SMS needs permanent ignore

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nightshade.5924

Nightshade.5924

Hi. Could you guys at ANet Please add a toggle for “Permanently Ignore” or something similar in regards to the SMS Ad that keeps popping up every couple of days when I launch the game?

I never intend to use SMS, so it’s quite frankly starting to annoy me that I can’t get rid of the prompt. Unless of course ANet is going to give me say 100 gems a month for doing the SMS signup…..

Nah. Not going to happen. So please provide us dinosaurs with the capability to permanently banish the SMS prompt.

Thanks.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You can get the other one, the Win one that doesn’t need a phone number, and the notifications will stop.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Or use a landline. Even dinosaurs have landlines, I believe. ; )

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

Or use a landline. Even dinosaurs have landlines, I believe. ; )

A lot of landlines are VOIP now and won’t work with it. Mine doesn’t so I have to use WinAuth.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ah, well, I meant a regular landline. I use mine for my account. Still, there are some options for those that have no smart phone.

Good luck.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Given that other players refusal to maintain decent account security impacts my play experience (being spammed by stolen accounts is so much fun after all, as are all sorts of fun and awesome in game restrictions on everyone to minimize the damage cause by accounts stolen from idiots) I do not support this.

Perma ignore?
Nay nay, you should be prompted every map load, every bank open, every WP. There should be a little pop up at the top by the story counter that pops up on every skill use, every time you take damage, every heal, and every time you pick up loot. You should get additional trash items with zero value that also remind you you should add decent security to your account.

Some of those F2P restrictions should be expanded to those who refuse security.
No mailing items or gold. period.
Whisper restrictions.
Guild bank restrictions.

Can you tell how tired I am of dealing with the repercussions of other people’s poor security?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

Yes please! I’m never going to download it. put a Remind me NEVER" option. If I don’t want it after 10 times of asking…………stop asking already!

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yes please! I’m never going to download it. put a Remind me NEVER" option. If I don’t want it after 10 times of asking…………stop asking already!

And why should they when the disadvantage to you is so small (having to go pass the reminder) and the disadvantage to ANet is so big (the cost to ANet for every account that gets hacked to restore the account. The cost to the economy from hacked accounts and duplicated money and items with account restore. All the problems and costs to ANet from fraudulent credit card purchases on hacked accounts where the hacker uses a stolen card to buy things then tries to get a refund to get money).

Explain to ANet why your few seconds of inconvenience is worse than their $$$$ worth of inconvenience paying for support for every person that refuses the SMS and then gets hacked. Why should they make it easier when making it easier costs them money.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You can use the -email -password and -nopatchui options to simply skip the launcher.

There actually is a way to disable the message, but it requires a Local.dat file from before SMS was implemented and the password has to be remembered. You have to run the game without allowing it to modify Local.dat, otherwise it’ll update it and enable viewing the message.

(edited by Healix.5819)

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

And why should they when the disadvantage to you is so small (having to go pass the reminder) and the disadvantage to ANet is so big (the cost to ANet for every account that gets hacked to restore the account. The cost to the economy from hacked accounts and duplicated money and items with account restore. All the problems and costs to ANet from fraudulent credit card purchases on hacked accounts where the hacker uses a stolen card to buy things then tries to get a refund to get money).

Explain to ANet why your few seconds of inconvenience is worse than their $$$$ worth of inconvenience paying for support for every person that refuses the SMS and then gets hacked. Why should they make it easier when making it easier costs them money.

You point is null and void because I’m not going to download it no matter what. Making someone decline in perpetuity gives them no net benefit.

People like you make me laugh. Stop worrying about anet’s wallet. They aren’t going broke. customer support is a cost of doing business.

Besides, 99.99% of the time people who get hacked are doing things they shouldn’t be doing anyway.

On you’re point about the credit card. (perhaps the one valid point you made.) A credit card holder is not responsible for fraudulent purchases. They have legal recourse with their credit card company.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

I mean, Anet is trying to implement new and improved security for everyone’s benefit. Even if you just download an app like that Authenticator thing you can make it go away.

