Serious question about what MF does for you

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: garraeth.3267

garraeth.3267

MF is completely borked beyond belief at this time. For some it works, for others it actually decreases drop rates. I’ve noticed the same on all of my toons that I added MF too.

I agree with this. It’s totally borked. I run Grenth several times each day and swap back and forth between my MF set and normal and can’t see any improvement in drops from MF.

In fact, with my Berserker gear, I see MORE drops — my guess is it’s because I’m able to tag more mobs past the percentage requirement to get it to count. In addition, tonight in my Berserker gear I got a nice exotic. Go figure.

But since I haven’t done any actual tracking, I’m still going back and forth :/

edit: Thinking about it though, I wonder if MF isn’t working just fine, but if you’re doing an event with many people around (not all in your own party), you’re not hitting mobs enough (since your gear is gimped) to get a drop at all. If no drop→no loot roll→MF won’t even come into play.

So maybe it’s more situational. If you’re solo farming, use MF gear since you’re always going to be doing 100% of the dmg on the mob (or if you’re in a party with no one else around outside that party). But if you’re in an area with people outside your party, don’t use MF in order to ensure enough dmg on the mob to get past the percentage requirement (or use MF if you’re confident you’ll still get enough dmg on each mob).

Also, someone mentioned that they got more drops while in a party. Ya, that’s just because the sum of the parties hits is what’s applied to every party member as the percentage contribution of the mobs damage.

(edited by garraeth.3267)

Posted by: Ireniicus.2167

Ireniicus.2167

I estimate 70% of all crafted items bought is berserker gear so most people leave off MF for glass cannon builds

Posted by: Cushnahan.7058

Cushnahan.7058

MF actually works for me.

I put on +3% and +10% and a peach tart (Total of… ugh, my maths: 39% or something) and got an elaborate totem and some yellows from SoS. While that’s not very fancy, this is my alt char.

On my main, actually got A full MFset with 170% and get some exos every other fractals. (Okay might be exaggerated, but at least the drop rate is better.)

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

Hmmmm last night i decided to pick up rune of scavenger and used omnomberry bars…Farmed orr for about 3 1/2 hours and I got about 15 rares idk what you guys are doing wrong but I got multiple back to back rares and TONS of blue / greens

What was your total MF? I’m starting to think the issue arises after 100%

I maybe have 80% of MF (including food and sigil of luck), nothing special, but I do get enough of drops from farming Orr DEs to get at least 2g per hour. Nothing special OFC, but rares do happen. Yesterday I even got 11 rares during 3 hours.
Problem is that on many occasions I almost can hear when DR ticks in. Porous bones and trash for hours and hours.

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

I guess all the mobs are programmed to scan through those with MF or Highest Dps individual.
Did Temple of Bhaltazar with my all out Zerker gear early in the morning justnow. Yep just 1-2 hit on the boss and Bhaltazar Priest pop right on me.
Port, came back and it happen over and over again with tons of players zerging him.

Tested with MF gear and to my surprise Mobs/Bosses tend to focus me less.
Maybe im doing less dps due to my 120%+ MF gear therefore Mobs think that i’m less of a threat to them.

(edited by Jabronee.9465)

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

Yesterday I was playing with my normal non MF gear in Orr and within an hour I found the Exotic short bow, Drakevenom. I also found 2 rares. Why is this so messed up?

Posted by: Alana.3268

Alana.3268

Yesterday I purchased 7g worth of superior runes for MF and I had all of the mats to craft MF armor. This is the first time I have used MF gear (I have been playing since launch).

Since yesterday I got back all 7g plus I found about 3 or 4 yellows and one exotic in Orr. I would say it works out pretty nice. I also get a lot more drops than I did before.

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

I use MF for getting crafting materials, and for the most part (NOT charged lodestones), it works pretty decently. I haven’t noticed much of a difference in large scale events or dungeons though. I got 5 rares in one fractal set WITHOUT a magic find set, whereas other times I get just blues and greens while wearing a MF set. I also kept on wearing my mf set during fractal trash mobs to try and get a vial. The instant I said “ok, this isn’t helping” and switched to my main non-mf set, I got 2 vials of condensed mist within a few mins of each other. It was rather silly.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Posted by: Groovy.6749

Groovy.6749

ANet is generally great with dealing with most issues found in the game, except a select few that they just generally do not like talking about. This includes DR, MF, LFGs and culling. I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple of things as well so forgive me if I did.

So yeah, if your problem is about something else than these …“things”, then you’re in luck ! Otherwise, better get used to it cause them said “things” aren’t moving anywhere fast.

Still a great game.

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

I agree it’s still a great game, but I’m at that point that I need gold to start my Legendary, and for a game that doesn’t want you to ‘grind’, I’m stuck having to do 10x more ‘grinding’ than I ever had to before. They don’t want you to grind, but in order to do anythign past level 80 you have to grind to continue….Kind of an oxymoron.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I am over 100 and have no issue.

Which runes/sigils do you use, testing theory..

Posted by: Geeo.2154

Geeo.2154

Iv said it from the start that %mf gear bugged an useless, omnom bars and the sigil seem to increase the speed in finding rare’s but thats it.

The MF boost from the gem store on the hand is fantastic (unless it was pure RNG luck), both times i popped one of these i got two exotics from Vets and was pulling around 5 lodestones an hour (stacked with the omnom an sigil)

ibtiworkforanet, like i said it could have been luck with rng

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

So with the booster and everything else, MF is more towards 200%. If Geeo’s findings are the norm with that much, then it would seem you would need ~200% to actually get anything worthwhile. So who wants to test? Lol.

Geeo, what lodestones were these? Charged lodestones definitely have a way worse drop rate than corrupted lodestones outside of dungeons.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

Most probably he was farming Corrupted ones as they are quite farmable. When I try those with only peach tart I usually get 1 per 1.5h. With charged and close to 200% MF I… well, let’s say I dropped only 1 so far…

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

Posted by: kendokken.3257

kendokken.3257

My theory is: if Magic Find actually worked Anet would have nerfed it into the dirt already.

Posted by: Geeo.2154

Geeo.2154

Well i started farming the charged in malchor (arah was contested) and got one within 15min along with an exotic (both from the vets), then this became contested so i farmed corrupted for around 20min and got 3 of those, then went to arah with about 12min or so left and got another charged, pretty much the exact same thing with the other boost.

You say charged have a worse drop rate but with the omnom an sigil i usually get 2/hr of either lodestone, i just farm corrupted when the other places are contested because its easy

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

If you look at the price of lvl 80 gear on the TP MF stuff is almost always the cheepest apart from the sword of lameness type items
Based on supply vs demand it would seem that the market has spoken

What does MFdo?….not much and certainly not any thing worth giving up a stat for.

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

I had a day just like Geeo the other day, 2 charged lodestones in 30 minutes, 2 corrupted in about the same time, no exotics but a couple rares. Had around 200 magic find