School Uniform

School Uniform

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

So I just found out this used to exist in the game files…

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/School_Uniform

I want this outfit. Please Anet make it a thing? I’ll pay all the gems.

Reasons to add this to the gem store:

1. It’s already a finished art asset (or 99% finished)
  2. You sell other cute things (bunny ears, cat ears, fuzzy hats, etc). Clearly there is a market for cute items.
  3. An artist spent lots of time making this outfit look nice on 5 different races. It would be a shame to throw it away.
  4. By not adding it to the game you are basically throwing away tons of potential revenue that could be easily gained.

(edited by Xenon.4537)

School Uniform

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I don’t think it’ll ever be released. It was found years ago, and many of us have begged for it since then. No dice.

School Uniform

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Just like the paper bag helms.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

I want this more than the new legendary armor… how sad is that?

School Uniform

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I don’t even care about the Legendary Armor, so it’s not sad at all.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

School Uniform

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

Please tell me more.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

An artist spent a lot of time making this outfit look nice on 5 different races… and it’s never going into the game…

Seriously Anet? Don’t you want money? Drop this in the gem store for 800 gems. It’s already made for frakks sake.

It’s like Anet is just throwing away free money at this point. Meanwhile they spend untold money making legendary armor that half the community hates. Anet why do you do this to yourselves?

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

Please tell me more.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Paper-Bag_Helm_4-Pack

It was confirmed to be just a joke they never intended to release to the public, but it’s just another example of free money Anet are throwing away.

School Uniform

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

So I just found out this used to exist in the game files…

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/School_Uniform

I want this outfit. Please Anet make it a thing? I’ll pay all the gems.

Its not a trenchcoat or a buttcape. I’d forget about it if i was you.

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

School Uniform

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Please tell me more.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Paper-Bag_Helm_4-Pack

I wish they’d been released back in the early days when we didn’t have the Total Makeover Kit and people kept begging for a fix to ugly characters.

Sadly like the school uniform we only know it exists because of datamining (extracting unused files from the game) and was scrapped before it was actually released. That happens a lot in any kind of creative process, it’s annoying (especially if you’re the one who has a cool idea you can’t quite get to work), but it’s probably inevitable too.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

Does anyone honestly believe that if the school uniform and paper bags were put on the gem store right now for 400 gems a piece… Do you really think Anet wouldn’t make a giant pile of money instantly? Of course they would. People would buy that up so fast I can’t even. People buy the bunny ears and cat ears, but they wouldn’t buy this? Are you kidding me?

School Uniform

Posted by: Kyvrn.4209

Kyvrn.4209

Scrap legendary armor and release this instead!

Kyvrn | Dom Chrono | Leader of Twinrovas [ROVA]

School Uniform

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

Inb4 this game becomes Tera

Multiple Class Disorder

School Uniform

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The school uniform was datamined around the same time the sclerite stuff came out. They knew what they were doing.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

Can you guys give a reason other than you don’t like the school uniform? Should this game center around not adding anything you personally dislike? Is everyone else not allowed to have things they like that don’t affect you at all?

School Uniform

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can’t be sure the Devs still have the assets. They could have been lost, just like those weapons seen pre-HoT release.

Not to mention the fact that many Town Clothes did not become Outfits, nor even Tonics.

Good luck.

School Uniform

Posted by: mpif.8504

mpif.8504

They have more data, maybe if they put to sale the school uniform everyone would buy it, and use it.

If a guy is presented several option of equivalent (or similar) quality he will hesitate and in the end buy several of them. However as this outfit is far superior most people would only buy this one and never buy anything else. In the end it will be less (total) sale.

School Uniform

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Surprised this thread lasted this long. I made a thread about the paper bag helms a while ago and I got a infraction and the thread deleted.

It sucks that they don’t use this stuff, like some one else said they’re throwing away profits.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

School Uniform

Posted by: tinymurder.5791

tinymurder.5791

At this point, I think the biggest holdup is that it was designed for the old town clothes system. They’d have to redesign the items as a set of skins, an outfit, or a tonic. Tonic would probably be easiest, but least liked. A set of skins or an outfit would be more popular but more complicated, due to the need for color channels.

It’s probably on someone’s to do list, but with a low priority. I hope they get around to it sooner or later. I’d buy it.

