Scythe, 6K gold

Scythe, 6K gold

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arnox.5128

Arnox.5128

I think the real problem here is that GW2 is normally not a grindy game at all really. Or at least compared to a lot of other MMOs. Thus, after playing this game for a while, it can get rather irksome to run up against some things which DO require a grind, one way or another.

BTW, I did the math and at current conversion rates (13.333333 gold to $1.00), that scythe (6,000 gold) would cost a straight $450.00. Whatever you think about supply and demand in GW2, that’s a lot of ####ing money for just one weapon skin.

ArenaNet, please give us more skills!

(edited by Arnox.5128)

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Taberis.8341

Taberis.8341

I think the real problem here is that GW2 is normally not a grindy game at all really. Or at least compared to a lot of other MMOs. Thus, after playing this game for a while, it can get rather irksome to run up against some things which DO require a grind, one way or another.

BTW, I did the math and at current conversion rates (13.333333 gold to $1.00), that scythe (6,000 gold) would cost a straight $450.00. Whatever you think about supply and demand in GW2, that’s a lot of ####ing money for just one weapon skin.

If you’re playing through the story then no you don’t have to grind. But as soon as you get into post game stuff, raids, high level fractals etc you’ll gonna have to grind to get ascended equipment, as they are account bound. This would involve grinding the crafting professions, materials and gold.

Then there is legendary equipment which is another can of worms which is in the thousands of gold each. Basically if you want something fancy/functional in post game, you gotta work for it.

Also you assume anyone (most people) would pay real money to get gold. The $$ to gems and then to gold, is rather poor when it comes to conversion rates. Most people would just grind for the gold and if they need something from the gem store then they can convert gold into gems.

Heck my guild master has 14 legendary weapons, and all are crafted himself.

(edited by Taberis.8341)

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Again, and again, this is not about uniquety or rarity of the specific skin, but about the fact that it’s the only normal scythe skin in game, and there’d be zero problem if there was an alternative. And although I played actively since beta there was never a surefire method to acquire this skin.

And the reason it bothers me it’s because I main a necromancer and is there anything more cruel than playing a necromancer when anet constantly swings a “ha ha, can’t have a scythe” sign in your face

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

but you can have a scythe. I think you have just chosen to live to construct a prison around yourself.

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

I actually think Final Rest looks just as good for a fraction of the price.

Attachments:

Scythe, 6K gold

Taberis.8341

Again, and again, this is not about uniquety or rarity of the specific skin, but about the fact that it’s the only normal scythe skin in game, and there’d be zero problem if there was an alternative. And although I played actively since beta there was never a surefire method to acquire this skin.

And the reason it bothers me it’s because I main a necromancer and is there anything more cruel than playing a necromancer when anet constantly swings a “ha ha, can’t have a scythe” sign in your face

Somehow I think you fail to seem to grasp the fact that there are no scythes in the game, it’s a staff skin that looks like a scythe, there are plenty of other staff skins. Also you say it’s not because it’s unique or rare, but that is exactly why it cost 6k on the tp. Just because you like the look of one staff skin and can’t be bothered to work for it, doesn’t mean that anet should bend over backwards for you.

Not to mention that you seem to miss out of a lot of info from other people, like the fact it was 8g at one point on the tp. So why didn’t you buy it back then if you’ve been playing since beta (or do the event at the time)? or the fact you can get it through guaranteed wardrobe or the mystic toilet.

I like the skin for bifrost and nevermore, am I expecting anet to make it easier for me to get? NOPE, because like that staff skin you want, I have to work for it. As Games of Bones pointed out if you can’t affort/don’t want to work for that skin, you can get the Final Rest for a fraction of the price.

When using a staff (any) on a necro, when you attack it makes it look like a scythe, or when you enter shroud as a reaper.

In sort, you missed out when it was easier to get therefore you have to work harder to get this staff skin. Don’t want to work for it, well tough cookies.

Side note: Haven’t you heard “there are no guarantees in life”

(edited by Taberis.8341)

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

I would recommend a little patience and give it some time. Anet has been willing to reintroduce skins when they become too rare. Take Fused skins they came back for a bit because there was soo little of them. Also there may be another scythe skin in future for the trading post.

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Again and again you fail to see that there are two versions of this skin, which look exactly the same, the scythe staff skin consumable from Halloween, which you keep rabbling about and the Scythe Staff Weapon, which is a rare drop from forging 4 rare staves and therefore still available in the game.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

This is part of some updates that I’ve been working on with the mystic forge, though we had not intended it to go out with last weeks build, as some parts of the change still need some work.

