Seriously massive marketing fail

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Today, gw2 was featured on the gamescon twitch and thousands were watching. This was an excellent chance for the devs to present exactly what guild wars 2 is and what they are doing with it, and how its different/better than other MMO’s. This should have been the plan. They absolutely slaughtered it for god knows why. The presentation was probably the worst ive ever seen. It was worth of r/cringe. It bascially looked like Anet made up a gameplan for what theyd do 30 seconds before they went out.

What followed was not a successful demonstration of gw2 but 75% loading times, extremely poor commentary, and a disorganized presentation of the game.

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/557643505 5:28:15

That will seriously kill the games potential playerbase, because 7000 people watched that, thought wait what?!?! and now their impression of the game will affect all of their friends so thats 10’s of thousands.

I feel very bad for whoever it was who had to go out there unprepared for whatever reason and try to present the game.

(edited by SkylightMoon.1980)

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Meh. The few people I knew who bought the game with me back at launch no longer play and the others I know who play MMO’s haven’t even heard of the game or don’t seen interested for a number of reasons.

The games biggest selling point is that it’s buy to play and even that tends to irk people who hate item malls. I have yet to meet someone in person who wasn’t actually tuned off by the whole “no trinity” idea. It seems so antithetical to MMO’s, and RPG’s in general, that it’s almost like trying to sell an FPS without any guns in it.

I feel like they milked their target audience as much as they can. They should focus on keeping us playing rather than trying to suck in more people who didn’t buy the game when it was hyped ~2 years ago.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Meh. The few people I knew who bought the game with me back at launch no longer play and the others I know who play MMO’s haven’t even heard of the game or don’t seen interested for a number of reasons.

The games biggest selling point is that it’s buy to play and even that tends to irk people who hate item malls. I have yet to meet someone in person who wasn’t actually tuned off by the whole “no trinity” idea. It seems so antithetical to MMO’s, and RPG’s in general, that it’s almost like trying to sell an FPS without any guns in it.

I feel like they milked their target audience as much as they can. They should focus on keeping us playing rather than trying to suck in more people who didn’t buy the game when it was hyped ~2 years ago.

i and my 5 friends enjoy the lack of a trinity. And it isnt really necessary in RPGS in general.

Posted by: Arzo.8671

Arzo.8671

Yeah, lack of trinity is nice because, unless you’re one of those 3, you’re not valued. Frankly, I’m surprised that people like the holy trinity. It’s very limiting.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Trinity might be one of the worst things to happen to this genre. I couldn’t get into most MMOs because of the trinity.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, it wasn’t their best effort. Lol. It did get a bit better as it went along….

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Yeah, lack of trinity is nice because, unless you’re one of those 3, you’re not valued. Frankly, I’m surprised that people like the holy trinity. It’s very limiting.

Healing is boring, tanking is frustrating, and going dps means waiting hours for a group. Then someone wipes out and the finger-pointing and rage-quits start, and you get to sit around another hour waiting for a new tank or healer. Fun times.

As for marketing, the game is two years old and sold millions of copies. There aren’t a lot of people out there who are in their target market who have not heard of or played the game already. As for the presentation, perhaps the guys who were supposed to do it weren’t able to go through for some reason, and those who did had a very brief time to prepare. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Substance E.4852

Except that games that have it that care about balance tend to make sure that the classes all fall into one of the roles.

i and my 5 friends enjoy the lack of a trinity. And it isnt really necessary in RPGS in general.

I didn’t say it was necessary, I said people in general tend to associate it with the genre just as people tend to associate a game without grind as a game without end game kitten many use a treadmill of ever growing power creep to keep people playing.

kitten = the words As and So next to one another, fix your kitten censorship Anet…

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I agree, trinities aren’t really required to make a game function – although they could do with re-looking how stats effect the game because support stats in PvE are useless.

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

=snip=

Same here and about 10+ guildies I know of….

On topic: the load time is indeed terrible on that demo x.x

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

SkylightMoon.1980

Don’t see what you’re on about substance. Its an amazing game that has a growing population. I think people have become skeptical of the exact nature of season 2 recently since Anet needs a break after a little over a month. The problem is how poorly they did on twitch. They don’t seem to be very good at marketing the game/dont want to. I don’t know. Its going to be hard to redeem that presentation.

Substance E.4852

Don’t see what you’re on about substance. Its an amazing game that has a growing population. I think people have become skeptical of the exact nature of season 2 recently since Anet needs a break after a little over a month. The problem is how poorly they did on twitch. They don’t seem to be very good at marketing the game/dont want to. I don’t know. Its going to be hard to redeem that presentation.

