Roles/Endgame thoughts

Roles/Endgame thoughts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Maelzrael.8142

Maelzrael.8142

I’m finding after roughly 6 months of play that roles are important to mmo’s. The reason is that roles make you feel important. I love my necromancer and my mesmer to death.. but there is no need for them in a group. Sure mesmers have time warp, and necros can do some serious condition damage(amoung other talents for each class).. but without roles.. or the need for them.. It kinda seems like theres no reason to be one class over another. They can all perform all roles.. and theres no content that requires any specific class/role to complete.

I think Gw2 is an amazing game.. i think the idea that any class can perform any of the Gw2 roles is great. But i think some changes need to happen to make the game truely epic.

1. Raids: we need a reason to get full exotics.. we need a reason to need all the classes/roles to be filled. And we need a reason to Use those exotics.

2. Roles: we need more clearly defineable roles in order to make building a build to suite that role meaningful. I am not saying we need the trinity, im saying we need a reason to be a control mesmer or a condition necro, a reason to be a tank-esk warrior or a support gaurdian.

Sum: We need more endgame options/progression, and we need the class and build you choose to matter more.

Side note: At level 80 all areas of the game should offer roughly the same rewards as the dungeons.. currently only dungeons grant enough money to be worth doing, exploring/de’s and other game content dont offer much of a reward to speak of and therefore feel sorta pointless save the experience of seeing it all. I hope Arenanet sees all this as well and makes a move towards adding more complexity to the game and evening things out.. Practicing more of what they preached while making being a level 80 with full exotics worth something other then “im cool look at me”.\

Thats it thanks for reading if you did. Comment and post.. but dont troll, thats rude.

Enlightening the minds of the youth.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

Sum: We need more endgame options/progression, and we need the class and build you choose to matter more.

More content is coming. Also, the Class and Build I have matters plenty. I’m built to tank and provide buffs, and it’s totally working.

BTW, I love mesmers in a party. I love to smash my hammer in their chaos storm, and see chaos armor applied to the whole party.

This is a different game. This isn’t that other game. Learn how this game works, and you might like it better.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: Omega.1473

Omega.1473

A) Why couldn’t this be posted in one of the other threads on the same topic? This is not a troll comment, its just that for the people who are vehemently against this notion, it makes it a chore to show up in each and every thread to voice our opinion against it, lest the developers make another bone head move and think that a vocal minority should dictate the game’s direction (ala Ascended Gear and Fractals)

B) I disagree with points 1, 2 and the summary.
1 – A large selling point of this game was the appeal of NOT needing specific roles in order to complete content. This game was advertised as having any group content completeable by any random assortment of 5 players. To take this away and require specific roles being filled would remove a lot of the magic in this game for me and I’m sure many others. Why do you want certain roles to be needed? Is it because you don’t feel needed? Is it because in order to enjoy the game, you want to feel important? I’m sorry, but that mentality is what drove me away from so many other games.

2 – No thank you. This game has finally allowed my characters to break the mold and play as fully independent entities that are also boons to those around them. Specialization requires deficiency in order to stand out. While that works great for those who thrive on the attention they receive from others being dependent on them for survival, it ruins a game for those who hate having to depend on others in order to feel complete.

I’m sorry but making such a change would ruin the game for me. I’m not alone either. You’d know that if you read some of the similar threads….and did the responsible thing and just posted there instead.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

What roles? Damage dealing with mindless button spamming while dodging like a CODkid high on pixie sticks? There are no roles in this game, just mindless spamming with zero teamwork, strategy, and synergy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I always find my role for all the lv80 classes i built.

Warrior: i can burst heal with 3x shout saving allies from one down, fear me to buy time in revive allies or buy time for critical allies to relocate into somewhere safe. This is a role of Combat medic, not a dedicated heal but i can fight and support.

Mesmer: i can keep up confusion on multiple foes, i can interrupt foe high damage skill, i can reflect projectile, i can group condition removal, i can double the revive speed with time warp. My role is a Sentry, i stay back and watch out for my allies.