School Uniform

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

At this point, I think the biggest holdup is that it was designed for the old town clothes system. They’d have to redesign the items as a set of skins, an outfit, or a tonic. Tonic would probably be easiest, but least liked. A set of skins or an outfit would be more popular but more complicated, due to the need for color channels.

It’s probably on someone’s to do list, but with a low priority. I hope they get around to it sooner or later. I’d buy it.

An outfit would be pretty easy. I mean that’s why they switched from making armour to outfits in the first place. Ease of creation.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

School Uniform

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

This reminds me of a wish I had once upon a time. They have all these old ‘single piece’ mix-n-match town clothing pieces laying around. I’d pay $50 to have a custom made outfit made from old mix-n-match pieces. In my case, I only need 3 pieces for each costume I’d like made (tunic, pants, shoes).

I have two outfits that I can think of. I’d like the original town clothes as a real outfit, not a tonic. I have an old mix-n-match I was really fond of. Depending on what that School Uniform looks like, I might want that as well.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

Surprised this thread lasted this long. I made a thread about the paper bag helms a while ago and I got a infraction and the thread deleted.

It sucks that they don’t use this stuff, like some one else said they’re throwing away profits.

That’s been my most practical point. It’s a finished art asset (model, texture, etc) but they are just throwing it away by not putting it in the gem store. I would buy this as an outfit for 800 gems no question, and I know a lot of people I’ve asked in game the last few days agree with me.

School Uniform

Posted by: RandomWolf.3986

RandomWolf.3986

It’s not going to happen’.

Just like countless other promises.

Just get over it and spend your energy elsewhere.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

At this point, I think the biggest holdup is that it was designed for the old town clothes system. They’d have to redesign the items

A lot of people keep saying this, but I need to point out that it is not true at all.

I understand there is a small issue of changing the item from town clothes into an armor skin (or outfit) but that has NOTHING to do with redesigning anything. They don’t have to remake the polygon geometry. They don’t have to repaint any textures. Those assets are finished and exist as separate files (I know how 3D modeling works, I do it for a living). The only thing they have to do is change the item type from town clothes into something else which is practically no effort.

And to other people who keep saying the models got “lost” are you kidding? I mean maybe… but that would be the most incredibly negligent thing ever. This is a big game studio with now over 400 devs. They don’t just save files on a thumb drive and “lose” it somewhere. They have people paid and working at Anet whose ENTIRE JOB is to keep track of files, saving files, backing up files, and securing files. They have special software designed specifically for helping all of the different departments keep their files organized and backed up. If someone just magically lost an entire armor skin like that… Let’s just say in any other industry that person would be fired. I don’t think that’s the case here.

I know I’m like really overly passionate about this topic… It’s kind of been the last straw for me. First the paper bags, then the school uniform among other items… And to top it off the legendary armor they worked so hard on is not that well received… Anet’s priorities really confuse and frustrate me.

(edited by Xenon.4537)

School Uniform

Inculpatus cedo.9234

And yet, they have lost the files for the weapons previewed for Heart of Thorns.

These were never promised, as some claim; data-mined items aren’t things that are assured to be incorporated into the game.

I guess the Devs were confused when they told us, long ago, it was not a ‘small issue’ to change Town Clothes into Armor or even Outfits. Who knew? /shrug

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

And yet, they have lost the files for the weapons previewed for Heart of Thorns.

These were never promised, as some claim; data-mined items aren’t things that are assured to be incorporated into the game.

I guess the Devs were confused when they told us, long ago, it was not a ‘small issue’ to change Town Clothes into Armor or even Outfits. Who knew? /shrug

Do you have any sources? How do we know they lost those weapon skins?

I know that datamined stuff is not promised to go into the game. That’s why I made a thread asking them to change their minds.

And yes I would say they must have been confused… or maybe we were confused. I’ll wager what they were referring to as “not a small issue” is the prospect of how do you actually obtain the items? Town clothes already existed in the game and people had access to them. They probably thought they would have to create a collection or quest or something which is a lot more work. All I’m asking for is put it in the gem store.

School Uniform

Posted by: Brigantia.5746

Brigantia.5746

ME TOO! It would make my in game experience feel complete <3

School Uniform

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Do you have any sources? How do we know they lost those weapon skins?

I know that datamined stuff is not promised to go into the game. That’s why I made a thread asking them to change their minds.

