Sad loss of Heroes & Henchmen

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sandy.6329

Sandy.6329

Q:

Just would like to say ANET can never solve everyones’ problems. It’s a good game, enjoy what it offers, enjoy what you get. Unfortunately, for me, I don’t have a lot of time to hunt up 4 Players for a Dungeon or invest in Guild Events. So, good by for now GW2, I’ll just be satisfied that GW is still active with henchmen & heroes. I’ll be back, but probably not very often. Hope henchmen comre to GW2 someday, but, either way, GW2 is a good game

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

i hear ya; these days it’s nigh impossible to find a group of people who haven’t done each dungeon before or want to do dungeons with other naive, adventure-seeking players. wish i could grab Dinky and duo the place at our own pace

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

You know there’s an LFG tool ingame to find groups to do dungeons, right? It takes just two clicks to find and join a group.

Sandy.6329

True, but practically all require 80’s or experienced… & winning is all they seem to care about. I prefer the fun of the attempt… the journey more so than the destination.. GW2 is a great game, but its GW’s freeedom I prefer. They are both great games & both have their good points.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

In that case you can make your own LFG. “AC3, watching cine, no skipping, all welcome.” You’ll get people who are there to experience, not to rush.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I wish I could just take my own made characters and recruit them as “Heroes” to form up with them 5 Man groups with that I could play personal story/living story instances or do with them dungeons/fractals solo..

This would open up also finally more options for RPers to play and roleplay as a “Family” for example, travelign together with family members in case you gave multiple characters the same family name

it would also open up a new form of PVP mode, “Heroes Ascension” to return for GW2 under a new gameplay, where you PvP against an other player and and both can use theor own Hero Sets of allied NPCs that each player can command around.
Would be a kind of different 1v1 pvp with commandable NPC eelements that are each ones 4 hero characters of your “Companion Builds” that you can set up before the battle starts, making that kind of PvP feel a bit like League of Legends, just only with selfmade heroes ^^

So much potential

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

There is NOTHING sad about the loss of heroes and henchmen.

Given how ridiculously easy it is to get a casual group for any dungeon/fractal in the LFG tool (and I main a ranger), I can only think back to GW1 and how the introduction of heroes was the end of me being able to find a group. Everyone just ran with heroes. That was the end of GW1 being an MMO.

In short, stop being anti-social, make a group, and play with people. Don’t try and make this a single player game.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

Can someone please answer the OP’s question?

Posted by: clarkcd.6532

clarkcd.6532

The OP didn’t ask any questions…

Posted by: Bahamut.2417

Bahamut.2417

i hear ya; these days it’s nigh impossible to find a group of people who haven’t done each dungeon before or want to do dungeons with other naive, adventure-seeking players. wish i could grab Dinky and duo the place at our own pace

Talk to Seth Moonshadow, they enjoy Dungeon Clears vs Dungeon runs! They take their time in dungeons and enjoy playing with others who do not “run” the dungeon. They more often than not attempt to defeat every foe in almost all the dungeons. They do not require level 80’s or expect knowing the dungeons. They try to do a dungeon a month ( a story and path each week from same dungeon).

Sandy.6329

Guess I wasn’t clear enough. Sorry. I agree, H&H would be bad for GW2, and it would go against ANET’s philosophy. It’s be nice if the Dungeons could be scaled to 1, 2…, 6+ players, but it may require too much of a time investment for ANET. As I said, GW 2 is a great game. So is GW. I did put up a LFG, & couldn’t get 5 players after waiting 30 minutes. This is not a complaint. I’m just showing the difficulty for an inexperienced player to complete dungeons.

Sandy.6329

Thanks for the contac!. If I find enough time i’ll look Seth up.

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

Given how ridiculously easy it is to get a casual group for any dungeon/fractal in the LFG tool (and I main a ranger), I can only think back to GW1 and how the introduction of heroes was the end of me being able to find a group. Everyone just ran with heroes. That was the end of GW1 being an MMO.

