Rpers?

Rpers?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lankybird.8149

Lankybird.8149

I do not RP, so it never crossed my mind until I saw someone mention it in a forum. How would anyone RP in this game? ZERO ALMOST no emotes and the same goes for town clothes let alone any social events. Unless you count mini games which I do not. So I am just curious is there any real RP community in GW2? I like emotes just to be goofy same with town clothes but how frustrated must you all be?

Rpers?

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Long before there were emotes, people RPed. I"m pretty sure emotes don’t equal RP. I’m an old school RPers who can’t RP because emotes are just silly.

Rpers?

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

You are correct. GW2 is one of the least RP friendly MMOs ever made. That’s unlikely to change anytime soon. RPers are not their “target audience”.

One – Piken Square

Rpers?

Lankybird.8149

Yeah, I remember seeing more people “RP” from time to time any other MMO like star wars Galaxies. I wonder if GW2 will ever have an RP server. I do not mind them if they are not in my way, its only in large events I would be angry if I see someone RPing on the side of a lane in Marionette

Rpers?

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah, I remember seeing more people “RP” from time to time any other MMO like star wars Galaxies. I wonder if GW2 will ever have an RP server. I do not mind them if they are not in my way, its only in large events I would be angry if I see someone RPing on the side of a lane in Marionette

ANet has absolutely no plans for additional RP support and an RP server is likely never going to happen.

Hell, it took a serious kittenstorm to convince them to add walking into the game.

One – Piken Square

Rpers?

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yeah, those of us on the unofficial RP servers manage okay to RP. The lack of emotes does stink, but we are able to make do. I have a lot of fun with it, still.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Rpers?

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

Uh, GW2 has one of the biggest RP communities I’ve seen in an MMO. Check out Tarnished Coast and Piken Square, you’ll practically trip over them.

You are correct. GW2 is one of the least RP friendly MMOs ever made. That’s unlikely to change anytime soon. RPers are not their “target audience”.

On the contrary, this is about as good as it gets these days. Maybe if pre-CU SWG were still around and Vanguard had an actual population there’d be a legit alternative.

Rpers?

Posted by: spiritus.7983

spiritus.7983

they start it with town clothes for RP but I think the ideea is preaty much abbandoned for more then a year. Even that I thing RP-ers will spend alot of gems if they find something they like on TP. Right now they have only cooking outfit and… hats?

Evil, GH -Charr rule.
A Skritt is dumb. A group of Skritt are smart.
A Human is smart. A group of Humans are idiots.

Rpers?

Posted by: Wrenn Haldane.3208

Wrenn Haldane.3208

I rarely see RPers on Darkhaven. Thank goodness.

Rpers?

Lilith Ajit.6173

I rarely see RPers on Darkhaven. Thank goodness.

=/ why?

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Rpers?

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Which begs the question of who they are targeting nowadays. Anybody know?

Rpers?

Lilith Ajit.6173

Gem shop buyers. (I’m one of those, but no longer, I say, no longer!)

[ARES]

Rpers?

Lankybird.8149

So a couple of “unofficial servers” are RPing and that why I see none on Henge Of Denvari? And I find it hard to believe there is a big group of RPers. and yes SWG was best game of all time for ANYTHING not just RP. RIP SWG

Rpers?

Lilith Ajit.6173

“And I find it hard to believe there is a big group of RPers.”

I have seen hoards of RPers on my server. I see it in explorable zones, I see it in ALL cities, we have guilds that trek around RPing with 50+ people at a time.

[ARES]

Rpers?

Lankybird.8149

“And I find it hard to believe there is a big group of RPers.”

I have seen hoards of RPers on my server. I see it in explorable zones, I see it in ALL cities, we have guilds that trek around RPing with 50+ people at a time.

Maybe it is just my server then. Or maybe my own tunnel vision, that I have not once seen somebody RP on Henge Of Denvari. I hang out in cities in my down time run all around map for the completion and pug many groups for dungeons.

Rpers?

Lilith Ajit.6173

Nah, its really only present on two servers: Tarnished Coast (NA) and Piken Square (EU). RP’ers are bullied too much to do it often on other servers.

[ARES]

Rpers?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

the only things RP players need is a keyboard and imagination.

Rpers?

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

is there any guide how to rpg ?

i like that idea but i never tried rpg

Rpers?

Lilith Ajit.6173

This website can give you information!

http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/

[ARES]

Rpers?

