Scepter Master achievement as a Mesmer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I apologise for sounding negative, but: this was the most aggravating cheevo ever. As a mainhand weapon, this thing is slow, there is even a pause before the clone is generated, and is lacking in every way in comparison to the sword, staff, GS etc.

I love this game, but working with this weapon makes me hate it more every time I try. It is extremely clunky and inefficient and its slowness means I can generate clones far faster with other weapons, utilities, or even just dodging.

I realise folks have a lot on their plate, so I don’t expect an immediate fix (obviously folks would not over one complaint anyway), but I probably will never use this weapon again once I’m done the achievement, just because every other weapon does things better and faster.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Try killing things with a shield if you think scepter is bad.

Sylv.5324

LMAO.

I know the faster way is to kill ambient critters and I’ve been doing some of that, but yeah. Target, PAUSE, SA-WING, PAUSE, SA-WING, PAUSE, do a little jig, oh hmm, right, I should cast now, SWING! Oh, a clone. I could’ve generated six by now.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Scepter vs shield…..HMMMM….

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Try killing things with a Warhorn on a Necromancer or Warrior.

Sylv.5324

Hear our pain, ANet! <3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Astral Projections.7320

True, true. As someone with 8 maxed professions I tend to overlook the not viable weapon/profession combinations. When I want to work on warhorn kills I go to my Ranger. For people who only have a main and their main can’t get a weapon’s kill achieve because the skill has essentially no killing ability, then that’s a major pain. When you only have the one, it sort of feels like a cheat to make another profession just for that weapon. Hopefully the new skills they are talking about will address this.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

AS a mesmer traited and geared for Scepter + Sword, i say that this is actually a very powerfull combination. However, most of the players don’t actually care about the scepter.

The only scepter issue imho, is the #1 (1.1, 1.2 and 1.3) skill. Completely inutile.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Sylv.5324

Yeah, I’m deffo traited for sword/gs. :<

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Pro tip: Don’t do scepter master with a mesmer then. Try a Guardian, Elementalist or Necro.

Warhorn. Ranger is the only class that does any damage with it, so the only class that can even complete that weapon master, and it’s one attack every 25 seconds.

Enjoy.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I went back and tried mesmer again… and that is exactly what I thought. Sceptre was just painfully slow. Such a turn off to new players of the profession.

Posted by: realloc.5846

realloc.5846

Warhorn. Ranger is the only class that does any damage with it, so the only class that can even complete that weapon master, and it’s one attack every 25 seconds.

False.

Necro’s Locust Swarm does aoe damage enough to kill a pack of white critters.

So, necro with warhorn 5 autoattacking + idea incubation lab = epic win

realloc.5846

For people who only have a main and their main can’t get a weapon’s kill achieve because the skill has essentially no killing ability, then that’s a major pain. When you only have the one, it sort of feels like a cheat to make another profession just for that weapon.

Is making alt for weapons that your main character just cant equip “feels like a cheat” too?

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Yeah, yeah….try doing pistol on an engineer. Everything dies by the conditions and none of the kills count.

Astral Projections.7320

For people who only have a main and their main can’t get a weapon’s kill achieve because the skill has essentially no killing ability, then that’s a major pain. When you only have the one, it sort of feels like a cheat to make another profession just for that weapon.

Is making alt for weapons that your main character just cant equip “feels like a cheat” too?

If someone only has a main and has no interest in playing other characters, wants to do weapon kills for that profession only and finds it close to impossible to do yet knows its extremely easy to do on another profession, then yeah, it may feel like its cheating a bit to make an alt just for that.

By the way, you deleted out the part where I said I have one of each profession so I can switch easy. My remarks are only for someone with only one character.

When you quote someone, do the whole quote. Don’t edit out relevant information.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Sylv.5324

Pro tip: Don’t do scepter master with a mesmer then. Try a Guardian, Elementalist or Necro.

Enjoy.

I’ll need to buy character slots, blarg. I have no high-level alts of most professions and RL money for slots is tight right now.

Opening with 3 helps but the CD is too long IMO.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

False.

Interesting, I could have sworn I tested it and Locust Swarm’s kills didn’t count towards Weapon Master.

Still the worse weapon master to level.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

False.

Have you done this? Because if it’s true, then wow, you’d end up making a lot of ’chievo hunters really happy.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I kinda like scepter with a mesmer (though I seem to be the only one).

Gear is mostly rabid or equivalent (presicion – toughness – condition damage), traited for illusions to inflict bleeding on crit (dueling 15), and when they die (not shatter), they inflict confusion (dueling 25), cripple (domination V) and a random condition (Chaos V).

So, in general, my strategy is to open with phantasmal duelist and mirror images, preferably near the enemies and dodge backwards, wich creates a new clone, killing one and applying cripple, confusion and a random condition, from then on I just spam the scepter 1 while moving around the enemies, anytime the scepter creates a new clone it kills another one so most enemies remain crippled during most of the fight (scepter takes 2 seconds to do the 3 attacks, when clones die they cripple for 3 seconds) while they’re constantly under 10+ stacks of bleeding or 20+ if they live long enough for me to pull out a second duelist (50+% crit chance means clones apply bleeding every other attack, plus the duelist does 8 attacks every 6 seconds with 70+ crit chance, which applies 6 or 7 bleed stacks by itself). Most enemies seem to go for the clones instead of me or the duelists, but they’re replaced by scepter before they die unless it’s big AoE attacks, but if they go to me I try to hit 2 right before they hit me so they get torment (torment + bleeding kills them FAST). It works too with groups, though I have to stay on the move (helps that the cripple affects nearby enemies), but usually with larger groups I swap to GS from time to time to cast a phantamsal berserker.