In short, stop being anti-social, make a group, and play with people. Don’t try and make this a single player game.

Guild Wars is a CORPG, or Competitive/Cooperative Online Role Playing Game, not MMO, even with all the people. And yes, I also wish there was more options for this game in terms of dungeons atleast like the Arah Story, it scaling from maybe 2-5, so you can go if you only find 1 other person or 5.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

True, but practically all require 80’s or experienced… & winning is all they seem to care about. I prefer the fun of the attempt… the journey more so than the destination.. GW2 is a great game, but its GW’s freeedom I prefer. They are both great games & both have their good points.

The people who wanted “the fun of the attempt” have had their fun and moved on from that. This kind of play you find at launch. It’s been nearly 3 years – people do most content in the game now just to farm it – even PvP.
The journey has been done and redone so many times people are tired of it. It’s about the rewards now.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

How can we be alone together, if we aren’t “together”?

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Two things, in what way is this a question, and how long does it really take to throw together an acceptable group for a dungeon in LFG? I only pug and I’ve never had an issue making it happen.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

You know there’s an LFG tool ingame to find groups to do dungeons, right? It takes just two clicks to find and join a group.

Ya but Henchmen don’t cry about what class your playing.

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

I’d like it if Henchmen or Heroes were in GW2. And if people don’t like them, don’t use them.

But don’t be diluted to thinking that LFG works as intended. Make a group solely for seeing the story and you could be waiting up to an hour in a half easy to get a group. Anyone else using that tool is looking to Zerg through the missions and in some extreme situations, they will even boot/kick you for not using an optimal spec.

I don’t see that mindset changing. Again, these are the same dungeons some people have been playing for 3 years now. It’s only understandable – albeit regrettable – if they don’t have time for new players to these dungeons.

With that said, I think the Hero system from GW1 makes sense. It was smart to leave it out on release, but now it makes sense.

starlinvf.1358

I’d like it if Henchmen or Heroes were in GW2. And if people don’t like them, don’t use them.

They said the same thing about Heros in GW1….. And as expected, as soon as the 3 hero cap was lifted, people simply stopped partying with each other for all but the most specific farming activities.

People who don’t like bike riding don’t have to use them….. but the ones who do muck up the commonly shared systems, and visa-versa. In other words, we have no option to ignore it, even if we have no intention of actively using that option. This is why we call it collateral damage.

But whats even more sinful about this “don’t use it attitude” is that it never works both ways. Ascended gear drove the prices of non-T6 mats through the roof….. but if you don’t like it, don’t use it. HOT required a new Trait system…. but if you don’t like it, don’t use it. The game is balanced around PvP, but breaks PvE in the process…. but if you don’t like it, don’t use it. The game favors burst DPS over sustained defense… but if you don’t like that, don’t use it.

But thats not the dumbest thing about this whole discussion. We can’t even trust companion AI to behave in a consistently useful manner…. so why would you would to rely on them even further? They’d have to be so incredibly statistically unbalanced to make up for it, that people would be carrying pocket legendary mobs that would scale even more out of control in groups then they would individually.

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

There is NOTHING sad about the loss of heroes and henchmen….

I wish I could just take my own made characters and recruit them as “Heroes” to form up with them

In Guild Wars, I made characters that were related and added them as as Mercenary Heroes so they could travel the world together. This was good for the way I liked my story. It wasn’t a replacement for players until my guild started to play more WoW.
The AI was never meant to take the place of people, but for fun and in a pinch.
We already have the all sorts of AI controlled characters that we have to deal with in the Personal Story, Living World, as well as Clones, Minions and Pets that have simple minds of their own.
The concept of Mercenary Heroes and Henchmen is something we don’t need, but I can’t deny that I had fun with seeing all my play styles in one party through the lens of the games mechanics.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

pet AI in this game is useless. you don’t want heroes/henchmen. trust me.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

The hero/henchmen AI wasn’t too good in GW1 as I remember it. If I took a melee char they’d do silly things and get themselves killed in no time. Caster hero’s were better as I could flag them away from the front line. I found the best option was to have two players with three hero’s each. That way it was possible to flag your hero’s individually.