Posted by: Aven.7295

Aven.7295

We were Role playing in Gw1, by comparrison gw2 was a huge improvement for it.

Aven Scorchfield, lvl 80 Guardian
Server: Maguma
Guild: Judgement [Eye]

Rpers?

Posted by: Coenraad.8302

Coenraad.8302

I don’t roleplay atm, but i found quite a few who do on Piken Square. I think RP’ ing is quite cool.

Rpers?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

You can RP any game, with or without emotes.

Sometimes when I am running through a starter area and come across a lowbie downed, I will revive them and then say something like “Be careful out here, these <monster type> don’t take too kindly to strange <insert race>.” It’s the only time I actually RP, that or if I’m with some guildies and we do it ironically. Secretly I enjoy it though. Especially on my Charr. I love saying “stupid human” to people.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Rpers?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

you can emote /me or /e if i remember correctly.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Rpers?

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

Sometimes when I am running through a starter area and come across a lowbie downed, I will revive them and then say something like “Be careful out here, these <monster type> don’t take too kindly to strange <insert race>.” It’s the only time I actually RP, that or if I’m with some guildies and we do it ironically. Secretly I enjoy it though. Especially on my Charr. I love saying “stupid human” to people.

On that note I love being on an asura, when waiting somewhere for whatever reason telling the charr who is waiting next to me to not snack on my ears! Got quite some funny responses out of that.

Rpers?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I don’t understand the concept of roleplaying very well tbh. What even do roleplayers usually… do? I just went on the website that Lilith posted above but I’m not sure if it’s more so of writing stories like Fan-fiction or going ingame and pretending to be superheroes/villains or what.

I also should note that due to an MMO I was a part of for almost a decade (Runescape), I have a tendency to feel kind of creeped out by even thinking about that word. A lot of people on that game took things of that nature to extremely creepy levels, like cybering… (insert cringe/face of disapproval here)

I’m not sure if that’s part of the reason why Arenanet might be hesitant to add additional support for roleplaying communities, but I guess it’s worth considering the possibility of it being the case?

Either way just because I don’t want to have anything to do with it doesn’t mean I shouldn’t hope the best for those that do. Hopefully they’ll add an official server for you or something like that one day.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Rpers?

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Do not want to mention other games but GW2 engine seems weak to get RP stuff working on.

Old mmo’s still do this far better, and the next gen mmo’s (sandbox games) look interesting.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Rpers?

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

I don’t understand the concept of roleplaying very well tbh. What even do roleplayers usually… do? I just went on the website that Lilith posted above but I’m not sure if it’s more so of writing stories like Fan-fiction or going ingame and pretending to be superheroes/villains or what.

I also should note that due to an MMO I was a part of for almost a decade (Runescape), I have a tendency to feel kind of creeped out by even thinking about that word. A lot of people on that game took things of that nature to extremely creepy levels, like cybering… (insert cringe/face of disapproval here)

I’m not sure if that’s part of the reason why Arenanet might be hesitant to add additional support for roleplaying communities, but I guess it’s worth considering the possibility of it being the case?

Either way just because I don’t want to have anything to do with it doesn’t mean I shouldn’t hope the best for those that do. Hopefully they’ll add an official server for you or something like that one day.

Aw, I like your last paragraph. <3 What kind thoughts for a community you’re not even sure you understand. I’m not really a part of it either, besides having my own headcanons for characters that I talk at length to my boyfriend about, but I’m touched at your sweet thought process.

RPers usually play the character… maybe they’re on a quest for something (real, like recipe ingredients, or imagined like Scarlet’s weave) in a city and go try to engage other RPers in their quest… depends on the story they have in mind for their character. Lots of emoting and talking. Some of them write supplemental fan fiction type things to get a better feel for their character, or to flesh out a scene they have in mind/experienced in-game.

It makes sense to me as a way to give your character more depth because I don’t see much personal story stuff coming back :\ For example, I really want to know more about my human’s dead parents and the events of her birth/being given to foster parents etc. Since they were spies, I don’t think she accepts that they’re dead even though she saw the headstones. You could do a lot of filler writing in plot holes like that. You run the risk of your headcanon being retconned out in future updates, but I’d rather have a richer idea of the person I’m running about as now than worry about the future.

And yeah, I imagine there is also cybering because I haven’t been in an mmo where I haven’t stumbled across that at some point XD Same thing with fanart, though.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Rpers?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Thanks for the detail!

