Scaled bosses (The Shatterer,GM Bounty etc)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

All the bosses in the game scale like crap. You can kill behemoth in 1 minute, The Shatterer in 3 minutes, Short Fused Felix in less than 1 minute etc. Where’s the fun? not only that but alot of people get stuck in wp and their camera get stuck. It’s no fun fighting a boss when you kill it so easily. Where’s the excitement in that?

Make them scale better..also maybe add more abillities that can wipe a whole raid of 80s. Please.

Posted by: yoshoken.9432

yoshoken.9432

I already lag enough with a million spells flying around from the Zerg. I can deal with it for 3 minutes but not 30.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

All the bosses in the game scale like crap. You can kill behemoth in 1 minute, The Shatterer in 3 minutes, Short Fused Felix in less than 1 minute etc. Where’s the fun? not only that but alot of people get stuck in wp and their camera get stuck. It’s no fun fighting a boss when you kill it so easily. Where’s the excitement in that?

Make them scale better..also maybe add more abillities that can wipe a whole raid of 80s. Please.

Considering the low bosses generally have mixed groups of players at different levels, the whole add new abilities to wipe groups of 80’s might not be the best idea in the world.

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Don’t forget the wurm in 3 seconds!

Posted by: BurnedToast.3781

BurnedToast.3781

Anet has a real problem with world bosses.

If they scale up damage and HP, the bosses start one-shotting people… we did that during the southsun opening one-time event and it was stupid, everyone hated it, it was pretty much the opposite of fun.

If they scale up HP only, then it’s just a long boring pinata beat-down.

They can’t make it require real strategy and teamwork, otherwise the elitist guilds will just yell and complain at pubs to leave because they are making it harder for them, and that goes against anet’s philosophy of players always being happy to see someone coming to help.

So what else can they do? The current system sucks, but at least people can beat the boss down, collect their loot, and move on. They could tweak it a little to make it last a bit longer (poor SB dies in like a minute every time…), but it’s never going to be challenging except for small groups of people.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Blind needs to be changed. It’s kind of funny that blind spam can negate an entire mechanic. Take the Jungle Wurm for example. Without blind, people are knocked back, feared and poisoned. With a single blind every few seconds, it’s as if the boss is a target dummy.

In some cases, it doesn’t even make sense that certain attacks can be blinded. Take a PBAoE for example. How could that possibly miss?

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Blind needs to be changed. It’s kind of funny that blind spam can negate an entire mechanic. Take the Jungle Wurm for example. Without blind, people are knocked back, feared and poisoned. With a single blind every few seconds, it’s as if the boss is a target dummy.

In some cases, it doesn’t even make sense that certain attacks can be blinded. Take a PBAoE for example. How could that possibly miss?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if blind stayed on your character for the duration and essentially caused all your attacks to fire as if you didn’t have an enemy selected. (You’d have to face, aim, etc.)

But… that would make it useless in PvE.

Posted by: Zoldyck.6241

Zoldyck.6241

Don’t forget the wurm in 3 seconds!

You haven’t seen the wurm lately I guess?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

As I see it, the issue with world bosses is that they’re scaling up the wrong things.

Instead of scaling up health and damage, they need to scale up the mechanics for the fight.

For example, take the Shatterer’s healing crystals mechanic.

Regardless if you got 10 or 50 people there, the same number spawns everytime, meaning that the majority of players can ignore the mechanic and still whale on the boss (even if it doesn’t do anything) while a few burn the crystals down.

Now, if they:

• Scaled the number of crystals up (say, an extra one for every 3 players)
  • If the crystals weren’t taken down in, say, 20 seconds, not only would the Shatterer gain 1/8th of his health back for every crystal left as well as a defensive shield with X charges, but they’d also explode, healing any mobs in a radius around them and debuffing players with a +% damage increase from Branded for x seconds.

It would mean people would have to take note of the mechanic. If you wanted to go a bit extra, make it so crystals could only be damaged by certain combo fields and finishers.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

It’s hard to add strategy to an open world boss that 50 random ppl are gonna kill every 3hrs.

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

TheDaiBish.9735

It’s hard to add strategy to an open world boss that 50 random ppl are gonna kill every 3hrs.

Not hard.

It’s just the forums would explode with posts like ‘what do you mean I’ve got to work with others?! That doesn’t fit into my playstyle!’

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Anet has a real problem with world bosses.

If they scale up damage and HP, the bosses start one-shotting people… we did that during the southsun opening one-time event and it was stupid, everyone hated it, it was pretty much the opposite of fun.

If they scale up HP only, then it’s just a long boring pinata beat-down.

They can’t make it require real strategy and teamwork, otherwise the elitist guilds will just yell and complain at pubs to leave because they are making it harder for them, and that goes against anet’s philosophy of players always being happy to see someone coming to help.

So what else can they do? The current system sucks, but at least people can beat the boss down, collect their loot, and move on. They could tweak it a little to make it last a bit longer (poor SB dies in like a minute every time…), but it’s never going to be challenging except for small groups of people.

About what I wanted to say. It is absolutely amazing though if you get on a boss (except golem mark II for some reason) with less than 10 people. You can see the mechanics, you need a good strategy. Getting it to be the same for 100 people is not going to work though.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The world bosses are not meant to be hard to kill, just to require a large group. Complicated bosses like the Claw of Jormag, with several stages and a complete regen in the middle, are actually less popular because it takes a long time. The point of the bosses, especially in low level areas, is to scratch the itch and move on.

Posted by: Zeno.8493

Zeno.8493

Not hard.

It’s just the forums would explode with posts like ‘what do you mean I’ve got to work with others?! That doesn’t fit into my playstyle!’