Guardian: i can give burst healing to nearby allies by shout, virtue, aegis and renewed focus for more virtue if needed. My hammer give protection and healing symbol to keep my melee allies up in a toe to toe tough fight. My role is a Combat healer, i can maintain my melee allies a current level of hp during nasty toe to toe situation.

Ele: i can give combo field to increase team damage, i can save the team from a wipe with my sandstorm. i can give constant AoE damage while still able to heal whenever allies is in needed. My water spell can do damage and heal at the same time while my water aura give constant regen. My role is a Healer. If team is in good shape, i can go fire and earth attunement and focus on damage, my role is now a nuker.

There are actually roles if you build it that way.

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Teamwork, strategy, and synergy.
I think this video explains enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-919RMwyfnk

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: Banzai.5681

Banzai.5681

I think what what would great would be server wide events for all to participate in. Example… A big world wandering bosses that gains in power and is not restricted to a single zone. It recruits certain kinds of mobs as they pass by, killing the others slowly building and army leaving a wake of devastation behind it. It’d all culminate in a massive invasion of Lion’s Arch and the surrounding areas… Just an idea

Could do one every month or so. Would be fun.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: Alf.9137

Alf.9137

OP, I must disagree as well with your views expressed.

I chose this game specifically because it was different than those other MMORPG’s we’ve all “enjoyed” in past and this is something extra.. fresh & new and I hope ARenaNet continue onwards down their own path and keep building on what they have, not going backwards and becoming just another clone.

There are roles, they’;re just not tied down to a profession but instead are expressed and delivered via builds, equipment etc and thus we get to enjoy many roles on a single character if that’s what we want.

Not having the trinity etc makes things much more dynamic and teamwork can be wonderful through using fields and finishers and boons. Great stuff.

I do hope they add more horizontal progression and deeper character development but not just by adding levels, higher level gear etc but through extra skills to obtain and learn, personal stuff etc.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Maelzrael.8142

Perhaps I didn’t explain my issue in the best words, as people seem to be thinking I want a WoW clone or something. I dont. I love Gw2 for what it is, i just think it needs a reason to build your character specific ways. Content that is difficult and rewarding enough that you need one of every class doing all kinds of things to complete it..

Chaos storm is my absolute favorite mesmer skill and the reason I run a staff build most of the time, however i find that there is no reason for me to do so other then the fact that i enjoy it. Nobody appreciates all the support skills im useing. Nobody needs my portal, and when i use it, say on CoF path 1 to get past the fire boulders, nobody cares. In some other games, you have to come up with all kinds of tactical uses for the skills of all the classes in the game, and you need one of every class in your group to complete certain areas. I’m really not trying to change what Gw2 has, as some people seem to interrpret this post, I want them to add to it. The big “raid” type content, such as the shatterer fight, are just zerg fests. That boss dies in less then 2 minutes 90% of the time, and the rewards are bleh. We need a reason kill him, and the challenge should meet the reward..

Give me a good reason to have my mesmer blink behind the boss at that key moment an drop a portal allowing a vast majority of players to get to safety(for example).

Perhaps its not that each class doesnt have the skills, or “matter”. Perhaps its that there is no content that requires us to get on vent and come up with a killer strategy to complete it.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

“I love my necromancer and my mesmer to death.. but there is no need for them in a group”

I think the important thing here is what you are overlooking. That being the opposite of what you are saying – that there is no reason to EXCLUDE you from any groups for any reason.

That was the point after all.

PS the game is not 6 months old yet, I checked my “age” in game yesterday and it said some 1300+ hours in the last 4 months and I started on early release.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Maelzrael.8142

The 6months thing is really unimportant here.. but I’ll take the correction.. except i was in the beta.. but still fair enough.
And I dont think that i’ve ever played a AAA mmo that had a class that was excluded from content.. so I’m not sure that was the point.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Maelzrael.8142

Also the only reason I’m pointing this out is that I’ve reached the wall of “why should i keep playing?” So I’m talking about it because I love this game and I want a reason to keep playing it for a long long time. If that offends anyone I’m sorry.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

There are already pretty defined roles, you just need to find a spec that does what you want.

You also claim there is no need for a mesmer or necro in groups… What?