I actually can fully relate to how you feel about the personal story lacking depth. I’ve complained about that on numerous occasions and it’s one of the reasons why I feel jealous of my best friend who plays FFXIV Reborn, for example. I really do miss the semi-sandbox feel with traditional quests but at the same time a lot of aspects with that kind of system are flawed too.

The real problem with GW2’s system is that it’s challenging to feel personally/emotionally attached to any of the characters kind of like one would in a movie they really liked or a really really beautiful storyline on a game like FFX (sorry if anyone disagrees but OMG that was such a beautiful game).

As a result, I feel inclined to almost always skip cutscenes and ignore NPC dialogue. I can’t help it! It’s just as you say; it all lacks depth.

In regards to your last statement… oh god I hope I don’t find it on here rofl. :P

Rpers?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I came here from City of Heroes, and our non-RP servers were like what Tarnished Coast is here. The unofficial RP server (Virtue Server) was just unreal. RP would break out mid-PUG for no reason, and a lot of the time everyone would just run with it. Yes, we had trolls (we also had Trolls, who were green skinned Superadyne addicts, but that’s a different problem), but by and large RP was all over that server. And it was awesome.

GW2, especially compared to a game like that or SWG, is very RP unfriendly. PC outfits are fairly limited, the chat system is awful, the emotes are sparse, and more. Still, there’s those of us that RP here.

Mostly, you just play your character. They have a life. They have wants, needs, hopes, fears. They have flaws, too, because perfect characters are annoying and best ignored. You interact with the people around you, as well as reacting to the world at large. My red sylvari engineer, for example, has stated he’s been shot at by an upset person who had heard that the destruction of LA was the fault of “some scarlet sylvari”. So for now he’s being careful and avoiding the area around LA for his own safety, even though he would like to help.

Anyway… there’s two things I think the Devs of this game need to remember about RPers.

ONE: RPers are nicer players. You can argue about why, but it does tend to be that the RP servers (official or otherwise) tend to have above average communities on them. I think part of the reason is that RPing tends to build your typing speed. In the time the average player can type “LTP stupid noob”, a good typist can type “You can’t hit it from the front, you have to hit it from behind”. I also think that those of us with multiple characters have plenty of practice separating ourselves from our characters, so having something bad happen to one of them (due to game mechanics) isn’t taken quite as personally.

(Note: Yes, there are jerk RPers. No group is perfect.)

TWO: RPers make their own content. Take the fall of LA for example. RPers didn’t just run the events, many of us used it as something to shape our RP. And when we do that, what we do impacts the RP of those around us and gives them something to react to. Giving us good events, or even just good props and settings, gets more mileage than giving it to someone that just plays the content and then they’re done with it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Rpers?

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

WoW farmers and RvR psyco’s, casuals are really not as welcome as ppl claim….let alone RP-ers

Rpers?

Posted by: Mystical Digital.1603

Mystical Digital.1603

Hell, it took a serious kittenstorm to convince them to add walking into the game.

Good to know that I have other players to thank for the walking mechanic. I don’t RP much, but I like to take things slow and just observer the world I’m playing in (which may lead to RP eventually… though I’ve never seen people RPing on Ehmry Bay… then again RPing to me is very much rooted to pen, paper, and dice)

Rpers?

Posted by: Mazdan.2071

Mazdan.2071

LOTRO had or has a lot of RPing in and outside the Prancing Pony. In that game you can even play instruments and DL your own midi tunes for your character to play.

These games (MMOs) are derived from tabletop RPG’s where folks actually Roleplay how their character talks, right down to their weapon choices—which is why many of us are resistant to meta axe/mace, Hambow or GS builds. Our weapons/armor/clothes are personal choices not always DPS based.

Now we have a generation of gamers who don’t have ties with tabletop RPG’s, or RPing in general. This spells the extinction of RPing from not just this MMO, but future MMO’s as well. From here on out it’s Axe MH or GS or GTFO!! How dare you have fun on my speed clear!!!

:sigh::

Rpers?

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

I came here from City of Heroes, and our non-RP servers were like what Tarnished Coast is here. The unofficial RP server (Virtue Server) was just unreal. RP would break out mid-PUG for no reason, and a lot of the time everyone would just run with it. Yes, we had trolls (we also had Trolls, who were green skinned Superadyne addicts, but that’s a different problem), but by and large RP was all over that server. And it was awesome.

GW2, especially compared to a game like that or SWG, is very RP unfriendly. PC outfits are fairly limited, the chat system is awful, the emotes are sparse, and more. Still, there’s those of us that RP here.

