Season 1 Boxes - Duplication Needs To Go

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

The duplication of account bound items in these boxes is a major issue. Minis, skins, passes, and items that you have LITERALLY 0 ability to use and can’t sell are a huge letdown and, since these are bought with gems, a waste of money. If you are going to put in tons of account bound on acquire items, give us sprockets on duplication or outright reroll anything that we already have.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree.

I’ve been lucky with my 2 free boxes – my only duplicate was an Endless Mystery Quaggan Tonic, which is tradable. But then the other stuff was a 2 week Captains Airship Pass and some consumables. So in a way I only got lucky because I was unlucky and didn’t get any of the rarer rewards.

I’m especially confused by the number of mini pets which are normally tradable but are account bound if you get them from these boxes. I can’t see any logic to that.

The existence of the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock makes it especially odd – that proves they have the tech to avoid giving players useless duplicates because it’s designed to only drop things you don’t already have (and even has a “hidden” drop – a black lion key – for players who have everything). I don’t understand why they didn’t do the same thing here.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

With the kind of useless junk I got from the two free ones we were offered, it convinced me to never invest one cent in that crap.

Not a very good way to entice your players to buy more.

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

Yeah, I’d rather have 1 extra sprocket than a duplicate worth 50c. Not even Professor Mew is worth that little…. anymore.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Contact support if you got a dupe. According to a developer post I read today, it’s not supposed to happen for skins that insta-bind. They apparently overlooked the possibility of getting two of the same from the same box.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Bandlero.6312

Bandlero.6312

This. I bought 40 of the first boxes and 40 of the new boxes, and mostly got duplicates of minis I had already unlocked. Out of my 80 total boxes, I only got 1 skin of value and about 200 currency sprocket things; everything else was duplicates and junk. These boxes really feel like more of a waste of money and a gamble than the regular black lion chests do.

The original [WvW] guild
Fergusons Crossing Invader
http://gw2command.com

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

From 4 boxes I got 4 minis. Three of them the same one, and, of course, it was a mini I had already unlocked long ago.

This is why I’ve not considered purchasing these in the future.

Sigh.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Contact support if you got a dupe. According to a developer post I read today, it’s not supposed to happen for skins that insta-bind. They apparently overlooked the possibility of getting two of the same from the same box.

I purchased one box today. My first purchase of a gamble box ever. Most likely my last. The rewards were bad and included a duplicate of a mini I already had. I thought we were protected from duplications these days. I did put in a ticket, so I’ll see what happens with that.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

can you provide a source? both of the boxes (0 gem purchase) I had a duplicate mini (and would we still need those dupes in the inventory? deleted them immediately)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

can you provide a source? both of the boxes (0 gem purchase) I had a duplicate mini (and would we still need those dupes in the inventory? deleted them immediately)

Provide a source for? If you have a concern about an item in the gem shop, it’s policy for Customer Service to help you resolve it, whether it was a gift or you don’t have the items anymore. Sometimes they can help; sometimes they can’t.

My paraphrase of the developer comment isn’t germane to whether support will be able to assist or not. It speaks to their intended goals, which was the topic of one of the posts above.

tl;dr contact support; see what they say first.

edit: fixed a typo

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

Provide a source for? If you have a concern about an item in the gem shop, it’s policy for Customer Service to help you resolve it, whether it was a gift or you don’t have the items anymore. Sometimes they can help; sometimes they can’t.

My paraphrase of the developer comment is really germane to whether support will be able to assist or not. It speaks to their intended goals, which was the topic of one of the posts above.

tl;dr contact support; see what they say first.

A source for “According to a developer post I read today, it’s not supposed to happen for skins that insta-bind.”, that’s a bold claim, and if true can help a lot of people

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

This. I bought 40 of the first boxes and 40 of the new boxes, and mostly got duplicates of minis I had already unlocked. Out of my 80 total boxes, I only got 1 skin of value and about 200 currency sprocket things; everything else was duplicates and junk. These boxes really feel like more of a waste of money and a gamble than the regular black lion chests do.

Suggestion to Anet:

Every item is in the database for rng purposes.

Ok, so put a tick mark against any that are already owned. Tick mark seen, that person rolls all the rest available. -Problem solved.

No one should be getting dups of recipes, minis, or any other gear if it is account bound, not sellable and not worth a darn thing.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

The duplication of account bound items in these boxes is a major issue. Minis, skins, passes, and items that you have LITERALLY 0 ability to use and can’t sell are a huge letdown and, since these are bought with gems, a waste of money. If you are going to put in tons of account bound on acquire items, give us sprockets on duplication or outright reroll anything that we already have.

Yeah, the ability to at least trade in duplicates for sprockets is needed. I considered spending some of gems on those boxes but just about everything in those boxes would be a duplicate for me (I got duplicates on the free boxes) so I’m not doing that. Good for those who missed LS1, of course.

Also about putting food and other consumables in these cases; meh, those are such a poor value proposition especially considering most of them are still available in game. Putting in items that were sold in the gem store like the costumed quaggan tadpoles or toxic skins is also a poor way to pad out the drop tables, IMO. There should have been only one type of Season 1 box, one without all the filler.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Thanks for doing that, I’m serious, now I know not to bother with these boxes at all.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Yeah it is more like a scam.
I would have prefered to see em on the Black Lion shop for gems.

It’s ridiculous to have an item which could cost X or 2X, or 3X, or 4X, depends on RNG.
And also only few items are tradable, and this gives you only one option: Buy chests and hope you got lucky.

ps: i wanted armored scarlet for a long time, and now what should i do? buying chests and hoping for her? or for all 3 minis needed for the forge?

It is a 500 gem bundle like others minis packs, ANET please get serious.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

2 Watchwork Shoulders on my main account. My alt account got two of the same mini.

The duplicates are a real problem with these boxes.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I submitted a ticket for receiving a mini I already had (duplicate was account bound) and today received a response that this is not supposed to happen. I was sent a replacement box. So I encourage others who receive duplicates to submit a ticket.

Posted by: Daiki.6237

Daiki.6237

must be nice. I submitted a ticket last week for the first box and have yet to receive a reply

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

For ppl who got duplicates and doubleclicked em?
Does the history purché count for a refound?

And could please a dev post anything about?
If it is True that nik al received a ’’refound’’ for its purchase.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

A source for “According to a developer post I read today, it’s not supposed to happen for skins that insta-bind.”, that’s a bold claim, and if true can help a lot of people

I wasn’t a “claim”; it was a paraphrase of a developer comment.
And again, regardless of whether the statement was accurate, it cannot help anyone — folks with a duplicate still need to contact support and there’s no guarantee that support can assist.

Context (player question)

too bad that you can get duplicates of the minis you auto-unlock from the chest; I bought 10 chests and got like 3 duplicate minis

Response: ANet Myranda

The chests physically can not drop an account bound mini you already own. Are you sure it didn’t unlock when you got it dropped and mistaking it as a duplicate? It could maybe happen if you’re getting two of the same mini in one chest open. But, that would be incredibly rare