Salvaged mats economy to be DESTROYED

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Guys they have lots of data and been running models and are likely to have economics and maths degrees or doctorates. Its crazy to shoot them down when you really don’t have access to the information, knowledge and expertise they do.

Wait and see.

An economist has training on economy. That doesn’t mean he knows didly squat about fun in an mmorpg. Running models with lots of data won’t tell them didly about fun either, no matter how many math degrees or doctorates they have. It’s not always the best option to base your game around the economy and not about people having fun.

It wouldn’t be fun if the economy goes into hyper inflation or it becomes trivial to get everything easily either. It’s his job to not let the economy collapse.

It’s possible to want to have just a ‘little bit of peril’ without having him come charging over and dragging us away to save us from it, whether we wanted him to or not.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

They’re going to nerf materials output from salvaging, that includes cloth, ore and wood. This just strikes me as the final blow to the economy, and a HUGE middle finger to those who purchased infinite salvage items from their Gem Store.

Definitely.

Is personal insult, this.

Specifically targeting you.

In fact, if I were you, I’d cancel my subscription.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Oh my. Other MMOs don’t try and control player driven markets for good reason. Because once you enter that spider’s web you just create more problems than you solve. The only way markets work properly is if you allow them to find their own equilibrium. Over regulation kills markets. Creating scarcity sounds like players end up with the short end of the stick and creates more grind.

Actually they do. When I played WoW they constantly tinkered with drop rates and material requirements for crafted items

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Massive grind or buy gems = f2p says hello

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

So basically, things are being nerfed to combat the over active SW farmers, causing us wvw players to get even less loot than we currently get (that’s if we’re not scouting, which pays nothing at all) and making wvw even more of a ghost town than it is for large parts of the day and night?

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

So basically, things are being nerfed to combat the over active SW farmers, causing us wvw players to get even less loot than we currently get (that’s if we’re not scouting, which pays nothing at all) and making wvw even more of a ghost town than it is for large parts of the day and night?

We have seen what happens, if too much rewards are spilled out in wvw.

It would result in those SW farmers flogging into wvw and it would probably be the end of good fights, PPT, roaming and reasonable queues.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

Oh my. Other MMOs don’t try and control player driven markets for good reason. Because once you enter that spider’s web you just create more problems than you solve. The only way markets work properly is if you allow them to find their own equilibrium. Over regulation kills markets. Creating scarcity sounds like players end up with the short end of the stick and creates more grind.

Actually they do. When I played WoW they constantly tinkered with drop rates and material requirements for crafted items

Well most other MMOs I’ve played (never played WoW) only changed drop rates because people complained some things were too rare or/and to increase how much money they make from paid for chance loot boxes. Too my knowledge none of them have said they deliberately try to manipulate player driven markets on normal drops or mats (i.e. things that do not come out of cash chance loot boxes).

One would naturally suspect that manipulation of a player driven economy for mats can only be for the benefit of the company. In this case, given Anet’s past decisions to directly reduce the amount of gold in the economy by reducing money from champ bags, chests, and monster kills that they are manipulating the market for their own ends only. I mean seriously, why would you reduce the number of salvage mats when you know demand is going to go up because some of the same mats needed for ascended crafting will also be needed in the new precursor crafting system.

(edited by Vague Memory.2817)

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

They’re going to nerf materials output from salvaging, that includes cloth, ore and wood. This just strikes me as the final blow to the economy, and a HUGE middle finger to those who purchased infinite salvage items from their Gem Store.

Definitely.

I will not cancel my HoT purchase. I have the right to voice my dissatisfaction towards these “fixes”, like you or not. They incentivize gold farming through specific means, then disrupt it all of a sudden without giving enough information on how we’ll be able to achieve the same gold/materials income.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

While they at it…can they fix the gold to gem ratio, it seems to be rigged at the moment.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Guys they have lots of data and been running models and are likely to have economics and maths degrees or doctorates. Its crazy to shoot them down when you really don’t have access to the information, knowledge and expertise they do.

Wait and see.

An economist has training on economy. That doesn’t mean he knows didly squat about fun in an mmorpg. Running models with lots of data won’t tell them didly about fun either, no matter how many math degrees or doctorates they have. It’s not always the best option to base your game around the economy and not about people having fun.

Erm… They are there to keep the economy steady so that gold doesn’t spiral out of control. The fun bit comes from other departments, yes they link up but you cannot ask that control over the economy should be aimed at creating “fun.” And yes their degrees and doctorates and models and data do give them a better perspective over the economy than the people in this thread. (PS. they also know whats coming next – none of us do)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wait and see.

