SAB's future

SAB's future

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

Hi there!~ I was taking some time off gw2 and found out some interesting stuff on the internet.
You see, there’s one game called Phantasy Star Online 2, where you can play on the pc – ps vita, and there’s this app that’s a completely different game that could be linked to the pc-vita account.
Now, with the re-release of SAB, I was wondering… It could take some years to develop (maybe) but with the increasing profit on mobile games, wouldn’t it be interesting to have your gw2 account linked to a mobile app that plays like SAB?
In PSO2, there’s also a reward system depending on how far you have progressed, the use of your main game account sprite, also an independent cash shop.
So I was wondering, do you guys think it would be profitable if A-net took some time to release something like this? Because it takes time and manpower, and sometimes it may or may not pay off.

SAB's future

Raven.1524

Also, that game is in japanese (not korean), so it’s pretty much a noodle war for me to keep reading texts (????(;???)

SAB's future

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I can’t see a mobile app paying for itself. We all expect that stuff to be free.

SAB's future

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I would not play a mobile app. I use my phone exclusively for SMS and phoning and have zero apps installed.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

SAB's future

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

If they don’t have the resources to finish existing projects, some of which were already paid for, then I think we can rule out app developments.

SAB's future

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Yes please lets have another 1-2 years before we get new content in gw2 due to mobile app development /s off

SAB's future

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I have difficulty seeing a mobile app taking off. I’m not sure how it would really even be fun—There’s a reason you don’t see a lot of 3D platformers on mobile.

If Anet were going to write a tie-in app, which doesn’t seem likely given their heavy focus on PC, I think they would do something more in line with the rest of GW2’s theme and styling. SAB has its audience, within the larger GW2 base, but would someone who finds the game on mobile be enticed to play non-SAB on a desktop? I’m not sure it would work as a promotional tool.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

SAB's future

Raven.1524

What about grouping up with an indie developer team? and it’s not likethe game would be actually free. Like most of mobile games, there’s always a stamina bar or something that timegates your gameplay time, plus a cash shop.
I know it sounds kinda shady, but it’s normal to use those tactics on the market and it seems to be working quite well for some games, I guess the profits come down to the audience and how big it actually is.
I said SAB as an example, but it could be something far more simplistic and dumbed down too, as long as it’s somhow connected to the game itself, as in story, or something else.

SAB's future

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

So are we talking about SAB’s future, or the possibility of a GW2 tie-in game in general?

It’s not an unusual strategy nowadays, although how often it pays off is more debatable. GW2 actually had app plans waaaay back before launch, although those have been long-since scuttled. I believe those were more along the lines of a guild chat app, friends list, etc., things that would keep you engaged in the game even when you’re not in the game.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

SAB's future

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

In the original Guild Wars we had three “chapters” or campaigns: Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall. Each could be played as a standalone game, or they could be linked together into one massive game world where characters could travel back and forth between each campaign.

So, here’s a wild thought. Why not have Super Adventure Box use the same model?

Develop it as a standalone game – with its own dedicated development team (i.e. not people borrowed from the core GW2 team), and use the campaign model where it can be linked to the core game so your GW2 characters can travel into the SAB “campaign”.

There would be some development synergies since SAB would be running on the GW2 engine, so they wouldn’t have to develop an entire game from the ground up. And it could take advantage of using the same account management system, patching system, gem store system, tech support, web resources, sales and marketing, etc. This would allow the SAB team to be fairly lean.

Release the game as a full buy-to-play product. Since we already have access to Worlds 1 and 2 they could be the “shareware demo” (going with the retro gaming theme). Then release maybe 6 or so more worlds (or fewer worlds, but with more than 3 zones in each) as the retail product for $15 – $20. If you don’t already own GW2, you can play SAB standalone – your character is restricted to the SAB lobby zone and you cannot use the exit portals to Rata Sum. If you do own GW2, the Super Adventure Box “campaign” is linked to your account and your Tyrian characters can freely enter and leave.

I don’t have access to official player metrics, of course, but from my personal observations it sure seems like SAB is pretty popular, and developing it as a true spin-off product could be viable.

(EDIT: Totally missed that someone already posted a thread with this idea. Great minds think alike, it seems. ).

(edited by Maximus Delion.8719)

SAB's future

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

SAB has no future. Anet said so themselves.

Just more gem store additions to make them money.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

SAB's future

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

They fired dungeon team, they didn’t create world 3 and 4 after 2,5 years. They basically don’t have people to create new content, I’m suprised that they managed to fix current SAB content, probably they hired some cheap team from India to make it work.

SAB's future

Posted by: Kestin.2368

Kestin.2368

(EDIT2: I’m an idiot. I actually did post in the wrong thread. My bad.)

Lore fanatic, achievement hound, map completionist, PvEer, filthy casual.

(edited by Kestin.2368)