Safest bets for investment!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Instead of complaining about how poor you are, and how everyone inflated the price of items at HoT launch so that you can’t afford them, now is the time to make yourself rich instead!!!

John Smith specifically said he would be correctly markets that have long been broken. Which markets are those you may ask?

John Smith likes items that have well balanced supply/demand. He considers silk to be one of his best successes. It was a super common material that sold for below vendor value. Now it is selling for nearly 4s a scrap!

So what other items are similar to silk that he will be looking for fix? The things I have identified as most likely to increase in value are:

1. T5 leather. This stuf has been sold to vendors for 3 years. It is the best bet you can make.

2. Lodestones. Glacial and Crystal Lodestones have been significantly cheaper than their counterparts for 3 years. You can bet John Smith is going to be looking to increase the prices of these.

3. Jewels/Gems- all those jewels and gems you get from mining have been fairly useless for years now. These are another safe bet.

If you have any other items you think will be fixed in the upcoming expansion let me know and i’ll add them to the list! Happy fortune making everyone!

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

“2. Lodestones. Glacial and Crystal Lodestones have been significantly cheaper than their counterparts for 3 years. You can bet John Smith is going to be looking to increase the prices of these.”

The only viable and ethical way would be creating goods that demand it. Since there are already lots of awesome sword skins they could add in some good dagger skins (tear of Grenth and Jormag’s Needle are terrible…all that for an icicle skin seriously?)

“It was a super common material that sold for below vendor value. Now it is selling for nearly 4s a scrap!”

Because we actually need loads of the stuff for crafting ascended.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

1. T5 Leather? Pff ya right. Even the Zephyr festival that let you exchange them for lottery bags and Mawdry couldn’t put a dent in their price. Unless there’s an option to build a secret third style of Guild Hall entirely out of hard leather, it’s not going to happen.

2. Possible but the new systems are designed to enable the more direct acquisition of high end mats if one does the map content.

3. Not broken. Most gems/jewels/Universal Upgrades are low in cost because they are low level items in a game that has had a heavy drought of new players. Add in the fact that newbies don’t have gold to pay premium prices and it’s easy to see why they have low costs outside of Ruby Orichalcum items.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

“1. T5 leather. This stuf has been sold to vendors for 3 years. It is the best bet you can make.”

Says someone who is sitting on boatloads of this.

ZudetGambeous.9573

1. T5 Leather? Pff ya right. Even the Zephyr festival that let you exchange them for lottery bags and Mawdry couldn’t put a dent in their price. Unless there’s an option to build a secret third style of Guild Hall entirely out of hard leather, it’s not going to happen.

2. Possible but the new systems are designed to enable the more direct acquisition of high end mats if one does the map content.

3. Not broken. Most gems/jewels/Universal Upgrades are low in cost because they are low level items in a game that has had a heavy drought of new players. Add in the fact that newbies don’t have gold to pay premium prices and it’s easy to see why they have low costs outside of Ruby Orichalcum items.

The lottery was poorly balanced. The cost of exchanging the leather was not even the cheapest options. If they had made it cheaper than the other mats then it would have drained it out. Plus that was a temporary sink, HoT should introduce much more long term sinks like ascended crafting did for silk.

Lots of low level mats have good value. Cloth, Metal, Wood, all low level mats with huge price tags. T3-T4 fine mats are quite expensive as well. They are valued because they have uses even at higher levels. I suspect this will be true of Gems once HoT launches too.

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

If you haven’t been investing in mats for the past few months, at minimum, it’s probably too late if you’re looking to make a guaranteed profit once HoT launches.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

“1. T5 leather. This stuf has been sold to vendors for 3 years. It is the best bet you can make.”

You mean everyone.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

If everyone is saving all these low dollar items because they don’t want to vendor them and hope the prices will come up, how will anyone really make any money? The market will be flooded with these saved items and nothing will have changed.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The lottery was poorly balanced. The cost of exchanging the leather was not even the cheapest options. If they had made it cheaper than the other mats then it would have drained it out.

Doesn’t matter. The leather has effectively no purpose forcing it down so low no one is buying it above vendor prices at all.

Even if it wasn’t the cheapest, it would be the first mat people would dump in because:
A: They don’t need it.
B: It’s easily replenished.
C: It felt good to use it on something for once.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

ZudetGambeous.9573

The lottery was poorly balanced. The cost of exchanging the leather was not even the cheapest options. If they had made it cheaper than the other mats then it would have drained it out.

Doesn’t matter. The leather has effectively no purpose forcing it down so low no one is buying it above vendor prices at all.

Even if it wasn’t the cheapest, it would be the first mat people would dump in because:

Except that salvage rates of leather are getting nerfed so it won’t be easily replenished.

Also people used to say the same thing about silk. In fact there used to be MORE silk on the TP than leather since silk is even easier to get than leather.

Add in a similar sink for leather and all of a sudden there isn’t enough within a month.

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

Tiny Snowflakes. I’m gonna craft a new precursor w/ 40,000 Tiny Snowflakes!