Erm… They are there to keep the economy steady so that gold doesn’t spiral out of control. The fun bit comes from other departments, yes they link up but you cannot ask that control over the economy should be aimed at creating “fun.” And yes their degrees and doctorates and models and data do give them a better perspective over the economy than the people in this thread. (PS. they also know whats coming next – none of us do)

I’ll say to you what I said to Behellagh

It’s possible to want to have just a ‘little bit of peril’ without having him come charging over and dragging us away to save us from it, whether we wanted him to or not.

In other words. Anet is too heavy handed on the economy and thinks of the economy first. Fun is a distant second.

ANet may give it to you.

Wanze.8410

Wait and see.

In other words. Anet is too heavy handed on the economy and thinks of the economy first. Fun is a distant second.

They are focussed on the economy first because the player base is focussed on rewards first. Fun is a distant second.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wait and see.

They are focussed on the economy first because the player base is focussed on rewards first. Fun is a distant second.

Is that the players or the game though? I played Guild Wars 1 for years. I don’t remember this intense fixation on getting the plat in there from the players. I’m sure there were rich, rich players. But it didn’t seem front and center like this game.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

While they at it…can they fix the gold to gem ratio, it seems to be rigged at the moment.

Also gems to gold. $.10 per gold doesn’t sound bad, until you realize it translates into 1,000 gold for $100. That’s a couple of good current releases with 64-bit API’s right there.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

I’ve spent 3 years unlucky in Guild Wars 2 as RNG is unfairly “random” but I could always count on salvaging. The stingy drop rates in this game were defended because GW2 didn’t have an expansion model and “they need to make money by driving gem sales” even though we bought the game. Now we’ve bought an expansion that’s ratcheting up the “scarcity”, why did I bother.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Definitely.

If this game had a sub most wouldn’t be here. This arguement I see quite a lot on here and it’s irrelevant to anything related to Guild Wars.

Infinite salaving kits are still useful they’re just less so.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Coulter.2315

Wait and see.

Is that the players or the game though? I played Guild Wars 1 for years. I don’t remember this intense fixation on getting the plat in there from the players. I’m sure there were rich, rich players. But it didn’t seem front and center like this game.

Do you not remember Plat being worthless and everything being traded in Ecto and then later you would trade DoA weapon tokens. The economy went out of control – I don’t think people understand how important a good economy is for fun. Again I will say; they know what’s coming. <- reading something and saying “oh noes everything will be broken” when THEY know the new reward structure coming with HoT and you don’t is just ignorant doomsaying.

Wanze.8410

Wait and see.

I didnt play GW1 so i cant really say anything about its economy. I guess we could also ask if the chicken or the egg came first.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wait and see.

Do you not remember Plat being worthless and everything being traded in Ecto and then later you would trade DoA weapon tokens. The economy went out of control – I don’t think people understand how important a good economy is for fun. Again I will say; they know what’s coming. <- reading something and saying “oh noes everything will be broken” when THEY know the new reward structure coming with HoT and you don’t is just ignorant doomsaying.

The difference I’m talking about though is not how much plat people had or how expensive things are but how much time people seem to spend obsessing about wealth in this game as compared to that game. People spend a lot more time thinking about wealth in this game and I can only conclude it’s how the game is set up. Something about it makes people fixate on making gold.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

As someone who hasn’t run a dungeon in months, I find nerfing their rewards to be uncalled for. “Shifting” would imply making other reward sources better; nerfing dungeons is more like giving an inappropriate gesture to it.

It is funny how the system is not particularly rewarding I would say, yet tedium seems to be inbound.

But… Isn’t dungeon farming tedious? And exploit ridden? People talk about doing nine dungeon paths every day just for the sake of the gold reward. That sounds tedious to me.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Coulter.2315

Wait and see.

The difference I’m talking about though is not how much plat people had or how expensive things are but how much time people seem to spend obsessing about wealth in this game as compared to that game. People spend a lot more time thinking about wealth in this game and I can only conclude it’s how the game is set up. Something about it makes people fixate on making gold.

Or the people playing are more materialistic and concerned with money – remember we’ve had an IRL global recession and the culture of twitter and facebook where bigger numbers mean good things – being special and measuring yourself against everyone with a number. Also in GW1 you were younger as was I and we may just not have been looking – lets be honest though the main capital city running was just a horde of trade spam (and it was all in ecto, which is something they are trying to avoid here).

