Salvaging rares-exos gives less Ectos now ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kutchas.6014

Kutchas.6014

Seriously,

Before that **Big patch i was constantly getting min. 5 ectos from 8-9 rares..

I was counting for a week now and it is slightly above **NONE per rare..

Is this intended, explained or do i smell smt. weird…

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Befor the RNG is RNG posts… Actually After the spec patch, I’ve felt like my ecto salvage rate has dropped quite a bit as well:(

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

There is nothing intended.

After playing for almost 3 years, I can garantee you that you’re just screwed by the billion time cursed RNG. Beside, since the patch I got good days with ectos and obviously bad days. Nothing changed.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Since that patch, some days I’ve gotten more ectos than rares salvaged and some days less. It looks about the same to me as from before the patch.

The price of ectos did leap up after the patch, but I was assuming it was due to the ecto gamble NPC.

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19721-glob-of-ectoplasm

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Many regulars here know that an accidental nerf in ecto rate has happened before.

One poster managed to capture the dev’s attention by doing some recorded salvages (and quite a few at that, I think were thousands- if not tens of thousands- of data points). The devs looked at the data, thought it was solid enough to deserve a check of the game code and they did find a bug.

It’s difficult for single players to say for certain if there has been an increase or decrease in ecto drops, purely because of cognitive biases and lack of data points. Often any changes that go undetected by devs would be so minor as to not be detectable by most players, too.

Say if the average is 0.8 ectos per rare salvage (with a master’s salvage kit), the “nerfed” value might only be like 0.78, which is negligible unless you are salvaging hundreds of items.

I would agree that personally, from my last few days of salvaging, I have received fewer ectos than expected. I feel like I used to get at least 1 from salvaging, now I rarely get any.

Hopefully our anecdotal evidence is enough to get some other player interested enough to try their own testing/recording if they are going to salvage a few thousand rares or exotics.

(edited by Crimson Clouds.4853)

Posted by: Adngel.9786

Adngel.9786

Since my point, I’m still receiving Ectos from yellos and exotic. I always use the yellow savage kit of 15 plates. Sometime a yellow item doesn’t drop anything, other times, they drop 2 or 3 ectoplasms. My perception is that from 10 items, I got ectos from 7. I’m happy with it.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

If the salvage rate was altered in any way, I’m very sure that there’d be more posts than just OP’s post right now.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Many regulars here know that an “accidental” nerf in ecto rate has happened before.

Fixed that for you.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Seriously,

Before that **Big patch i was constantly getting min. 5 ectos from 8-9 rares..

I was counting for a week now and it is slightly above **NONE per rare..

Is this intended, explained or do i smell smt. weird…

You smell nothing, nothing changed, and nothing needs to be explained. Before JS has to come in to yet another “ectos got nerfed” thread and say nothing’s changed: nothing’s changed. RNG shifts all the time, and you always had a chance of rolling 0,1,2, or 3 ectos on a rare/exo salvage. You merely happen to be rolling closer to 0 right now.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

Its a strange type of rng that gives great luck on whole days and bad luck on others.
I would have though it would be salvage to salvage. Not whole bad days and whole good days. but it does always seem to work its self out.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

If the salvage rate was altered in any way, I’m very sure that there’d be more posts than just OP’s post right now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Can-we-have-ectos-back-now-salavge-rate/first#post5224646

Amongst 4 or 5 others that quickly find their way to page 3 of the forums. After years of playing the players who salvage dozens of yellows per day can tell when a change has happened. It’ not tinfoil hat theory or Rnghtmares to realize something isn’t right but of course there’s always the same group of spokesmen who jump onto these threads and claim it is.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

(edited by Muusic.2967)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Its a strange type of rng that gives great luck on whole days and bad luck on others.
I would have though it would be salvage to salvage. Not whole bad days and whole good days. but it does always seem to work its self out.

Gamblers in real life have good days and bad days.

RNG can and does have streaks and those streaks can last through an entire day.

And in game unless a player gets a lot of rares and exotics, it wouldn’t be hard to get a run of good luck or a run of bad luck.

Just a flesh wound.3589

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Can-we-have-ectos-back-now-salavge-rate/first#post5224646

Amongst 4 or 5 others that quickly find their way to page 3 of the forums. After years of playing the players who salvage dozens of yellows per day can tell when a change has happened. It’ not tinfoil hat theory or Rnghtmares to realize something isn’t right but of course there’s always the same group of spokesmen who jump onto these threads and claim it is.

