Seller beware? Avoid the TP?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

they didn’t give the gold back.

I am they. I assure you; I did. =)

Thank you the information. It was very disturbing to think that the trading post was not a safe place to sell items and that ANet could remove gold and not restore items from innocent accounts, unless a fuss was made as shown on that thread. Perhaps you should go back to that thread and state exactly what was finally done and what the policy is for items bought with RMT gold as the thread ended without this information being clear.

And this is why these situations shouldn’t be posted on Reddit of all places. Now you have to spend EXTRA time to fix the situation that has already been dealt with.

complete time waste.

Or….

It’s an opportunity for them to clearly state the policy regarding RMT transactions and when accounts will be sanctioned. As far as I know this has never been stated and unless openness and clarity is bad, then this is a good place for them to get their message out.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Thank you the information. It was very disturbing to think that the trading post was not a safe place to sell items and that ANet could remove gold and not restore items from innocent accounts, unless a fuss was made as shown on that thread. Perhaps you should go back to that thread and state exactly what was finally done and what the policy is for items bought with RMT gold as the thread ended without this information being clear.

And this is why these situations shouldn’t be posted on Reddit of all places. Now you have to spend EXTRA time to fix the situation that has already been dealt with.

complete time waste.

Or….

It’s an opportunity for them to clearly state the policy regarding RMT transactions and when accounts will be sanctioned. As far as I know this has never been stated and unless openness and clarity is bad, then this is a good place for them to get their message out.

They cannot even agree on a refund policy, what makes you think they can agree on a RMT/TP policy?

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Bruno.3812

complete time waste.

Or….

They cannot even agree on a refund policy, what makes you think they can agree on a RMT/TP policy?

As far as I can tell they do have a refund policies depending on the item in question, but they also make exceptions in some cases. Players might not be happy with the policies and that exceptions make the policies look unclear, but it doesn’t mean they don’t have one.

Edit: post on another thread after this one.

Gaile Gray Refund Policy
There is no standard answer to this question because, in order to be as fair and reasonable as possible, each situation is reviewed and resolved on a case-by-case basis. So whatever the speculation about “this is policy” or “that thing happened to my friend” the fact is: If you have questions about your personal request, please discuss with Customer Support, and they will investigate the matter and resolve it to the best of their ability.

(edited by Bruno.3812)

Posted by: Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

OP here. Let me take a moment to 1st off explain why I list useless old pvp items that cant be obtained anymore for outrageous price. Back in the april feature patch in 2014 these items became obsolete and went from accountbound to tradeable. So I bought a few pvp achievement reward chests for ~1g each, and listed them for prices such as 250g as gamble, or leap of faith, and a few months later I was pleasantly surprised the items had sold because people are crazier than me and buy these thing to flip them or what have you. You can go see the history of this item here: https://www.gw2tp.com/item/43936-pvp-achievement-rewards?full=1 . After making money off pvp achievement reward chests I invested in a couple other old pvp items: arcane slivers and powders. I had the highest listed arcane powder at 99s basicly to alert me when someone was to buy them all, and wouldn’t you know it, a year and half later someone buys them all and then someone lists one for 4,500g which I promptly undercut them to 999g in hopes of someone who tries to flips things would see on charts like those on gw2shinies.com will see an item with insane profit potential if they buy mine. A few months ago the most expensive arcane powder was 99s, now the cheapest one for sell is over 7g. Again feel free to check out the full history of arcane powders: https://www.gw2tp.com/item/20801-arcane-powder?full=1 . As someone who has played the game throughout it’s entire existence I just happened to notice a small market of items that eventually turns out ludicrous returns if you are patient enough.

Hey guys; Chris is out for the week but I’ve been looking at this and the bottom line is that this was a single incident that was mishandled when we removed the gold before looking deeper into the account’s behavior.

We made things right with the player because it is not our desire to punish someone who clearly took advantage of a buyer who didn’t check their source. They did not engage in RMT activity and should not have had their gold removed which is why we gave it back.

On the other hand when this happens – An account buys something worthless for a large sum – it is almost always RMT activity but it still falls on mine and Chris’ teams to investigate the account before removing the gold.