Are we playing the same game? The GW2 I know has dozens of armor sets that can be mixed and matched, a highly customizable chat menu and tons of roleplay breaking out in the remotest regions over on TC and PS.

Even then, all you need for RP is a decent community. The rest can be improvised from there.

Rpers?

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

(…)I really do miss the semi-sandbox feel with traditional quests but at the same time a lot of aspects with that kind of system are flawed too.(…)

Flaws like making the game more linear?
On every game I’ve played I’ve always loved to just explore and stop and look.
GW2 is no exception, but frankly it is the only game I’ve played where I felt genuinely rewarded for exploring!
In other games you can MAYBE find a chest or a secret, in GW2 you’d level up just from exploring, and I’ve absolutely LOVED the no traditional quests.
Those honestly tend to be just rail-road-bread-crumbs, in GW2 I went where ever I felt like, doing what ever I felt like, never felt forced or guided much less punished for not following a path that other games just lay infront of people, I had an amazing time the first time I’ve leveled a char.

Now back to topic, like it was mentioned before, you can use /me and post what ever you like,
ex: /me kneels down picking up the rock from the ground infront of him dusting it off with his hand before getting up again.
I never RPed in GW2 but I know if you’re relying on pre-made emotes (gestures), you’re doing it wrong, dare I say I seasoned RPer wouldn’t use pre-made gestures at all?
The limitations I do see in GW2 are lack of town clothes and no interaction with environment, like sitting on a chair, but you can easily forget those.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Rpers?

Lilith Ajit.6173

" I say I seasoned RPer wouldn’t use pre-made gestures at all?"

Of course they are used sometimes. But not for the real RP.

[ARES]

Rpers?

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

they start it with town clothes for RP but I think the ideea is preaty much abbandoned for more then a year. Even that I thing RP-ers will spend alot of gems if they find something they like on TP. Right now they have only cooking outfit and… hats?

They need to just make those costume slots and let us wear them over our regular outfits if we want. I want to look like a cowboy while gunslinging on my engineer!

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Rpers?

Posted by: KeyOrion.9506

KeyOrion.9506

=^o.o^= All hail kittah! Savior of the cosmos! Holder of the universal yarn ball of harmony!

Slayer of poptarts!

Enemy of the great god Lagg!

Kittah luvs you, but thinks that your silly thinking that nobody roleplays around these parts.

When I’m cute, I can be cute. But when I’m mean, I can be very very mean.

Rpers?

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

(Note: Yes, there are jerk RPers. No group is perfect.)

Yes, there are RP j___ and Lore Police. Luckily, they are a small elitist group on the Tarnished Coast server. If you encounter these guys, don’t let them get to you.

I encounter a few during the Escape from LA event. I got verbally fried for saying that my Sylvari Engie was once Ceara’s lapdog / servant and he was dead set in stopping her. Elitists got mad because I created a connection between an NPC and my main. Apparently, that’s a taboo on the Tarnished Coast server.

I don’t listen to them tho. I paid for access to this game, so I’ll RP how I want. If people refuse to RP with me then I will resort to writing fanfiction and share with those who love to read GWstories.

(edited by kta.6502)

Rpers?

Palador.2170

I encounter a few during the Escape from LA event. I got verbally fried for saying that my Sylvari Engie was once Ceara’s lapdog / servant and he was dead set in stopping her. Elitists got mad because I created a connection between an NPC and my main. Apparently, that’s a taboo on the Tarnished Coast server.

That’s because everyone has to share the lore, so it’s best if everyone avoids inserting themselves too deeply into the canon, especially if it’s in a way that drastically alters that lore.

I’m not going to say they reacted as they should, I wasn’t there so I don’t know how they acted. But that’s what it was (likely) about.

For an example, I too have a sylvari that knew Ceara. He awakened around the same time as her, and discussed philosophy with her during her time in the Grove. Despite having some common ground at first, their outlooks on life diverged and eventually Ceara left to pursue her own agenda. He regrets that she went down the path she took, and wonders how close he’s come to the same mistakes.

The difference between the two characters is that mine was never an important part of Ceara’s life, and it meshes with the known lore about her. It’s stated that she studied during her time at the grove, and it’s easy to guess that she may have talked philosophy with people during that time, as she learned all she could from her fellow sylvari. In the end, a minor footnote, not worthy of recording.

You have to use a light touch when adding yourself to lore and backstory, to avoid conflict. Not everyone can be the Hero of Shaemoor, or the Slayer of Issomir, so most RPers simply skip that. It was someone else, not them.

