Salvaging karma equipment post patch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

Currently, the only way to get runes off of karma equipment is to transmute the piece with another piece of armor. Not the skin, but the stats. Or use an incredibly overpriced item to remove said upgrade, making it cheaper just to buy the new runes.

With the wardrobe the skins will only be applied to said armor piece, effectively losing the workaround.

Well, I don’t think I’ve heard anything about a solution in the works, and I’m set myself (luckily thought of it before patch). But I thought I’d raise this question and give the heads up for anyone who wants to do this before the patch goes live.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

do you not think this is slightly an exploit? workaround or not, you aren’t supposed to be able to salvage this gear.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

The upgrade component removers are still in the gem store. I’ve had to buy some for my husband and I get get items off of karma items. That’s what you will need to do too.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

Your work around was to apply the runes to a non karma bit of equipment, and add the karma skin to make it look like karma gear even though it was actually the other gear with a karma skin.

You should still be able do that by purchasing a karma item, unlocking the skin, and then using the skin on a salvagable bit of equipment like before.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I believe the wardrobe skins will not even have an upgrade socket. The way I’ve interpreted it is it’s just a skin, and you apply that skin to any item (of the same type) you want, and that item would already have your upgrade. I would bet that it then won’t be considered a karma item, so you could salvage it. like how the radiant/hellfire armor works from achievement chests.
I think you’ll still be able to buy karma items for karma, then you’ll have the skin in your wardrobe, but that karma item will still be non-salvageable. your workaround is what I’ve always done if the upgrade is worth it.
upgrade extractor is a piece of garbage. you can literally sell the gems it takes to buy it for gold, and use that gold to buy /any/ upgrade you’re trying to extract off the TP, and still have more than half the gold left over to spend on something else. I believe they only added the upgrade extractor because we asked for it, and they didn’t want to give it but wanted to seem obliging.
the transmute/salvage is far cheaper – around 4g vs. the 22g for a upgrade extractor.

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

do you not think this is slightly an exploit? workaround or not, you aren’t supposed to be able to salvage this gear.

Not at all. The reason what we can’t salvage karma gear is to prevent getting things like ectos or other materials. If the karma gear is transmuted to a different piece of equipment (say, a lvl 60 white piece) you’ll get the materials from that, instead of the karma gear. The workaround is simply to get the upgrade off, I couldn’t care less about the materials.

I believe the wardrobe skins will not even have an upgrade socket. The way I’ve interpreted it is it’s just a skin, and you apply that skin to any item (of the same type) you want, and that item would already have your upgrade. I would bet that it then won’t be considered a karma item, so you could salvage it. like how the radiant/hellfire armor works from achievement chests.
I think you’ll still be able to buy karma items for karma, then you’ll have the skin in your wardrobe, but that karma item will still be non-salvageable. your workaround is what I’ve always done if the upgrade is worth it.
upgrade extractor is a piece of garbage. you can literally sell the gems it takes to buy it for gold, and use that gold to buy /any/ upgrade you’re trying to extract off the TP, and still have more than half the gold left over to spend on something else. I believe they only added the upgrade extractor because we asked for it, and they didn’t want to give it but wanted to seem obliging.
the transmute/salvage is far cheaper – around 4g vs. the 22g for a upgrade extractor.

I’m thinking it’ll work something like that too. So we’ll be able to transmute skins, but the stats on armor pieces won’t be transmutable anymore.

Yeah the upgrade extractor is way too expensive to be worth using. I’m all set myself and will probably never buy karma gear again. Though, I thought it was worth it to bring it up before the workaround is gone. Nothing worst than someone having traveler runes on a set they can’t salvage in the future.

(edited by Shanks.2907)