If you (as players) engage in fair gameplay you should feel confident that neither CS nor GS are aiming to take action on your account – but we make mistakes. If we do; reach out and we’ll fix it. You all know me well enough by now to know I’m going to do right by you.

Personally, I think you guys should have never replied to the player the way you did on Reddit. It should have been done via a support ticket entirely. I really do think that is the root of the issue as we see it. And the fact is, the player base doesn’t need to know how you guys handle each and every case.

Everything else aside.

The only reason I went to social media was because my support ticket that autogenerated in my email acusing me of buying was not actually handled or looked into and was just replied to with copy pasta of the GMs saying they are 100% sure in their findings even with the loads of evidence I provided to prove I had done none of such until they replied with “this is the last correspondence I will make regarding this issue.” I can’t begin to describe how terrible it feels to have the system come down on you and tell you are going to pay for crimes that you did not commit and would have bear the mark of a criminal forever when you are an honest law-abiding [player].

The other reason I went to social media to share what had happened to me was to bring into the light a problem that could effect anyone who sells goods on the trading post. You could list anything and gold sellers or someone who bought gold could buy that item and basically screw you over making you lose out on your item, your gold, your trading and listing fees, and could even get you banned when it is out of your control who you sell to.

I am overall glad this issue was brought to the attention to the community and to Arenanet staff as Customer Support Lead didn’t even know they had checks in place for RMT transactions on the trading post.

In the end I did get my gold returned to me but what not even a priority to me. The most important things to me were having the truth emerge and to not have bad marks against my account or standings with support and developers on a game I love to play and to ensure this issue was looked in to so no one has to live in fear of using the trading post.

I was most pleased when Game Support Lead send me an email with the body containing “I do want to assure you that I’m looking at how to prevent this in the future. No legitimate player should be punished for good fortune.” That was the most important thing to me.

Posted by: Michael Henninger.7451

Previous

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Next

Upvote and ^5 for Khezekiah-Bellamy-5016

GM Delicious Intent
Twitter: @ANetCSLead
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

complete time waste.

Or….

http://help.guildwars2.com/entries/27697743-Refunds

I’d read the OP’s response two posts above this. It’ll shed some light on what the problem was.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

When, if we can ask? The Original thread was posted 6 days ago. Chris Cleary didn’t according to this post on Reddit 5 days ago :

We monitor all incoming and outgoing sources of wealth. The gold that was used to purchase your arcane slivers (4 of them) for a total of 499.99 Gold originated from a RMT source and while your item listings may have been setup 8 months ago, that doesn’t change where the wealth originated (which was banned).

While the transactions completed, and do not appear to be any fault of yours, we still needed to reclaim the gains from it to remove the wealth from the economy that you should not have gained in the first place. Since we only removed 300g, it looks like you are netting about a positive 166 gold from this. We’ll let you keep that, and I’ll take the strike off your account for buying gold.

This whole thing was just wrong…..Not only that, but the rudeness of the Reddit post. Just wow. "We’ll let you keep that, and I’ll take the strike off your account for buying gold. " Why, thank you for not holding me accountable for something I didn’t do……

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Posted by: Maximus.8376

Maximus.8376

This whole thing was just wrong…..Not only that, but the rudeness of the Reddit post. Just wow. "We’ll let you keep that, and I’ll take the strike off your account for buying gold. " Why, thank you for not holding me accountable for something I didn’t do……

There’s nothing rude in that sentence and you’re quoting it out of context. Maybe your see it that way because your stance on this hole thing is so hostile.

(edited by Maximus.8376)

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Look at that thread on reddit one reason why I hate reddit. Anet respond and it get down vote in to dirt because reddit forum do not agree even though it is important reply. Current -32 point. If OP did not link Anet respond in reddit post no person ever see it. Now post from Anet bury and any explain from Anet respond later bury unless make new post.

You seriously need to stop giving a flying kitten about reddit ratings. Stop looking at HOT listings and follow the NEW ones. It’s the only way to really follow the board there.

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

There’s nothing rude in that sentence and you’re quoting it out of context. Maybe your see it that way because your stance on this hole thing is so hostile or you aren’t a native English speaker(?).

