Salvaging mechanic makes no sense

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

When you salvage something, the point is to get the most out of something useless by stripping it of it’s usable parts. So naturally when I go to salvage something, I would think my character would salvage, lets just say, a leather coat by carefully cutting the hem and separating the padding from the panel.

Instead I get a few leather scraps, which in my mind says my toon is taking the salvage kit itself and beating the ever living crap out of the coat until it loses a charge.

This isn’t salvaging. If it was real salvaging, I would have gotten the panel, lining and the tag (insignia). I could have salvaged it further to get the squares. But no I took out my childhood frustrations on the coat. Poor coat.

Why can’t salvaging be like this?

Armor/Weapon > Parts (chance for upgrades to break) > Refined materials (slightly reduced amount from original)

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

The answer is in your name. Yolo salvaging all or nothing.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

Instead I get a few leather scraps, which in my mind says my toon is taking the salvage kit itself and beating the ever living crap out of the coat until it loses a charge.

ROFL at this ^.. sadly it is true

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

YOSO – You only salvage once. No swag for you.

The Burninator

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

GW2 salvage kits follow this essential law of MMO Physics:

Whenever something is broken, only 0 – 3 small usable pieces remain, if any at all. The rest despawns.

When you kill a wolf, you don’t get a head, four paws, a tail, a full pelt, all the organs and so on. You get 0 – 3 sharp claws. And maybe also a blue or a green item.

Naturally, when your character pulls apart a coat, they will only get a couple of barely usable scraps. Because that’s how breaking anything in MMOverse works. If salvaging worked sensibly, the economy would implode.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

keep in mind that the quality of the tools you use to salvage also plays a role. better tools, less accidents.

which is why there are different types of kits

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Even with better kits your toon is still annihilating w/e that are salvaging.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

If you’re an artificer then you don’t want rifle stocks and armor plates from salvage. It isn’t as useful as the ore and wood that you get now. It would just be clumsy design for people to salvage their salvage results to get what they really want.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

GW2 salvage kits follow this essential law of MMO Physics:

Whenever something is broken, only 0 – 3 small usable pieces remain, if any at all. The rest despawns.

When you kill a wolf, you don’t get a head, four paws, a tail, a full pelt, all the organs and so on. You get 0 – 3 sharp claws. And maybe also a blue or a green item.

Naturally, when your character pulls apart a coat, they will only get a couple of barely usable scraps. Because that’s how breaking anything in MMOverse works. If salvaging worked sensibly, the economy would implode.

I am still trying to figure out how they fit a greatsword inside of a mosquito.
The salvaging can be explained through clumsiness. :p

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

This is why salvaging should have a long challenging mini-game attached to it per every item. Something like the Operation boardgame and if you hit the sides by accident the item explodes.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.