[SUGGESTION] Multilanguage chat.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The client is not considering that humans may learn and use more than one language.

Now a player has to choose between talking to people in each language they understand. They have to pick one even though they may be fluent on several.

That is not desirable.

There has to be a way to see and write to several languages.

For example:

• Instead adding a single “text language” filter in the common chat options, add a a checkbox for each supported language.
  • Then on each chat tab, a dropdown list to pick the supported language you are writing in there with a default “Use Text language settings” option.
  • Tabs with a language set will write to that language in /say and /map (and /team in the Edge of the msits), and have a little flag icon representing that language somewhere visible near the input textbox, so you are aware you are writing to that language. The flag could also appear in the tab’s title.
  • While in language-fixed maps (e.g.: Being in Baruch Bay [SP]’s side in WvW), these options would be grayed, and the language input icon will always show that language.

Another example:

• First, there would be a small panel from the chat options gear icon that will allow players to select checkboxes for the languages they can understand. The list will have all supported languages and “other”, but it could have more, as this design allows for any language. When they activate the language filter, they will only see in chat lines marked as those languages.
  • Second, players would be able to see the selected languages of another player by selecting that player. The list will appear as little flags under their title line. This is so players can know if a particular someone nearby will understand them before using /say or /whisper to talk to them. These flags could also appear somewhere in the mail panel when writing a mail to someone.
  • Then, while in a megaserver instance, players that have picked more than one language will get a flag icon when the /say and /map channels are selected, next to the input box. Players can click that button to pick between all the languages they selected in chat options with a small dropdown list. When they write to /say and /map channels, their lines will be marked as that selected language.

This way players will know if someone can understand them, and talk to whoever will understand them, without having to be limited to one language if they can speak more than one.

It may not be the cleanest solution, but at least that way people can set multiple map chat panels, read in supported languages they can understand, and write to them too.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Xenolith.6154

Xenolith.6154

Just incorporate the language of a server into the megaserver algorithm and let megaservers be one language, for the love of kitten. How is this so hard, Arenanet made them deliberately separate and now suddenly we get this clusterkitten.

Edit: I don’t mind playing with people from the language-specific servers, it’s all been fun and friendly in map chat so far, but how can the people who specifically designed their game to separate them not have foreseen this?

I have no interest in dealing with 3-4 different languages in map chat in a casual MMO and I’m not gonna bother dealing with one like it’s IRC in 1995 with ignore lists either, which is basically what this “fix” is.

(edited by Xenolith.6154)

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

So people complain that they are getting people from different languages on their server, ArenaNet fixes this issue by adding a filter.

Now people complain they can’t speak to people of another language.

>.<

Before servers were just one language anyway, how is this a problem now?

Xenolith.6154

Because the implementation is kitten, try to think a little. Think of all the edge cases where this doesn’t work properly.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Because the implementation is kitten, try to think a little. Think of all the edge cases where this doesn’t work properly.

Servers where just one language to begin with, and it was taboo to speak another.

I fail to see how this is a problem still.

Xenolith.6154

Servers where just one language to begin with, and it was taboo to speak another.

Because Arenanet suddenly made it one? What’s your point?
Arenanet didn’t fix kitten by adding a filter.

MithranArkanere.8957

Because people can speak more than one language.

Players were never bound to servers in guild wars, they get to servers dynamically as instances are created when players enter maps, and those instances were grouped by world, still regardless of physical server.

Now that megaserver is in, there will be instances with people speaking several languages.

And some of those people can speak more than one of those languages.

With their rushed filter, they are cutting out people. You can disable the filter and read everyone, but when you write, those filtering your game’s set language will not read you, so to write there, you have to manually change your game’s language all the time.

There MUST be a way to unfilter all languages you can understand and write to all languages you can speak. Not just one. The way I suggested may not be perfect, but would do the trick, and would be expandable to any languages they may want to add to the list, by putting the checkboxes in a separate panel, choosing like the Google language option checkboxes..

The current method must be replaced ASAP, as it is making the game frustrating for polyglots, forcing them to choose between all languages. That is unreasonable.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m not sure if there’s any need, since the recent added option is not a “Language Detecter” as such, it is based on what people have as their “Language Text” in options.

For instance, my option is set to English, so I see only other player’s text in /map who also have “Language Text” option set to English. I can still type something in French or German and the same players will still see it. And vice versa for players who have Spanish, German & French set as their main text in options. They can still type in English in the map chat if they wanted to.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

MithranArkanere.8957

I’m not sure if there’s any need, since the recent added option is not a “Language Detecter” as such, it is based on what people have as their “Language Text” in options.

For instance, my option is set to English, so I see only other player’s text in /map who also have “Language Text” option set to English. I can still type something in French or German and the same players will still see it. And vice versa for players who have Spanish, German & French set as their main text in options. They can still type in English in the map chat if they wanted to.

You do not seem to understand the problem. Precisely because it’s not a “language detecter” there is a problem.

It’s not about what you can write. But about what you have to do all the time for people to see what you write.

People who have the filter active won’t read you unless they’ve set the same text language as you had when you sent the chat line. So regardless of what language you pick, you will have to keep manually changing text language in options every time you want to write to a different language, as there’s no way to make a quick change in the chat, like multiple chat commands (/mapen /mapes /mapfr /mapde), or a way to set a tab to send its lines marked as that language.

If your game is set to English and you want to say something so those filtering out anything but Spanish read it, you have to manually change the game’s text language. And you have to do that every time you want to speak to a different language.