English is my native language and I’m far from the the only person who thought it rude (check the link for the responses from people on Reddit).

It isn’t how you speak to a customer who was just wrongfully accused and partially actioned, IMHO. Take the entire paragraph as a whole (I used the sentence for brevity) and it (again, IMO) is especially rude and curt given it is stated there was no wrong doing on the part of the customer.

Basically, if this player had not gone to Reddit where would they have been? If the people on Reddit hadn’t made their displeasure with the situation so vocal, would the items have been returned, would the gold have been returned? Who knows? I do think this situation was like pulling teeth for the customer (who did nothing wrong) and I think until the person from Anet above stepped in, he was treated rudely. My opinion.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Look at that thread on reddit one reason why I hate reddit. Anet respond and it get down vote in to dirt because reddit forum do not agree even though it is important reply. Current -32 point. If OP did not link Anet respond in reddit post no person ever see it. Now post from Anet bury and any explain from Anet respond later bury unless make new post.

You seriously need to stop giving a flying kitten about reddit ratings. Stop looking at HOT listings and follow the NEW ones. It’s the only way to really follow the board there.

I do use filter by new because default view hide many posts and to many posts seem not in order of conversation. Still my point important comment from Anet in that thread hidden because people down vote it in to dirt few minutes after posted. If you do not look careful you will not even see it because down vote. This is what you see even why filter buy new and easy to miss. Sorry my post seem to make you angry for some reason.

Attachments:

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Sariel V.7024

What doesn’t jive:

The TP listing for those items had been a steady 10 gold for months. Then they get bought out (1 remaining at 75g), partially relisted at higher prices, then bought out and relisted again in the space of 12 hours on Jan 14 (the rmt transaction).

If these had been the same listing for 8 months as he claimed, he’d have only gotten 40 gold. Maybe 300 but highly unlikely. Not 500.

The kittener is lying.

(edited by Sariel V.7024)

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I think part of the point in all the reddit stuff you are missing is that the OP was treated very rudely by support. There exists a clear effort among support to stonewall players with the attitude of “we know everything, and you’re a hacker” that is shoved onto players who file support tickets.
Yes, there are a number of hackers who will write up a sob story to try and get their banned account/confiscated goods back, but this does not justify a blanket policy of treating everyone like a criminal.
Chris Cleary’s attitude of “you’ll take what we give you back, and like it.” was out of line, and goes right along with the type of treatment players get from support via e-mail.
“support” is not doing their job when Anet’s end game is to get away with whatever they can, and that is clearly what happened here. Initially, your company wanted to remove the gold, and just let the OP hang, striped of gold and items. It wasn’t until he went outside the labyrinth of support and posted on Reddit that Arenanet finally decided to do what was right.
That seems to be standard operating procedure though. Do what’s best for the company first, and only do what’s right if the customer complains, eh?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

This is a primary reason I do not recommend GW2 to people I know.

Person A puts a legit item on the AH.

Person B buy Person A’s item with “bad” gold

ANet bans player B, takes what Person A was paid, but does not return the item to Person A.

Person A is out both the item and the gold, being harshly punished thru no fault of their own.

That, simply, is a despicable act by ANet. Shame on you, ANet, for hurting the innocent.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

I think part of the point in all the reddit stuff you are missing is that the OP was treated very rudely by support. There exists a clear effort among support to stonewall players with the attitude of “we know everything, and you’re a hacker” that is shoved onto players who file support tickets.
Yes, there are a number of hackers who will write up a sob story to try and get their banned account/confiscated goods back, but this does not justify a blanket policy of treating everyone like a criminal.
Chris Cleary’s attitude of “you’ll take what we give you back, and like it.” was out of line, and goes right along with the type of treatment players get from support via e-mail.
“support” is not doing their job when Anet’s end game is to get away with whatever they can, and that is clearly what happened here. Initially, your company wanted to remove the gold, and just let the OP hang, striped of gold and items. It wasn’t until he went outside the labyrinth of support and posted on Reddit that Arenanet finally decided to do what was right.
That seems to be standard operating procedure though. Do what’s best for the company first, and only do what’s right if the customer complains, eh?