I’m not making a critique of the game. I simply stated why people I know and talked to (3 videogame/animation design schools worth of folks so no small pool of “gamers”) either stopped playing or weren’t interested in the first place and that the continued existence of such features in the game are probably going to hurt their hopes of attracting people who don’t like said features.

Basically, bungling a PR campaign isn’t really going to hurt them that bad when the majority of the MMO customer base has probably already made up their mind one way or another.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

Wow, that so embarrassing to watch…

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Try not to derail the topic about the trinity gameplay.

edit: I just watched the stream, and yes, it was very bad. The presenter looked really nervous, and it affected his presentation. It’s not really a big deal though. This is typical for shows like Gamescon or E3. The loading screens was really bad though. lol.

That presentation of the traits was deceptive too. He never mentioned the traits needed to be unlocked!

(edited by nexxe.7081)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I hate the trinity, and my friends who got the game and played with me on release and no longer play (except 1, out of 10~) don’t really care about that. They all say the same thing, which is that there’s no end game. There’s no version of end game that will hold them to playing. One used to log in a lot specifically just for Spvp but hasn’t anymore since the 5v5 only room patch began and lack of interest towards capture the point pvp, and then there’s the fact that Anet’s way of balancing things revolves entirely around nerfs and failure to fix bugs/broken traits. I haven’t quit GW2 but I pretty much quit Spvp myself because of those things.

Another one was very into immersion, town clothes and RP aspect of games and lasted longer than most but quit eventually due to that side of the game generally ignored. He also hated the way the LS was run and how it was temporary.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

SkylightMoon.1980

I’m not making a critique of the game. I simply stated why people I know and talked to (3 videogame/animation design schools worth of folks so no small pool of “gamers”) either stopped playing or weren’t interested in the first place and that the continued existence of such features in the game are probably going to hurt their hopes of attracting people who don’t like said features.

Basically, bungling a PR campaign isn’t really going to hurt them that bad when the majority of the MMO customer base has probably already made up their mind one way or another.

Thats really irrelevant to thsi post. The trinity. A game can be successful without it, gw2 is an example of this.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Define “successful”. If you mean “it will get published, distributed, and get a GOTY” then yes. If you mean “will last for 10 years” . . .

We’ll see. I’m not very optimistic.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Substance E.4852

Guys, stop talking about the merits of trinity. All options on it are subjective and without right or wrong and will accomplish nothing but getting the thread locked.

I used it as an example of why people I know weren’t interested in the game and posited that the lack of such a system may turn off people who have grown accustomed to it being part of the mmorpg genre as the vast majority of other games revolve around it.

I wish I hadn’t mentioned it to be honest since people can’t seem to separate the mention of “Holy Trinity” with an indictment of the game for not having it.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Are you surprised?
Anything marketing has been pretty terrible barring a video that most seem to find false.

Kind of embarrassed linking those.

SkylightMoon.1980

Are you surprised?
Anything marketing has been pretty terrible barring a video that most seem to find false.

Kind of embarrassed linking those.

Ye those are really two confusing marketing examples. I remember seeing those. The taxi one especially. They are catering the wrong audience completely, its ridiculous.

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

Today, gw2 was featured on the gamescon twitch and thousands were watching. This was an excellent chance for the devs to present exactly what guild wars 2 is and what they are doing with it, and how its different/better than other MMO’s. This should have been the plan. They absolutely slaughtered it for god knows why. The presentation was probably the worst ive ever seen. It was worth of r/cringe. It bascially looked like Anet made up a gameplan for what theyd do 30 seconds before they went out.

What followed was not a successful demonstration of gw2 but 75% loading times, extremely poor commentary, and a disorganized presentation of the game.

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/557643505 5:28:15

That will seriously kill the games potential playerbase, because 7000 people watched that, thought wait what?!?! and now their impression of the game will affect all of their friends so thats 10’s of thousands.

I feel very bad for whoever it was who had to go out there unprepared for whatever reason and try to present the game.

In the end, that twitch.tv daylong series of presentations will get thousands of views. It was a good opportunity for a presenter and driver, neither of whom knew each other well, to rehearse together in front of a live audience. The amazing and polished one — which you only get to by doing this a hundred times — would be the one to put in front of a million people. Guild Wars 2 is past the stage where a million people will be interested enough to look at anything. Only get that pre release (or by blowing a year’s ad budget for 30 seconds at the Super Bowl).

Agreed, the technical discussion looking at maps and loading screens meant a lot less than getting in and playing. And the pitch was the detached one you’d give another gaming developer, not the personal one which pulls a player in.

But this isn’t a disaster, just two more harried and tired guys doing a trade show on 4 hours sleep…

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Only really two of the three are really valued, because DPS is a common as chips. And healers are usually the most sought after, because no one actually wants to be a healer for its own sake.

