Scaling drawback

Scaling drawback

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

I ’ve been playing this game for about a month now and it has been a blast so far, aside from one thing that is somewhat beginning to annoy me.

I think scaling is a marvelous thing and it is in fact one of the features in this game that has me jumping up and down with joy (figuratively speaking of course).

It really sucks to spot an event, run to join the fight, only to arrive to the scene too late because some lvl 80 /140+mastery cleaned it out in 3 seconds flat. It’s not always exactly like that but you can forget ever encountering special elites when there’s one of those around.

Even when you are there countering waves it’s often difficult to get a few hits in before whole groups are wiped from the place by AOE. Not to mention that it spoils the fun in the sense of missed immersion and missed loot. I ‘m quite in love with the loot bags some mobs drop (who isn’t ).

It is not going to spoil my fun too much and i realise it’s just a minor drawback but it can be annoying when some Superdude is persistently cleaning house on the same map that i am trying to level and do my thing on.

Scaling drawback

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

That is an unfortunate side effect of the scaling not really pulling higher levels down to map level, thanks to their better gear and full array of skills and traits, combined with the occasional “do 4 events in this starter map” daily.

You are most likely seeing that when level 80’s have a do-four-events daily; otherwise they don’t have much incentive to speed-roll the low level events.

Scaling drawback

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah. That’s a problem and it’s the reason I don’t do event dailies on low/mid level maps on my level 80 chars. On event dailies if you’re on one of those maps, you might want to go to another map to level.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Scaling drawback

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

That is an unfortunate side effect of the scaling not really pulling higher levels down to map level, thanks to their better gear and full array of skills and traits, combined with the occasional “do 4 events in this starter map” daily.

You are most likely seeing that when level 80’s have a do-four-events daily; otherwise they don’t have much incentive to speed-roll the low level events.

I don’t think downscaling is the problem, so much that event scaling only seems to take into account how many people there are, and not their levels. If event scaling in core tyria maps could be changed to scale based off of the combined level of the players, this should be a non issue. That way, 4 level 40 characters would have the same event scaling as 2 level 80s, and the difficulty should be better balanced for a wider range in group sizes, regardless of whether its level 80 characters or not.

Scaling drawback

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t think downscaling is the problem, so much that event scaling only seems to take into account how many people there are, and not their levels. If event scaling in core tyria maps could be changed to scale based off of the combined level of the players, this should be a non issue. That way, 4 level 40 characters would have the same event scaling as 2 level 80s, and the difficulty should be better balanced for a wider range in group sizes, regardless of whether its level 80 characters or not.

Maybe they can apply the ridiculous HoT scaling. “Oh hey looks like there are two people around! Lets spawn some lv83 elites.”

Scaling drawback

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

It’s a problem everybody has, even at level 80/186 Mastery. People come with Elementalists to these dailies and spam AoE spells on the area where the group of low level mobs will spawn. When the silhouette of the mob appears, its health bar is already down.

I think it would help if players slowed down a bit, but only one AoE spammer destroys that approach because he forces the others to do the same. When I’m at those events with my Thief, I only shoot one bullet after the other with #1. If only one bullet hits, I get credit for the event. I then usually just move on to another event because you don’t have to stay in the area to get the credit for the daily. You can actually jump from event to event, just landing one hit, and then go farm on the map until the events finished. That works as long as there are people who successfully finish the event, and that’s always the case because with low level characters participating, the additional XP and Karma from gold participation is worth it.

For me, those XP have basically no value so I don’t care if I get bronze or gold. 250 Karma is also nothing if you have a million or more. Only reason for me to actually stay for kills is when I get a heart completion for it.

If there is a champ and someone fights it alone and it dies too quickly: remember, we cannot see you coming. There is no indication on the mini-map that someone comes running to the champ and is around the corner. I’m not going to call out a mini-champ that is killed within 30 seconds on map chat, I just finish it and move on.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Scaling drawback

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

Thank you all for your replies.

It is good to see it’s a known problem. I can’t imagine there is much that can be done about it. As Faaris mentioned there is player discretion but indeed, you can’t see people running in on the map

Well, it’s off my chest in any case.

Thanks again all for the civil replies…. quite refreshing.

Scaling drawback

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I don’t think downscaling is the problem, so much that event scaling only seems to take into account how many people there are, and not their levels.

If you need to scale events differently based on the levels of the players participating, that means downscaling is the problem. Downscaling was meant to make a level 80 roughly equal to the level of the area. The problem is, low levels are generally severely undergeared. When I max out a low level, I can also run around 2 shotting enemies.

The problem with scaling is gear. They should have stuck with the GW1 style and went stat-less. How are they supposed to balance events when everyone could be a max DPS zerker or everyone could be a no DPS nomads? It’s why scaling is so broken in zergs, because zerkers are effectively doing 10x the normal damage of an individual. Group buffs alone are 4×.

Scaling drawback

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

This and beyond this.

ANet really needs to change that zone-specific daily to a regional daily so we’re not cramming tons of players into overwhelming the events.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Scaling drawback

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

This and beyond this.

ANet really needs to change that zone-specific daily to a regional daily so we’re not cramming tons of players into overwhelming the events.

For real. I miss the old times where it was simply “Shiverpeaks Event Completer” instead of map-specific locations. It still had people spread out into those regions without locking out players that don’t have higher level characters when the daily is a mid-high level zone.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Scaling drawback

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I don’t think downscaling is the problem, so much that event scaling only seems to take into account how many people there are, and not their levels.

If you need to scale events differently based on the levels of the players participating, that means downscaling is the problem. Downscaling was meant to make a level 80 roughly equal to the level of the area. The problem is, low levels are generally severely undergeared. When I max out a low level, I can also run around 2 shotting enemies.

The problem with scaling is gear. They should have stuck with the GW1 style and went stat-less. How are they supposed to balance events when everyone could be a max DPS zerker or everyone could be a no DPS nomads? It’s why scaling is so broken in zergs, because zerkers are effectively doing 10x the normal damage of an individual. Group buffs alone are 4×.

I disagree. A lvl 80 player should have an easier time killing mobs on a map. You shouldn’t punish their work to level up and gear up by pulling their stats down to the average character at that level (AKA pulling their stats down to a poorly equipped, level appropriate character). Instead you just need to scale events up that they are participating in more than you would for a level appropriate character. As it is, even if their stats were pulled down much further than they already are, the lvl 80s have access to 3 traitlines and sup runes/sigils instead of just 1 or 2 traitlines and minor/major runes/sigils (or even no runes and sigils like most low level players), which would still make them significantly stronger.