I didn’t put this in the update notes since it wasn’t meant to go live yet, but since it apparently went through, we added the Bloodbound weapons, Shadow of the Mad King weapons, and some weapons with no way to get them anymore like Scarlet’s Kiss to the mystic forge as possible rewards for combining rare weapons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4g3t53/so_i_found_this/d2grweu/

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Shadow_of_the_Mad_King_weapon_skins

/thread

Scythe, 6K gold

Taberis.8341

Again and again you fail to see that there are two versions of this skin, which look exactly the same, the scythe staff skin consumable from Halloween, which you keep rabbling about and the Scythe Staff Weapon, which is a rare drop from forging 4 rare staves and therefore still available in the game.

Slight correction here, there is one skin only. Kind of like how the low level weapons and armors tend to share the same skins. There are just multiple ways to go about unlocking this skin.

1) Mystic Toilet & TP: Scythe Staff Weapon and when bound to your account should unlock the scythe staff skin.

2) TP: Scythe staff skin consumable that will also unlock the scythe staff skin when used.

3) BLC: Using a guaranteed wardrobe unlock and getting lucky, which would unlock the scythe staff skin directly into your account.

But if op is unwilling to work for the skin, well no one is going to bend over backwards to help, no matter how much op seems to feel entitled to a staff skin that looks like a scythe.

(edited by Taberis.8341)

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Who says a necromancer has to have a scythe? You act like “this is a necromancer’s weapon and we don’t even have one commonly available!” But it ISN’T a necromancer’s weapon. There is no ACTUAL scythe (used as a scythe instead of a staff) in the game, nevermind assigned to necros. It’s a visual emblem that you want for YOUR necro but not everyone wants the stereotypical “death” image for THEIR necro (I certainly don’t so I’m glad that Anet didn’t choose to assign a scythe to necros).

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

I actually think Final Rest looks just as good for a fraction of the price.

final rest is not even a scythe … it only looks like one because one of the wings is lined up with the camera … so as long u pretend that u don’t see the other I guess u can have your scythe but its not …

u just got to keep telling your self I don’t see that other wing till u go insane and become totally delusional

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Who says a necromancer has to have a scythe? You act like “this is a necromancer’s weapon and we don’t even have one commonly available!” But it ISN’T a necromancer’s weapon.

Have you actually looked at Necromancer staff skill animations?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Then, a plain stick would do? Maybe Bo? Or even Daredevil’s Staff?

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Nythrilyn.2146

Nythrilyn.2146

I just don’t understand why a Necromancer would use a ‘scythe’ in the first place. Considering in Guild Wars, it was for the Dervish Class, not Necromancer. After all it is just a weapon ‘skin’ you are still using a staff -_-

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I just don’t understand why a Necromancer would use a ‘scythe’ in the first place. Considering in Guild Wars, it was for the Dervish Class, not Necromancer. After all it is just a weapon ‘skin’ you are still using a staff -_-

I think they played Diablo 3.

Scythe, 6K gold

Taberis.8341

Who says a necromancer has to have a scythe? You act like “this is a necromancer’s weapon and we don’t even have one commonly available!” But it ISN’T a necromancer’s weapon.

I know right! and yet op say they main necro. I don’t really touch my necro and I learnt about this animation pretty quickly.

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: DarkDucke.3481

DarkDucke.3481

I do not understand how they can pay so much gold in skin’s, it’s very relative, each one has a taste, I can like more of a skin that is worth 50 bucks than one that costs 600 gold. Good thing I do not have to worry about gold in this game, I do not give a kitten about skins, it will not add to anything, I prefer to spend with other things, but like I said, everyone has a taste. Be happy with your sassy underwear.

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

People want things they can’t have. If ANET gifted you 1million gold, you would probably buy that scythe.
People are objecting because they don’t have the gold.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Convince ArenaNet to give my thief an offhand sword or add legitimate player housing and I’ll give you one. No particular order.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: trailofsalt.6571

trailofsalt.6571

I have to disagree somewhat with the point about high cost. I like to feel like a game that we pay for at some point in time will make items reachable to everyone. That doesn’t mean that it’s always reachable. It’s a good thing for players to be on the look out for old items that make an appearance in some way and if you want it now you have to bite the bullet and do what it takes to get it now.

I am not a fan of skins disappearing and becoming so rare that they are only reachable by the wealthiest of barons in the game no matter the time. This is not life so a comparison to the real life wealthy of society does not apply. This is a game. That being said, everything has a value and I generally like how this game economy works.