Posted by: Azure Fang.8605

Azure Fang.8605

On the marketing and PR: I don’t thing I’ve seen any marketing for GW2 that has actually looked good except for the original SAB launch.

On trinity: I’m from EQ pre-Luclin… What’s trinity? Seriously though, trinity arguments are stupid as hell. There’s more to any MMO class balance than three roles, and any MMO based differently (yes, I mean WoW, I won’t sugarcoat it) is suffering from “generation first syndrome” and brand name fanaticism.

On OP: Troll harder. The WoW “Night elf Mohawk” PR stunt was worse than this. Stop with the hyperbolic doomsaying and get back to playing, or give me your stuff and “move to a more successful, multi-million seller”.

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

The Loading time is terrible in general not only on twitch and lot of topics was made about.I usually push Alt+Tab few times then loading comes faster.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

We’ll see. I’m not very optimistic.

I’m not very optimistic either. GW2 felt more like a single player by design, which usually don’t stay intriguing long after 2-3 years. This could just be a lack of expansion, but might also have to do with the semi-bland way I feel it was designed – it would’ve made a nice console game like God of War but it doesn’t feel like a MMO at all. With the lack of trinities and sufficient heals/prots, it’s mostly about evasive survival techniques which aren’t why people usually play MMOs.

It’s a good run, but ANet will need to make a 180 on their developmental and content philosophy to keep the majority of the playerbase; it might cause a few people to leave, but when you gain two customers for everyone that left – it’s profit.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

“oh loading screen…..erm……”
(30 seconds later)
“erm….classes…erm….”
(20 seconds later loading screen finishes)

ouch XD
this was indeed painful to watch
what happened to the anet guys from pre-release? they were uber good at this.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

That was terrible.

Chris Metzen got people incredibly hyped another time and released a cinematic.

What interesting about Guild Wars 2? Idk, game is still rolling, but….

That clearly shows that they aren’t going to announce an expansion at least for next 24 months. Big shame. It was perfect opportunity to load up big cannon and fire some hidden trailer.

Two years ago, Guild Wars 2 was chosen as game of the Gamescon 2012. Now, people barely noticed it. Because why would they?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

\With the lack of trinities and sufficient heals/prots, it’s mostly about evasive survival techniques which aren’t why people usually play MMOs.

This is hands-down one of the best things about this game. It promotes skill over gear. The only people who don’t like it are those who have to depend on someone else to heal them or to keep some other mob from killing them because they do poorly at active damage mitigation.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

\With the lack of trinities and sufficient heals/prots, it’s mostly about evasive survival techniques which aren’t why people usually play MMOs.

This is hands-down one of the best things about this game. It promotes skill over gear. The only people who don’t like it are those who have to depend on someone else to heal them or to keep some other mob from killing them because they do poorly at active damage mitigation.

This game plays more like a single player MMO than… theres little to no teamwork involved here compared to trinity based MMOs…

Especially true in majority of these Open world PvE events where you just go around spamming 1….
Also, i’d hardly call any of GW2’s PvE “skill based”….this content is catered for any casual to succeed and win, its pretty easy.. Ya you can challenge yourself soloing dungs/fracs, thats about it thou lol.

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

Wow, I felt really bad for the speaker. Watching and listening to that felt pretty bad. It looked like he was a bit pressured into doing the presentation instead of enjoying it xD Oh well, chance missed perhaps.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

meh i got bored and stopped watching.. i’ve been on this game for 2 years though..
i had no problem with his presentation, english probly isn’t his first language.. it’s Live, at an Event.. etc, honestly what did you want.. it wasn’t some cliche junk, just some guys doing their job

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Woah, this presentation was actually painfull to watch :/ I think the game actually would be better off without it

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

That was utterly PATHETIC. Dear lord.

Posted by: Gdb.3492

Gdb.3492

It just REFLECTS what the game is ITSELF! So Nothing we didn’t know yet also my 10 years old sister would have prepared a better presentation! Stop making Guild Wars 2 players ashamed and start rolling out something that seriously deserve to be PLAYED.
End of story.

(edited by Gdb.3492)

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

My Facepalm Per Second rate went up the roof

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

I had always thought that all the money in GW2 went to marketing as opposed to game development, but apparently marketing is just as rid of resources as the rest of the game!

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

The last time they tried to do marketing "The Manifesto" happened, glad they stopped.

No, limiting is reducing all classes to pretty much press 1 and go AFK.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

(edited by Spiuk.8421)

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

GW2 is a game that tried to do many innovative things at once, focusing more on quantity than quality, and once it was launched, there was not enough budget to improve all those new things in a timely manner.

