Scaling down: not balanced right?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Saidor.7028

Saidor.7028

As i’m progressing through the game i’m finding that if i’m playing in an area close to my level i’m very effective and can fight against two or three opponents at a time without a huge problem. However, when I play in a lower level area and scaling down occurs, I really struggle, even though when I went through that area at the equivelant level, I was perfectly ok.

So are they getting the scaling level right? Its getting a little costly with repairs.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Is your gear updated to your real level?

If anything, my experience is that low level areas down scale me down enough. On my Mesmer, Thief, and Guardian I waltz through areas that are ten or so levels below my real level.

The only time I had trouble was when I got downleveled and ran into mobs that were four or five levels above my downleveled , because they were right on on of those borders between areas where the downleveling shifts.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Make sure your gear is approprate.

For example, if your a level 40 with level 30 blue gear downleveled to level 10, it would be equivilant to being a level 10 running around with level 7ish blue gear.

If you are running around with level 20 gear as level 40, downleveling will put you at level 5 gear in a level 10 spot.

Equiping higher rareity gear will help with this quite a bit.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I have noticed this. At level 80 my necro has around 21k health, yet if I did TA explore (lvl 55 downscale), my health is just over 10k…. Because reducing my level by about 1/3 means cleaving my health pool by over 1/2?

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

This doesn’t sound right at all. With gear and traits/skills, you should be breezing through the lower levels. That’s what happens to me. I tend to struggle at things close to my level (well, on my Elementalist), and have an easy time of it at lower levels.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

I think it should get looked into some more. The downscaling does seem a little off. To the point that you feel a little squishier when you are a level 80 downscaled to a 10 zone.

What also needs a huge tweak are hit boxes and how off they seem. But that is an entirely whole new thread.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Hey folks, a few details?

Your gear downscales with you in proportion to your level. If you’re level 60 and you have a weapon which is 55 then it’ll be fine within a zone whose range is closer to your real level. But if you go to a spot where you are scaled down to level 10? Your gear will be effectively level 9. Not a big deal?

What if your gear isn’t as up to date? Or what if you’re not 60 but 80 and have gear which isn’t up to date?

That was a problem I was informed about midway through September as I asked /map what was the deal and someone was kind enough to tell me I should look into gear closer to my level.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

Hey folks, a few details?

Your gear downscales with you in proportion to your level. If you’re level 60 and you have a weapon which is 55 then it’ll be fine within a zone whose range is closer to your real level. But if you go to a spot where you are scaled down to level 10? Your gear will be effectively level 9. Not a big deal?

What if your gear isn’t as up to date? Or what if you’re not 60 but 80 and have gear which isn’t up to date?

That was a problem I was informed about midway through September as I asked /map what was the deal and someone was kind enough to tell me I should look into gear closer to my level.

still does not explain, being an 80 with all 80 gear, downscaled to, say….a level 10 zone, that the 80 seems a little squishier vs a level 10 character that is in the zone. It just does seem a little off.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Funny, as an Elementalist the downscaling has the opposite effect. I could walk into Kessex Hills and take every centaur in the zone and they’d never kill me.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Kindread.9481

Kindread.9481

The only time that downscalling has been an issue for me is when you are on the line of a level adjustment area, sometimes the higher level mobs will path over pretty close to the lower level area. As an example I went back to Metrica Province (a level 1-15 zone) at level 41. There was an area that I was downleveled to 10, right next to it was an area that was set for level 15, and as soon as I walked into that area I would have been set to level 15. Well there were some mobs that wandered a bit to close to the level 10 area and aggroed on me while I was still level 10 … Needless to say I was a bit shocked when only 2 of them destroyed me.

Normally I would have to agree with Peetee, as a high level with a bunch of traits/skills you can walk through a lower level area and pull some pretty massive groups and walk away nearly unscathed.

Posted by: Ighten Hill.5038

Ighten Hill.5038

Same problem then I realized my gear was 10 lvls out..

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I’ve found I am much stronger when scaled down than I was going through the content. Gear(more stats on gear), traits, etc. are fully exploited in the scaling process so the tendency is to be a little or a lot stronger than the lower level content. Don’t have any numbers on this, just my experience of it. Sometimes, some aspects like personal story seem to be much more challenging (or cheap depending on your take on this) than other content, but that’s another discussion.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

still does not explain, being an 80 with all 80 gear, downscaled to, say….a level 10 zone, that the 80 seems a little squishier vs a level 10 character that is in the zone. It just does seem a little off.

I’m a ranger, the supposed quintessential underpowered class.

I don’t go down as often as a level 10 character when back-tracking through Queensdale

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.