Sanctum Sprint Glitchy-ness

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eye floater.7140

eye floater.7140

I have a lot of fun with this minigame, but holy KITTEN. SO GLITCHY.
Can anything be done about this? Almost every large jump it’s like you’re rubberbanding.
Also, can’t EVERYTHING below the track be considered respawn territory? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen and still been alive, having to then run to the edge as fast as I can so I can REALLY fall and respawn.

Thanks!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Several of the Aspect skills (especially the jumping ones) have severe issues with even minor lag latency. In the past, you could try to guest to a different server to reduce the latency, but now with MS system, I’m not sure how you minimize it….reload / travel back & forth to get a different /IP and hope for something better?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Unfortunatly, this was a MASSIVE issue that ruined my experience of Zepher sanctum the last time around. And I’m sorry to say they havn’t fixed a thing

In fact, last time, I was only able to complete the events by guesting to other, quieter servers. Unfortunatly guesting is no longer an option thanks to the wonder of megaservers.

Please please please fix this before the event is over this time anet. I want to enjoy the bazaar it’s a great concept, but it is simply not playable!

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You need to understand this issue can’t really be fixed by ANet (other than redesigning the skills in some manner to make them less sensitive to lag). It is caused by latency across the internet that ANet has very little control over. ALL of the movement skills are effected by it, but long distance jumping skills that require a precise landing area are going to be VERY problematic.

While zone population may be a factor, your actual latency to and from the server you are connecting to is likely the real issue (which was why guesting to other servers could make the situation better). I’d say 80% of the player I recall having a horrific time last year were Pacific / Asiatic players….those that would have the highest latency to the NA or EU based servers.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

You need to understand this issue can’t really be fixed by ANet..

Speaking as someone who actually knows a thing or two about netcode, I can tell you it can be fixed. Anet needs to rely less on server-side tracking of movement, and more on trusting the client-side responses (In respect to those specific skills), so that if the player’s client says they made the jump, the server trusts that they did indeed make the jump.

Under normal circumstances the server puts a degree of doubt in what the client says to avoid hackers and exploiters, but considering these movements are tied to very specific skills, only obtainable in 2 specific zones, with proper foresight the net code could make exceptions for specific skills or locations to improve responsiveness at a decrease of security (It’s not like botters and hackers can farm anything of use anyway in the sanctum)

At the very least, it’s a terrible idea to design your netcode on the basis that everyone has perfect latency.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

You need to understand this issue can’t really be fixed by ANet (other than redesigning the skills in some manner to make them less sensitive to lag). It is caused by latency across the internet that ANet has very little control over. ALL of the movement skills are effected by it, but long distance jumping skills that require a precise landing area are going to be VERY problematic.

While zone population may be a factor, your actual latency to and from the server you are connecting to is likely the real issue (which was why guesting to other servers could make the situation better). I’d say 80% of the player I recall having a horrific time last year were Pacific / Asiatic players….those that would have the highest latency to the NA or EU based servers.

Perhaps making events that require you to have pinpoint accurate timing in a game that has latency and lag is a bad idea?

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Trial and error will teach how to get around those problems. What works for me is taking the long way instead of using the lightning skills whenever I can. And I don have too many problems finishing in the top 3.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I don’t see why the server-client interaction couldn’t be like:
scenario 1:
client: I’m jumping! yup, I jumped, here’s how that went down …
server: I see you jumped a second ago, I’ve completed the calculations, and yes, you did in fact jump
scenario 2:
server: I see you jumped a second ago, I’ve completed the calculations, and it’s close, but doesn’t quite compute correctly… I’ll add 1 to your likeliness_to_be_a_hacker score. If it hits 10 within the next hour, You’ll require my approval before doing any such tricky maneuvers in the future.
scenario 3:
server: I see you jumped a second ago, I’ve completed the calculations, and I’m calling shenanigans. You went straight from the bottom of the mad king’s clock tower to the top like superman. You get 100 added to your likeliness_to_be_a_hacker score, returned to where you were, will permanently require my approval before doing even the tiniest movement, and an email has been sent to security to see if you deserve a ban.