The very fact that it quickly fell to page 3 should tell you that other people weren’t seeing this. The time that there was an actual nerf to salvage it became a long thread with numerous posts spanning a significant amount of time. If you google you’ll see numerous threads with maybe 40 posts that pop up regularly claiming nerfs to ectos.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

Gamblers in real life have good days and bad days.

RNG can and does have streaks and those streaks can last through an entire day.

And in game unless a player gets a lot of rares and exotics, it wouldn’t be hard to get a run of good luck or a run of bad luck.

Never been a gambler but your probably right. Unless gabling in this game is gambling. But I don’t use real money. yes I do I buy gems. hoy wait a min. I got a gambling addiction.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Many regulars here know that an accidental nerf in ecto rate has happened before.

When that happened, everyone noticed. Not just a few people. That’s what caught the attention of people who did some personal testing and aggregated results from various posters.

However, it’s not worth posting in the forums unless you are getting fewer than 75 ecto for every 100 rares (L68+) using a mystic salvage kit. (100 isn’t enough to prove anything; it is enough to get attention from other.)

It’s certainly not worth posting if you are going by memory without recording each salvage — human memory about random behavior is provably unreliable. We remember bad luck far better than we remember equivalent good luck and we have no memory for “just average” results.

Since the patch, I’ve gotten closer to 10e for each set of 10 armor I’ve salvaged and maybe 5e on the weapons. That anecdote also has no value to any but me, because I haven’t recorded my totals — I’m just going by memory.

The one single time the ecto drop rate was changed (by accident), it was very noticeable and didn’t take long for people to compile enough evidence to convince ANet there was something to investigate.

Accordingly, people on these forums should assume that there isn’t a change to the drop rate. If you really think there’s an issue, then start tracking. It shouldn’t take all that long to collect data on 100 salvages and those that do will see frequent examples of 5e/10 salvage streaks, even if the drop rate goes up a bit.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

There is roughly 35-40% chance of getting no ectos and roughly a 45% chance of getting 1. 2 and 3 ectos split the remaining chance evenly. In volume, like 100s, this leads to roughly 0.85 per salvage. But in small samples it can vary greatly. Recently I pulled 8 ectos out of 5 rares and times I got only 2 ectos out of 5. A few days ago I got 9 out of 12 which is roughly one short from expected.

But overall since the 23rd patch it seems normal to me as I try to mine ectos for sale.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

Oh, is it time for the bimonthly “I’ve salvaged X rares and only got fewer ectos than I normally do, so the drop rate must have been changed!!” thread again?

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

People have stated that it’s a .8 or some thing rate to get ectos from salvage but since patch I estimate it’s far less than that. Just salvaged 100 rares and got 38 ectos. I lost a lot of money, should have just posted on the TP.

RNG is RNG? Idk about that, feels nerfed. But I wouldn’t discount my absurb bad luck in this game though, it’s bad…reeeal bad lol so who knows.

Behellagh.1468

That’s because it times like this when ectos price surges that those that don’t do it regularly enough start doing it and don’t quite understand that average means average over a large sample and that’s not 10 or even 25.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

People have stated that it’s a .8 or some thing rate to get ectos from salvage but since patch I estimate it’s far less than that. Just salvaged 100 rares and got 38 ectos. I lost a lot of money, should have just posted on the TP.

RNG is RNG? Idk about that, feels nerfed. But I wouldn’t discount my absurb bad luck in this game though, it’s bad…reeeal bad lol so who knows.

What kit did you use and did you record your results for each salvage?

fixit.7189

I use mystic forge kit, I will never use black lions on these since that is like lighting money on fire. I just salvaged 100 rare items I had chucked into my personal banks from the past few weeks and end result was only 38 ectos. If I sold that 100 items on the TP then I would have made way more money is all I am saying.

edit. ah it’s probably not a nerf, it’s just me and my bad luck.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Level 68 rares with a master kit yield:

3 ectos 1/12 of the time
2 ectos 1/12 of the time
1 ecto 11/24 of the time
0 ectos 3/8 of the time

Exactly, for an average of 0.875 ectos per rare.

