Serious Griefing being done at Lyssa

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

3 times today I have tried to get the trait that Lyssa gives and 3 times have been prevented by people deliberately killing the risen to stop Lyssa being spawned. Not only that but with people openly laughing in chat and saying “just pay gold noob”. Anet, I love the concept of unlocking traits and skills..but it’s like you didn’t think of the possibility that these events would be trolled….Between this and the toxic chat in Queensdale , I’m seeing some very very poor attitudes from the gw2 community

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

You do know you can buy them straight up for 3 gold and 20 skill points each right?

Mitch.4781

You do know you can buy them straight up for 3 gold and 20 skill points each right?

You don’t say……

Azure Prower.8701

You don’t say……

So, what’s the problem? You’re complaining that you’re not getting it for free because you don’t want to invest the time waiting for it to open?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

He did say that people were in chat were saying, “just pay gold noob” so I imagine he does know. But some people would like to earn them by playing the game and not by buying them.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

I can’t imagine them being there all day, eventually the event you are after has to occur, try changing daily routine around a bit, logon at different times of the day.
Also, I got the impression that relogging may put you in a different megaserver, where the event might occur.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

that might be rude behaviour, but you really cannot blame players for this. Events are there to be succeeded in. Yet Anet places trait unlocking behind an event that has to be failed first. Seems like horrid game design to me. Also, as far as I remember, people have every reason to defend the temple because there is a favorite farm area.

Mitch.4781

You don’t say……

So, what’s the problem? You’re complaining that you’re not getting it for free because you don’t want to invest the time waiting for it to open?

God what an awful attitude….Seriosuly..that’s NOT THE POINT! ..and if you lack the good grace and smarts to understand that, then it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if you were a griefer too.

Posted by: Misterdeeply.8764

Misterdeeply.8764

He did say that people were in chat were saying, “just pay gold noob” so I imagine he does know. But some people would like to earn them by playing the game and not by buying them.

Very much this! I also like the challenge to achieve it myself then buying it with gold. Buying it with gold is the easy way out.

Algreg.3629

Very much this! I also like the challenge to achieve it myself then buying it with gold. Buying it with gold is the easy way out.

getting 3 gold and 20 sp is a greater achievement than “tagging” any event in the game.

Mitch.4781

Plus I have 10 80’s..if I was to buy all the traits, I would need at least 150 gold….

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Well, the gods are silenced, Orr has risen from the depths and is haunted by undead, I guess it is fitting for players to grief at Lyssas old Cathedral. I mean, it’s pretty sad.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Between this and the toxic chat in Queensdale , I’m seeing some very very poor attitudes from the gw2 community

I would stand my ground and defend the opinion that it is poor game design decisions to blame rather then people who are allowed to play how they want and to grief others by doing so.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

Maybe some people would be fine wasting 3-8 hours standing around doing absolutely nothing in a game, but some people just don’t have that time, or, even more miraculously, don’t find it fun to be standing in one spot waiting for an event that probably will never happen.

Point is, people shouldn’t have to no-life it to make it to a Lyssa spawn. I haven’t seen her spawn since the patch, and I’ve been in the zone every day. I’m not in any hurry to get the traits, but I did used to farm her and the other temple bosses daily, and I miss that.

What’s the point of even giving us a choice between paying money or doing an event to get a trait if we’re never going to be able to do the event, anyway?

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

What’s the point of even giving us a choice between paying money or doing an event to get a trait if we’re never going to be able to do the event, anyway?

The point of this is, that players get the illusion, they would have a choice. ^^

greetings.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Between this and the toxic chat in Queensdale , I’m seeing some very very poor attitudes from the gw2 community

I would stand my ground and defend the opinion that it is poor game design decisions to blame rather then people who are allowed to play how they want and to grief others by doing so.