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Except that salvage rates of leather are getting nerfed so it won’t be easily replenished.

Also people used to say the same thing about silk. In fact there used to be MORE silk on the TP than leather since silk is even easier to get than leather.

Add in a similar sink for leather and all of a sudden there isn’t enough within a month.

This.

No matter if leather increases in price or not, the argument that:“It can never happen cause there is butloads of it.” is never valid.

Not in an ingame economy where 1 entity controlls all the inputs and outputs with an agenda.

Posted by: OctopusX.7185

OctopusX.7185

hes talking bout gossamer(t6) [&AgEhTQAAAA] and maybe flawless snowflake (t6) [&AgH3lAAAAA] , i hope

(edited by OctopusX.7185)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

hes talking bout gossamer(t6) [&AgEhTQAAAA] and maybe flawless snowflake (t6) [&AgH3lAAAAA

^^ best post yet because chat links on the forums

Edit: 2nd chat link doesnt work, please fix

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

ZudetGambeous.9573

25% T5 leather sections are gone already

50% of T5 leather squares are gone

Who knows what else will happen in the next week.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Wow, I’m watch T5 sections on GW2TP and it’s draining at around 4-12K a minute.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

LOL can’t disagree with you

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

You mean everyone.

Yep. Levelled my tailor and didn’t make a dent in what I have. I’m even considering leveling my leatherworking just to see if I can use the last of it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Need to talk to my vendor see if he can resell me all that leather I sold him this past 3years

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

That new Legendary Axe looks very Watchwork Sprockety…

and obviously raven parts

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Wanze.8410

t5 leather will probably be back close to vendor value again before HoT launches.

I wouldnt be surprised, if at least 50% of t5 leather has been sold to vendor in the past.

Now people will either keep their t5 leather until they run out of storage space or sell it on the tp.

Not saying though that t5 wont stay away from vendor value permanently after HoT launches.

Wanze.8410

Watch that space:

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/69745-raven-mail-carrier

They wouldnt make a legendary require a tradeable good only found in BL Chests after key farm nerf, would they?

Psientist.6437

Lol Wanze….I was nowhere near serious.

Finn the human

Wanze.8410

I was.

Wanze.8410

They said the axe was celestial themed, though, so probably using charged quartz as timegate.

Agree with the raven, though.

Behellagh.1468

If they made a Gem Shop item a requirement we would be hearing the screams across time by now.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

He was nowhere near me…

Snowflakes, at least the T1 tiny snowflake, from wintersday gathering tools and home instance.

Candy corn, market is flooded from Home instance nodes.

The silk scraps have rocketed in value because of the Guild Hall crafting recipes that have been put out.

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

John Smith likes items that have well balanced supply/demand. He considers silk to be one of his best successes. It was a super common material that sold for below vendor value. Now it is selling for nearly 4s a scrap!

So what other items are similar to silk that he will be looking for fix? The things I have identified as most likely to increase in value are:

Silk was never balanced with regards to supply and demand. At first supply was way too high, leading to people selling the silk scraps to the vendor.

When ascended armor and ascended backpack crafting arrived Arenanet tried to make silk more useful. Unfortunately they overshot it with their solution. Basically any class using light armor had to foot the bill paying more than 100 gold more to make their ascended armor. I would most certainly not call that good balancing. It took them many months, maybe even more than a year, to come up with some kind of fix with Silverwastes farming adding more cloth supply into the game. As we all know cloth is the only type of material (compared to wood and metals) that can’t be farmed and requires more materials to craft (compared to leather).

So no, I am not looking forward to what John is going to change to shape up the economy. Knowing how bad the rewards from dungeons were divided from the get go and seeing how badly changes for Silk have been implemented I am going to be very skeptical to see what they are planning to do.

Psientist.6437

He was nowhere near me…

Snowflakes, at least the T1 tiny snowflake, from wintersday gathering tools and home instance.

Candy corn, market is flooded from Home instance nodes.

The silk scraps have rocketed in value because of the Guild Hall crafting recipes that have been put out.

First: cooties!

Second…are being serious about T1 snowflakes, Serious?

Finn the human

Wanze.8410

If they made a Gem Shop item a requirement we would be hearing the screams across time by now.

Well, you need 5 box of fun for quip and moot and 100 uni dyes for bifrost.

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Seaweed is the future.

Behellagh.1468

But you can get unidyes from other sources and boxes are fun are a regular GS drop from other sources. I have a ton of them and only a few came from BL chests and never, unless it was free, from the GS.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Both of which can be acquired without the gem shop.

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well leather continues to climb. sections are down 40% in supply and squares are down almost 60% in supply. Interestingly the prices of squares are lagging behind sections even though the supply is lower.

Gossamer is up as well.

Behellagh.1468

Sections are down only 30%, well thick sections. 16.4 million to 11.4 million.

It’s starting to level out so players are starting to flip rather than hoard.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

candy corn, thick leather sections, mithril ore, elder wood logs. t3 fine crafting materials.