It’s really easy to go on an unlucky streak – you only get more than 1 ecto (either 2 or 3) 1/6 of the time, and if you’re missing those you’re more or less alternating 0 and 1 – which feels like a serious nerf, but is just a poor streak of luck.

fixit.7189

is just a poor streak of luck.

Three years and counting!

Basandra Skye.4031

The one single time the ecto drop rate was changed (by accident), it was very noticeable and didn’t take long for people to compile enough evidence to convince ANet there was something to investigate.

Accordingly, people on these forums should assume that there isn’t a change to the drop rate. If you really think there’s an issue, then start tracking. It shouldn’t take all that long to collect data on 100 salvages and those that do will see frequent examples of 5e/10 salvage streaks, even if the drop rate goes up a bit.

Let’s not forget the one time JS popped into a thread not too long ago and trounced the thread’s OP for claiming Anet nerfed the salvage rate too, and the OP subsequently backpedaling so hard he made the Alps rise a foot in height.

edit:

What ever I did to wrong anet people, please forgive me…I am so sorry! :S

JS never forgives and forgets he torments and demands penances

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Just salvaged 100 rares and got 38 ectos.

Something else is going to have observed only 38 rares from 100 attempts. The odds are astronomical against getting 50 or fewer — something like a sextillion to one.

The possible “something” might be:

1. Reporter accidentally used some other type of kit.
  2. A substantial portion of the rares were L67 or below.
  3. Reporter accidentally “deposited all” at some point without noticing.
  4. There was some sort of recording error.
  5. The drop rate has been reduced 50% and none of the industrial salvagers have noticed.

I’ve deliberately removed the name of the reporter, because I don’t want to put them on the spot — I’m not making any claims about the accuracy of their observation; I’m merely stating that 38 out of 100 isn’t possible unless one of the above conditions is true.

Based on the report, I doubt (1) is possible; the reporter seems to pay attention to what they are doing. (2) seems possible — I’ve personally salvaged about 20 L55 rares in a row, before realizing, e.g. by opening champ bags on an L55 toon (as is popular now). (3) seems the most likely — who has, after all, not accidentally “deposited all” at least a few dozen times? (4) is always possible and is impossible to kitten how likely.

Of course, (5) is the possibility that concerns us all and is why people will post a question about the drop after (nearly) every update. Here’s why I think it’s unlikely:

• There are industrial salvagers who routinely salvage large quantities of L68+ rares. (Either from crafting their own or from buying rares off the TP that cost far less than the sale price of ecto * .875, after accounting for TP fees.)
  • If the ecto rate changes substantially, they will notice very quickly because it hurts their bottom line.

tl;dr something else is going on for a person to only get38 ecto from 100 rares. I am not at all certain what that “something” is, however I discount the possibility of a substantial drop rate change taking place, without a lot of other people observing similar results and posting about it.

fixit.7189

Yea, just noticed I dropped some into bank by accident…sorry, didn’t even think of that; add another 27. Still below average? Meh. Lesson learned, sell rares to lucky people on the TP and not lose money instead.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I sold 4.100 ectos on the tp in the last 3 months, I propably used and lost an additional 1000 ectos to that skritt.

I dont buy ectos on the tp, which means I salvaged more than 50 ectos per day on average for the last 90 days.

I didnt notice any alarming nerf after patch.

Attachments:

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Annika.7084

Annika.7084

There’s no doubt fewer ecto’s from salvage Rare and Exotic 80’s after June 23rd patch. I’ve done it daily and estimate the yield to around 40% of what it was.

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

I’ve tracked my rare salvages since the start of the game. All salvages were done with either a Master kit, Mystic Kit, or a Silver Fed.

Total salvaged: 49,119
Ectos gained: 43,456
% of ectos gained: 88.47%

Heavy armors:
Salvaged: 12908
Ectos gained: 11221
% of ectos gained: 86.9%

Medium armors:
Salvaged: 23,971
Ectos gained: 21542
% of ectos gained: 89.9%

Light armors:
Salvaged: 10457
Ectos gained: 9086
% of ectos gained: 86.9%

Accessories:
Salvaged: 529
Ectos gained: 475
% of ectos gained: 89.8%

Weapons:
Salvaged: 1254
Ectos gained: 1132
% of ectos gained: 90.3%

Ecto rates overall have held pretty steady for me. I tend to salvage around 800-1500 rares at a time. Rates per session has always been between 87%-91% (+ or – 2% of 89%).

