Separate Armor Weight from Skins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

This is about the models and the armor types. Since we have the fixed models in pvp and wvw it litterally doesnt matter anymore to have a “class silhouette”. So could we pls be allowed to trasmute heavy armor with light skins mediums with heavy and light with medium (and all the other compinations). Could we pls get armor skins that dont aply to those rules and go for a diff aproach?

Im beating a dead horse with this one but could future legendary armors (that we wont get idek why im keep hoping) be against this rule about the class silhouettes?

(edited by zealex.9410)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

talking about a guardian in full light or mix and match from heavy medium and light?

No problem with the first but second wont work since they then have to go and remake alot so the medium coat you decide to wear dont clip with your light pants ( lol Yea I know there are like 1 pair of pants) or your heavy shoulders.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I really need to bookmark ANet’s information on this so I can link it fast …

ANet (perhaps unwisely) designed the three armor weights using different rigs, ie the skeletons on which the armor hangs. There are technical reasons preventing mix and match. Remember they did this design many years ago, long before launch, and back then they did have a silhouette concern as a game play feature.

I sure wish they hadn’t done that. I’d love to mix and match all the weights. But it just can’t be done unless they redesign the underlying rigs and then remake every single armor piece in the game. This is apparently so huge a task they’d have to give up on pretty much all other content for a long time, just to end up with things mostly looking the same.

So maybe if there’s ever a GW3 they’ll have learned to design for maximum flexibility in costuming, but it can’t happen with the current game.

If this has changed since ANet made detailed explanations of the issue, I’ve not seen any ANet comments to that effect.

zealex.9410

talking about a guardian in full light or mix and match from heavy medium and light?

No problem with the first but second wont work since they then have to go and remake alot so the medium coat you decide to wear dont clip with your light pants ( lol Yea I know there are like 1 pair of pants) or your heavy shoulders.

They dont ahve to go and change anything tbh theres no need for anything to mix and match you find what you like and what works for you.

zealex.9410

ANet (perhaps unwisely) designed the three armor weights using different rigs, ie the skeletons on which the armor hangs. There are technical reasons preventing mix and match. Remember they did this design many years ago, long before launch, and back then they did have a silhouette concern as a game play feature.

I sure wish they hadn’t done that. I’d love to mix and match all the weights. But it just can’t be done unless they redesign the underlying rigs and then remake every single armor piece in the game. This is apparently so huge a task they’d have to give up on pretty much all other content for a long time, just to end up with things mostly looking the same.

So maybe if there’s ever a GW3 they’ll have learned to design for maximum flexibility in costuming, but it can’t happen with the current game.

If this has changed since ANet made detailed explanations of the issue, I’ve not seen any ANet comments to that effect.

Ok then but this doesnt change the fact that since theres a fixed model option their arguement about class silhouettes makes no sense. So they can go ahead and design what ever non trenchcoat set for mediums etc. Also it that rig limitation aplies then why do outfits work?

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Different system most likely. Outfits as we know them now weren’t in the game when it launched, originally we had ‘town cloths’ so they changed how they worked a while back. Its quite possible that they are (in regards to rigs) a ‘fourth’ armor set. But all that is speculation on my part.

However, while I do think that the “silhouette” deal Anet’s been talking about is kitten, I myself do not agree with the armor classes mix-in-matching idea, and I never have.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

A very early wish (I remember it being discussed on the forums) was for armor to dictate speed in very subtle manner while having more impact on the armor. So that for example a mesmer in heavy armor could go 23% max speed (swiftness up, but -10% from heavy) but also get like 400 extra base toughness and 200 extra base vitality, or something like that. That way you could make a choice.

But alas Anet decided to use funky class balance instead (and somewhat failed at it, warrior in heavy armor remain one of the fastest classes in the game).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Different system most likely. Outfits as we know them now weren’t in the game when it launched, originally we had ‘town cloths’ so they changed how they worked a while back. Its quite possible that they are (in regards to rigs) a ‘fourth’ armor set. But all that is speculation on my part.

However, while I do think that the “silhouette” deal Anet’s been talking about is kitten, I myself do not agree with the armor classes mix-in-matching idea, and I never have.

That’s correct. They said that they are essentially a 4th armor set

Townclothes, costumes and combat
“To expand more on what I mean by better support, It helps if you think of town clothes as a 4th weight class of armor.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Ok then but this doesnt change the fact that since theres a fixed model option their arguement about class silhouettes makes no sense. So they can go ahead and design what ever non trenchcoat set for mediums etc. Also it that rig limitation aplies then why do outfits work?

Why it work for outfits is easy it a one piece suit thats only modled after race.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I don’t think this would work.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

A 4th armor set would be great if they bought back the old town clothes concept.
Since there you can use light clothes on any character for an example.

Yes, we do have the outfits but it’s not the same. Only old players know what I mean.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

So could we pls be allowed to trasmute heavy armor with light skins mediums with heavy and light with medium (and all the other compinations).

I would love that! Then I could finally make my Norn Druid actually look like a Druid (with some light armor skins).

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

So could we pls be allowed to trasmute heavy armor with light skins mediums with heavy and light with medium (and all the other compinations).

I would love that! Then I could finally make my Norn Druid actually look like a Druid (with some light armor skins).

:\ This game doesn’t really have “druid” looking light armor. Least not by my understanding.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: infrequentia.3465

infrequentia.3465

:\ This game doesn’t really have “druid” looking light armor. Least not by my understanding.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sheepskin_armor
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tribal_armor

those come closest to my knowledge for norn atleast

“If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.”