Runes and sigil suggestion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Runes and sigils are some of my favorite aspects of build making. I absolutely love seeing what I can do and how I can modify my build with runes and sigils. More so runes than sigils since they have a wider range of what they can do. But at the same time I feel that Both of them are really lacking in what they can and can’t do. Most the time you’ll end up having to run something like Runes of Strength or sigil of force because that’s whats best for your build. And I find those runes to be rather boring. I much prefer runes like Rune of the Pirate that have a bit of flavor to them. Or Runes of Perplexity that can actually change the way you might use some skills or engage in combat. I’d very much like to see more diversity in these so I’m going to make a few suggestions for runes and Sigils that could open up a new way to use them.

Rune suggestion:

• Charge runes: Charge runes are an idea that I had where it would gain a charge much like the on death sigils. But rather then gaining a charge when something dies you could gain a charge when using a specific skill, dodging, blocking or being struck. These runes would have the basic buffs we come to know and love that are common among runes but would have an effect that goes off when its fully charged. So for example maybe once you’ve been struck 10 times while in a fight the charge resets and grants protection to you and adjacent allies for a few seconds.
  • Combo Runes: This idea was one I’ve had for a long time and I still like it. The elementalist has a trait that grants fury when they blast in a fire field. I rather like this idea and feel it would fit right at home with rune sets as well. So it could combo with projectiles, whirls, blasts or leaps to add an effect to fields that might otherwise be under appreciated in the game or under used. One example might be using a blast finisher on a poison field might cause a combustion effect that burns and damages foes.
  • Mastery Runes: These runes would function a bit differently than something like rune of strength but still be fairly simple. Mastery Runes are a type of rune set that care about the specific weapon the user is wielding at the time. So lets say you’re wielding a sword. The Mastery Runes might improve that weapon in some way. Like perhaps you get a 5% damage bonus while wielding a sword and sword skills have a chance to grant some sort of boon. This type of rune could reward players for using specific weapons and really make them feel like “I am a sword master” or “I am a axe master” to really help flesh out their play style.
  • Skill Runes: These runes already exist in the game, but are few and far between. I’d like to see more Skill runes with greater impact on the players build. So for example maybe they reduce the cool down of that type of skill or give minor improvements to its effectiveness. Really play more into the build. So maybe a Rune set that increases the duration of Wells by one second or something along those lines.
  • Summoner Runes: This one is a bit more specific than the other ones. But I feel like it should be mentioned. This category of runes wouldn’t just care about one skill type but rather would impact skills or other effects that might Summon allies to aid you. So Rather than buffing your damage like Runes of the ranger these type of runes might buff the damage of your summons. Which would include minions, Elementals, Spirit weapons, spirits(if we ever get attacking spirits), turrets and whatever else you might summon. The effects could very greatly from set to set, such as increased health or combine with other ideas I had like adding a charge to it when you summon or one of your creatures dies.

Lily.1935

Sigil Suggestion:

• Different types of Charge Sigils: At the moment charge sigils are kinda frustrating to use and can quickly become useless if you go down. They’re not very fun to use. So this suggestion is to have Charge sigils that can be charged in combat without involving deaths. Much like the Rune suggestion above only the difference between these and those would be these would charge based on your proactive gameplay rather then reactive gameplay. So landing a crit could charge it. Or interrupting a foe, knocking them down. Maybe leaping toward a foe adds a charge depending on the sigil. Each of them could have a minor pay off or a big pay off depending on the difficulty of the action that its asking you to do. Their charge number shouldn’t be super high either like the on death sigils. So 5 to 15 charges at most should be enough to make these rather interesting. So maybe you have a sigil that causes an AoE daze. So lets say you need to Interrupt a several skills in order for it to trigger. This could make for interesting game play that players have to think bout how they land their skills.
  • Skill Sigils: These sigils could trigger when using a specific type of weapon skill. I touched on the idea above. Such as triggering on interrupts but also triggering when executing a leap with a weapon or a pull. So perhaps you have a sigil that grants you a lightning aura when you execute a leap. Something along those lines in order to really make you think about how you use your skills.

