September Stat Changes...more dead levels?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

I have to ask this quention because I really can’t believe that withholding stats til a certain mark can possibly have the effect that ANet wants?

With 80 levels to get through, the recently altered traits system has had the effect of slowing progression, the feeling that your character isn’t progressing much during the dead ( no trait) levels.
After the September patch, ‘between’ levels will be even less progressive, having no traits and no stats either. With 80 levels to get through, that’s a lot of dead levels with no progression whatsoever. Progression will grind to a halt between arbitrary numbers.
To me that seems like it will make levelling feel less progressive over all, not more.

It’s a balance, people want to feel like they’re getting better more frequently, not plodding along til they suddenly jump up a bit, then plod along some more.
With few levels a system like this can work, but with 80….the dead levels are simply too numerous and will make up the bulk of the gameplay. People will remember the emptiness more than the progression, because that’s what will make up most of their time.

I have a low level Asura, will hold off playing her til the patch comes so I can actually put this to the test, but right now I’m strongly convinced that you will have put people off from creating more alts. People are already put off thanks to the dead levels and anti-progressions from the new traits, more dead levels on top simply cannot be appealing.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

I was under the impression that we still gained stats each level, but it now told us what they were. Rather than our health just going up by a bit and doing a bit more damage to things when still in the same level zone.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yep, you gain stats every level. You just get told what they are.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I remember how long levels seemed to take in Prophesies. Levels here seem to just fly by!

I don’t know, I never really noticed any difference when I gained a level here, because my character was already in level-appropriate areas. It probably makes a big difference to those that prefer to level up in areas above their current level. So, that’s great for them. =)

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

I’d hold judgement until we see it in action, but I’m thinking that the rewards you gain from every new level will compensate for any “dead levels” in a character progression sense.

Posted by: Lady Celtaine.3760

Lady Celtaine.3760

My biggest fear is that having already unlocked the Elite skill slot on a post trait edit patch character now level 39 will this new patch do just the same thing to my under lvl 80’s as it did before which is essentially robbed them of the rewards I’d put work into prior.

If I log in one day to find my Elite skill which I currently have earned and spent skillpoints on the skill in that slot blocked with a message saying “unlock at level 60” I will be severely unimpressed to say the least. (Hope they intend to refund us our skill points if that does happen.)

Keeping the utility and elite skills in their current level attainment is the only thing that makes “no trait” characters feel like they have any power or customisation. If you take that away it will completely discourage players from making new characters… it’s bad enough I can collect enough trait points under the current system to fill out 4 points and get a master trait before level 60 but am being held back from doing so by the level you have to be before it unlocks.

They said it was to level the playing field but the under lvl 80’s don’t just feel underpowered they really ARE more underpowered than ever before.
I worry that this “feeling” like leveling makes a difference is just that, a feeling, not an actuality. Because I don’t feel or think any leveling makes a jot of difference to how better your character performs until you are level 80. Pre level 80 is all grind and no enjoyment, pushing the “rewards” back to later levels (ie lvl 30 for traits)doesn’t make me feel like I’ve achieved anything when I get there, more so I feel a sense of relief I’m not being punished for being under that level anymore… (but I’m still being punished for being under lvl 60 and even when I hit that I’m still being punished for not being lvl 80) Not a great motivation technique I have to say.

Anyway just some constructive criticism there….

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

the open world is so easy I dont’ think those traits even matters.

for dungeon experience probably matters more than a few trait points.

Posted by: MrFlump.8725

MrFlump.8725

“When you gain a level, you’ll know you’re progressing in a way that immediately benefits your character. You’ll be able to experience a clear power difference in your character when you reach these milestones rather than having tiny, hard-to-notice increments with each level.”

Going from that it seems like you do not get stats every level but get a few levels worth of stats at once, and going by the picture you get +80 stats points at 58 to power, toughness, precision and vitality, so at like level 60 you will get +80 in the other stats (condi dmg, healing power, ferocity) or something like that.