I hope that explains it. But, if they were jerks, that doesn’t excuse that part. Most RPers I know prefer the “smile, nod, and walk away” method of dealing with such things.

Rpers?

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Is there somewhere I can get a better understanding of RPers? Like a forum? I DO NOT GET IT. I don’t want to make fun of anyone, I’d just love to see it in action for GW2.

Rpers?

Posted by: VideoGamermike.5813

VideoGamermike.5813

Roleplaying is in and of itself a kind of storytelling. The idea being you make a character, whatever that may be. you make their connections, there ideas, their personalities, their goals, ECT. And yes, this can include flat out making things up in Mythos, the only taboo(for obvious reason) is not altering what already exists. I.E, you can make up a fake relationship with an NPC no matter how deep, even make it become part of who she is, but dont add in that had this grand regret the mythos may or may not say she has.

But I digress. After making that character, you meet with groups of other players, and create stories together, developing your characters alongside eachother, making new idea,s evolving who they are, and solving person conflicts. The idea is to play as a “person” within the world, and keep…yourself, if you will, out of it. Acting as a character, not as a player.

Rpers?

Palador.2170

Are we playing the same game? The GW2 I know has dozens of armor sets that can be mixed and matched, a highly customizable chat menu and tons of roleplay breaking out in the remotest regions over on TC and PS.

The chat menu isn’t very customizable at all, really. Just different tabs. I’m used to being able to create tabs, extra windows that I can resize and place as I wish, multiple player made chat channels that go cross zone/cross server, the ability to set the colors all chat channels appear as (to spot specific ones easily), and the ability to have player names in chat show up as different colors when they speak so specific people can be found quickly in the chat scroll.

As for costumes? Well, I do have to admit that it’s unfair to compare a super hero game to a sword and sorcery fantasy game like GW2. So, I won’t. But considering that you can’t even mix and match the three different armor types, and that each character is locked out of 2/3 of the outfit parts in the game, that’s… pretty sad.

Rpers?

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I usually go “GET UP, MAGGOT” or “DON’T DIE ON ME, SOLDIER”, depending on how low their health is.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Rpers?

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

TC is the place to be for RP. It has in the past been the friendliest server in the game. It’s undergone some recent changes due to WvW change ups and absorbing almost another WvW server. Seems to have diluted some of the friendliness as of late. Still there is a abundant RP especially in DR. People use the /me emote a lot. RPers use their imagination, so I’m not sure any game could be useless to an RPer.

Rpers?

Lankybird.8149

Sure the basis of RPing is in the story and the world events that come up all the time are nice for “Going out on adventures” and such but in the end having 100s-1000s emotes is nice add to it. As well as (and i am not suggesting this be added just saying) player housing, guild halls to hang out, more town clothes (much much much more, I want and I dont even RP). SWG had an amazing RP group just because the game evolved around communities so much, town meetings voting for city mayor (of play built cities were all the best vendors were.). I think that even though I didn’t even really RP hardly at all I still loved all the features it added to the game. idk just my thoughts.

Rpers?

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

For an example, I too have a sylvari that knew Ceara. He awakened around the same time as her, and discussed philosophy with her during her time in the Grove. Despite having some common ground at first, their outlooks on life diverged and eventually Ceara left to pursue her own agenda. He regrets that she went down the path she took, and wonders how close he’s come to the same mistakes.

The difference between the two characters is that mine was never an important part of Ceara’s life, and it meshes with the known lore about her. It’s stated that she studied during her time at the grove, and it’s easy to guess that she may have talked philosophy with people during that time, as she learned all she could from her fellow sylvari. In the end, a minor footnote, not worthy of recording.

Ah! Another person with a connection to an NPC! I knew my character wasn’t the only one with a connection. When I first mentioned my character’s connection to other RPers, I thought I was going to meet other players who made similliar connections with their PCs. Oh well.

BTW, it’s nice to meet you.

To me, the both of our characters are the same. In my view, a PC that was a servant of someone is a minor footnote. All the connection did was create a compelling motivation for my character — something that the Living Story never provides to players. It gave me and my character a personal reason to go after Scarlet.

Just to clarify, the word “lapdog” just describes what kind of servant he was — someone who was used as an entertaining pet.