And yes I would say they must have been confused… or maybe we were confused. I’ll wager what they were referring to as “not a small issue” is the prospect of how do you actually obtain the items? Town clothes already existed in the game and people had access to them. They probably thought they would have to create a collection or quest or something which is a lot more work. All I’m asking for is put it in the gem store.

I do: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4fjrxt/we_are_the_gw2_dev_team_here_to_chat_with_you/d2akjpp/

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feedback-Questions-Town-clothes-Costumes-Combat/page/18#post3823361

Simple Google search.

Good luck.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

“Ok, so it looks like those weapon skins were originally created to be paired up with some of the armors for skill videos and the Beta experience. Then they apparently got lost in the mists between teams and never got hooked up, or were hooked up incorrectly so players never saw them again… Or at least until my team gets their hands on them!”

> Or at least until my team gets their hands on them

Why would he say that if they were lost? Keep in mind we can still preview those skins in-game indicating they were not actually lost at all. How can we preview skins that don’t exist?

The answer is they didn’t get deleted. The skins are right there in the game files. What he means by “lost” is Anet’s priorities shifted away from working on them.

There is nothing in that post that contradicts what I am saying… Curtis is talking about the problem of having different pieces of town clothing (chest, legs, feet) mix and match with armor and dye channels. This problem was solved with the outfit system which is why you have to wear an entire outfit and not just different pieces of it.

What I am proposing is they take the school uniform model and change it from being a [town clothes slot item] into an [outfit slot item]. To illustrate what I mean please refer to my crude diagram… Geometry and texture files exist as separate files which could be applied any which way you want. It’s a matter of pipeline connections. They don’t have to remake anything.

Attachments:

School Uniform

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m sure the Devs appreciate you solving the issue. Hopefully, all those old Town Clothes and data-mined items will be available soon.

Good luck.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

I’m sure the Devs appreciate you solving the issue. Hopefully, all those old Town Clothes and data-mined items will be available soon.

Good luck.

Thanks for the wish of good luck, you are so very helpful!

School Uniform

Posted by: Knuckle Joe.7408

Knuckle Joe.7408

inb4 “omgggGg stop SexuaLizing female CharSssss and asuraS they don’t Need a SkiRttt sexisTS!”

But on a serious note, I’d really like that, its so different from everything that’s in the game right now. (Buttcapes).

DO FAST HANDS BASELINE

School Uniform

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

I refuse to spend money on this game.
However, if the school uniform were released I would buy it in a heartbeat for RP purposes (not ERP).

School Uniform

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

They could throw in some random glider/backpiece and sell it exklusivly with that pack for ~2k gems. I’m sure they’d make good money with that.

School Uniform

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I don’t think we would have gotten it even if it was released. This was most likely designed for their release on the Asian market, and, I’d wager, at the request of NCSoft in Korea.

Then I guess they didn’t find it very lore-friendly to see a bunch of females dressed up like school girls walking around to fight Zaithan and decided to never release it. Obviously this is all speculation.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

I don’t think we would have gotten it even if it was released. This was most likely designed for their release on the Asian market, and, I’d wager, at the request of NCSoft in Korea.

Then I guess they didn’t find it very lore-friendly to see a bunch of females dressed up like school girls walking around to fight Zaithan and decided to never release it. Obviously this is all speculation.

I understand what you mean, but I respectfully counter with this list of cute/asian themed items they have released:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bunny_Ears
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Furrocious_Cat_Ears
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Mask_Skin
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lion_Mask_Skin
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ancestral_Outfit
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Imperial_Outfit
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fuzzy_Panda_Hat
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fuzzy_Quaggan_Hat
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Butterfly_Wings_Backpack_
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glittering_Wings_Backpack_
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fuzzy_Quaggan_Hat_with_Bow

What I’m getting at is if all of the above items are acceptable, why not the school uniform? Surely it’s not that outlandish compared to those? I mean seriously you say it’s okay for a charr wearing a quaggan hat with butterfly wings and a pink wedding dress running around fighting Zhaitan. That’s perfectly normal, but a schoolgirl is going to break your immersion? Lol.

School Uniform

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

This was most likely designed for their release on the Asian market, and, I’d wager, at the request of NCSoft in Korea.

SAB’s Back to School event came out a few months later, so it was likely created for that.