And that must change. Because people can speak more than one language.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

Yeah, people dont seem to get the problem at all.

I, for one, use the english client language but play on a german home world. now, all this filter is doing is making me unable to actually communicate with people from my world because most of them are likely to use the german client language instead.

I suggested a similar solution as yours in my own post, or that they actually seperate the megaservers by the supported languages instead of mashing them together, which is actually what i thought it would do anyways from the blog posts.

I find the current solution is rushed and not very well thought through because it only limits us further than we already are.

MithranArkanere.8957

Separating the players by language would not work very well, as some languages may have much less players in a map.

There just has to be a way to pick all languages you can read, and write yo all languages you can understand. That’s all that’s needed. Then if there’s other players that can’t understand you, at least they’ll be there helping you take down that champion.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: Shukriyya.7629

Shukriyya.7629

Separating the players by language would not work very well, as some languages may have much less players in a map.

There are enough German and French servers, they should be able to populate a map nicely. As for the Spanish server, I think they should be given the choice to pick one of the already existing maps or to go to their own, possibly not well-populated map.

As it is now, the maps are filled with people who can’t even read what you type in chat, thanks to the auto-enabled chat language option. It’s ridiculous. How are you supposed to play with people when things are like that?

And the cities shouldn’t be megaservers at all, for the sake of the server communities and wvw.

RoF

Posted by: UncleOris.1892

UncleOris.1892

This is hilarious to me. And that some people are actually defending it makes it even more funny.

“Why do you still complain, gawd, you’re so needy.”

We are being thrown onto the same servers so the servers are fuller again. That’s flawed to begin with, but okay.

Next we’re being thrown onto the same servers with people that don’t understand each other. Okay, getting a bit more ridiculous, how about we look into this first…

Solution: Put in a language filter. Are you kidding me? So the solution to being thrown in with people I can’t understand is to make it so they won’t hear me and I won’t hear them unless we all disable the language filter.

So what was the point in the first place? Now there are a bunch of d00ds running about that I can’t even talk to. They are just there, not contributing to anything that could ever amount to something worthy of being called a “community” because they are not even able to SPEAK with each other.

Do you still not see the problem? Do you still not understand how this is so unbelievably bad that it’s only worthy of laughter at this point in time?

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

This is hilarious to me. And that some people are actually defending it makes it even more funny.

“Why do you still complain, gawd, you’re so needy.”

We are being thrown onto the same servers so the servers are fuller again. That’s flawed to begin with, but okay.

Next we’re being thrown onto the same servers with people that don’t understand each other. Okay, getting a bit more ridiculous, how about we look into this first…

Solution: Put in a language filter. Are you kidding me? So the solution to being thrown in with people I can’t understand is to make it so they won’t hear me and I won’t hear them unless we all disable the language filter.

So what was the point in the first place? Now there are a bunch of d00ds running about that I can’t even talk to. They are just there, not contributing to anything that could ever amount to something worthy of being called a “community” because they are not even able to SPEAK with each other.

Do you still not see the problem? Do you still not understand how this is so unbelievably bad that it’s only worthy of laughter at this point in time?

i fully agree with you. all they are doing is covering up the mess they have brought upon and now completely ignore the issue even though it obviously hasnt been solved.

MithranArkanere.8957

Added another possible variation of the example:

• First, there would be a small panel from the chat options gear icon that will allow players to select checkboxes for the languages they can understand. The list will have all supported languages and “other”, but it could have more, as this design allows for any language. When they activate the language filter, they will only see in chat lines marked as those languages.
  • Second, players would be able to see the selected languages of another player by selecting that player. The list will appear as little flags under their title line. This is so players can know if a particular someone nearby will understand them before using /say or /whisper to talk to them. These flags could also appear somewhere in the mail panel when writing a mail to someone.
  • Then, while in a megaserver instance, players that have picked more than one language will get a flag icon when the /say and /map channels are selected, next to the input box. Players can click that button to pick between all the languages they selected in chat options with a small dropdown list. When they write to /say and /map channels, their lines will be marked as that selected language.

This way players will know if someone can understand them, and talk to whoever will understand them, without having to be limited to one language if they can speak more than one.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

this is ridiculous- all the language filter now does on an Eu server is make it so that people can’t even see each other talking.

This makes events so fun- not

Guess what- many, many players are also completely unaware that it even exists- so they are blissfully running around and do not respond because they cannot see you speak.

This is bordering on silent comedy

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

This is funny – in GW1 there people ALWAYS people using different languages and I was in a European- based guild at the time (I am a NA player also). There is no problem just people not being understanding and going with the flow – it is ‘the all about me’ attitude that drives this type of attitude.

MithranArkanere.8957

This is funny – in GW1 there people ALWAYS people using different languages and I was in a European- based guild at the time (I am a NA player also). There is no problem just people not being understanding and going with the flow – it is ‘the all about me’ attitude that drives this type of attitude.

I wonder if people bothers to read the first post…

This thread is about how the current language filter prevents people that may understand each other from reading each other as it only allows for a single language, and possible ways to solve that.

The current filter does not account for polyglots. Polyglots are real, not some sort of Pokémon, and the filter must be changed so people can select multiple languages for both reading and writing, so anyone who can understand what you say can read you, and you can read anyone you can understand.

As it’s impossible to force everyone to use English like in GW1’s NA districts, the filter must be made multi-language.

Please stick to the topic.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!