a rank within an army at least. The simple fact we see none of this in WvW just sucks and i feel the comment itself is closing to the idea of RPing to an RP for a pvp area. I always loved RPPvP servers so it brings more back to that feeling of being on your toes.

knight.4379

Any devs that can expand on the plans for RP?

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

If I go into WvW I don’t plan to RP in a Zerg. I plan to slowly move across the areas and take camps or join in smaller fights and simply RP as a rank within an army at least. The simple fact we see none of this in WvW just sucks and i feel the comment itself is closing to the idea of RPing to an RP for a pvp area. I always loved RPPvP servers so it brings more back to that feeling of being on your toes.

I’m not an rper myself, but I was impressed with the rp-pvp server communities in Age of Conan, though open world pvp rp really has to be in open world, so I don’t think it will ever work on here in WvW where there’s no down time and not much off the road player generated content. This WvW isn’t a living game world, it’s a large spvp map, you pretty much know what everyone’s story is because they were all in the same zerg as you or just got ran over by the same zerg.

Kash
NSP

knight.4379

Well not necessarily. It could simply be we are apart of a united force etc. camping out and so many options. The issue is, Anet doesent publicly ‘sponsor’ us RPers as an actual player necessarily