Of course you would. Its not Anet being jerks, its players. Nobody is forcing players to be kittens.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Algreg.3629

Of course you would. Its not Anet being jerks, its players. Nobody is forcing players to be kittens.

people are there playing the game. The game tells them there is an event, “defend the temple” or whatever. People do. Also, if that has not changed, people can get very rare crafting materials as long as the temple stays “open”. So their interest to defend is at least as high as yours having the event fail. You rank trait unlocking higher because you need it. They prefer it the other way around. This is not griefing. Griefing is not “people don´t do the thing I want them to do”. The whole temple events have always been flawed from a game design view (better rewards from failing and redoing events), throwing the new GM traits in there made it only more apparent.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Terrible design on Anet’s part. Seems like they used a random number generator to come up with the “challenges” for unlocking traits. Nothing unique should EVER come from a failed event; they made the same mistake with red hylek potions, which are probably impossible to obtain with megaserver now, since they require many, many events to be failed in a row to be able to buy.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

zenleto.6179

people are there playing the game. The game tells them there is an event, “defend the temple” or whatever. People do. Also, if that has not changed, people can get very rare crafting materials as long as the temple stays “open”. So their interest to defend is at least as high as yours having the event fail. You rank trait unlocking higher because you need it. They prefer it the other way around. This is not griefing. Griefing is not “people don´t do the thing I want them to do”. The whole temple events have always been flawed from a game design view (better rewards from failing and redoing events), throwing the new GM traits in there made it only more apparent.

I didn’t say anyone was griefing, I said people were being jerks and its not Anet’s fault. As far as I know the OP was also being a jerk right back.

Mitch.4781

I didn’t say anyone was griefing, I said people were being jerks and its not Anet’s fault. As far as I know the OP was also being a jerk right back.

How the heck was I being a jerk..I was just trying to get my trait!

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

that might be rude behaviour, but you really cannot blame players for this. Events are there to be succeeded in. Yet Anet places trait unlocking behind an event that has to be failed first. Seems like horrid game design to me. Also, as far as I remember, people have every reason to defend the temple because there is a favorite farm area.

Griefing implies intention. If you’re saying pay the 3.5 gold noob, you’re not there to finish the event. You’re there to ruin someone else’s experience. Those people should be run out of the game, not because they’re doing an event, but because they’re so happily ruining the experience of many in the community.

This is just terrible design on ANet’s part. Really bad.

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

The so called griefers are doing you all a service because eventually so many people will be frustrated at not being able to get the trait that eventually there will be changes made. By the way, this isn’t the first thread complaining about the lyssa defense event.

zenleto.6179

How the heck was I being a jerk..I was just trying to get my trait!

Reread that line and understand it bit further. I don’t know what happened there except people were being pricks.

Algreg.3629

Griefing implies intention. If you’re saying pay the 3.5 gold noob, you’re not there to finish the event. You’re there to ruin someone else’s experience. Those people should be run out of the game, not because they’re doing an event, but because they’re so happily ruining the experience of many in the community.

Saying “pay the 3.5 noob” does not imply anything, you can be there doing your thing. I imagine that guy, if he really said that, was being told by OP to stop defending first.

Azure Prower.8701

In a game where you can get almost any thing with a swipe of a credit card. That point is moot.

Welcome to Guild Wars 2. You must be new here.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

I don’t know the event that this is (I haven’t bothered with the traits, and the ones I do care about I purchased because I dislike open world), but it is bad game design if a small group of players can stop a whole megaserver from being able to unlock.

Of course the opportunity to pay to unlock is there, but players shouldn’t “have” to.

It’s time the requirements were revisited so players can get these traits without being attacked by griefing.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I don’t know the event that this is (I haven’t bothered with the traits, and the ones I do care about I purchased because I dislike open world), but it is bad game design if a small group of players can stop a whole megaserver from being able to unlock.

Of course the opportunity to pay to unlock is there, but players shouldn’t “have” to.

It’s time the requirements were revisited so players can get these traits without being attacked by griefing.

Especially since the requirements for some other traits were changed to include the defense event as an alternative.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Maybe they’re being rude to him because he’s telling them to fail the event they’re working on. I mean, seriously, imagine you’re working with a bunch of other people to do something and one guy runs up and starts telling you to stop – not because it’s beneficial to you in any way, but because it’s entirely beneficial to them.

It is a bad design though, taken individually megaserver and event-linked trait unlocks are good, but when you slap a trait on an event that can only be accessed through the failure of another event, then ensure there will always be enough people on the map to prevent said event from failing, palms start hitting faces.

Lishtenbird.2814

Exactly.

I’m not defending people for being jerks; but just like social norms in real world discourage such behaviour, game designs should do the same instead of encouraging it.