Oh and the most annoying part for me? In a battle I’d be fighting hard and losing hp, did my healer heal me? No, my necro would cast Death Nova on me instead! Kitten!

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The hero/henchmen AI wasn’t too good in GW1 as I remember it. If I took a melee char they’d do silly things and get themselves killed in no time. Caster hero’s were better as I could flag them away from the front line. I found the best option was to have two players with three hero’s each. That way it was possible to flag your hero’s individually.

Oh and the most annoying part for me? In a battle I’d be fighting hard and losing hp, did my healer heal me? No, my necro would cast Death Nova on me instead! Kitten!

Yes, the AI was stupid, but it was predictably stupid. The heroes were much better than the hench, at least from my experience.

I didn’t really use the melee heroes, there was no need. Even as a caster, I typically did any “tanking” (not that tanks were needed for 98% of the content) and my monkies kept everyone up.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

pet AI in this game is useless. you don’t want heroes/henchmen. trust me.

Sadly this. As much as I enjoy H/H in GW1, there’s nothing in GW2 that’s shown me that it’d work out pleasantly which is a real shame.

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Btw its not a loss

cause Guld Wars =/= <Guild Wars 2

They only share the lore thats all

Posted by: Greymelken.1892

Greymelken.1892

you really think they can make the ai go to the agro dump spots, los stack, and all the other exploits that make a dungeon run less time consuming then a classic mmo raid?

Good idea if you want 6 hour long dungeon crawls.

But there is no way it will ever happen

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I am glad they didnt add heroes in this game. After the addition of heroes in GW1 people just stopped playing together. It wouldn’t be suitable to have them in a MMO. The game is supposed to incite or even mandate cooperation with others.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Orpheal.8263

people didn’t stop playing together cause of Heroes, people stop playign together, cause heroes oftenly become after certain builds were possible more effective, than players, or same as effective, like players cough Sabway, while being alot quiter, plus giving the playxer the advantage to set up for themself their gaming pace, which is an incredible advantage over playing with other players, where you permanently have to wait on someone, cause break, cause toile, cause, telefone, cause whatever else for an annoying crap that leaded to the group having to make a pause

if you want to play with other people, go into a god darn GUILD, but don’t enforece other people to play with others, only because you want to play with people together.
Everyone should have the free choice, how to play the game, be it either with people in from of a guild grup, or random people (Pugs), or if you do it solo or with NPC groups of your self made heroes.

the game is absolutely not supposed to force people to play together with other people. the game is only supposed to one single thing – make fun, and how it does make fun for you, is absolutely up to everyone self.

If one person has no fun with it to have to run a dungeon path at the moment with other people, cause of having to wait for people until a group is complete and ready to go, that person should be completely free to do that game content also with heroes.
in the end are heroes a completely optional feature.

If you don’t like them, don’t use them, simple solution, simple to grasp, one should think.

Todays technology shoud make it also possible to give GW2 heroes with a much better working A.I as also gameplay mechanics to give you as leader more and better control over your heroes, like for example giving to you the feature to switch at any time between your character and your heroes to play as them, cause they are anyways characters of your account with your made builds, so theres no problem about you switching out on the fly the character that you play to take over the control from the A.I manually, if needed. to maneuver the character for example out of an AoE quickly.

People already stopped alot more to play together, when Anet introduced the LFG tool , cause alot of peopel abuse it since then for a selling platform rather for stupid dungeon selling – that is seriously somethign, that destroyed a big aspect of incitement and cooperation between players to play with others, instead the amount of people who solo dungeons skyrocketed quickly into heights just to make some quick gold, much more efficient, than playing together as a group normally the dungeon…

Thats seriously something, that needs to get fixed first…playing group content as a group together, should be always much much more rewarding, than doing dungeons solo and selling them to lazy people who just want the most laziest way to get the dungeon master title and waste as less as possible tiem on the dungeon token grind to unlock equipment skins and the dungeoneer title/achievement rewards in form of some ascendent unique accessoires

The LFG tool and dungeons being so poor designed, that they don’t reward groups that play together significantly bette,r than solo players seriously has already destroyed much more for this game, than adding heroes to this game will ever do.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

But don’t be diluted to thinking that LFG works as intended. Make a group solely for seeing the story and you could be waiting up to an hour in a half easy to get a group. Anyone else using that tool is looking to Zerg through the missions and in some extreme situations, they will even boot/kick you for not using an optimal spec.