So its like trait points, you don’t get them every level but when you do u feel it, these stat increases are to fill in the 6 level gaps between trait points

Lady Celtaine.3760

I’ve been playing over a year, certain professions just plain need the traits to be less squishy. Tried to take an ele lvl 32 with lvl 30 rare gear through level 31 story Dredging up the Past. Could not get past the first 2 dredge. Tried many different tactics, high dmg then tried high survivability, endurance bar consistently empty where I couldn’t dodge any more and died anyway every time I tried it without fail. Simply put it’s just plain underpowered. Considering when GW2 first came out we were more or less promised we would be able to solo most if not all of the game if we wanted I feel really let down.

laokoko.7403

I’ve been playing over a year, certain professions just plain need the traits to be less squishy. Tried to take an ele lvl 32 with lvl 30 rare gear through level 31 story Dredging up the Past. Could not get past the first 2 dredge. Tried many different tactics, high dmg then tried high survivability, endurance bar consistently empty where I couldn’t dodge any more and died anyway every time I tried it without fail. Simply put it’s just plain underpowered. Considering when GW2 first came out we were more or less promised we would be able to solo most if not all of the game if we wanted I feel really let down.

I don’t even know how many characters I have. Maybe 23 lvl80? probalby 16 of them finished map completion.

I dotn’ know how you can have so much problems. I could probably just autoattack and press 1 and get through all the map completion and personal story.

I think it is more of you need to read some strategy from the web. It is actually pretty easy if you know what to do.

but I understand what you are going through. I have a hard time on my first elementist too, but when you are leveling your third elementist, it seemed pretty easy.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is really true. Leveling on a mesmer without traits is a whole lot harder than leveling on a guardian or warrior without traits.

Lady Celtaine.3760

I don’t even know how many characters I have. Maybe 23 lvl80? probalby 16 of them finished map completion.

I dotn’ know how you can have so much problems. I could probably just autoattack and press 1 and get through all the map completion and personal story.

I think it is more of you need to read some strategy from the web. It is actually pretty easy if you know what to do.

Easy to say, near impossible to do. Read strategy? From who exactly, a player that knows just the same things I do and has more or less the same experience? Strategy is fine when you have the tools execute it, the experience/expertise and willing is not enough on it’s own. Taking that Ele into Dredging up the past was akin to being given 3 paperclips and told to build a car out of it. Doesn’t matter if you are a mechanic you still can’t do it with 3 paper clips.
No offence ofc, just sayin’. /shrug

laokoko.7403

Easy to say, near impossible to do. Read strategy? From who exactly, a player that knows just the same things I do and has more or less the same experience? Strategy is fine when you have the tools execute it, the experience/expertise and willing is not enough on it’s own. Taking that Ele into Dredging up the past was akin to being given 3 paperclips and told to build a car out of it. Doesn’t matter if you are a mechanic you still can’t do it with 3 paper clips.

So you are telling me you can’t kill 2 “normal” dredge(or is it veteran).

you do realize most normal mob die in 2-3 hit if you maximize your dps.

Try maximizing your dps first, buy lvl32 strong green gear, put in ruby/rune or upgrade component that boost damage in every piece, use dagger dagger, and you can just spam 1 with fire and kill most of the things. (make sure you are close to the target though, else you’ll hit only once instead of 3 times with dagger 1 fire). If you are having trouble summon elemental, water is usually great because it can heal you, or fire/earth depend on situation. also you can use consumable. Usually damage boost consumable, or heal on kill or crit is also good.

There are also other trick such as getting 1 time use consumable. there is a healing seed which is useful early on. And you can also run to fire heart rise and buy the fire elemental powder. Eventhough those are on 30 minutes cooldown.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Lady Celtaine.3760

Look man, I was running the best gear available for the level, (played with my 1 trait point [eqiv to 5 old ones]) used consumables, switched around utility and elite skill, the lot… there was no logical reason I could not do that thing except for that under the old systen I would have had 21 of the old trait points [equiv to 2 in the new system] and even that left over one on the old system would have served a purpose no matter how small, bottom line is my level 30 was robbed of over half her trait points. Making her minus stats after the update. But being expected to do the same story as before… the story was unchanged. Ele was essentially nerfed. It’s pretty clear by process of elimination that missing +50 in any given traitline was the reason I was underpowered. Not a lack of gear or tactics. And if you read what I said in my prev posts properly you would know I had Rare gear. Not shoddy Masterwork.

Edit:
P.s. I can see btw that you aren’t gonna just be able to take my word for it sooooo, benefit of the doubt, just gonna throw it out there in the end I had guildies help take my ele through that story and she’s not the same level anymore obvs, but I have more or less the exact same problem with a lvl 20 engineer (again certain profs just plain feel like they need the traits sooner than others), so open invite here if you wanna look me up sometime I will ping you his gear and you are more than welcome to come watch him get his butt handed to him in an area he SHOULD be able to handle and then you can see the underpower of the lack of traits for yourself.