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I hope John Smith has plans for Linen (other than a temp injection at Wintersday).

Linen is impossible to farm outside of a very narrow range and I imagine that the karma forge/salvagers and level 51 champ bag openers contribute a very significant % of the overall linen in the game.

I suppose that the t4 leather could be included in the discussion with linen now too.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

There were incredibly rich players in GW1. But I think the main difference was that there was no trading post or antique house in GW1. If you wanted to flip you went to Kammadan and spent hours selling stuff. It was the epitome of not fun. So, most players spent very little time with it and it wasn’t front and center. You made plat, quite a lot of plat, by beating mobs about the head and neck until they were dead. Sure there was DoA and UW and FoW, and many poor little baby raptors that died, but money was made in playing the game and exchanged hands far more slowly in GW1.

Here they have given traders/flippers an excellent platform for playing the game the way they want to play it. The trades in this game are lightning fast, and because of the way player-to-player trades are set up you can’t use items as currency here. I can’t safely trade you my powerful blood for your shadow abyss dye the way I could trade ecto or armbraces in GW1. I’ve gotta have gold to trade. To buy or to sell either way, I’ve gotta have gold to trade. It makes gold very important.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wait and see.

Or the people playing are more materialistic and concerned with money – remember we’ve had an IRL global recession and the culture of twitter and facebook where bigger numbers mean good things – being special and measuring yourself against everyone with a number. Also in GW1 you were younger as was I and we may just not have been looking – lets be honest though the main capital city running was just a horde of trade spam (and it was all in ecto, which is something they are trying to avoid here).

It was only 3 years ago. Was there a Monetary Revolution and now everyone is talking about money and not sex, and I managed to miss it? And of course there was trade chat in that game. There was no other way to sell your stuff, unless you vendored it.

No, it wasn’t the passage of 3 years that caused the switch. It was the switch from one game to another that started the gold fixation.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: thisisit.6954

thisisit.6954

I hope John Smith has plans for Linen (other than a temp injection at Wintersday).

Linen is impossible to farm outside of a very narrow range and I imagine that the karma forge/salvagers and level 51 champ bag openers contribute a very significant % of the overall linen in the game.

I suppose that the t4 leather could be included in the discussion with linen now too.

Not true, just make an alt to around lvl 55 and open all the masterwork bags from SW on that char.. linen/plat or iron/rugged leather. Yes, its not an ideal way. but it is a decent source should you choose to do it.

Posted by: thisisit.6954

thisisit.6954

That was mainly because you could only trade 100 plat max in one trade. You therefore had to use some other “tradeable commodity” for a value over 100 plat. It just ended up being ectos and late also zkeys and armbraces .

Just a flesh wound.3589

There were incredibly rich players in GW1. But I think the main difference was that there was no trading post or antique house in GW1. If you wanted to flip you went to Kammadan and spent hours selling stuff. It was the epitome of not fun. So, most players spent very little time with it and it wasn’t front and center. You made plat, quite a lot of plat, by beating mobs about the head and neck until they were dead. Sure there was DoA and UW and FoW, and many poor little baby raptors that died, but money was made in playing the game and exchanged hands far more slowly in GW1.

Here they have given traders/flippers an excellent platform for playing the game the way they want to play it. The trades in this game are lightning fast, and because of the way player-to-player trades are set up you can’t use items as currency here. I can’t safely trade you my powerful blood for your shadow abyss dye the way I could trade ecto or armbraces in GW1. I’ve gotta have gold to trade. To buy or to sell either way, I’ve gotta have gold to trade. It makes gold very important.

This is a good part of it, imo.

Trade, across the world. Which means drop rates have to be low so prices are kept above vendor value.
Then because drop rates are low and people can’t farm the drops they want from content that’s known to drop specific items you got to have gold to get it. If you have to have gold for that item you (generic player you) go where the best gold producing areas are and play that content over and over.

It’s also a problem where the game doesn’t drop mini pets or mounts or other things that people farm and collect in other games. You can’t kill the one boss over and over till he drops the one item he has. In this game you can farm Teq 100 times and never get the chest with the account bound weapons because they set the drop rate so low, further frustrating people who want it and it’s unattainable (and good luck getting the full set. You’re going to need luck, a lot, with drop rate of an account bound item being rarer than hen’s teeth).

Everything this game does funnels you to the trading post, and therefore to getting gold.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Map specific rewards.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

And we wonder why they don’t share all the details with us……..