I don’t see that mindset changing. Again, these are the same dungeons some people have been playing for 3 years now. It’s only understandable – albeit regrettable – if they don’t have time for new players to these dungeons.

The simplest thing would be an option to rewatch all cutscenes after you have completed story mode.

With that said, I think the Hero system from GW1 makes sense. It was smart to leave it out on release, but now it makes sense.

Considering how useless nearly every single NPCs is in the game this is doubtful.

starlinvf.1358

people didn’t stop playing together cause of Heroes, people stop playign together, cause heroes oftenly become after certain builds were possible more effective, than players, or same as effective, like players cough Sabway, while being alot quiter, plus giving the playxer the advantage to set up for themself their gaming pace, which is an incredible advantage over playing with other players, where you permanently have to wait on someone, cause break, cause toile, cause, telefone, cause whatever else for an annoying crap that leaded to the group having to make a pause

if you want to play with other people, go into a god darn GUILD, but don’t enforece other people to play with others, only because you want to play with people together.
Everyone should have the free choice, how to play the game, be it either with people in from of a guild grup, or random people (Pugs), or if you do it solo or with NPC groups of your self made heroes.

the game is absolutely not supposed to force people to play together with other people. the game is only supposed to one single thing – make fun, and how it does make fun for you, is absolutely up to everyone self.

If one person has no fun with it to have to run a dungeon path at the moment with other people, cause of having to wait for people until a group is complete and ready to go, that person should be completely free to do that game content also with heroes.
in the end are heroes a completely optional feature.

If you don’t like them, don’t use them, simple solution, simple to grasp, one should think.

Todays technology shoud make it also possible to give GW2 heroes with a much better working A.I as also gameplay mechanics to give you as leader more and better control over your heroes, like for example giving to you the feature to switch at any time between your character and your heroes to play as them, cause they are anyways characters of your account with your made builds, so theres no problem about you switching out on the fly the character that you play to take over the control from the A.I manually, if needed. to maneuver the character for example out of an AoE quickly.

People already stopped alot more to play together, when Anet introduced the LFG tool , cause alot of peopel abuse it since then for a selling platform rather for stupid dungeon selling – that is seriously somethign, that destroyed a big aspect of incitement and cooperation between players to play with others, instead the amount of people who solo dungeons skyrocketed quickly into heights just to make some quick gold, much more efficient, than playing together as a group normally the dungeon…

Thats seriously something, that needs to get fixed first…playing group content as a group together, should be always much much more rewarding, than doing dungeons solo and selling them to lazy people who just want the most laziest way to get the dungeon master title and waste as less as possible tiem on the dungeon token grind to unlock equipment skins and the dungeoneer title/achievement rewards in form of some ascendent unique accessoires

The LFG tool and dungeons being so poor designed, that they don’t reward groups that play together significantly bette,r than solo players seriously has already destroyed much more for this game, than adding heroes to this game will ever do.

What trauma lead to such an anti-social stance for team play in an “MMO” of all things?

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Yes, the AI was stupid, but it was predictably stupid. The heroes were much better than the hench, at least from my experience.

I didn’t really use the melee heroes, there was no need. Even as a caster, I typically did any “tanking” (not that tanks were needed for 98% of the content) and my monkies kept everyone up.

Agreed, hero’s weren’t that bad at all but that’s not mentioning I had to manually micro manage most of their skills and targets (party and foe) as if I was a Starcraft player with 200+ APM lol. Did every single thing in GW1 on hard mode except DoA and UW with heros.