100% right, Neural. Anet’s ethics stink, and I make sure people know that before getting serious about the game.

Sariel V.7024

I do use filter by new because default view hide many posts and to many posts seem not in order of conversation. Still my point important comment from Anet in that thread hidden because people down vote it in to dirt few minutes after posted. If you do not look careful you will not even see it because down vote. This is what you see even why filter buy new and easy to miss. Sorry my post seem to make you angry for some reason.

It’s a sore point. Both boards have their strengths, and sadly I find reddit to have more of them. But when the common assessment of both boards is that they are home only to bile-spewing or blind-fanboy idiots, I get a bit sensitive ;D

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

On the other hand when this happens – An account buys something worthless for a large sum – it is almost always RMT activity but it still falls on mine and Chris’ teams to investigate the account before removing the gold.

I reported this weeks ago and never received a reply on whether this was or wasn’t RMT. Something seemed fishy when greens and blues on the TP were going for 100’s and sometimes 1000’s of gold. When I asked people who play the TP regularly they said it was doubtful and more likely the items were no longer available in game which didn’t wash with me to be honest. I see these kinds of things on the TP every day so either they aren’t being followed up on or there is a lot more to it. To me it is clearly trading gold and it is rampant.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Dolphin.2574

Dolphin.2574

What I don’t understand is-

- The Original Poster got his stuff back, now feels vindicated and is happy he got his point across so it doesn’t happen to others in the future
- The Arena Net team has publicly apologized

- And STILL some of you are trying to stir up a hornets nest

The parties in question are satisfied, let it go already

Neural.1824

No. This is not about the fact that the OP and Anet are both happy with the outcome of this situation. This is about the fact that Anet first attempted to strip the OP of both gold and items, and hoped he wouldn’t complain about it. It is only because of the uproar on Reddit that Anet was forced to go beyond sending him “We’re right, you’re wrong” e-mails and actually do something to rectify the situation in a manner that is fair to the OP.
This is a serious issue that needs to be resolved on Anets side, and other players, as well as potential players, have a right to know that this sort of unethical practice takes place at Anet.

Ayrilana.1396

No. This is not about the fact that the OP and Anet are both happy with the outcome of this situation. This is about the fact that Anet first attempted to strip the OP of both gold and items, and hoped he wouldn’t complain about it. It is only because of the uproar on Reddit that Anet was forced to go beyond sending him “We’re right, you’re wrong” e-mails and actually do something to rectify the situation in a manner that is fair to the OP.
This is a serious issue that needs to be resolved on Anets side, and other players, as well as potential players, have a right to know that this sort of unethical practice takes place at Anet.

You’re making the assumption that Anet knew they were wrong the entire time which doesn’t appear to be the case.

ikereid.4637

Seriously this^

And anyone who cannot see that is just plain blind.

ikereid.4637

You’re making the assumption that Anet knew they were wrong the entire time which doesn’t appear to be the case.

Look, If the OP never went to reddit this would have never gotten resolved and the OP would have still been ‘in the wrong’.

THAT.IS.THE.POINT!

ikereid.4637

The only reason I went to social media was because my support ticket that autogenerated in my email acusing me of buying was not actually handled or looked into and was just replied to with copy pasta of the GMs saying they are 100% sure in their findings even with the loads of evidence I provided to prove I had done none of such until they replied with “this is the last correspondence I will make regarding this issue.” I can’t begin to describe how terrible it feels to have the system come down on you and tell you are going to pay for crimes that you did not commit and would have bear the mark of a criminal forever when you are an honest law-abiding [player].

The other reason I went to social media to share what had happened to me was to bring into the light a problem that could effect anyone who sells goods on the trading post. You could list anything and gold sellers or someone who bought gold could buy that item and basically screw you over making you lose out on your item, your gold, your trading and listing fees, and could even get you banned when it is out of your control who you sell to.

I am overall glad this issue was brought to the attention to the community and to Arenanet staff as Customer Support Lead didn’t even know they had checks in place for RMT transactions on the trading post.

In the end I did get my gold returned to me but what not even a priority to me. The most important things to me were having the truth emerge and to not have bad marks against my account or standings with support and developers on a game I love to play and to ensure this issue was looked in to so no one has to live in fear of using the trading post.

