Scam by e-mail

Scam by e-mail

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

Hello, fellas! Excuse me if this isn’t the right forum to write this, but I didn’t find another place to do it.

Since something like a month ago, I had been receiving an e-mail like the one that I attach next, supposedly sent by ANet.

Please, double check every ANet e-mail (or any e-mail, really), regardless of how much official-looking it is. Check the real url on the link, or better yet, don’t click on it, and go directly to ANet page.

Hoping to help, see ya on Tyria.

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

(edited by Moderator)

Scam by e-mail

Posted by: Mabel Pines.3150

Mabel Pines.3150

Thank you! I would have definitely fallen for that scam, but now I’ll pay closer attention!

Scam by e-mail

Posted by: Rip Van Winkle.4859

Rip Van Winkle.4859

There is a sticky topic on this plus about 20 post like this a week.
Never ever click any E-Mail Links.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Common-Phishing-E-mails/first#post4064747

Scam by e-mail

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Always, always, always double check the link before clicking on it. The vast majority of businesses, if not all businesses, that require you to have some sort of secure login will never ask you to provide account names/numbers and passwords.

I honestly have little sympathy for anyone who doesn’t do the most basic of security checks and ends up being scammed or hacked.

Scam by e-mail

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Besides the never-click-a-link rule, “Guild Wars 2 Account Will Be Shut Down Inform” is a dead giveaway this is not legit. While most of the email manages decent grammar especially compared to most phishers — albeit not quite in the tone of most ANet communications — the header fails.

My peace of mind is aided by the fact that I simply don’t do anything even vaguely questionable financially with my account, so all the emails of that ilk I’ve gotten through the years regarding such matters I have been quite serene about trash-binning. I think I’ve only fallen for a phisher one time in 30 years, and it wasn’t game related.

Scam by e-mail

Posted by: Moderator.8539

Moderator.8539

I removed the text of the mail in the OP since it contained the original links. This phishing e-mail is one of the known ones and is listed here as well: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Common-Phishing-E-mails/first#post3734254

Please consult that thread for other common text of these mails and more information and steps to protect yourself. Stay vigilant, people! =)

Scam by e-mail

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

… you posted the actual links…?