School Uniform

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

[…]

What I’m getting at is if all of the above items are acceptable, why not the school uniform? Surely it’s not that outlandish compared to those? I mean seriously you say it’s okay for a charr wearing a quaggan hat with butterfly wings and a pink wedding dress running around fighting Zhaitan. That’s perfectly normal, but a schoolgirl is going to break your immersion? Lol.

I don’t dare spell it out, because my reply might get deleted again as an “infraction to the forum rules”, so I will phrase it carefully: You might be aware of the fact that school girl uniforms is also associated with and could attract a certain clientele that is particularly interested in the “girl” part of the term? I think you catch my draft. Maybe that is why they wouldn’t want to risk it (a decision I would understand and agree with).

Although I have to say that, as a woman, I am not happy with certain other armor skins for female characters either — if there was true equality then were are the (supposedly) sexy male armor counterparts? Or game developers could just refrain from showing that much skin? Just a thought.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

[…]

I don’t dare spelling it out, because my reply might get deleted again as an “infraction to the forum rules”, so I will phrase it carefully: You might be aware of the fact that school girl uniforms could attract a certain clientele who is particularly interested in the “girl” part of the term? I think you catch my draft. Maybe that is why they wouldn’t want to risk it (and I agree).

Although I have to say that, as a woman, I am not happy with certain other armor skins for female characters either — if there was true equality then were are the (supposedly) sexy male armor counterparts? Or game developers could just refrain from showing that much skin? Just a thought.

What you are getting at if I infer correctly is you think the school uniform is too provocative and inappropriate, to which I simply disagree. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. What you find sexy (or too sexy) is going to be completely different from anyone else on the planet. If Anet agrees with you that’s fine. But then why did they release the other armors you are referring to? There are far more revealing clothes in the game. That can’t be the reason Anet didn’t release it.

At the end of the day games are about having fun. No one is going to force you to wear the school uniform. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. If wearing this outfit would increase my enjoyment of the game, why shouldn’t I? How does my appearance affect you?

School Uniform

Ashantara.8731

[…]

I don’t dare spelling it out, because my reply might get deleted again as an “infraction to the forum rules”, so I will phrase it carefully: You might be aware of the fact that school girl uniforms could attract a certain clientele who is particularly interested in the “girl” part of the term? I think you catch my draft. Maybe that is why they wouldn’t want to risk it (and I agree).

What you are getting at if I infer correctly is you think the school uniform is too provocative and inappropriate, to which I simply disagree. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. What you find sexy (or too sexy) is going to be completely different from anyone else on the planet. If Anet agrees with you that’s fine. But then why did they release the other armors you are referring to? There are far more revealing clothes in the game. That can’t be the reason Anet didn’t release it.

At the end of the day games are about having fun. No one is going to force you to wear the school uniform. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. If wearing this outfit would increase my enjoyment of the game, why shouldn’t I? How does my appearance affect you?

There is a difference between “mature sexy” and “Lolita sexy”, no? The latter is inappropriate, the former is a matter of taste (although I see way too many male players, many of them adolescents, picking female characters because of the “sexy” factor).

As for your question how your appearance affects me: as a woman I feel offended when I see the way female characters’ looks are objectifying women in a certain way. That is why most of my characters are male, and I still have to put up with a deep cleavage even on my “more properly” dressed female characters.

But back to the topic: I, personally, wouldn’t mind school uniforms if they made sense in the game and were somehow connected to some of its content. Needless to say that I am not a fan of the cat ears and such.

School Uniform

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

if there was true equality then were are the (supposedly) sexy male armor counterparts?

Light armour:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Feathered_armor_human_male_front.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Tribal_armor_human_male_front.jpg

Heavy armour:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Pit_Fighter_armor_human_male_front.jpg
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Scallywag_armor_human_male_front.jpg

I mean these aren’t perfect answers, and there’s certainly a heavy reliance on showing skin for female armour as a whole as opposed to these four limited options for males. I do agree that the amount of skin/armour ratio for female characters is ridiculous and certainly needs to be improved on almost every armour set, but I felt it worth mentioning that there are some extremely limited examples.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

I feel offended when I see the way female characters’ looks are objectifying women in a certain way.

That’s certainly your right. Personally I feel offended by the way some male characters are treated, and I feel offended by the limitation of expression on grounds of offense. So now what? Should we just not have anything in the game because people are offended by all kinds of different things?