10 days, it will go by rather quickly. I appreciate the heads up from ANet saying they are expecting things to change up some. But what we don’t have is the data and analysis that they have so…..maybe relax and don’t put all your investments in one basket, kind of the same way you shouldn’t be in real life either. Breathe people, the world will go on. Some things will go up in value, and some things down. Ask yourself if you know something is overvalued now and plan for that. And if you are that worried, cash aka gold is king.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Again I will say; they know what’s coming. <- reading something and saying “oh noes everything will be broken” when THEY know the new reward structure coming with HoT and you don’t is just ignorant doomsaying.

You must be new….
I’ll clear things up for you. Here in the forums, it’s all about “doom and gloom”. Every change is “horrible” and will destroy the game. Fractals and Ascended were added, “It’s going to ruin the game!!!!!” Daily and Monthly activities added, “It’s going to ruin the game!!!!” the New Play Experience, changes to stats and leveling, “It’s going to ruin the game!!!!” Changes to daily log in rewards, “It’s going to ruin the game!!!!” Etc.

Nearly any and every change that has been proposed, and implemented has been met on the forums with strong knee jerk reactions. After the implementation, there was some complaints, but most of those had to do with bugs and other issues that came along with it. After about a month or so, everything went back to normal, and people complained about how OP X class was, or how RNG is bad. Things quieted down, and no one talked about the changes they were so against. Almost as if once the bugs got worked out, and they got used to it, they found it wasn’t so bad after all….

I gave up trying to bring logic and reason into the forums, most people don’t care about “facts” and “logic”, and so will just ignore you, or try to discredit or ridicule you.

Welcome to the Guild Wars 2 forums!!!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Massive grind or buy gems = f2p says hello

Actually, if dungeon rewards get nerfed, gem price is going to come down for the non-dungeon-grinders of us, as less money enters the economy.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

ok first off… im sensing rehashed ideas in the “had to get creative” aspect of this legendary revamp… so far everything but the small nuances of the weapons themselves is all old content being recycled to look new… staff is 3 years old for chr ists sake, the axe is just a reskin of twilights blue reflection area and the pistol is just a rehash of bolts particles on a slightly tweaked aether pistol. nothing is from scratch… i.e whiteboard session.

secondly why does it matter whether manipulators are in game wanze? I’ll tell you why… said manipulator just gets more ability to manipulate and drive up prices… they now have more money to seize whole sections of an economy and determine prices

last… you all laughed me out of the community years ago when I speculated and showed bits and pieces of how Anet was manipulating the market to jim up or down prices….. this whole blog is proof of that focus…. And I will wager there is more manipulation by them to the market other then they have already divulged as well… I can picture a bot they use to snag up all items in a category below certain prices just to maintain what they feel is the proper “balance” to an economy….

If ANet had a bot buying up low priced items using gold from ANet’s infinite supply of gold, wouldn’t that be injecting more gold into the economy and causing inflation that way?

I see it this way…anet has a set price they would like certain rare items to be… if said item is listed below set price, an auto generated bot buys it up to maintain its current price. Sure the person gets the gold(which is what I think you are referring to as injecting gold into the economy), but the item never sees the light of day again, keeping it rare.

Since the item is rare to begin with, its not likely to have more items like it drop soon (as per RNG sucking in this game). which would allow sufficeint time for said items gold effect, to be mitigated through tp taxes etc, of that person buying other things in the economy. Im sure there are more viable ways I havent thought of yet that also can fit into this, but thats the start.

Just a flesh wound.3589

ok first off… im sensing rehashed ideas in the “had to get creative” aspect of this legendary revamp… so far everything but the small nuances of the weapons themselves is all old content being recycled to look new… staff is 3 years old for chr ists sake, the axe is just a reskin of twilights blue reflection area and the pistol is just a rehash of bolts particles on a slightly tweaked aether pistol. nothing is from scratch… i.e whiteboard session.

secondly why does it matter whether manipulators are in game wanze? I’ll tell you why… said manipulator just gets more ability to manipulate and drive up prices… they now have more money to seize whole sections of an economy and determine prices

last… you all laughed me out of the community years ago when I speculated and showed bits and pieces of how Anet was manipulating the market to jim up or down prices….. this whole blog is proof of that focus…. And I will wager there is more manipulation by them to the market other then they have already divulged as well… I can picture a bot they use to snag up all items in a category below certain prices just to maintain what they feel is the proper “balance” to an economy….

If ANet had a bot buying up low priced items using gold from ANet’s infinite supply of gold, wouldn’t that be injecting more gold into the economy and causing inflation that way?