Enlighten us then oh wise one. If it is not hard explain to us how you would be able to scale a world boss with 50 people of all different levels to make it “challenging”. Please we are waiting.

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Not hard.

Very true but with good reason, because the open world pve is meant to cater to everyone not just to a few hardcore players (mind you this is supposed to be a game for casual players) who want everything to be harder or for some reason want groups of 50-100 people to try to coordinate actions without a suitable device to help do so. If you wish to force team gameplay on people feel free to check out some dungeons cause that’s exactly what it is… If anet thought for a single second forcing people to play together like that was a solid idea for the entire community this would have been taken care of a long time ago… the community as a majority raging isn’t worth the 1% that this would make happy.

TheDaiBish.9735

Not hard.

Enlighten us then oh wise one. If it is not hard explain to us how you would be able to scale a world boss with 50 people of all different levels to make it “challenging”. Please we are waiting.

1. Within the area of the meta-event, there is a hard cap on stats can reach up to (for example, level 15 masterwork for Shadow Behemoth). This way, level 80’s with Exotics aren’t going to be killing things before the people who are level appropriate for the area can even get there / get a hit in.

2. You tailor the scaling to the fight mechanics, and not simply health and damage, so players have to take note of the fight mechanics (otherwise what’s the point of them being there?). For example, say an extra portal for every 3 players spawn on the Shadow Behemoth fight, with extra mobs from each portal for every number of players up to 3 (so say a portal spawns 3 adds, it would spawn 5 for every player and 7 for every two players, and reset back to 5 per portal for every 3 players, since that creates a new portal).

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Zeno.8493

Zeno.8493

Not hard.

1. Within the area of the meta-event, there is a hard cap on stats can reach up to (for example, level 15 masterwork for Shadow Behemoth). This way, level 80’s with Exotics aren’t going to be killing things before the people who are level appropriate for the area can even get there / get a hit in.

2. You tailor the scaling to the fight mechanics, and not simply health and damage, so players have to take note of the fight mechanics (otherwise what’s the point of them being there?). For example, say an extra portal for every 3 players spawn on the Shadow Behemoth fight, with extra mobs from each portal for every number of players up to 3 (so say a portal spawns 3 adds, it would spawn 5 for every player and 7 for every two players, and reset back to 5 per portal for every 3 players, since that creates a new portal).

1. There is already a hard cap on stats when you go to lower level areas. If you actually mean capping the stats to level 15 masterworks on Shadow Behemoth for example what would the point of getting exotics be when the stats are going to just be capped to a different weapon.

2. Once again fighting mechanics already scale with the increase in players. If you actually think that adding an extra portal for every third person in SB then that would be taking it to the extreme. That’s 16 portals plus the 3 that are already on there, assuming there are 50 people doing it. Doesn’t sound like much less of a grind tbh.

TheDaiBish.9735

Not hard.

Very true but with good reason, because the open world pve is meant to cater to everyone not just to a few hardcore players (mind you this is supposed to be a game for casual players) who want everything to be harder or for some reason want groups of 50-100 people to try to coordinate actions without a suitable device to help do so. If you wish to force team gameplay on people feel free to check out some dungeons cause that’s exactly what it is… If anet thought for a single second forcing people to play together like that was a solid idea for the entire community this would have been taken care of a long time ago… the community as a majority raging isn’t worth the 1% that this would make happy.

I’d argue there’s a massive difference between casual players and players who feel entitled to being able to down a boss and loot simply by being there.

I’m a casual player myself. I don’t get often to play, and when I log in I don’t have a particular goal in mind.

That being said, I think that the open-world bosses (with a few exceptions) during prime hours are just too simple. It’s pretty much guaranteed you’re going to get the loot.

Being a casual player doesn’t mean that they are adverse to challenge.

Being an entitled player who thinks that they should be rewarded for showing up and that success should be guaranteed are.

As for the ‘forcing’ teamwork, maybe for regular events, but for these big events, taking down these monsters, I personally find it pretty uninspiring that they can be beaten so easily and with little co-ordination.

Of course, give players the time beforehand to organise and come up with a plan. But at is stands, most of the big events are mediocre at best, and mediocrity is a terrible fate.

As for the ‘forcing’ people to work together, what’s the point of DE’s if that’s the case? They might as well be quests, as opposed to challenges the community faces together.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

TheDaiBish.9735

Not hard.

1. There is already a hard cap on stats when you go to lower level areas. If you actually mean capping the stats to level 15 masterworks on Shadow Behemoth for example what would the point of getting exotics be when the stats are going to just be capped to a different weapon.

2. Once again fighting mechanics already scale with the increase in players. If you actually think that adding an extra portal for every third person in SB then that would be taking it to the extreme. That’s 16 portals plus the 3 that are already on there, assuming there are 50 people doing it. Doesn’t sound like much less of a grind tbh.

1. True, but as you can see from the events, the scaling isn’t enough. Mybe a better way of putting it would have been making scaling harsher (taking into consideration things like boons the player can get ect.) At the end of the day, how are level-appropriate areas supposed to do these events that are built for these levels when 80’s in full Exotics are burning the bosses down in minutes?

2. The whole portals thing was an example, not an actual suggestion in itself. As for the actual mechanics, they don’t scale. The only things that scale are health, damage and adds (I think). Things like SB portals, Shatterer’s healing crystals don’t scale. They’re a set amount everytime. And while it does sound like a grind, if the mechanics were made more engaging, it would become an engaging, challenging fight.

Sorry for the vagueness, I’m typing off of my phone, and it’s a kitten to get everything I want to down.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.