If it’s a competitive PvP world, that’s one thing; if it’s cooperative PvE world, that’s another thing. When designing events, you stick with either one concept or another; but similar to many-many previous events, ANet has designed events where one person’s goal (having access to vendor, farming a small amount of mobs during defence event) contradicts with other person’s (farming a large amount of mobs and getting the trait). This just got worse with multi-lingual communities who do not hear each other because of the stealth-added language filter which is on by default.

There’re 2 perfectly simple solutions to this particular problem:

• Make defence events occur more often and make the waves significantly harder each time (the way it was designed to be previously) so that it eventually fails disregarding the amount of defenders;
  • Make the trait acquirable through defence event, similar to a couple of other traits.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I haven’t heard of people wanting farming spots related to Lyssa ever since they closed the Lyssa Waypoint farm months ago. There will always be people purposefully trolling other players so they can’t get what they want. Most of the time it’s pretty easy to tell.

ANet should just make the trait acquirable through defense, like some of the other events.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Morningstar.2934

Morningstar.2934

Suggestion for the immediate problem: What worked recently was that if there are enough of you that want the event to fail, go to the event and scale it up without attacking the Risen. Lure any stragglers to the center. You can help the event to fail. Just as the “griefers” are entitled to try to succeed the defense event, you’re entitled to hang out and not attack (and help the event to fail). Fight fire with fire.

In the big scheme of things, it’s not good design that players are now interested in doing this event more to “grief” other players, and that players want an event to defend against the Risen to fail to do the next event to get the trait.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

3 times today I have tried to get the trait that Lyssa gives and 3 times have been prevented by people deliberately killing the risen to stop Lyssa being spawned. Not only that but with people openly laughing in chat and saying “just pay gold noob”. Anet, I love the concept of unlocking traits and skills..but it’s like you didn’t think of the possibility that these events would be trolled….Between this and the toxic chat in Queensdale , I’m seeing some very very poor attitudes from the gw2 community

Dude just go buy them. Every MMO has griefers. Gw2 has quite a good community compared to other MMO’s honestly. Don’t waste your time at lyssa then, just go and make some quick gold through an arah run(if you can find a good group) and then you have 3 gold.

Lishtenbird.2814

Dude just go buy them. Every MMO has griefers. Gw2 has quite a good community compared to other MMO’s honestly. Don’t waste your time at lyssa then, just go and make some quick gold through an arah run(if you can find a good group) and then you have 3 gold.

No, don’t. Speak with your actions and don’t fall for the carefully masked gold sink.

I can leave another month – or well, even forever since they’re useless – without these traits and I’m either getting it through the event when it works or I don’t.

Posted by: Bauli.5398

Bauli.5398

You should not be forced to buy the traits, but you should not have to fail something first for it either. Better to change the way to obtain it. It should always be possible to get the traits. So make it with a champion, or something, that are separate and can (almost) always be done without the need of failing events and impossible to troll.

Pandaman.4758

Suggestion for the immediate problem: What worked recently was that if there are enough of you that want the event to fail, go to the event and scale it up without attacking the Risen. Lure any stragglers to the center. You can help the event to fail. Just as the “griefers” are entitled to try to succeed the defense event, you’re entitled to hang out and not attack (and help the event to fail). Fight fire with fire.

In the big scheme of things, it’s not good design that players are now interested in doing this event more to “grief” other players, and that players want an event to defend against the Risen to fail to do the next event to get the trait.

Okay, people doing an event as the event was intended to be done is not griefing no matter how entitled the person who wants the trait unlock may feel, however organizing people to sabotage the efforts of others and force failure? That may not be griefing, per se, but you’re flirting dangerously close to it.

Edit: additionally you’re not solving anything, you’re just creating an even bigger problem, because now you’ve just irked a whole group of people who were trying to do defense and know you were sabotaging them just to trigger another quest. Guess what they’re going to do? Maybe squat in your event and scale it to the point that you can never succeed?

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Nage.1520

From some of the comments, I’m not sure everyone reading this understands the problem.

Anet created a trait that requires you to kill the Lyssa Statue at the Temple of Lyssa. Once she’s defeated, there’s an event to defend the temple, and hold it. Now, if that temple is held indefinitely, the people who want to actually do the event to unlock the trait can’t do it. It’s not really because people are griefing. Most people don’t know why the other people want the event to fail.