Just a flesh wound.3589

There’s no doubt fewer ecto’s from salvage Rare and Exotic 80’s after June 23rd patch. I’ve done it daily and estimate the yield to around 40% of what it was.

Don’t estimate. That’s worthless. Get the actual numbers.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

I salvaged ten rares on Thursday after Teq and got two salvages of 3 from one in a row. Then I went on a drought, got 1 each from the next two, and nothing from the last. End was 9/10, which honestly beats the expected odds.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

Posted by: Annika.7084

Annika.7084

No it aint worthless, I know what I’m getting and also know what I used to get.

Just a flesh wound.3589

As Illconceived said.

…..It’s certainly not worth posting if you are going by memory without recording each salvage — human memory about random behavior is provably unreliable. We remember bad luck far better than we remember equivalent good luck and we have no memory for “just average” results……

Human memory is fallible and easily biased. Hard numbers are not.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Bella.1640

Bella.1640

Yesterday i salvaged around 22 rare Weapons (no exos), self constructed. And i’ve got more Ektos than i tought.. 21!
Some Items gave me none, but others 3, for example. So.. i don’t think it’s broken.. rly just rng.
Oh, right, i used the mystic salvage kit if it’s important.

(edited by Bella.1640)

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

I’ve tracked my rare salvages since the start of the game.

Nice numbers, but i’m calling BS on them. No one is that meticulous unless they are using a 3rd party program and I doubt such a program existed at launch.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Yea, just noticed I dropped some into bank by accident…sorry, didn’t even think of that; add another 27. Still below average? Meh. Lesson learned, sell rares to lucky people on the TP and not lose money instead.

38 + 27 = 65.

That’s realistically “possible,” but the odds are still a couple hundred million to one of that happening. In your shoes, that would make me want to keep very careful track of my next 100 salvages:

• correct kit
  • correct level
  • and I would move them to the bank after each session, to make sure I’m counting them all.

As I write every time this comes up:

• 7/10 is not at all unusual.
  • less than 70 out of 100 is unusual and worth a closer look.

Behellagh.1468

I wouldn’t say the odds are that low but I would say it’s still within 2 sigmas, 95%.

RIP City of Heroes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For what it’s worth, I just salvaged 19 rares and got 27 ecto. (Which proves nothing, except that my drop rate for a short period was outstanding and that I am expecting a long bleak streak to match it.)

fixit.7189

For what it’s worth, I just salvaged 19 rares and got 27 ecto. (Which proves nothing, except that my drop rate for a short period was outstanding and that I am expecting a long bleak streak to match it.)

You are one those lucky few. Be greatful for that imo.

Posted by: Nyta.4769

Nyta.4769

Pretty much been my experience since the update, too. I was wondering if the ecto salvage rates went up. :x I’ve been averaging well over an ecto per rare using a mystic salvage kit since the update.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I don’t think the ratio of rares/exotics to ecto salvaged would have changed. And I’m sure Anet would tell us if they did change it anyway.

Recently I’ve been just selling my rares instead of salvaging them, because in the times I get zero ecto (and there are many times), I think to myself – well, I could have sold that for 30 guaranteed silver, instead, I get nothing, not even 1 ecto, in fact, I actually pay 60 copper to get nothing in return, really.

So I’ve basically put my silver fed salvage o matic away, and am just selling my rares now. I also deeply regret purchasing the silver fed salvage o matic. I’d rather have guaranteed profit! It’s hard because to some extent I think when you salvage a rare, you should get 1 guaranteed ecto (after all, most level 80 rares are worth 1 ecto if you sell it on the trading post), but then there’s also no incentive to sell it on the trading post if you’re guaranteed an ecto everytime you salvage it… meaning less rares on the TP… So I don’t know how you’d resolve this :-/

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Enko.6123

I’ve tracked my rare salvages since the start of the game.

Nice numbers, but i’m calling BS on them. No one is that meticulous unless they are using a 3rd party program and I doubt such a program existed at launch.

Umm yeah, its called Excel.

I like making spreadsheets on things. Useful for tracking things for gold making purposes such as drop rates for various things or for tracking guild activity by tracking influence gains via dungeons, fractals, events, etc.

Behellagh.1468

I first simply right it down in notepad and then transfer it to a spreadsheet to sum it all up. I did this last year with 1260 salvages with master and mystic kits.