I see it this way…anet has a set price they would like certain rare items to be… if said item is listed below set price, an auto generated bot buys it up to maintain its current price. Sure the person gets the gold(which is what I think you are referring to as injecting gold into the economy), but the item never sees the light of day again, keeping it rare.

Since the item is rare to begin with, its not likely to have more items like it drop soon (as per RNG sucking in this game). which would allow sufficeint time for said items gold effect, to be mitigated through tp taxes etc, of that person buying other things in the economy. Im sure there are more viable ways I havent thought of yet that also can fit into this, but thats the start.

If they are going to go to all that much trouble why not tweak the drop rates to keep them rare and of a sufficient price rather than increasing the amount of gold in the economy by buying items using their limitless stock of out of game gold?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Also gems to gold. $.10 per gold doesn’t sound bad, until you realize it translates into 1,000 gold for $100. That’s a couple of good current releases with 64-bit API’s right there.

Except it was a dollar per gold back when I started in Dec 2012 so don’t know what your point is. It’s been getting cheaper to buy gold.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

CorrynnStarr.7942

If they are going to go to all that much trouble why not tweak the drop rates to keep them rare and of a sufficient price rather than increasing the amount of gold in the economy by buying items using their limitless stock of out of game gold?

nerfed drop rates are trackable… random generated bots are not… imagine the uproar of nerfing an already kittenty rng system eh…

Just a flesh wound.3589

nerfed drop rates are trackable… random generated bots are not… imagine the uproar of nerfing an already kittenty rng system eh…

Have you ever heard of anyone tracking the drop rates of any items? How would they be tracked? The trading post is very granular and doesn’t show second by second activity or truly show sales to buy orders and they can quickly appear and disappear. When people were discussing the sales of Legendairies and the economist said how many sold in a 24 hour period, it was much more than what the people thought it was, and this was something that people were watching.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

Can I return my silver fed salvage kit because I could really use those gems on something that’s not going to become worthless. Or at least reduce the price of salvaging drastically.

Thanks!

CorrynnStarr.7942

Have you ever heard of anyone tracking the drop rates of any items? How would they be tracked? The trading post is very granular and doesn’t show second by second activity or truly show sales to buy orders and they can quickly appear and disappear. When people were discussing the sales of Legendairies and the economist said how many sold in a 24 hour period, it was much more than what the people thought it was, and this was something that people were watching.

I understand nothing is exact, and I never claimed it was… as far as tracking drop rates, I dont think anyone needs a number to tell you that from last year to this year… a HELL of alot less exotics drop….I used to be able to pull one a day or every other day for the longest time… now you are lucky to get one in a week to a months time. Do I have numbers.. nope… did the nerf happen anyway… yup. maybe there were alot more sales… maybe not.. .ever consider that the lack of anyone not seeing the sales is partly the reason… bots bought them up before we saw them… and thats why you see the same priced item for weeks on end there, but somehow we mysteriously “miss” seeing the sales…..

Behellagh.1468

The only people who knows what’s being dropped at what frequency is ANet. They know what items are used on characters and what items are kept in inventory, TPed, salvaged, forged or sold to NPCs. Unless it was something that drops with such a frequency that altering suddenly drains or radically increases the supply on the TP, it’s invisible to us players.

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

Can I return my silver fed salvage kit because I could really use those gems on something that’s not going to become worthless. Or at least reduce the price of salvaging drastically.

Thanks!

Let’s jump the gun why don’t we.

RIP City of Heroes

Just a flesh wound.3589

I understand nothing is exact, and I never claimed it was… as far as tracking drop rates, I dont think anyone needs a number to tell you that from last year to this year… a HELL of alot less exotics drop….I used to be able to pull one a day or every other day for the longest time… now you are lucky to get one in a week to a months time. Do I have numbers.. nope… did the nerf happen anyway… yup. maybe there were alot more sales… maybe not.. .ever consider that the lack of anyone not seeing the sales is partly the reason… bots bought them up before we saw them… and thats why you see the same priced item for weeks on end there, but somehow we mysteriously “miss” seeing the sales…..

Your theory isn’t adding up, economics wise.

Let’s say the item doesn’t drop frequently. So why would they need to bolster the price? Rare items are almost always high priced. If it does drop frequently then they will have to buy a lot of them. Who are they buying them from? The people selling them. This puts a lot of extra gold from outside the game into the economy by payouts to the people selling these items, (which increases inflation) while at the same time they are trying to keep inflation under control.