I believe that, after 2 years, the mmo playerbase is already aware of what GW2 is, of what it could have been, and what it won’t be.

Posted by: Spirigo.2897

Spirigo.2897

Except that games that have it that care about balance tend to make sure that the classes all fall into one of the roles.

I didn’t say it was necessary, I said people in general tend to associate it with the genre just as people tend to associate a game without grind as a game without end game kitten many use a treadmill of ever growing power creep to keep people playing.

kitten = the words As and So next to one another, fix your kitten censorship Anet…

What games? Just tell me.

In every MMO there are legions of people kittening about balance and trinity is more of a side effect of MMO combat than the essence of it.

I mean, there is nothing fun about waiting hours for a group because you need a healer, having to roll a healer if you want to make enough money for all the good stuff and only being able to roll a tank if you have no life whatsoever because the kitten thing needs the best possible gear to stay relevant. Oh, you want to DPS huh? Prepare to fiercely compete with about a million other wise guys who want the same.

The biggest downfall of GW2 imo was the unreal hype it generated. People actually believed that it would become the best and most popular game in the world for some reason even though it obviously wasn’t going to be.

(edited by Spirigo.2897)

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

The loading screens were terrible… but didnt they even check to put their avatar in the right zone first? The guy had just been doing spvp? LOL that German needs a backhand from management.

And why dry top? The MOST boring zone in the game so far.. good one , fellas!

Haha /facepalm

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

GW2 is a game that tried to do many innovative things at once, focusing more on quantity than quality, and once it was launched, there was not enough budget to improve all those new things in a timely manner.

I believe that, after 2 years, the mmo playerbase is already aware of what GW2 is, of what it could have been, and what it won’t be.

This, nothing else to say ^.

even 150k won’t get you outta this… pick a focus…

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

What ever happened to Colin? Wasn’t he supposed to be the big public face of GW2?
He must be busy and he can’t be everywhere to promote the game, but judging from the forum, he hasn’t been very active lately.

As for the marketing failure, this isn’t the first time.
Manifesto is the best example.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The problem isn’t the presentation, it’s that the game, minus lion arch, Dry Top and EOTM, has pretty much the same content as on release. Most of the Living Story was removed, SAB was removed, the healing skills that were added are not used by anyone, no offensive skills were added, no class were added, etc. Basically no expansions were released and the game is starting to look old. Obviously because of that the excitement is gone and what we get is a generic “well this is the game blablabla”.

It’s not the 300g for a new tag color that will breath new life into this game or 25% of an explorable area. They better wake up and release real content.

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

Tradeshows seem to be a crapshoot. You either have a really amazing presentation where everything goes smoothly, there are no crashes, and you get to show your game off in the best possible light. Then the interwebs is abuzz about how awesome your game was.

Or this sort of thing happens. Technical hitches, unprepared speakers without a script and no ‘new’ special thing to show the veterans. Even if they just showed something cool from the feature update most of us would have been quite satisfied.

Missed opportunity there and ANet knows it. kittenit, your game is literally the best MMO on the market but you sure wouldn’t think it from looking from the outside.

GW2 is like a bleached blonde supermodel. Attractive on the outside but you assume a lack of substance and superficiality. Then when you get to know her you realize she is the one in a billion. (Sorry i think i broke the record for stretched analogies)

(edited by Noobix.3958)

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

That Dry Top one cements my decision to continue ignoring the LS.

Apart from that, why did he map to the Skritt maze place. Nice choice. You forget the MMO part? I’m lucky if I’ve ever bumped into 2 people at the skillpoint.

Caledon Forest, Queensdale, Kessex (no wait, ugly now), Diessa, Norn starting zone (northern parts)….The list is endless of WP’s to pick where there would be people and have good looking scenery. Instead, they pick a Skritt cave with limited players. Did they just get this guy off the street?

It’s said as a joke but things like this really make you wonder if Anet actually even do play their own game.

Granted I watched with the sound off but one sure as hell thing I would have done with my pathetic 11 toons is park at least one in an interesting place before I was due to do a presentation so thousands of people don’t have to watch me fanny about in ugly boring looking areas.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Not sure why you say this. The manifesto tricked tons of people into buying the game. It was a massive marketing win.

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

I regret I watched it. This screams ‘Stay Away!’.

Leman

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

What ever happened to Colin? Wasn’t he supposed to be the big public face of GW2?
He must be busy and he can’t be everywhere to promote the game, but judging from the forum, he hasn’t been very active lately.

I disagree. It was obviously this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4R5Q0ZOTa8
The video theme had nothing to do with GW2. lol.