Roll when hit the floor from falling?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HappyHour.6241

HappyHour.6241

As the title says, wouldn’t it be great if:

whenever we roll as soon as we hit the floor, the damage of would be avoided or perhaps reduced?

Just like parkour! It could create another element of immersion for combat.

What do you think?
Ps. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

-HH

Posted by: Nausiation.1469

Nausiation.1469

I agree with this completely. I always roll after falling just for immersion/fun, I would love if it did something.

HappyHour.6241

It would certainly improve gameplay especially on pvp/wvw!

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

Very good addition

Posted by: MercyKilling.8519

MercyKilling.8519

Currently, the only two games (one is still in beta, though) that I have seen that feature this are:

Warframe

and

Elder Scrolls Online.

Doubtful that it will ever be implemented here, but it’s a nice dream.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Currently, the only two games (one is still in beta, though) that I have seen that feature this are:

Warframe

and

Elder Scrolls Online.

Yes, very nice. 4-4-14 around the corner.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

That would make sense. . . that’s why it will never happen.

HappyHour.6241

One can always dream. Especially if a lot of people become interested, this can happen eventually. Im sure the engine is already capable of it(correct me if not).

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So a roll as you land will negate fall damage? Sounds like Legend of Zelda.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It sounds like there’s two different things being discussed here:

1) A simple animation change – instead of falling flat on their faces our characters roll when they land.

2) Rolling to negate fall damage, as in some Legend of Zelda games where you can fall hundreds of feet and as long as you roll at the bottom Link is completely unharmed.

Technically it should be possible to implement both of these relatively easily. There’s already roll animations for most (all?) races, used when you dodge so it would just be a matter of changing which one is used when you land. And in video games it’s actually harder to make a character take damage from falling than to land unharmed (and harder to make them fall than just keep walking straight ahead through the air).

The question is whether Anet would want to.

The first one I definitely think they should change. Every time I’m falling I find myself pressing the dodge button to try and roll (too much Zelda?) and it bothers me that my characters just fall on their faces when in other situations they’re perfectly capable of pulling off a maneuverer like a tuck and roll.

The second one I’m not so sure. I can see the benefits, especially if it happened automatically. So many times I’ve turned auto-run on, tabbed over to something else for just a second and come back to find myself dead at the bottom of a cliff. But on the other hand the current system of damage scaling with height is realistic and IMO some of the traits that trigger on falling are more interesting.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Rick.5781

Rick.5781

I like this idea and used to dodge roll on falls for the immersion and possibility it aided in avoiding falling over. I don’t now because my stamina is more important than immersion when getting ready to engage enemies.

Also, I dont think the point is to negate all damage, but to reduce it, similar to the traits that reduce fall damage by 50%. If you were to dodge roll at the correct time when hitting the ground, it could reduce your fall damage by 25%, prevent you from falling down on longer drops, or both.

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

for extra immersion i’d add a 30% chance of insta death/perma paralisys by breaking your neck for doing it wrong.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I admit, I have a habit of rolling at the bottom of a jump as well… particularly when there are mobs at the bottom.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I personally don’t feel that this should be implemented as we have traits for it and most damage can be avoided by watching where you drop down.

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

If it could be done like if you drop from a certain height you roll (still take some dmg), but more than a certain height and you face plant, that would be awesome.

HappyHour.6241

What about rolling when hitting the floor and getting a small swift boon if the roll was precisely executed when touching the ground?

Danikat, you couldn’t have said it better. Basically a combination of both.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

LOL! I thought I was the only one who rolled like that for a small level of immersion! This was a feature I thought of on day one of owning GW2 – slight falling dmg reduction if roll on landing. I like the neck-breaking suggestion from korelg, too

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

If it could be done like if you drop from a certain height you roll (still take some dmg), but more than a certain height and you face plant, that would be awesome.

best suggestion in the thread.

Posted by: Fakkahe.3108

Fakkahe.3108

This was possible in BWE, but was removed. Using leap right before you land also worked.

(edited by Fakkahe.3108)

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Warframe

and

Elder Scrolls Online.

Yes, very nice. 4-4-14 around the corner.

Yes! So excited!
I’m not leaving GW2 though, I’m playing both.

I love the roll after falling and I would like to see this in this game.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”