"Server time"

"Server time"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bufnitza.3284

Bufnitza.3284

Q:

Hello,

I was playing with the clock settings in the options today and I noticed that you can show the current time on the minimap (yes, I know I’m late to the party).

This made me ponder about event reset timers (such as for the “Daily” achievement or the time when the guild gets rep for members who logged in) and was assuming they happened at 0:00 server time. However, I don’t understand one thing. My home realm is european, but the “Server time” is still in the PST timezone (GMT-8). Does this mean that events reset at 8:00 GMT?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

"Server time"

Posted by: Svev.7152

Svev.7152

Server Time in GW2 is +12 UTC/GMT . Hope i could answer your question so i could post the right time on my Enjin Website and help you and others cos i was looking for this info as well and couldnt find it anywhere .

Svev of OMEN

"Server time"

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here are some reset times:

Daily

00:00 UTC (17:00 UTC-7) — Advances login rewards
00:00 UTC (17:00 UTC-7) — Resets daily achievements; certain objects respawn: chests (e.g. from Jumping Puzzles, except for those in World versus World), and event-related interactive objects (Carving Pumpkin, Magic Snow).
00:00 UTC (17:00 UTC-7) — Resets diminishing returns for repeated completions of the same dungeon paths.

Weekly

Friday ~18:00 UTC (11:00 UTC-7) — World versus World reset for EU servers. (The exact time varies from week to week.)
Saturday ~01:00 UTC (18:00 UTC-7) — World versus World reset for NA servers. (The exact time varies from week to week.)
Sunday 00:00 UTC (17:00 UTC-7) — Guild mission rewards reset.

"Server time"

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

As was stated above, Server Time is UTC time. Daily reset is at 00:00 UTC (which is 5pm PST, 7pm Central, 8pm Eastern in the US, until Daylight Saving Time happens).

"Server time"

Inculpatus cedo.9234

As was stated above, Server Time is UTC time. Daily reset is at 00:00 UTC (which is 5pm PST, 7pm Central, 8pm Eastern in the US, until Daylight Saving Time happens).

I think you mean until Daylight Saving Time is over. =P (It’s now 5pm PDT.)

Then, the US times will all move back one hour.

"Server time"

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

It’s worth noting the reset times don’t change with daylight savings. For example the daily achievements reset is always midnight GMT, so when daylight savings ends, it’ll appear to happen an hour earlier as a result. I’ve seen people caught out by this every autumn, thinking they have an hour longer to get their dailies done than they actually have.

"Server time"

RoseofGilead.8907

I think you mean until Daylight Saving Time is over. =P (It’s now 5pm PDT.)

Then, the US times will all move back one hour.

Yeah, until it ends. Crazy time!

"Server time"

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Did someone actually answer a 2 year old thread or did the forum break?

"Server time"

RoseofGilead.8907

Did someone actually answer a 2 year old thread or did the forum break?

lolol You’re right; 2 year old thread. Guess someone did necro it.

"Server time"

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

Oops. Oh well, there’s plenty of new players around, I’m sure it’ll be useful to someone.

"Server time"

Posted by: hurp.9851

hurp.9851

Daily

00:00 UTC (17:00 UTC-7) — Resets daily achievements; certain objects respawn: chests (e.g. from Jumping Puzzles, except for those in World versus World), and event-related interactive objects (Carving Pumpkin, Magic Snow).
00:00 UTC (17:00 UTC-7) — Resets diminishing returns for repeated completions of the same dungeon paths.

Weekly

Friday ~18:00 UTC (11:00 UTC-7) — World versus World reset for EU servers. (The exact time varies from week to week.)
Saturday ~01:00 UTC (18:00 UTC-7) — World versus World reset for NA servers. (The exact time varies from week to week.)

Why is this post giving UTC-7 as an alternate time expression? Is there some reason to think that GW2 players, or gamers, or people in general benefit from hearing schedules in that particular time offset?

"Server time"

RoseofGilead.8907

This thread is from almost five years ago, last post being from almost two years ago. :p

"Server time"

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Daily

Weekly

Why is this post giving UTC-7 as an alternate time expression? Is there some reason to think that GW2 players, or gamers, or people in general benefit from hearing schedules in that particular time offset?

Because it was copied from the Wiki, that adjusts to one’s own time zone. I suppose I should have removed the adjustment; I probably didn’t understand the API back then. Also, the original 4+ year-old post asked about UTC (PT). Not that anyone cares about a really old post/thread like this.

My apologies.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

"Server time"

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Don’t apologize; your post was fine.

Some people are family with the UTC convention; some would figure it out from the context; and finally, someone did respond with the translation for those who aren’t familiar or couldn’t figure it out on their own.

I would hope to see an apology from someone who singled out one of the posts from September 2015 without noticing any of the others, just for the sake of lodging a complaint. If the respondent didn’t think it was helpful, then they could have offered their own explanation. Or better yet, they could have paid attention to the warning that stated this post was old and simply cancelled the response.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

"Server time"

Posted by: hurp.9851

hurp.9851

Illconceived Was Na.9781, is this the post you’re referring to as a “complaint?” Try re-reading it; it’s actually a straightforward question about an unclear detail. Neither is failing to “notice any of the other” posts an applicable characterization — none of the other posts answer the question of why that particular time offset was cited. You’re right though that the citer has no need to apologize.

I’m completely fascinated by your admonition about not having “paid attention to the warning.” What was warned against, exactly? What are the potential consequences that merit such caution?

"Server time"

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Again, the OP asked about ‘Server Time’ which is Pacific Time. His/her post asked during Standard Time; my initial post was during Daylight Saving Time (the difference between UTC -8 and UTC -7).

Again, that, and all subsequent posts are considered ‘necro posts’, which are against Forum Rules.

I’m not sure why this thread is still active, to be honest.

Good luck.

"Server time"

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781, is this the post you’re referring to as a “complaint?” Try re-reading it; it’s actually a straightforward question about an unclear detail. Neither is failing to “notice any of the other” posts an applicable characterization — none of the other posts answer the question of why that particular time offset was cited. You’re right though that the citer has no need to apologize.

I’m completely fascinated by your admonition about not having “paid attention to the warning.” What was warned against, exactly? What are the potential consequences that merit such caution?

I’m completely fascinated that you think this thread merited any attention at all, that you felt the need to criticize a year-old post for using jargon, when that jargon had been explained a year before you posted.

When you first tried to post in this thread, you were told that it was old and asked to think twice about adding to it — that’s the “warning”. (Maybe “notified” would have a better word choice.)

Are there consequences? No, not really, except that it looks silly to a lot of people when someone responds after 12 months to a question that was previously addressed satisfactorily. (Although moderators will add infraction points for people who routinely resurrect old posts — I doubt that would apply in your case.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”