ZudetGambeous.9573

candy corn, thick leather sections, mithril ore, elder wood logs. t3 fine crafting materials.

I think candy corn is a lost cause. I remember they said something like 100,000,000,000 candy corn was obtained last Halloween. The stuff on the TP is a small fraction of that. Unless they remove our nodes, and give us 0 candy corn this year I don’t think it is going to move much. I suppose a new sink is possible, but the amount of candy corn in the game dwarfs every other material by far.

Mithril and T5 wood are a bit of a gamble imo. With the need/desire to forge precursors about to plummet so will the demand for these. Though they may change the drop rates and/or the demand through some other means. I’d call this one a risky investment, could go either way.

T3 mats are probably a pretty safe bet. They aren’t used for much right now so they could see some use.

Leather is still rising. It hit a wall for a while, but that wall has been eaten through and we are still moving ~4k/min down in supply on sections. Squares are starting to dwindle as well now. Crafting cost for elonian leather is way up, you can buy them for almost 50s below crafting cost atm.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Instead of complaining about how poor you are, and how everyone inflated the price of items at HoT launch so that you can’t afford them, now is the time to make yourself rich instead!!!

John Smith specifically said he would be correctly markets that have long been broken. Which markets are those you may ask?

1. T5 leather. This stuf has been sold to vendors for 3 years. It is the best bet you can make.

2. Lodestones. Glacial and Crystal Lodestones have been significantly cheaper than their counterparts for 3 years. You can bet John Smith is going to be looking to increase the prices of these.

3. Jewels/Gems- all those jewels and gems you get from mining have been fairly useless for years now. These are another safe bet.

If you have any other items you think will be fixed in the upcoming expansion let me know and i’ll add them to the list! Happy fortune making everyone!

1. Leather is a good bet

2. Glacial Lodestones are due to hit a seasonal high due to players crafting Halloween weapons which require sigils of the night

3. I wonder if they (jewels/gems) are crafting materials for the new profession. The t5 ones are the ones he’ll want to burn out the fastest if he goes this route. Argument Against: the sands of time used these).

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Candy corn isn’t a lost cause. 90% of it was removed 2 years ago. There was only enough on the TP to make about 140 cobs at one point.

If he wants to get rid of candy corn:

(1) Put highly demanded stuff (ghost dog?) available for purchase at the cob vendor

(2) Decrease Candy corn drops by making ToT bags drop other stuff instead sometimes (cloth, quartz crystals, zhaitaffy all good choices).

(3) New sinks for candy corn (additional craftable Halloween weapons overdue)

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I havnt sold any of my copper/silver/gold ore for over a year. I wont invest in buying stacks of it, but I’m not selling it either.

ZudetGambeous.9573

Leather seems to be leveling off at 35c and 1s respectively. There is a huge wall at 1s for squares so it might go past that after a while. I’ve had a bunch of leather on the TP at 1s for 2 years now, looks like it might finally sell. Still holding onto 30 stacks or so just in case it goes the way of silk.

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

investment and investing in video game money is the most foolish idea ever . no wonder skins and so forth cost so much . all these fools doing this foolish investing in video game money and so forth is noting more then a waste of time. and makes it more harder on the player who does not play a lot of the time. fact

Posted by: Klein.9207

Klein.9207

My money’s on thick, hardened, and gossamers. Just reading from John Smith’s announcement, its going to be much more harder to salvage and get t6s.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

investment and investing in video game money is the most foolish idea ever . no wonder skins and so forth cost so much . all these fools doing this foolish investing in video game money and so forth is noting more then a waste of time. and makes it more harder on the player who does not play a lot of the time. fact

all mmorpgs have end game content, end game content is generally meant for hardcore playerbase, there’s no extra money being made, infact all these trades remove money from the economy (15% tp fee), even if you don’t play much you should still be able to get enough silver to do your crafts and what not during general gameplay, skins are for the ultimate end game (right now, HoT will change that into a new investment I believe)

Wanze.8410

Both of which can be acquired without the gem shop.

Well, i never said they wouldnt make them available via other means, like put them on the loot table for black lion goods from login rewards or something.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I predict the icy runestone market will spike big time.

That guy up in Frostgorge is gonna make bank.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Wanze.8410

I think i saw during build week that you will need dowels for guild hall upgrades.

Considering that most of them are traded under crafting value, I considered buying up a couple of stacks, at least enough for personal use to upgrade my own guild halls.

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well the run on leather has continued through the night. Prices are higher than I thought they would get and still climbing. Elonian leather is now undervalued by almost a full gold from the crafting cost.

Gossamer seems to be the other material people hit the hardest, along with T6 leather.

The demand and price for Glacial lodestones has risen, but the supply hasn’t moved much. These are very interesting to watch since they are used during Halloween for crafting the Halloween weapons, but otherwise have few uses, so they are a prime candidate to see use in HoT. Will probably see a double spike on these since HoT and Halloween are at the same time.