But sadly as someone else already mentioned the foundation for “pet” AI in this game is beyond borked in most cases and is unlikely to change so drastically as to support that kind of control.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Trying to micromanage ground target aoe and dodges … good luck with that.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

I wish I could just take my own made characters and recruit them as “Heroes” to form up with them 5 Man groups with that I could play personal story/living story instances or do with them dungeons/fractals solo..

This would open up also finally more options for RPers to play and roleplay as a “Family” for example, travelign together with family members in case you gave multiple characters the same family name

So much potential

As easy as it is to find people to party up with via the LFG menu, this is still a cool idea. I’m also an RPer with characters that I’d like to travel together but can’t due to having them on a single account.

I wouldn’t really use this feature for dungeons or fractals, but I’d definitely use it for personal story. +1 from me.

Monk Tank.5897

I always thought the players we added to the HoM were going to be Heroes in GW2.
I also thought the HoM was going to be more rewarding than it is. What we need is a Mercenary system from GW1 where you can use your other level 80 characters as Heroes.
This would add Gem sales, character slots and Mercenary slots. You could add Mercenary has to be level 80, in full Ascended Armor and completed Living Story to unlock. Start with say one Hero for everyone that had gw2 and two Heroes for purchasing HoT so that two humans could actually make a 5 man party.

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

Or we can have AI for that.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

To be honest the addition of heroes to GW1 was something I disliked in that game. I am rather glad that they are not present here.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

This x 9001

I played GW1 before they added heroes. There were henchman but they were really terrible at the time. To complete harder missions you needed players. Sadly there was a lot of waiting to find a monk, but it was at least social.

Once they added heroes, the game became 100% single player. Every guild I joined, every map chat I spoke in, everyone told me “just hero it”. No one wanted to bother playing together. Especially once the SABway/Discordway necro comp became popular. GW1 is literally a single player game with a chat system because of heroes/henchmen.

Or we can have AI for that.

Like the wonderful AI we already have? Lol.

Orpheal.8263

Thats for why you go into a GUILD.. to play with other people, or search for pugs, random people with the same mind set like you and general peope, that like to play with random people togeher.

But it should be nothing, that the game should enforce upon everybody by design, cause this cuts down the freedom of choice how you want to play the game.
Everyone should be free to decide, how to play the game, and if I decide to want to play the game without real people, I shouldnÄt be punished for this decision and thats exactly the point, when you hit then on game content, that forces you to play with other people together, because its simply not doable solo, not even – and thats the point we are speaking of here, solo with the help of A.I controlled/semi self controlled NPCs of Character, which we have self created, self played to get them their builds and equipment ect.

Anet is improving the A.I of the game, you can realize this alreasdy as a prepurchaser/Beta Tester, when fightign agaisnt enemies in the new map, that enemies become tougher.
With semi contro,, and the option to exchange always out your currently played character with one of the heroes to take over the control of them manually, somethign like ground targets and dodges is not a problem, if you think, the A.I won#t handle the situation good enough, you switch with your character the control to your chosen hero and dodge manually self, or move the character out of the AoE, to give then the control back to the A.I, when the character is safe …

The technical options are today alot better, than they were with GW1 …then theres also the option to improve the A.I for heroes in geenral with a FF12 like gambit system, that makes it possible for you to program for your heroes self to tell them exactly, what they should do in certain situations…like move to player character, when standing in an AoE, so that they automaticalyl follow your position, when they stand in an AoE field for a simple example.
With these simple A.I commands programmed into a system, that tells the A.I what to do sittuationally based, can you play around with greatly to make A.I act and react much better to your likings to the point, that the A.I can control your NPCs eventually so good, that you don’t need to do anything at all manually

people ho want to play with others, have their guilds to do that and if thats not enough, then theres stil lthe LFG-Tool to fill up the gaps of players with pugs, if you have for once not enough guild players to do something ..