Your theory would have them putting excess gold into the economy at the same time they are trying to control excess gold coming into the economy.

By the way. I’ve never gotten exotics to drop like you did. RNG maybe?

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

CorrynnStarr.7942

just a flesh wound, there is more to it then just the influx of gold… when items are sold low, people often by them to flip high. the said item then generates alot more to the market. For instance, a bot could keep an eye out on low offers on exotic items, then buy them itself and relist them higher, thus generating a higher rate of tax and income drained from the economy. A person then might have an item worth a fair amount, but all that gold just spent suddenly poofs cuz it was a bot that received it, not an actual player. it never gets returned back into the economy, thus generating a far higher sink to the economy then just the taxes payed on it.

edited last sentence

(edited by CorrynnStarr.7942)

CorrynnStarr.7942

as a side note this also generates fake rarity and jims up inflation…

as for the RNG of exotics, a year and a half ago, you could do a temple run, boss run and get an easy exotic or 2 a day… you cant do that today. Guild mates noticed teh drop rate decrease too.

Just a flesh wound.3589

just a flesh wound, there is more to it then just the influx of gold… when items are sold low, people often by them to flip high. the said item then generates alot more to the market. For instance, a bot could keep an eye out on low offers on exotic items, then buy them itself and relist them higher, thus generating a higher rate of tax and income drained from the economy. A person then might have an item worth a fair amount, but all that gold just spent suddenly poofs cuz it was a bot that received it, not an actual player. it never gets returned back into the economy, thus generating a far higher sink to the economy then just the taxable amount.

this assumes that the volume of trade wouldn’t swap the high prices and undercut them, forcing the bot to buy more and more and more and more people try to sale and undercut repeatedly when prices are high.

To give an example of the reserves out there. Lunar fireworks.
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/68625-lunar-new-year-firework

When Wooden Potatoes advocated buying these, I bought several stacks for myself. Then I watched to see what would happen. The supply dropped steadily until prices reached almost 3 silver. Then people saw that. Reserves came pouring out of inventory. If you look at all the supply up to the price 2.97 silver, that is all new supply that people put in after they saw the prices, plus all that’s been sold since his video.

A second case. Scientific hammer.
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/69791-scientific-hammer-skin
This hammer I bought for myself and I saw how low inventory was so I started watching it. It steadily sold, dropped down to 6 and the prices shot up (September 18th) to 425 gold. At that point people saw the price and they started coming out of inventory and undercutting each other until it dropped below the price that I paid.

The point is, there is a lot of inventory sitting out there and any attempt to bot buy and sell for higher means that the higher prices will quickly get undercut, and the item won’t sell.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

just a flesh wound, there is more to it then just the influx of gold… when items are sold low, people often by them to flip high. the said item then generates alot more to the market. For instance, a bot could keep an eye out on low offers on exotic items, then buy them itself and relist them higher, thus generating a higher rate of tax and income drained from the economy. A person then might have an item worth a fair amount, but all that gold just spent suddenly poofs cuz it was a bot that received it, not an actual player. it never gets returned back into the economy, thus generating a far higher sink to the economy then just the taxable amount.

this assumes that the volume of trade wouldn’t swap the high prices and undercut them, forcing the bot to buy more and more and more and more people try to sale and undercut repeatedly when prices are high.

To give an example of the reserves out there. Lunar fireworks.
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/68625-lunar-new-year-firework

When Wooden Potatoes advocated buying these, I bought several stacks for myself. Then I watched to see what would happen. The supply dropped steadily until prices reached almost 3 silver. Then people saw that. Reserves came pouring out of inventory. If you look at all the supply up to the price 2.97 silver, that is all new supply that people put in after they saw the prices, plus all that’s been sold since his video.

A second case. Scientific hammer.
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/69791-scientific-hammer-skin
This hammer I bought for myself and I saw how low inventory was so I started watching it. It steadily sold, dropped down to 6 and the prices shot up (September 18th) to 425 gold. At that point people saw the price and they started coming out of inventory and undercutting each other until it dropped below the price that I paid.

The point is, there is a lot of inventory sitting out there and any attempt to bot buy and sell for higher means that the higher prices will quickly get undercut, and the item won’t sell.

And gossamer scraps before and after the update that added ascended crafting.

CorrynnStarr.7942

of course it doesnt work on commonly traded items, they tend to self regulate over time anyways… my example was for the rare and high priced items dropping in loot tables, not purchaseable ones off a vendor. Im talking purely looted items here(sorry for not making that clear earlier). The RNG stuff.