I was most pleased when Game Support Lead send me an email with the body containing “I do want to assure you that I’m looking at how to prevent this in the future. No legitimate player should be punished for good fortune.” That was the most important thing to me.

I was not talking about you, OP, in my response to Anet. I was talking directly to Anet.

You were in the right to reach out to the community when the company (Anet) failed you.

what is sad is that they couldn’t just pick up the CS Ticket again, revise their findings and auto correct WITH OUT posting more on the reddit post. That is what SHOULD have happened.

Ayrilana.1396

Look, If the OP never went to reddit this would have never gotten resolved and the OP would have still been ‘in the wrong’.

THAT.IS.THE.POINT!

Which isn’t what the person I quoted was saying. I was responding specifically to them and not to the discussion of this thread.

Bruno.3812

I think the problem is that Support made the assumption that they were right the entire time, and failed to actually look at the facts that the OP gave them to show that they were wrong in spite of multiple back and forths on the issue, then Support closed the discussion down.

ikereid.4637

THAT.IS.THE.POINT!

Which isn’t what the person I quoted was saying. I was responding specifically to them and not to the discussion of this thread.

And that comes back to my strong belief that Anet does not have any solid policies in place that their employees follow. As all their CS Staff seems to give different results depending on the day, moons phase, and if we are in summer or winter.

I know they check up on CS tickets, and every so often they just dismiss them however they want until the customer pings back (sometimes enraged).

I have had this happen to be no less then 5 times since playing this game from pre-launch. The first time was about gem reimbursement, got denied by one GM, then got reimbursement from another GM. I can post the Emails from 2 years ago if you want.

Point is, they do not all follow the same rules. And they should. If I am going to get reimbursed anyway, why the wall of denial at the first attempt? That’s just poor customer service.

Ayrilana.1396

I think the problem is that Support made the assumption that they were right the entire time, and failed to actually look at the facts that the OP gave them to show that they were wrong in spite of multiple back and forths on the issue, then Support closed the discussion down.

Probably. The aspect of the poster’s post that I was arguing against is that Anet knew they were wrong the entire time and ignored the OP while knowing that.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hey guys; Chris is out for the week but I’ve been looking at this and the bottom line is that this was a single incident that was mishandled when we removed the gold before looking deeper into the account’s behavior.

We made things right with the player because it is not our desire to punish someone who clearly took advantage of a buyer who didn’t check their source. They did not engage in RMT activity and should not have had their gold removed which is why we gave it back.

If you (as players) engage in fair gameplay you should feel confident that neither CS nor GS are aiming to take action on your account – but we make mistakes. If we do; reach out and we’ll fix it. You all know me well enough by now to know I’m going to do right by you.

How do we get notified if gold or other things are removed from the account? According to the player’s story, it seemed like he just noticed he was down a few hundred gold.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Neural.1824

Probably. The aspect of the poster’s post that I was arguing against is that Anet knew they were wrong the entire time and ignored the OP while knowing that.

Yes. Anet, and anybody with a shred of a concience, knew it was wrong to just pull the gold and not give the OP any items ore compensation. They continued along that path until the OP embarassed them on Reddit, then Chris insulted the OP with his “be happy you got anything back” speech, which simply caused more trouble, until Anet was forced to compensate the OP.
And don’t give me the whole song and dance about how Anet was innocent because they didn’t know the OP wasn’t really the bad guy. They made the assumption that their software is infallible and assumed guilt on the OP’s part. Their attitude towards the OP was just that, “you are guilty, period”. It wasn’t until OP went public that Anet suddenly decided it was in their best interest to double check their omniscience on the case, and even then, they initially responded with a real kitten move by telling the OP he had to just deal with a fraction of what he was owed.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Ok, this thread has gone ’round and ’round, and the pertinent information has been shared, with clarity, several times. Human beings might error, but good human beings make good on those errors with transparency and an explanation. Which the OP received, and with which the OP is more than satisfied, as you can see above.

We’ll close this thread to prevent further “Why didn’t they?” “But they did!” circular discussions.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet