Scrap TP and let us set up Trading Stalls

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

Like the old MMOs, where they allow players to set up stall by having an interactable pop-up chat box where I can type for example:

" Selling T6 Mats here "

And the chat box will remain there while I afk so it acts as my trading stall to sell stuff. Players can click my chat box to access a storage trading window where I would have left my stuff to sell with their corresponding prices.

This makes the game more interactive where players really have to run around checking out various stalls to buy the stuff they want.

Also, it makes getting certain items harder and forces players to explore the world to farm their own mats and items.

Trading Post makes things too centralized and easy to obtain. It kills the spirit of MMO world exploration and interaction.

While we are at this, scrap “search for party” functions too. This again centralizes everything and reduces the flavor or world immersion.

Using the same function as above, allow us to set up chat boxes where we can type:

" Join this party to do Tequalt " etc.

This really opens up the game to more immersion and is what MMOs should be like.

So many games are adopting the “convenience” route of having centralized TP and centralized everything that it kills the flavor of MMOs.

that’s where alternate Free accounts can help actually.
The free account sets up stall and afks.
The main account gets to go shopping looking at each store and what is on offer while finding the best price.

Shopping guys!
Real shopping!
Window shopping.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

(edited by EremiteAngel.9765)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think this would make the game less interesting and more tedious.

• How does “remain there while I afk” … “makes the game interactive” ?
  • The TP means a centralized marketplace, so that everyone is always getting “market price” for their goods. Without it, savvy traders will always profit off those who don’t take the time to keep track of going rates.

The TP makes things easier for those who want it easier. Others are still free to farm their own goods.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am unclear as to what the difference is between ‘Join this party to…’ and ‘search for party/LFG’.

I prefer the Trading Post to Spamadam.

Good luck.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

No. I was traumatized in gw1. No one ever wanted my stuff. /sob.

A most tedious, boring waste of “play” time that I never want to experience again.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

The main account gets to go shopping looking at each store and what is on offer while finding the best price.

Shopping guys!
Real shopping!

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Idk i like not runningnaround the place lloking for that one item that 1 guy sells for the price i want. Having it all in one place and all the sellers in one list feels just that much better. To me at least

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Shopping guys!
Real shopping!

the idea is that free acounts are not allowed to trade if they were to be able to why bother buying the game?

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

no that will only drive players away from the game and trading post all together . while current tp is ok ., it does need to changed up and far more better organized fully!! some of a combo deal could work but more like wows AH . set up where it has full lists of things like ore food cooking and so forth all together tonics for raids and buffs and professions all together . armor and weapons by themselves . and put tools in there own slots as well as skins and just do not put crafting stuff together in one bag . list them by class and so forth same for runes and armor parts for crafting put them all together in one slot only . in some small way right now the current tp is like wows AH . but it does need more improvements. but the way you’re suggesting it will not work at all . you find more people putting WTS in chats then they will use the set up your suggesting

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

Like the old MMOs […] makes getting certain items harder and forces players to explore the world to farm their own mats and items.

Trading Post makes things too centralized and easy to obtain. It kills the spirit of MMO world exploration and interaction.

This is some old school thinking. That kind of run-around time sink sounds horrible and tedious. I like centralized and easy to use. I can also still explore the world and interact with others. The first does not negate the second. Also, the current system cuts down on bots which is always a good thing, IMO.

While we are at this, scrap “search for party” functions too. […] So many games are adopting the “convenience” route of having centralized TP and centralized everything that it kills the flavor of MMOs.

I’ve heard a lot of ‘bring back the old days of real MMOs’ reminiscences before. GW2 is not that game. Frankly, if that’s the kind of experience you’re after, you can still go play Runescape or Ultima Online. There are even new games on the horizon like Camelot Unchained that may be more to your liking.

Cheers and good luck.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

My memories of standing around in Kamadan for lengthy periods of time trying to buy or sell something are not really good memories. The trading post is a good thing.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Shopping guys!
Real shopping!

Except…..