I smash “1” for greatness… (òÓ,)

Scythe, 6K gold

Djinn.9245

“Staff skill”, not “scythe skill”. Seems pretty obvious to me.

A necromancer has power over the dead. They aren’t “death” or “dead” or any of the other stereotypes.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Scythe, 6K gold

Taberis.8341

I have to disagree somewhat with the point about high cost. I like to feel like a game that we pay for at some point in time will make items reachable to everyone. That doesn’t mean that it’s always reachable. It’s a good thing for players to be on the look out for old items that make an appearance in some way and if you want it now you have to bite the bullet and do what it takes to get it now.

I am not a fan of skins disappearing and becoming so rare that they are only reachable by the wealthiest of barons in the game no matter the time. This is not life so a comparison to the real life wealthy of society does not apply. This is a game. That being said, everything has a value and I generally like how this game economy works.

Agreed on not being a fan of skins disappearing and only the wealthiest can only obtain.

However in this case there are alternative ways to get the scythe staff skin, either via the mystic toilet or using a guaranteed wardrobe unlock. These rely more on luck than out right buying it off the tp for 6k.

Which I like. If they gave use everything easily it would make for a very boring game after a little while, as there would be nothing to strive for. Not to mention the feeling of finally getting that item you’ve been working towards.

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

There’s also other items which are stupid expensive because they don’t drop anymore, like recipe for Chaos of Lyssa. It currently costs about an order of magnitude what the actual item costs to craft (and those god backpieces aren’t exactly cheap to make in the first place!).

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

The OP has many other skins to choose from, but they want one that has very little ways to collect so they are part of the group creating the demand.

“many other skins to choose from”?
Please name me the many other normal scythes in this game.
I got Nightwish which is the next best thing, but that’s still not a normal scythe

In this case I was referring to staffs where as you were scythes. Agree not the same. But that is also because you are targeting a staff with a particular format. You have chosen a staff appearance that is quite rare. I am not opposed to new ones that are scythe-like but not in favor of removing rarity from the game that has passed. I like the fact that when I see something an older player has and ask them about it is something from prior events and not available. That adds depth since this is game is a living game, things change and that what once was may not be again.

As I said not opposed to newer different skins that are more plan and fit what you might be looking for, but other people have dealt with this in the past. There was a high demand for Lightwards Battlestaff after more melee focused demand came about. Instead of upping the drop rate more staffs that looked melee functional were added. That’s a better solution then flooding the drop rates with the more rare weapon. Once again people need goals and when you remove them it just cheapens that it for people that already acquired it.

As far as staffs that are scythe like (and yes had gone thru what you are) Final Rest is a good one as a substitute, another is Great Destroyer Talon and though in the same feel but less of a scythe, The Crossing.

Good collecting!

Edit: Missed some HTML

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

(edited by TheGrimm.5624)

Scythe, 6K gold

Astralporing.1957

These animations visually turn staves to scythes. Thus making it clear that devs also think that the scythe is iconic for necromancers.

Actions, not words.

Scythe, 6K gold

Djinn.9245

These animations visually turn staves to scythes. Thus making it clear that devs also think that the scythe is iconic for necromancers.

The staff is one of many weapons that can be wielded by a necro: Greatsword, Staff, Axe , Dagger, Scepter, Dagger, Focus, Warhorn. Obviously not that iconic among all those choices.

Scythe, 6K gold

Astralporing.1957

The staff is one of many weapons that can be wielded by a necro: Greatsword, Staff, Axe , Dagger, Scepter, Dagger, Focus, Warhorn. Obviously not that iconic among all those choices.

And yet only scythe got that special treatment.

Actions, not words.

Scythe, 6K gold

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Have it, actually sold it once for like 88 gold for mats to finish my first legendary iirc, then was kind of bugged I had to pay 117 to get it again so I soulbound it to remove temptation. Like that it isn’t ubiquitous I guess, but adding a bit more supply to bring the cost down a bit doesn’t bother me at all. 6000 seems crazy expensive IMO.

Scythe, 6K gold

Taberis.8341

And yet only scythe got that special treatment.

You mean staff?

This is most likely because it made the most sense (Scythe animation wise), namely due to how the character holds the staff and of cause because the size and shape of said weapon.

Would be kind of strange to try and turn a gs into a scythe. Thou it might of been nice to add custom animations for the other weapons. But my guess would be it would of been too much work and not to mention people would most likey start to ask for animations for all the other classes.