But this isn’t people not playing the game the way Anet intended. This is people trying to unlock a brand new trait that Anet put in the game and the ONLY way to get to make the attempt is to fail the event the comes before it.

Succeeding in that event, only means that you have to wait for the event to come up again to possibly fail it. The event doesn’t spawn that often. If Anet hasn’t put the trait into the game, then people might have a point but Anet did.

The people that are succeeding at the event, they’re actually losing out anyway. They’d get far more and better loot letting the event fail for themselves. And they’d also have a chance to unlock the trait.

Basically the only way to really want to complete this event is if you’re an RPer and you want to hold the temple against undead. Both farmers and people looking for the trait BOTH want the event to end. That’s the only way the boss spawns and the only way you get the daily guaranteed gold, the big chest and the unlocked trait.

There’s really no good reason not to fail that event, except to grief.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

The solution is for them to allow you to receive the trait from defence events.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Nage.1520

The solution is for them to allow you to receive the trait from defence events.

I agree. That’s how it should be set up. But it’s not at this time. It took me three days to unlock that trait on a single character.

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

OP, here is a suggestion.

Instead of complaining, join the defend the event, do the Dwayna temple event, do some other events in Malchors Leap (there are lots..). Harvest the nodes, get the little chests scattered about, do the jump puzzle, then sell all the mats you find/loot and by the trait you want.

Yup, it might take you longer than tagging one capture event, but either way, you ‘earned’ the trait.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Pandaman.4758

God forbid people just do events just to do events. Not everyone is boss farming 24/7 and the megaserver has ensured that enough people who don’t share your golden standards of success populate the map.

Lishtenbird.2814

Yup, it might take you longer than tagging one capture event, but either way, you ‘earned’ the trait.

No, you only earned the gold for your spent time.

Because if you spend the equal amount of time doing the capture event, you get the same gold and the trait.

Morningstar.2934

Guess what they’re going to do? Maybe squat in your event and scale it to the point that you can never succeed?

Currently, their impact will probably be negligible. The Priestess of Lyssa event once it starts draws a bigger group. Those who do the defense event are usually less than a handful. It’ll go down to a question of numbers…how many want the defense event to fail vs. how many want the defense event to succeed.

Ordinarily, if the defense event’s failure wasn’t needed to start the next event chain to unlock the trait, I’d totally agree that everyone doing the defense event was acting with the intended spirit. Currently, (perhaps also attributable in part due to the megaserver) the interest of some few players is to more actively do the defense event knowing that it negatively affects a number of players who are more interested in the following event which only happens if the defense event fails.

ANet should monitor this and address it more appropriately. My suggestion was to help those who want the event to fail. Perhaps if they are successful enough, it will deincentive those players who actively want to frustrate them. I’d be happy to help the defense event fail, and I’m sure guildies, etc. would be willing to help as well if needed.

Hopefully, ANet will address this more appropriately so that no one needs to “grief” on each other or consider it that way. Different players have different objectives, and usually, players like to help other players unless perhaps there’s some cost or loss to them. ANet should try to incentive that as opposed to creating this silly conflict.

(edited by Morningstar.2934)

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

In general this game is well designed for shared rewards, but at any time the design falls short there are always players around who will make things miserable for everyone else. Normally, I’d say that if anyone sees an open world event they are entitled to start and finish it. Nobody (else) owns the event. However in this case the trait award seems badly designed and is a bug waiting to be fixed. Players should show courtesy to other players who want the trait and let the defense event fail. As soon as players work against each other and taunt each other they show the attitude of griefing even if they are technical not griefing.

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

How about jumping out of those internet warrior seats and try to imagine yourself in other people’s perspective?

Megaserver made finding-doing certain events difficult, basic truth.

Just because there is a alternative way to do it doesn’t change the fact that one of the options is and at the same time, isn’t there. The OP is challenging this fact and it’s the truth.

A event that hinges on failing a previous event isn’t new in Anet, but they should’ve considered the fact that implementing the trait system behind a set of events that need another event to fail isn’t the best idea possible, what the OP has described is a recurring situation for Arah, Grenth and Lyssa.