RIP City of Heroes

Basandra Skye.4031

Estimating something like this just means your numbers get disregarded as being biased and/or false. I could say I salvaged 100 rares and got 300 ectos. Without screenshots, however, people would believe that just as much as someone saying they salvaged 100 rares and got 20 ectos.

Enko.6123

So as an update since my last post in this channel, I have salvaged 1970 rares and received 1729 ectos. I also recently switched from using Mystic Salvage Kits to using a Silver Fed (ran out of Mystic Forge Stones finally).

My ecto salvage rates for lvl 68-80 rares using a Silver Fed since my last post on July 4 was 87.76% compared to the previous average ~88.5% rate. I’ll continue gathering data and will separate future data into a different spreadsheet but if this trend continues, the Silver-Fed either has a slightly lower chance, Anet slightly lowered the return of ectos, or I had an extremely bad streak. Another 5,000 salvages should show if the trend continues or not.

Edit:
I just checked the an historical backup of my spreadsheet from June 6 compared to now.
Creation date of the original Excel spreadsheet was January 21, 2013.

As of June 6:
Total salvaged: 42,495
Ectos earned: 37,922
Ecto rate: 89.24%

As of July 8:
Total salvaged: 51,089
Ectos earned: 45,185
Ecto rate: 88.44%

Between June 6 – July 8:
Salvaged: 8,594
Ectos earned: 7,263
Ecto rate: 84.51%

I think I may start tracking the ecto rate month to month to see if when downward or upward trends occur.

(edited by Enko.6123)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Salvaged 3 rares yesterday, got 6 ectos (3, 2, 1). RNG is RNG, people.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

That’s odd. I’m actually noticing more ectos now than before.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

mine actually went up a little bit. stupid rng.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

38 + 27 = 65.

That’s realistically “possible,” but the odds are still a couple hundred million to one of that happening. In your shoes, that would make me want to keep very careful track of my next 100 salvages:

• correct kit
  • correct level
  • and I would move them to the bank after each session, to make sure I’m counting them all.

As I write every time this comes up:

• 7/10 is not at all unusual.
  • less than 70 out of 100 is unusual and worth a closer look.

Okay I have to ask, does the kit level matter for ecto rate??
I would swear up and down remembering there was a big todo about that early on and the kit level wasn’t supposed to make any difference?
Or am I misremembering (as people do) and it was only that Black Lion kits weren’t better than your average yellow (i.e. not a pay to win/profit better scenario)?

I sold 4.100 ectos on the tp in the last 3 months, I propably used and lost an additional 1000 ectos to that skritt.

I dont buy ectos on the tp, which means I salvaged more than 50 ectos per day on average for the last 90 days.

I didnt notice any alarming nerf after patch.

Good grief man, do you take apprentices?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have salvaged 1970 rares and received 1729 ectos… [the] salvage rates for lvl 68-80 rares using a Silver Fed since …July 4 was 87.76% compared to the previous average ~88.5% rate.

…if this trend continues, the Silver-Fed either has a slightly lower chance, Anet slightly lowered the return of ectos, or I had an extremely bad streak.

Creation date of the original Excel spreadsheet was January 21, 2013.

As of June 6:
Total salvaged: 42,495
Ectos earned: 37,922
Ecto rate: 89.24%

As of July 8:
Total salvaged: 51,089
Ectos earned: 45,185
Ecto rate: 88.44%

Between June 6 – July 8:
Salvaged: 8,594
Ectos earned: 7,263
Ecto rate: 84.51%

I think I may start tracking the ecto rate month to month to see if when downward or upward trends occur.

I discount the possibility of a trend based on your numbers. Because rares can drop 0, 1, 2, or 3 ecto to end up with ~.875 average, there’s a higher variance than expected from if was just a Ecto|No-Ecto scenario. Based on the relatively small number of ectos you track, it seems as if all your ratios are within reasonable deviations from the average result.

I’ve run “Monty Carlo” simulations using “Malgalad’s salvage data on the wiki:”http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Malgalad/Globs and seen similar variations.

tl;dr it’s very likely that you are just seeing good streaks and bad streaks, given how close your rates are to the reported averages.

Of course, keep collecting data — it’s always useful to have more, especially from someone who is rigorous about recording their results.