Free accounts can’t send the gold or items earned back to your main account. What’s in the free account stays in the free account. They also have severely limited trading so good luck on getting your gold by that way. (And no, ANet’s not going to loosen up gold transfers or trade for free accounts as that opens up all sort of goldselling and botting problems).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

That…sounds pretty awful, at least to me. I prefer the current method.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Oh by kitten, no. I’m generally not in favor of a myriad of convenience features, but the system the OP offers is a buzz kill. No, thanks.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Like the old MMOs, where they allow players to set up stall by having an interactable pop-up chat box where I can type for example:

" Selling T6 Mats here "

And the chat box will remain there while I afk so it acts as my trading stall to sell stuff. Players can click my chat box to access a storage trading window where I would have left my stuff to sell with their corresponding prices.

This makes the game more interactive where players really have to run around checking out various stalls to buy the stuff they want.

Also, it makes getting certain items harder and forces players to explore the world to farm their own mats and items.

While we are at this, scrap “search for party” functions too. This again centralizes everything and reduces the flavor or world immersion.

Using the same function as above, allow us to set up chat boxes where we can type:

" Join this party to do Tequalt " etc.

This really opens up the game to more immersion and is what MMOs should be like.

So many games are adopting the “convenience” route of having centralized TP and centralized everything that it kills the flavor of MMOs.

Shopping guys!
Real shopping!
Window shopping.

I would like to suggest that you think your ideas through much more, instead of posting on a whim… This idea is not going to happen, and you know that it’s not going to happen. The entire system of trade and economy “stuff” are set in stone, and they work really well.

Also, free accounts have limitations for a reason, and we don’t need to encourage plagues of gold sellers in this game.

Again, please think your ideas through more carefully.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

Why would anyone scrap the TP where you can’t get scammed and don’t have to wait forever for an older, slower and thus disliked method?
Spamming a chat or running around a map to get a single item we aren’t gauranteed to find all day is NOT more fun or interactive than pressing two buttons on the TP to put some gold you got from effort you may have even had fun with to good use; which even helps out the other player because they can use said gold to get what they want faster.
This is like suggesting we stop building houses and go live in caves because thats what life should be like.

LFG is just an improved version of “join this party for X” where we have tabs. It’s the same thing but you want chat boxes so it’s harder to navigate??

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

(edited by Kumouta.4985)

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Guild Wars 2’s Trading Post and Runescape’s Grand Exchange were/are the best tools for the player-driven economy ever. Let’s not take those away

ESO has the community try to fix the lack of such a feature with “Merchant Guilds” that serve the same purpose, just over a much smaller playerbase.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I remember in Aion I would setup my trade window like 5sec walk from the Auction House and sell Aether Potion things for 3x the price. Would come home from work cleaned out.

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

I remember in Aion I would setup my trade window like 5sec walk from the Auction House and sell Aether Potion things for 3x the price. Would come home from work cleaned out.

I remember wandering around & seeing the gold sellers with their little signs out. It was a true wth moment followed by wishing Aion had a version of GW1’s Dhuum.

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Real immersion would be, if you stop playing video games and be a hero in real life.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

The Black Lion Trading Company is one of the best features of the game, even most game reviewers recognize it as one of the best market systems in all of the MMO field. I see 0 reason to throw that away. If you want more immersion, go play an RPG instead of an MMO.

PS. I realize this is 50% joke, 50% wishful thinking but honestly, those things are sometimes better left out of public places.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

(edited by Yannir.4132)

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

New Item – Trading Stall: 5,000 Gems for 24 hour stall in market.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

So, basically, you want to make it harder for buyers and most sellers in order to decrease competition for the current TP barons? Or to make it easier for some sellers to scam the buyers?

No, thank you. I’ll pass.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Definitely.
Who wants to spend their game time in fractals or PvP etc,when we can go shopping and looking for materials instead.
With the amount of mats in game ,and the required quantities,materials shopping would indeed be a peach,and a banana if I may add.
Down with QoL features for menial activities,like buying mats.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Yea, I mean who wants to be able to just instantly buy and sell or place orders for any item they want at any time, anywhere. Having to port to some designated market area and run around looking at all the shops or set up my own to buy/sell whatever I want sounds so much more convenient.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

There is a relationship between convenience and immersion. And I don’t just mean “immersion” in the RP sense, but also the relationships that form by necessity in a system that lacks some of the convenience options that have become standard in the MMO universe.