The story “What Scarlet Saw” implies that Ceara was dysfunctional long before she became evil, so I never broke the lore at all. After she learned everything she could from a teacher, she threw the relationship away. That tells me alot about her morals and character. Ceara was a user. Most likely, she saw herself as superior to others. Karma (or the Universe or the Gods) eventually came back to bite her when Omadd decided to use her for his infamous experiment. She probably perceived him as a friend until after the experiment. During the Madness update, there was a picture of Omadd with daggers in his eyes.

In my personal RP experience, the Escape update was the first time I’ve met RPers who are sensitive about connections. In all other games (including Warcraft) people don’t care what others do as long as it doesn’t break the lore. And it’s not bad etiquette either. Just so everyone know, I’ve been RPing for about 20 years (I’m 37 years old in RL), so I know my stuff. The lore in this game has so many plot holes and gaps, so it’s tempting for RPers and writers to fill in those gaps. To me, the plot holes bother me so much that my inner author / editor has to appear and write stuff in.

You have to use a light touch when adding yourself to lore and backstory, to avoid conflict. Not everyone can be the Hero of Shaemoor, or the Slayer of Issomir, so most RPers simply skip that. It was someone else, not them.

Noted. I understand what you’re trying to say.

With humans, Norn, Charr, and Asura, this is easy to avoid because the social structure is very individualistic and encourages cliques (like mainstream American culture). Knowing Logan, Eir, Rytlock, or Zoija would be like winning the lotto in those socieites. The most connection any PC would have is being acquainted with who these guys are.

Sylvari, on the other hand, have a more communal culture (similar to RL Japanese culture or small-town American culture) where everyone has some connection to everyone (thanks to the Dream). Some people compare their culture to a beehive. You can observe this in the Grove when some NPCs talk about Caithe. Gossip is also rife in Sylvari culture, so everyone will have some sort of reaction to her. Plus, she is involved in every Sylvari PC’s storyline which makes her a Sapling Nanny. Trahearne is another one who would be well known among Sylvari thanks to his status and fame. Priory sylvari get double brownie points and the best treatment from him. A sylvari PC would also know who the menders are (esp. the menders who attend the character’s awakening— this was demonstrated in the short story “What Scarlet Saw”). A sylvari’s cycle would also get them close to one of the Luminaries who personally take up the role of teaching the saplings during their first few months of existence.

The point I’m trying to make: It’s impossible to avoid the inclusion of NPCs in an RP Sylvari’s background. That’s why the current taboo in the Tarnished Coast Rp community doesn’t make sense to me, a Sylvari RPer.

I’m only posting my experience here, so new Rpers can be aware of the situation on TC server.

(edited by kta.6502)

Rpers?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Likely it was just a taboo in that subset you encountered. Though in truth it’s not just in GW2 RP, it’s in every MMO I’ve ever played that it’s poor etiquette to claim a close connection to any major NPC that everyone encounters. Not everyone can be Queen Jennah’s son or Rytlock’s old trainer … best no one try to stake out such territory, especially as RP involves a consensual reality and making yourself someone everyone would know forces them to accept your reality even if it counters their own tales.

That doesn’t mean there can’t be connections. When my nobleman’s father was missing, I had my guy tangentially guided by Anise, but very much in a private cloak and dagger fashion with her pulling the strings, done only in a short story in which she wasn’t even named, and fitting in with her being a “head of security” sort in DR. And even that I based off the PS in which she tossed him into a party to ferret out info.

Anyway, to answer the bigger question in this thread, RP is a mix of let’s pretend and improv theater and scriptwriting and storytelling. You design a character with history and opinions and skills and weaknesses and set him or her in motion to interact with the characters others have designed. If you know a few keypoints about the persona, you can have him/her speak and act consistently and respond to others as s/he would rather than as you would.

It’s like LARP without the physical effort and with the ability to portray characters that don’t look or sound like you

Rpers?

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I dont understand Rpers at all,no offence really but wasting time in town pretending that you are your character is sooo stupid and weird lol.I dont know it might just be me cause in many games i played before i never saw Rpers untill i come here.It was so strange to see people acting like Npcs…

Rpers?

Lilith Ajit.6173

I dont understand Rpers at all,no offence really but wasting time in town pretending that you are your character is sooo stupid and weird lol.I dont know it might just be me cause in many games i played before i never saw Rpers untill i come here.It was so strange to see people acting like Npcs…

:(

It’s like how people like writing stories or fanfiction. They like being immersed in the world. I’m not sure why that’s stupid.

QQ

[ARES]

Rpers?

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

Who could possibly take offense to you calling them stupid and weird?