Necro is a very nice damage dealer, signle and AoE, while at the same time an awesome debuffer/cleanser. All this while keeping very high survivability. They have 2 reliable weakness AoE debuffs.

Mesmer deals wonderful damage, has good survivability, even if full dps. Got a multitude of group friendly goodies in the form of debuffs, combo fields and reflects. They also have the best haste ingame. Massive burst damage.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

What roles? Damage dealing with mindless button spamming while dodging like a CODkid high on pixie sticks? There are no roles in this game, just mindless spamming with zero teamwork, strategy, and synergy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Legendary-Imbued-Shaman-requires-nerf/first#post1179670

Read the OP’s complaints there about how it can’t be pugged easily, and say again that there isn’t any teamwork, strategy or synergy.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Paulytnz.7619

The 6months thing is really unimportant here.. but I’ll take the correction.. except i was in the beta.. but still fair enough.
And I dont think that i’ve ever played a AAA mmo that had a class that was excluded from content.. so I’m not sure that was the point.

O.O

In many games you get “looking for dd, healer for xxx dungeon, no other classes please!” This is what Anet were looking to avoid when they decided to kill off the trinity. I guess you must have played very few mmos……

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Maelzrael.8142

Paul Damage dealers and healers are roles.. not classes.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Paulytnz.7619

Ok now you are just trying to confuse me and twist my words lol. I NEVER used the word “class” until you did:

“And I dont think that i’ve ever played a AAA mmo that had a class that was excluded from content”

My 1st post was trying to point out that Anet wanted to get rid of the problem of people’s “char” being excluded for any reason.

Your reply was the same as saying “i have never seen people be excluded from any content before”…..

However I will take some blame and rephrase my last comment just for you:

In many games you get “looking for dd, healer for xxx dungeon, no other classes/roles/whatever you want to call yourself please!”

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: Alf.9137

Alf.9137

Perhaps they’ll add something like Champion classes or Heroic Traits llater on to better define “roles” for end-game but I don’t want the starter professions becoming classes like other games but deeper horizontal development is rarely a bad thing.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Paulytnz.7619

I’ve been thinking the may/could add in some challenges/dungeons whatever that test our skills with each class by having it you can only enter them by being on that class.

Say 1 challenge could be you enter a small dungeon and have to escourt a small group. Obviously here you will need some support healing skills. Another one could be you have to “tank” an enemy so you obviously have to have that class built up for tanking as best you could.

Perhaps something like this could be the middle ground to cater to both types of players. The for and against the trinity players is what I mean. Personally I’m on the fence and could go either way, all depending on how Anet decides to deal with it in the future of course and how well done it is.

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Bring the player not the class, I am never playing a game again where I can’t play just because I chose a profession people don’t like in the meta.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Roles/Endgame thoughts

Maelzrael.8142

That sounds like a nice way to please both types of players paul. And more types of content for lvl 80s, or making the whole game actually viable “endgame” wouldnt hurt either.
Emikochan, if each class was needed for some particular reasons, wouldnt that kinda nullify your problem?
Also, why is a rogue different from a mage? (Useing basic classes here) A typical rogue can do alot of special things, Unlock chests, Disarm traps, stealth pull etc… A typical mage can also do alot of special things, Dispel chests/traps, elemental damage such as fire or ice which could have an impact of getting past certain obsticales..
Now Emiko, it sounds to me like you dont want classes to do special things like this, and that is my problem, I do. I want it to matter if you are a Rogue or a Mage, I want you to be needed either way, but i want it to matter.
When have you guys ever really seen “LF THIEF FOR COF P2!”? Not that often I’ll bet.
While on the one hand, this is great, because there is never a reason a group shouldnt bring a particular player, on the other hand it really makes each class kinda unimportant.
Perhaps I just want to be a special butterfly. >.< Idk. But In DOAC, one of the games this game emulates, Each class was extremely important for one or two reasons. Ie: Speed buffs, Single Pulls… etc. Not just Tank/heals/dps(which is super basic an boring) but other and far more important roles. Lots of games have had this up until WoW became the Game to be, then all other roles save the trinity were lost.
Gw2 Doesnt need roles, they need content that requires one of each class for one reason or another.. Imho.