Why would you not have the most security for your account? Even if you’ve never been hacked, better safe than sorry yes? shrug all I know is that they’re going to keep putting the message up until you fulfill it. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-new-way-to-protect-your-account/

(edited by I See No Tomorrow.7302)

Just a flesh wound.3589

You point is null and void because I’m not going to download it no matter what. Making someone decline in perpetuity gives them no net benefit.

People like you make me laugh. Stop worrying about anet’s wallet. They aren’t going broke. customer support is a cost of doing business.

Besides, 99.99% of the time people who get hacked are doing things they shouldn’t be doing anyway.

On you’re point about the credit card. (perhaps the one valid point you made.) A credit card holder is not responsible for fraudulent purchases. They have legal recourse with their credit card company.

(Lot of words and none to the point)

In other words you have nothing to say to convince ANet that they should do as you ask other than I WANT!!!

Sorry, not a compelling argument when ANet’s answer to you is $$$$$

Don’t expect to get what you want. $$$$ trump I WANT each and every time.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Hi. Could you guys at ANet Please add a toggle for “Permanently Ignore” or something similar in regards to the SMS Ad that keeps popping up every couple of days when I launch the game?

I never intend to use SMS, so it’s quite frankly starting to annoy me that I can’t get rid of the prompt. Unless of course ANet is going to give me say 100 gems a month for doing the SMS signup…..

Nah. Not going to happen. So please provide us dinosaurs with the capability to permanently banish the SMS prompt.

Thanks.

They don’t want anyone to have that option. The number of “dinosaurs” who understand how to protect their account security is dwarfed by the number that don’t. Providing an easier opt-out would defeat the entire purpose of the current system.

It’s not that they aren’t sympathetic to you per se, it’s that you aren’t the only one who would choose the option and most of the others wouldn’t be aware of the trade-off they are making.

In the end, poor account security affects the entire community and so the game is better off with a one-size-fits-all policy, even though, as we all know, one size usually fits no one.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s annoying, but given how poor computer security is for the average user, it’s just a necessary evil.

Compromised accounts just don’t affect the user; malicious users often use these accounts to do even more bad things. This is the same with security leaks in general— entire botnets are used by hackers because people won’t or can’t secure their computers. Please don’t scoff at the importance of computer security— everyone seems to think they’re immune to infection when they’re not. Of course, you can ignore this, but the next time your favorite site gets DDos’d, please consider it again.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You have the option to choose a method to not get a notification. That option is not taken by you. Hmmm.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

There already is a perma-ignore option. Just keep doing what you’re doing now and pretty soon your account will be compromised and you’ll never see the reminder again (because you won’t be able to log in since a hacker will have control of your account and it will get banned).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I have avoided completing this as I play outside my country several times a year and my phone simply doesn’t work there.

I am not sure how the WinAuth option works as there is little info on multi-use pc’s. In other words when I am abroad I play on a pc that another gw2 player uses. So I do not want to lock their pc to my WinAuth.

I am content with my current security as is and would also like to have the option to disable the sms solicitation.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It’s annoying, but given how poor computer security is for the average user, it’s just a necessary evil.

For the more advanced users however, using these options will actually lower your security. To compromise your account for example (assuming I already have your login info), I only need a single code and I can login whenever I want. Simply put, people are still vulnerable to simple phishing.

Email authentication is actually far more secure due to offering much higher levels of security (for those with advanced emails). All of the available options will however fail due to a vulnerable IP range, assuming you’ve chosen to remember it.

I am not sure how the WinAuth option works as there is little info on multi-use pc’s.

Authenticators work by combining a secret key (a 16 character string) with the current time. When you setup your authenticator for the first time, you will be shown your secret key, but never again after that. As long as you keep a copy of that secret key, you can clone your authenticator as many times as you want, anywhere you want.