However, a guild, that isn’t active enough to get 5 players together for a dungeon run, is imo an extreme bad guild!! (with the exception of tiny fun guilds, that just have only 5 members or less ..)

That anet seems to share the opinion, that playing solo shouldnt be punished, just shows, that they finally redesigned after years the zhaitan Dungeon and made it possible to do it finally also Solo without forcing you to do it with other people….

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Honestly, heroes were convenient in GW1, and they completely ruined the social aspect of the game. I went from playing with my guild mates everyday, and teaming up with random PUGs to ignoring everyone and running with a group of perfectly designed robots, because every other player was running around with a team of perfectly designed robots, and you had no other option. I even get why it happened, compared to random players Heroes were reliable. Heroes didn’t use crap builds just because they thought they were fun. Heroes didn’t generally over pull and wipe parties. Heroes could be told to go somewhere, or use a specific skill and they did it with no complaining. Lots of good reasons, but the end result was still that people didn’t really play together anymore.

I feel sorry for anyone who didn’t get to play GW1 before they added heroes and ripped the soul out of the game in the name of convenience.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Monk Tank.5897

Ya, but they sure made completing what you wanted to do when you wanted to do it a whole lot simpler, didn’t they?
I still run around solo. The Zerg runs by <—- this way, and i go —→ that way. Not much has changed without Hero’s.

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

A lot of truth in this thread. Sure, the game is fairly old now and the regular dungeon runners want experienced people with what they consider to be the best build/classes for that run. But my first experience of using the LFG tool for dungeon groups was and still is seeing messages selling positions on a group, using an official in-game tool. To me this was a complete turn off, and not something I’ve seen so overtly done in other MMOs. This sends out a bad message to new players, and kills part of the grouping experience. If people want to do this, and some people want to pay for this then fine, but they should do it privately, and this where ANet dropped the ball. Permitting this advertising on the LFG tool is a bad idea. For me this isn’t in keeping with the spirit of the game.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

A lot of truth in this thread. Sure, the game is fairly old now and the regular dungeon runners want experienced people with what they consider to be the best build/classes for that run. But my first experience of using the LFG tool for dungeon groups was and still is seeing messages selling positions on a group, using an official in-game tool. To me this was a complete turn off, and not something I’ve seen so overtly done in other MMOs. This sends out a bad message to new players, and kills part of the grouping experience. If people want to do this, and some people want to pay for this then fine, but they should do it privately, and this where ANet dropped the ball. Permitting this advertising on the LFG tool is a bad idea. For me this isn’t in keeping with the spirit of the game.

Meh, I see little difference between “selling” dungeon runs and publicly selling Droknar’s runs (that allowed you to skip a TON of the early game content) in GW1.

Posted by: Sister Swiftspell.1869

Sister Swiftspell.1869

What trauma lead to such an anti-social stance for team play in an “MMO” of all things?

I think if you reflect on your question and the tone (or inference) in some of your responses you may just find your answer of why henchmen are often preferred…

@imsoenthused – Henchmen didn’t ruin the social aspect of the game, they simply provided choice and a broader gaming experience that catered to peoples wants/needs. Whether people actually took that choice was completely on them, which you may have but many others didn’t… It’s pretty safe to say that guilds/social play etc. didn’t become obsolete when henchies arrived….

Good game design doesn’t limit choice and allows people to play as they want. It understands that sometimes we’re social creatures, and other times we just want to play on our own… GW1 did this very well and GW2, well I guess you’re either in the herd/zerg anyway so it would only affects dungeons… which is probably why henchies will never be implemented.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

We will have to agree to disagree, assuming by henchmen you mean heroes. I was there. I lived through the difference in the way the game was played after the release of heroes, and then after the release of custom heroes. You say they added a choice, and you are right, but that doesn’t take in to account the choice that the player base overwhelmingly made. I enjoyed the game before heroes, and I enjoyed it after heroes, but it was a radically different experience. Heroes basically made it in to first a two player game, and then a single player game with an always online requirement. The only place people were teaming up was pvp.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