As always, these are just suggestions. Any ideas here are not complete and are intended to simple give you an idea of how they might work. Please leave a comment and leave your own suggestions on what you might like to see on runes and sigils. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Please no. I do not want this game to be anymore gear dependent than it is already is.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Please no. I do not want this game to be anymore gear dependent than it is already is.

runes and sigils already make or break your build, especially in pvp and wvw where “merely viable” doesnt cut it at even casual levels of play. aint no one stopping you from being “merely viable” in pve though.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

loseridoit.2756

runes and sigils already make or break your build, especially in pvp and wvw where “merely viable” doesnt cut it at even casual levels of play. aint no one stopping you from being “merely viable” in pve though.

That what I hate for the most part. There already a limited supply of everything. Now, we just add more sigils that are highly sought after. OP is just shifting another meta. I have to say that PVP is a non issue since there is an unlimited supply.

For other things, I want other things from pve like better encounters so stats will matter less but playstyle will matter much more. I like interesting enemies from what I seem from Anet, I afraid I will never get it.

insanemaniac.2456

That what I hate for the most part. There already a limited supply of everything. Now, we just add more sigils that are highly sought after. OP is just shifting another meta. I have to say that PVP is a non issue since there is an unlimited supply.

For other things, I want other things from pve like better encounters so stats will matter less but playstyle will matter much more. I like interesting enemies from what I seem from Anet, I afraid I will never get it.

your issue is that maybe someone could control the market and make it expensive?

loseridoit.2756

your issue is that maybe someone could control the market and make it expensive?

I am just ranting. My largest issue is that suddenly there is an item that suddenly is become necessary. It is a gear grind in disguise. Sometimes, I am ok with gear grind if it solves an in game problem. However, my issue is that these items feels like forced when it does little to address the core problems when game play such as lack of variety of pvp modes, mob ai, etc. are much larger road blockers to more viable builds than lack of gear variety.

If anything, this change will be another small meta shift and we just play like usual with minor variations.

tl:dr; why make everyone suffer through transition pain when the proposal does not really make things that interesting but have a wide impact on the game. I prefer if stats matter less and gameplay to matter much more since I would like this game to be more skill based

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

Lily.1935

I am just ranting. My largest issue is that suddenly there is an item that suddenly is become necessary. It is a gear grind in disguise. Sometimes, I am ok with gear grind if it solves an in game problem. However, my issue is that these items feels like forced when it does little to address the core problems when game play such as lack of variety of pvp modes, mob ai, etc. are much larger road blockers to more viable builds than lack of gear variety.

If anything, this change will be another small meta shift and we just play like usual with minor variations.

tl:dr; why make everyone suffer through transition pain when the proposal does not really make things that interesting but have a wide impact on the game. I prefer if stats matter less and gameplay to matter much more since I would like this game to be more skill based

So your issue is exactly how runes and sigils are now?

Adding more play to runes and sigils and provided more options to diversify players isn’t a bad thing. A vast majority of players will run nothing but strength runes in PvE at all times and their price shows. A few runes have a high price tag and a few that do generally do very similar things. The same is true for Sigils.

And another note Runes and Sigils are often easiest part to get for a given set of gear you’re building. Especially if you’re building Ascended armor. So your complaint about the suggestion seems misplaced. Especially considering Arena Net has expressed a desire to make runes and sigils more interesting.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Looking through the list this looks like adding more junk results to the table when trying to forge major runes. They are about as appealing as a grawl slaying sigil for the same reason.

insanemaniac.2456

However, my issue is that these items feels like forced when it does little to address the core problems when game play such as lack of variety of pvp modes, mob ai, etc. are much larger road blockers to more viable builds than lack of gear variety.

/shrug

anet isnt just 1 team

(…but they definitely dont have enough devs)

loseridoit.2756

However, my issue is that these items feels like forced when it does little to address the core problems when game play such as lack of variety of pvp modes, mob ai, etc. are much larger road blockers to more viable builds than lack of gear variety.