At least when it comes to veterans they die MUCH faster than with my power-prec-toughness greatsword guardian and I’ve been able to solo champions from time to time, but the drawback is on dungeons if a second bleeding profession is on the party or in open world boss fights where bleeding is constantly capped, usually in those fights I switch to staff.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Sylv.5324

Yeah. Because I stack power, it’s a lot less effective. XD

I -really- hope we’ll get build switching (like in GW1) soon, it would make things easier to be able to shuffle traits and then armor.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I kinda like scepter with a mesmer (though I seem to be the only one)..

Nope, I kind of like it too. It’s isn’t optimal but I refuse to use a greatsword because I can’t stand that sound it makes non-stop. Scepter 3 makes the sound as well but because of the cool down it isn’t constant. I use s/s/scepter/p. I have found with timing weapon swapping it can be pretty effective in many cases. You are not going to plow through mobs with that set but with swapping and dodging it can make for a good fight with the tougher mobs.

The Burninator

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

try do it with a focus my dear mesmer… i gave up completely and i’m doing my focus kills with a necro…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Easy as hell, in fact I did 500 kills yesterday in 1 hour.

And could you please stop calling “achievements” cheevos, this is not xbox live.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Ok, i think to make everyone happy, why doesnt anet just make it that while dial wielding, kills count for BOTH weapons.

Sylv.5324

That wouldn’t be bad at all.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

JustTrogdor.7892

Due to the new achievement rewards system I imagine there will be more threads like this. I’m not saying the OP doesn’t just want the achievement for the sake of doing it but I imagine many are more interested in them now because of the rewards. I know I am.

The Burninator

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

Best way to do all the weapon achieves

Godlost swamp……..never ending frogs

Astral Projections.7320

I have a feeling me and my shield are going to be kissing a bunch of frogs. :/

JustTrogdor.7892

There is a place in the Norn area, can’t recall just where, that there are never ending ambient ravens. It is by a skill point I think. It is a circular area and you can literally run the circle killing them and by the time you do a full lap they respawn. There are also no aggressive mobs or non-ambients to accidentally tag

The Burninator

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

I have a feeling me and my shield are going to be kissing a bunch of frogs. :/

Go to the shack next to the vista, good spot

This is what cheevos all about!!!

Sylv.5324

I finished staff that way, yeah.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Sylv.5324

There is a place in the Norn area, can’t recall just where, that there are never ending ambient ravens. It is by a skill point I think. It is a circular area and you can literally run the circle killing them and by the time you do a full lap they respawn. There are also no aggressive mobs or non-ambients to accidentally tag

That is also a good one.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

JustTrogdor.7892

That is also a good one.

After a long day of getting killed by anything and everything sometimes I take my engineer there for a little fun with flamethrowers.

The Burninator

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I’ll betcha a copper that Anet removes ambients as counting towards achievements. Get ’em done while you can.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

the fractal cliffside killing with the cursed hammer counts toward hammer master achievement…
i know because i never used an hammer but i have more kills with that that with my focus…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

I do understand your suffering. I have 8 kills with shield for the achievement. I guess that won’t be done any time soon.

PS: I play the game over 6 months. (My main is Guardian and I use shield a lot) LOL

Sorry for my english.

(edited by Mikau.6920)

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I apologise for sounding negative, but: this was the most aggravating cheevo ever. As a mainhand weapon, this thing is slow, there is even a pause before the clone is generated, and is lacking in every way in comparison to the sword, staff, GS etc.

I love this game, but working with this weapon makes me hate it more every time I try. It is extremely clunky and inefficient and its slowness means I can generate clones far faster with other weapons, utilities, or even just dodging.

I realise folks have a lot on their plate, so I don’t expect an immediate fix (obviously folks would not over one complaint anyway), but I probably will never use this weapon again once I’m done the achievement, just because every other weapon does things better and faster.

More aggravating that Giant Slayer? I’m at 7/1000 on that particular achievement.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Hear our pain, ANet! <3

You want pain, how about trying to get Giant Slayer before even our youngest players start going grey.

Sidenote: back on topic for a bit, while we’re talking about weapon master achieves, I’d like for ANet to tell me how on earth I pulled off Sword Master on my elementailst (screenie attached). My ele can only conjure a GS at best which doesn’t fit the category, and none of my alt’s which can use swords have even been played yet.

Attachments:

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Grogba.6204

Grogba.6204

Silently sneaks into the thread

coughs

Vigil, lvl 48 Story Instance

“Forewarned is Forearmed”

Rats

Thank me later

realloc.5846

Have you done this? Because if it’s true, then wow, you’d end up making a lot of ’chievo hunters really happy.

It’s how i did it.

Necro for warhorn, ranger for torch, ele for focus and guardian for shield.

Idea Incubation Lab in Rata Sum with 6 ambient bugs spawn every 25 sec and mentioned above LA sewers Vigil story instance are the best places to do it.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Note that with 6 ambients every 25 seconds it will take you about 6 hours to complete any achievement.

5000 kills / (6 ambients per 25 seconds) / (60 seconds per minute) / (60 minutes per hour)
5000 / (6 / 25) / 60 / 60 = 5.78703704 hours.