Just would like to say ANET can never solve everyones’ problems. It’s a good game, enjoy what it offers, enjoy what you get. Unfortunately, for me, I don’t have a lot of time to hunt up 4 Players for a Dungeon or invest in Guild Events. So, good by for now GW2, I’ll just be satisfied that GW is still active with henchmen & heroes. I’ll be back, but probably not very often. Hope henchmen comre to GW2 someday, but, either way, GW2 is a good game

indeed and i agree with you fully on this. in GW1 i got stuff done with heros and henchmen at lest . unlike in GW2 every one wants to get in a Conner or run off or they think your class is not good enough for them . and i gave up trying to find people to do dungeons with . it is just not worth the time and takes away from the fun of the game too with people with that said far as dungeons goes for get about it . and if they do put heroes and henchmen in this game . i will use them fully every chance i get.

Posted by: Derenek.8931

Derenek.8931

The loss of available players in GW1 was the reason they added heroes. The game was designed in a way that after a mission was complete, there was no real reason to return to specific towns. However, those missions still needed to be done.

Therefore… Heroes. If no players are in your town to help you, there’s some stupid AI sidekicks, you could take along.

Then as the game got older and people kept dropping out of the system, the hero cap was raised from 3 to 7. For duneons these days, I’d honestly prefer two people each with one or two henchmen to make a full 5 man group. That way we could actually play he dungeons, and look at the maps, explore the zones, and actually fight the monsters. It would actually let us take advantage of the fun GW2 combat system. We’d fight, regroup. Figure out what to do next with our heroes, and then move to the next section.

How weird does that sound? Actually playing the game instead of bypassing every mob. Instead of everybody stacking on top of each other in a corner and luring a stupid AI monster into a spot where it cant move out of, the battle would be free flowing and dynamic, because the heroes are also stupid AI monsters and don’t know how to exploit the game’s inherent weaknesses.

I guess it all goes back to my personal dislike for, run to this corner! Everyone stand on top of each other…Spam out all your spells. Rinse rub, repeat. zZZzzZZzz….

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

personally, i liked the heroes. It gave us options. I played GW1 from release, and quite frankly the majority of the time my heroes out performed most pug groups.

Call it anti-social or whatever, but its nice to go your own speed at times. Stop, smell the roses, sip a coffee, answer a phone. Heroes never got ticked off if you stepped away or were just being slow and meticulous.

In todays game, all you see are speed runs, people wanting an AP>xxx, gotta be on teamspeak, gotta do x amount of dmg or get kicked, or even get to the end of the dungeon and get kicked for no reason other than the leader wants a friend to get credit on the last boss.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

personally, i liked the heroes. It gave us options. I played GW1 from release, and quite frankly the majority of the time my heroes out performed most pug groups.

Call it anti-social or whatever, but its nice to go your own speed at times. Stop, smell the roses, sip a coffee, answer a phone. Heroes never got ticked off if you stepped away or were just being slow and meticulous.

In todays game, all you see are speed runs, people wanting an AP>xxx, gotta be on teamspeak, gotta do x amount of dmg or get kicked, or even get to the end of the dungeon and get kicked for no reason other than the leader wants a friend to get credit on the last boss.

That has been pretty much my experience as well.

Fortunately, I’m part of a very helpful alliance in Guild Wars 1, and a member of a very cool guild here in Guild Wars 2. They even let me bring my necromancer.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Adding a solo story mode option would solve this.

You shouldn’t have trouble finding groups for explorable mode. Especially if you start the LFG and make clear all are welcome. Did AC last week with two people under level 40. Was still cake.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Derenek.8931

Derenek.8931

Only 2 or 3 of the dungeons are ever very active when it comes to excitable
Mode. And for those, there is still often. 30 minute to an hour wait to get five people. It’s pretty frustrating of you want to do Homornof the Waves, and the lobby is empty all day. Especially if you have another person willing to play also.

I still haven’t done all the routes of Arah, or Twilight Arbor because nobody will accept someone who isn’t already an expert. It’s so frustrating!!!