/shrug

anet isnt just 1 team

(…but they definitely dont have enough devs)

of course they have many teams but any change has to be adopted by players. Sometimes changes feel pretty minor even though everybody has to get the item.

loseridoit.2756

Adding more play to runes and sigils and provided more options to diversify players isn’t a bad thing. A vast majority of players will run nothing but strength runes in PvE at all times and their price shows. A few runes have a high price tag and a few that do generally do very similar things. The same is true for Sigils.

And another note Runes and Sigils are often easiest part to get for a given set of gear you’re building. Especially if you’re building Ascended armor. So your complaint about the suggestion seems misplaced. Especially considering Arena Net has expressed a desire to make runes and sigils more interesting.

I do have an issue with how rune and sigils are now. There are a few runes and sigils that are highly sought after. I will stay that is a problem with content. Even if you change the meta. All classes will be stuck with one or two build. Nothing really changes in the end.

I do not really care if rune and sigil are the easiest part to get. It just another added annoyance. Why add do people want to increase the time that people are not playing for content for not very conservative amount of change in general

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

Lily.1935

Looking through the list this looks like adding more junk results to the table when trying to forge major runes. They are about as appealing as a grawl slaying sigil for the same reason.

I don’t understand your comparison.

Lily.1935

I do have an issue with how rune and sigils are now. There are a few runes and sigils that are highly sought after. I will stay that is a problem with content. Even if you change the meta. All classes will be stuck with one or two build. Nothing really changes in the end.

I do not really care if rune and sigil are the easiest part to get. It just another added annoyance. Why add do people want to increase the time that people are not playing for content for not very conservative amount of change in general

Currently Armor isn’t very diverse among Professions. Even if each used 2-3 different rune sets and sigils that catered more to them than using all the same runes and sigils that would be an improvement. At the moment runes mostly provide passive buffs with the occasional random chance trigger and trigger on healing, elite or amount of health. With Rune of the Trapper, Rune of Perplexity, Rune of Evasion, Rune of the Trooper and Rune of Resistance being the only ones that really break this mold. Sigils are even worse than that.

There isn’t really much decision making when choosing your runes and sigils. But they are still extremely important to your build and have a major impact. I’d like to see more runes that have a more unique feel to them or a more focused impact than just these universally good runes that everyone must run at all times.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

All the ones you described are situational. People don’t carry multiple different “of __ slaying” weapons around(except maybe undead) and carrying multiple armor sets around will be even less appealing. They would have to offer a lot of power for that tradeoff. Why use a rune set that increases damage with swords when I can use a rune set that increases damage with everything?

Lily.1935

All the ones you described are situational. People don’t carry multiple different “of __ slaying” weapons around(except maybe undead) and carrying multiple armor sets around will be even less appealing. They would have to offer a lot of power for that tradeoff. Why use a rune set that increases damage with swords when I can use a rune set that increases damage with everything?

How are they situational as you put it? How is a rune set that cares about blast finishers in anyway a comparison to Grawl slaying? You can always have access to blast finishers and aoe fields. If you’re running a sword you’ll always have access to the sword. If you are using blocks on your build you’ll always have blocks.

Why run them? because they might provide you with something that other rune sets currently can’t. Giving use to unused things is a good thing. And at the moment you seem to be looking at how encounters currently go with corner might stacking which was never intended in the first place. These suggestions promote the player to use existing tools and rewarding them for doing so. Not rewarding players doing the exact same thing at all times.

The AI is being worked on and encounters are pushing away from the corner stacking abuse that has been going on for far too long. So having runes and sigils that are more dynamic in combat and function better for a longer fight will be better as time progresses. However with the options we have now its mostly just passive which doesn’t reflect the dynamic combat Arena Net are trying to execute.

So No, I don’t understand your comparison. It seems like an extremely poor thought out comparison with no insight into the future.