For instance, in the early days of WoW they didn’t have an easy system for quickly forming groups and entering dungeons. Instead, you had to form the group the hard way and get everyone physically to the instance entrance (made even more interesting when the instance was in enemy territory!).

I’m not sure I would say WoW would be better off returning to such a system. It required far too much time and effort to run dungeons. But a side-effect of that system was that you tended to build a network of players in the process. The less we’re forced to rely on and interact with other players to achieve our goals, the less we build those networks, and the less immersive the game feels.

In any event, while I recognize what this suggestion is intended to do, I really don’t think it strikes a good balance. The benefits of immersion are minimal while the cost in convenience is huge.

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

There is a relationship between convenience and immersion. And I don’t just mean “immersion” in the RP sense, but also the relationships that form by necessity in a system that lacks some of the convenience options that have become standard in the MMO universe.

For instance, in the early days of WoW they didn’t have an easy system for quickly forming groups and entering dungeons. Instead, you had to form the group the hard way and get everyone physically to the instance entrance (made even more interesting when the instance was in enemy territory!).

I’m not sure I would say WoW would be better off returning to such a system. It required far too much time and effort to run dungeons. But a side-effect of that system was that you tended to build a network of players in the process. The less we’re forced to rely on and interact with other players to achieve our goals, the less we build those networks, and the less immersive the game feels.

In any event, while I recognize what this suggestion is intended to do, I really don’t think it strikes a good balance. The benefits of immersion are minimal while the cost in convenience is huge.

not sure what that has to do at all with AH/tp but i will say i do like the wow AH a whole lot more better with the fact that . i can sell stuff very easy but i can also put stuff up for people to bid on and the highest price takes it. got to admit i love that kind of gambling . and i do love how wows AH is set up and works . it be nice to see gw2 TP . a bit more like wow,s AH set up and who knows it might even just make gold flow free like turning on a water tap even maybe

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t get it … if you want the nostalgia of playing old, tired methods from decades old MMO’s … go play them. There is a reason things evolve and including things that are old ideas makes little sense.

The argument that it’s interactive doesn’t make much sense. I like interactive, but that’s not always a good thing. In this case, I don’t want to interact with a person to buy stuff. I see no advantage to that.

Posted by: Nebelparder.3751

Nebelparder.3751

@eremiteangle just no. not even worth the discussion.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

no. i want to play guild wars 2, not maplestory.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Real immersion would be, if you stop playing video games and be a hero in real life.

Sometimes I step into games like GW2 just to step back a little and take a break from being all heroic.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

No no no no no no no no no no no.

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

lol… literally worst idea ever! the TP streamlined the method of buying and selling items.
why on earth would we want to go a step backwards?

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Can’t tell if troll or serious… Anyway, I don’t want to leave my computer on all night just to sell my stuff and I don’t want to waste my playtime on sitting in a stall.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I think this is a great idea. Whilst we’re at it, we should also have the XP per mob divided between who helped to kill it, move our characters with point & click, and also instead of having Vistas, Waypoints, POIs, Renown Hearts and Hero Challenges determine map completion, the whole map should be pixelated and we don’t get 100% until every last pixel is discovered!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

One thing the OP has done with their idea is to get people who would otherwise disagree about what day of the week it is to agree on something.

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

Lets not and say we did. This idea is abysmal and I would quit immediately without hesitation.

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

personal shops are great in actual mmorpg, not in games based on rushing content and instant gratification like gw2

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This would be the end of me trading with other players, pretty much ever.

I also play Elder Scrolls Online which uses a similar system – if you want to sell anything you either stand around spamming chat and hope you happen to be in the same location as someone who wants to buy it at the same time, or you list it in a guild store (like the TP but exclusive to your guild and with a clunkier interface).

If you want to buy something you either stand around spamming chat or you have to trawl through various guild stalls, which can only be used by the richest guilds – meaning the ones who sell the most valuable stuff. Unfortunately that means they basically only sell high value items – lots of high level weapons, pretty much no crafting materials. If you want anything useful you’re right back to spamming chat.

Because it wastes so much time and I have a lot of better things to do with my time (like actually playing the game) I ‘get around it’ by not bothering. If I have anything to sell I sell it to an NPC, if I want to buy anything I buy from an NPC and if I can’t then I just don’t. It sucks but it’s all I can do because the few people who can use that system to corner the market by preventing their competitors from selling anywhere anyone will ever find them will also shout down anyone who dares to suggest it may be inconvenient.