Shoving down other people’s throat your opinion of ‘just buy the trait’ is unnecessary, you are just being redundant and selfishly opinionated being incapable of seeing things from other people’s POV.

Nage.1520

God forbid people just do events just to do events. Not everyone is boss farming 24/7 and the megaserver has ensured that enough people who don’t share your golden standards of success populate the map.

The defend event is one event on a map that has dozens upon dozens of events. At this time, it’s the ONLY event on the map that seriously inconveniences other players. A community minded person would understand that.

God forbid someone did all the other events on the map, and all the events on other maps than picking the one single event people need to unlock a trait or get a daily boss chest.

I’m usually not on the side of farmers, but this is not a player problem. This is a problem Anet set up.

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Because if you spend the equal amount of time doing the capture event, you get the same gold and the trait.

Sorry, but I have done Lyssa capture many times before, The rewards from doing this one event are certainly not the same as you would earn doing dwayna and all the the other events and in Malchor’s combined, along with all the other activities I mentioned. You are being foolish even to suggest such a thing.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Pandaman.4758

Currently, their impact will probably be negligible. The Priestess of Lyssa event once it starts draws a bigger group. Those who do the defense event are usually less than a handful. It’ll go down to a question of numbers…how many want the defense event to fail vs. how many want the defense event to succeed.

Ordinarily, if the defense event’s failure wasn’t needed to start the next event chain to unlock the trait, I’d totally agree that everyone doing the defense event was acting in intended spirit. Currently, (perhaps in part due to the megaserver) the interest of some few players is to more actively do the defense event knowing that it negatively affects a number of players who are more interested in the following event who only happens if the defense event fails.

ANet should monitor this and address it more appropriately. My suggestion was to help those who want the event to fail. Perhaps if they are successful enough, it will deincentive those players who actively want to frustrate them. I’d be happy to help the defense event fail, and I’m sure guildies, etc. would be willing to help as well if needed.

Hopefully, ANet address this more appropriately so that no one needs to “grief” on each other or consider it that way. Different players have different objectives, and usually, players like to help other players unless perhaps there’s some cost or loss to them. ANet should try to incentive that as opposed to creating this silly conflict.

So, what? The bigger gang wins? It’s not griefing if you’re in the majority, right? In fact any minority group that isn’t playing the game the way the majority approves is griefing, right?

Yeah, that’s how communities get toxic.

Look, I understand your frustration, but the problem isn’t with people who are doing events, the problem is with the design of the trait unlock. Lambasting complete strangers over assumed motivations and asking for them to be punished in some way, either by official sanction or mob justice, is not a solution, it’s just making things worse for both the game and the community.

Morningstar.2934

Obviously, including based on the discussion here, the current design associated with the Lyssa event with the trait unlock goes against ANet’s core MMO philosophy. Keep the discussion going and get it escalated.

In the meanwhile, scale up the defense event. Ask your guildies to help if needed.

Lishtenbird.2814

Sorry, but I have done Lyssa capture many times before, The rewards from doing this one event are certainly not the same as you would earn doing dwayna and all the the other events and in Malchor’s combined, along with all the other activities I mentioned. You are being foolish even to suggest such a thing.

I like how constructive and objective you are.

I don’t know what game you’ve been playing, but the worst loot you can get (apart from the Eye of Zhaitan chain probably) is contested Dwayna’s chain – too little trash mobs, a semi-boss and a boss, boring and fairly long Malchor’s escort.

Contested Lyssa, on the other hand, has 3 seal capture-defence events with tons of trash mobs, and if done one by one (as I always did, and successfully commanded it when felt like it), it provides a large amount of loot. Aaand you get bonus loot if the seal defend events pop up during Lyssa stage – as they usually do and if players are smart enough to attend those. At least that’s what it used to be before the patch.

That said, you’re totally missing the point… When you do event A you get gold and a trait; if you do event B you get gold; if you spend the gold on the trait after it, you just lost.

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

Nope you can AFK and cause events to fail just like the dead people at grenth and tequatl that won’t waypoint to reduce scaling. Like I ran past a couple of defeated players dead bodies even though they cried for help. It’s not griefing to do nothing to help the dead people so it’s not griefing to do nothing to help the lyssa defense event.