(edited by Lady Celtaine.3760)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

After the September patch, ‘between’ levels will be even less progressive, having no traits and no stats either. With 80 levels to get through, that’s a lot of dead levels with no progression whatsoever. Progression will grind to a halt between arbitrary numbers.
To me that seems like it will make levelling feel less progressive over all, not more.

In the end they can strip now all the dead levels and make max level 16 or 20.

Stats every five levels .. so 80 / 5 = 16

Just adjust traits then to start with level 3, and we get another each level.

Or make it every 4 level .. so 80 / 4 = 20 .. and there we are back to max level from GW1

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Try maximizing your dps first, buy lvl32 strong green gear, put in ruby/rune or upgrade component that boost damage in every piece, use dagger dagger, and you can just spam 1 with fire and kill most of the things. (make sure you are close to the target though, else you’ll hit only once instead of 3 times with dagger 1 fire). If you are having trouble summon elemental, water is usually great because it can heal you, or fire/earth depend on situation. also you can use consumable. Usually damage boost consumable, or heal on kill or crit is also good.

There are also other trick such as getting 1 time use consumable. there is a healing seed which is useful early on. And you can also run to fire heart rise and buy the fire elemental powder. Eventhough those are on 30 minutes cooldown.

dont say its easy until you try it on that charachter/level, it is possible they forgot to nerf the enemies in certain story steps, or didnt bother because they were planning to release this current update with newly balanced personal story.

phys.7689

Or make it every 4 level .. so 80 / 4 = 20 .. and there we are back to max level from GW1

but they will not, so why bring it up?

Beldin.5498

but they will not, so why bring it up?

Because bringing it up makes as much sense as this new feature .. also who knows ..
maybe they also think that it would be “less confusing” for new players if they don’t
see something about level ups too often .. i really think level ups are confusing like hell

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Originally by the time someone hit 30 the levelling game was over. You had everything unlocked you would need with the exception of master and grandmaster. It did cause quite a few players that I knew at the time to quit shortly after hitting 30.

Instead of improving the experience from 30-80, it’s only gotten worse.

There is a reason old GW1 players were flabbergasted by the 80 levels developers ended up putting into this game. You could get to 20, very easily, by yourself and with no assistance in a few hours in GW1 (20 being that game’s level cap). Now you would go out capping elites, pvp, compete in GvG, etc. GW2’s end game content is so shallow they had to gate you reaching it. Then they gated how often you were rewarded for participating in GW2’s end game.

Yeah, gating vs enjoyable experience, you can see where the team fell over that line.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

(edited by GOSU.9574)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Yes! Maybe this is all a precursor (ahem) to condensing the levels back to 20 where they should have been all along!

/e Judd Nelson at the end of The Breakfast Club

The table is a fable.

phys.7689

Originally by the time someone hit 30 the levelling game was over. You had everything unlocked you would need with the exception of master and grandmaster. It did cause quite a few players that I knew at the time to quit shortly after hitting 30.

Instead of improving the experience from 30-80, it’s only gotten worse.

There is a reason old GW1 players were flabbergasted by the 80 levels developers ended up putting into this game. You could get to 20, very easily, by yourself and with no assistance in a few hours in GW1 (20 being that game’s level cap). Now you would go out capping elites, pvp, compete in GvG, etc. GW2’s end game content is so shallow they had to gate you reaching it. Then they gated how often you were rewarded for participating in GW2’s end game.

Yeah, gating vs enjoyable experience, you can see where the team fell over that line.

master and grandmaster traits was kind of a big deal, and it was pretty unlikely to have enough skill points to get all skills by 30. If you quit by 30 its because you didnt like the game itself. Even though i agree that there were some dead zones, overall, leveling from 1-80 is the best part of the game, so if you didnt like that, oh well.

I agree that dragging it out will not improve the game.

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

If that’s what they were going for, I don’t think I’d mind so much but I don’t see them making such a dramatic change throughout the game. It’d certainly be better though than no progress at all, followed by a jump then none at all again. Perception is everything and people will be feeling those empty levels, especially since there’ll be more of them than progression levels.

laokoko.7403

dont say its easy until you try it on that charachter/level, it is possible they forgot to nerf the enemies in certain story steps, or didnt bother because they were planning to release this current update with newly balanced personal story.