But it certainly doesn’t promote interaction. Unless you count seeing “WTS Iron 5k” over and over and over in chat so no one can actually have a conversation in that channel as interaction.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: DocRimpel.5280

DocRimpel.5280

Sorry OP this is one of the worst ideas I’ve seen here.
There is not a single benefit to either a buyer or seller over the the current system.

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

Long answer..No. Short answer No.

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Really bad idea, I think.

Posted by: Akusokuzan.6790

Akusokuzan.6790

I would at least appreciate a secure simultaneous trading option. Besides that everything OP said is kinda crazy and pointless.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I would at least appreciate a secure simultaneous trading option. Besides that everything OP said is kinda crazy and pointless.

Well cant get more secure then the trading post mate.

ask the buyer to put in a buy order for the correct price and accept that buy order.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

1. You can’t AFK (legally) for more than an hour without getting booted to the character select screen

2. You have to park your character somewhere in order to sell your items.

3. Mega servers limit who sees your items as only those on your map instance can see you.

So no, this is a terrible idea.

Posted by: Akusokuzan.6790

Akusokuzan.6790

ask the buyer to put in a buy order for the correct price and accept that buy order.

I just mean even if you do something like that you have to still dig through the UI to do it plus since it’s open somebody else can either fill that order before your trade partner can put theirs through etc.
I wouldn’t even mind if it was something without gold input and rudimentary so people could at least trade mats between each other and whatnot. It would be easy to just use certain mats as a currency substitute and a lot already are like that.
I just dislike that if you go to do a mail transaction the other person can just be like “hah, nah, ty for your stuff >:P” when you get nothing in return. Yeah I know you can just say “well don’t trade with those people” but the point is you never know who those people are and stuff. Even if that isn’t the case somebody can promise to trade you after doing something then never answer back until a week later or something saying “it was an accident sorry.”
It isn’t much to ask for a simple scam proof private trading window is it?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you are trading with people you don’t trust, then why not use the Trading Post? No way to get scammed there which is one of the reasons for the Trading Post.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I just mean even if you do something like that you have to still dig through the UI to do it plus since it’s open somebody else can either fill that order before your trade partner can put theirs through etc.
I wouldn’t even mind if it was something without gold input and rudimentary so people could at least trade mats between each other and whatnot. It would be easy to just use certain mats as a currency substitute and a lot already are like that.
I just dislike that if you go to do a mail transaction the other person can just be like “hah, nah, ty for your stuff >:P” when you get nothing in return. Yeah I know you can just say “well don’t trade with those people” but the point is you never know who those people are and stuff. Even if that isn’t the case somebody can promise to trade you after doing something then never answer back until a week later or something saying “it was an accident sorry.”
It isn’t much to ask for a simple scam proof private trading window is it?

You can through guild bank.

Edit
Scam proof we already have trading post, you could trade in gw1 and even tho you had to accept twice people still got scamed by other ppl trading similarly iconed stuff that was wortless instead of the high price one they wanted.

(edited by Linken.6345)

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

i bet even if they add it so you could place a item on tp for bidding . say for 5 copper and let it go for 48 hours and at the end of time the highest bidder wins that item and the gold comes out of their banks . they still turn it down . and even if they put everything in to proper categories and so forth they turn that down as well too . i will admit that is one of the things wow got right with their AH/TP system . and the gold runs faster than water its self even

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That…sounds pretty awful, at least to me. I prefer the current method.

It is awful. It is also very ugly. The first game I encountered this was in Ragnarok Online. Merchants cluttering up the screen everywhere. Down the line on private servers they implemented a search feature. That only made it marginally better. They also put in rules to limit where you can put a shop(in addition to the general reduction from having a much smaller population) so the ugly clutter was improved slightly as well.

Then I ran into the same in Wakfu. Same ugliness but now with loading screen for every shop visited!

More recently it was Tree of Savior(same designer as RO and purposely made to be something like an unofficial sequel) still had that but more for services like providing buffs.

All the implementations have ever done is waste time and make the game world uglier.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I have to add my vote for “horrible ideas.” How is that even remotely fun?