Server capacity increased again?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mishandia.2087

Mishandia.2087

Hi, only a simple question : has the server capacity been increased again today?
I see many medium servers today.

Many THX =)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Heh, I have no clue what the answer to this is but it does amuse me how optimistic GW2 players are compared to other MMOs.

Other MMO player: “All the servers are Medium now. The game is dying!”
GW Player: “All the servers are Medium now. They must have increased server capacity!”

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

GW Player: “All the servers are Medium now. They must have increased server capacity!”

Devs did stated that server population is only depended on the account number that’s tied to the server, not actual online players. So yeah, if the population display decreased, then they must have increased the capacity, but on the other hand, even if GW2 is dying, we players wouldn’t know.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

They increased capacity yesterday. US servers suddenly changed from all Very High to 4 Medium, 1 High and the rest stayed Very High.

At the exact same time, EU server capacity was also increased.

I imagine it’s in readiness for the upcoming free trial weekend, they did the same for the Lost Shores weekend.

Tolmos.8395

Devs did stated that server population is only depended on the account number that’s tied to the server, not actual online players. So yeah, if the population display decreased, then they must have increased the capacity, but on the other hand, even if GW2 is dying, we players wouldn’t know.

OH YEA. I forgot about that. Thanks for clarifying that.

Posted by: Mishandia.2087

Mishandia.2087

Thanks for the replies.
Glad to see Guild Wars doing very well =)

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Or that the people that transferred to medium population servers with the recent free transfers took advantage of their ability to go back to their original server for free and did so.

Not saying that I am right, but not sure we can say you are right either. It just is what it is.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

All at the same exact time? In both US and EU?
Highly improbable.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

All at the same exact time? In both US and EU?
Highly improbable.

Did that happen? I didn’t read that anywhere. Sorry if I missed it.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Devs did stated that server population is only depended on the account number that’s tied to the server, not actual online players.

They’ve also stated the exact opposite. At this point I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The values don’t vary enough to be based on “currently online”, but they also vary too much to be based on “accounts tied to server”.

As for the current state, an Anet employee apparently mentioned yesterday that they had temporarily raised the population caps as a workaround for an issue they were having. I say apparently because the post was later edited and no longer mentions anything about population caps.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Many THX =)

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Hi, only a simple question : has the server capacity been increased again today?

Many THX =)

Due to a number of servers approaching full with a recent influx of new players from the sale on Gw2 that just ended, the server capacity was recently increased for a number of servers yes.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Wow! Awesome, glad to see this game is doing very well. Very rare that an MMO has to increase capacity (either on servers itself, or adding new servers) 7 months after launching the game. Most mmo’s descreased the number of servers by now.

Tolmos.8395

Many THX =)

Due to a number of servers approaching full with a recent influx of new players from the sale on Gw2 that just ended, the server capacity was recently increased for a number of servers yes.

You guy should pick 2 or 3 of the heavy population servers, the ones that are ridiculous compared to others (like Tarnished Coast), and start working towards expanding the population of individual zones, as well. It’s awesome that these servers can hold so many people, but less awesome that between the local residents AND guests many of the more popular zones end up in overflow constantly for those servers.

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

More than likely they have less players playing, which allowed them to “increase” the server capacity. Otherwise they would have set the maximum size earlier.

But I’m sure I’ll get infracted again for stating that. Its a biased forum run here, that distorts the truth.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

More than likely they have less players playing, which allowed them to “increase” the server capacity. Otherwise they would have set the maximum size earlier.

But I’m sure I’ll get infracted again for stating that. Its a biased forum run here, that distorts the truth.

I’m from Tarnished Coast and we’re busy as hell, and they’ve increased our server size. Try again.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

The truth? The TRUTH?

“You can’t handle the truth.”

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

except that it’s not what we’re witnessing. I had to ask a player are they a bot recently while leveling in low level zones again. They weren’t. They were just a really bad player. Why bad? Because they’re new to the game. Underworld is constantly getting new players. And higher level zones are still pretty busy with old ones. So your “truth” is only true to you.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Many THX =)

That is an encouraging thing to hear