Dude I have 23 almost 24 level80. And I leveled a bunch of characters after the trait updates.

I think people simply dont’ know how to play. I have problem on my first elementist too, that is with traits.

But now on my third elementist, I’m having a much easier time without the traits.

That being said, elementist is pretty hard to level for beginners, and it’ll be “slightly” harder without traits.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Lady Celtaine.3760

Dude I have 23 almost 24 level80. And I leveled a bunch of characters after the trait updates.

I think people simply dont’ know how to play. I have problem on my first elementist too, that is with traits.

But now on my third elementist, I’m having a much easier time without the traits.

That being said, elementist is pretty hard to level for beginners, and it’ll be “slightly” harder without traits.

TBPH that’s pretty offensive to be insinuating players who have been playing over a year, got several characters of different professions to level 80, done most dungeon paths, and completed the Personal story on each and been able to mostly solo Living world, “simply don’t know how to play” (as if they are complete newbies).
What cobblers! You can’t just dismiss a veteran(-I-may-add) player’s problems like that.

(edited by Lady Celtaine.3760)

Beldin.5498

Had also less problems with my second elementalist leveled with the new system,
however i used also a level 20 scroll, crafted 21 levels, and bought exactly the traits
that my older 80 elementalist was using .. so i did the experimantation with that one
to find out the build that works best for me.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

“When you gain a level, you’ll know you’re progressing in a way that immediately benefits your character. You’ll be able to experience a clear power difference in your character when you reach these milestones rather than having tiny, hard-to-notice increments with each level.”

Going from that it seems like you do not get stats every level but get a few levels worth of stats at once, and going by the picture you get +80 stats points at 58 to power, toughness, precision and vitality, so at like level 60 you will get +80 in the other stats (condi dmg, healing power, ferocity) or something like that.

So its like trait points, you don’t get them every level but when you do u feel it, these stat increases are to fill in the 6 level gaps between trait points

I believe this could be true, but also that there will be no “dead levels”. Maybe something like this?

Level X: gain 6 levels worth of Power increase
Level X+1: gain 6 levels worth of Vitality increase
Level X+2: gain 1 hard-to-get equipment piece (like a back item) with above-average stats
Level X+3: gain 6 levels worth of Precision increase
Level X+4: gain 6 levels worth of Toughness increase
Level X+5: gain 1-2 trait points (like is already the case since April)

Repeat this cycle for each subsequent block of 6 levels, until you reach level 80.

Beldin.5498

I believe this could be true, but also that there will be no “dead levels”. Maybe something like this?

Level X: gain 6 levels worth of Power increase
Level X+1: gain 6 levels worth of Vitality increase
Level X+2: gain 1 hard-to-get equipment piece (like a back item) with above-average stats
Level X+3: gain 6 levels worth of Precision increase
Level X+4: gain 6 levels worth of Toughness increase
Level X+5: gain 1-2 trait points (like is already the case since April)

Repeat this cycle for each subsequent block of 6 levels, until you reach level 80.

Look at the picture :

Attachments:

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I suspect that the idea is to spread things out so the things that you gain are clumped into groups, something like

Level 10 – Gain 1 trait point
Level 11 – Stat Increase
Level 12 – Weapon skill unlock
Level 13 – Ability to emote
Level 14 – Unlock Utility Skill
Level 15 – Gain 1 trait point.

Obviously I don’t know what will be unlocked at each level.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

A veteran player complaining about this type of change is just sad….there are plenty of other things you can stir up to whine about.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Lady Celtaine.3760

A veteran player complaining about this type of change is just sad….there are plenty of other things you can stir up to whine about.

Not wanting to potentially be, in essence robbed of a “reward” you had already unlocked and put effort into is not an unreasonable issue to complain about. No matter if you have been playing a month or a whole two years.

Instead of pooh-poohing another player’s concerns and brushing it off with “there are other things” why not be constructive and actually bring those other things to light if they bother you so much?

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

That’s because the elementalist has been nerfed to death. We could do so much before that we cant do now, like heal in mist form for example. Yes the ele can be good with ccs and water, dodging all over the place and surviving with boons.

A masterful ele will still beat a poor thief in WvW or PvP, but place a masterful thief versus a masterful ele in a competitive context and the ele is sure to lose. That’s why at the PvP tournament last year nobody played that class.