By the way I just don’t agree with your “lolita” insinuation. You do realize girls over the age of 18 willingly wear plaid skirts because they like to? You realize school uniforms are actually worn… in schools? Not just in porn? I think it’s an unfair leap to jump to the conclusion that the only thing this armor skin represents is underage sex. Nevermind the fact you can’t actually make child characters in this game. You could argue Asura are “child-like” but then you might as well delete the entire race because you can unequip their armor and run around in your underpants… Keep in mind Asura players are not technically children. They are grown adults. Their race is just short with big ears and a mouth full of shark teeth.

I think the only part of your argument that has any merit is the lore aspect of fitting it into the game world, and I’m willing to give you that one.

School Uniform

Posted by: tinymurder.5791

tinymurder.5791

An outfit would be pretty easy. I mean that’s why they switched from making armour to outfits in the first place. Ease of creation.

I agree that an outfit would be fairly easy. Maybe not as simple as making a tonic, but still not as difficult as making a new armor set.

School Uniform

Posted by: Mithos.9023

Mithos.9023

I just looked it up on the wiki. This would be an amazing outfit. I hope we see this some day.

We need build and gear-templates!!!!!!!!!!

School Uniform

Ashantara.8731

By the way I just don’t agree with your “lolita” insinuation. You do realize girls over the age of 18 willingly wear plaid skirts because they like to? You realize school uniforms are actually worn… in schools? Not just in porn?

Yes, I do. I did not say that it was my opinion that school uniforms were equal to “porn”, I just speculated about the reason why they were not implemented into the game. That’s all. I did not say I was offended by school uniforms (by the way, real school uniforms don’t have super short skirts, so…), the statement of offense I made was regarding many of the female armors as compared to the male ones and had nothing to do with the school uniforms. Next time please read more carefully, thank you.

P.S. I agree with you on the “child-like” Asura. The reason I picked a male one in the case of the Asura was that I find the female ones don’t look appealing at all, very childish indeed (with the extremely big eyes and small mouths), and in many cases even more like scary child puppets (Chucky anyone?).

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

School Uniform

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

This would have been my forever choice of outfit for my character forever if this was released but sadly looks like it will never arrive.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

This would have been my forever choice of outfit for my character forever if this was released but sadly looks like it will never arrive.

I have actually poked a couple people I know with connections to Anet. They said they would mention it to the devs. That and this thread has been on the front page for a few days now. It’s possible Anet is aware that at least… 4 or 5 people in this thread want the outfit? So you never know!

I used to be skeptical that Fromsoft would never add the red plume to Ornstein’s armor in Dark Souls 3, but someone started a petition and Fromsoft obliged in spite of my skepticism. I dunno if Anet will be cool like Fromsoft, but I want to try.

School Uniform

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I hope they don’t add this ever. In fact they should remove the whole thing from the game files to make these threads appear less frequently.

Whole schoolgirl fetish is kinda disturbing and in my opinion does not have a place in this game. Asian games are more suitable for that kind of stuff. It’s more tolerated in those.

Maybe try suggesting some other type of children’s clothes that don’t have the same “bad reputation” as this if you want to dress your characters as kids. Never seen that suggestion before so it would be fresh too.

School Uniform

Xenon.4537

So reasons NOT to add it to the game:

1. I don’t like it so no one can have it!

Really…?

2. It’s too asian!

Europe and America have had this uniform too…

3. It’s perverted! Fetish! Child sexualization!

Seriously? Is this Massachusetts in the 1600s? If the skirt was longer would that make it okay? Why the hyperbole? Honestly this outfit isn’t even remotely as revealing as stuff that is already in the game. I think you are overreacting.

(edited by Xenon.4537)

School Uniform

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

I hope they don’t add this ever. In fact they should remove the whole thing from the game files to make these threads appear less frequently.

Whole schoolgirl fetish is kinda disturbing and in my opinion does not have a place in this game. Asian games are more suitable for that kind of stuff. It’s more tolerated in those.

Maybe try suggesting some other type of children’s clothes that don’t have the same “bad reputation” as this if you want to dress your characters as kids. Never seen that suggestion before so it would be fresh too.

Just a lil fyi, Guild Wars/2 by Anet is a subsidiary of NCSoft based in (south korea). Which would make this game and its predecessor GW, partially asian in origin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCsoft

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?