Server transfer cost - a reason to leave

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cribbage.2056

Cribbage.2056

I took a break a month ago due to being bored of the same old, same old tPvP maps and team comps. I thought I would come back today and see if I could regain some interest.

While I was away, my guild transferred to a new server. And now apparently it will cost me 1800 gems to follow them. That’s an extortionate price for something that used to be free. It can’t possibly reflect the effort required by Anet to perform the transfer.

So now I will leave because (a) I cannot play with my friends and (b) Anet have just shown themselves to be either a lot more desperate for revenue or a lot less caring of their players than I thought.

Can you have my stuff? Yes you can. Enjoy your 2 silver pieces and ball of fluff.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

You didn’t hear about guesting I guess

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

Well, goodbye. I’ll take the 2s.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Do you realize that transfers were always meant to be paid ever since the beginning and the free ones were temporary?
Not that Anet is adamant on their word but on this one you can’t blame it on them, they’ve been coherent.

I’d actually be disappointed if they decided to leave transfers free and let the bandwagoning run WvW.

Posted by: Tinboy.7954

Tinboy.7954

…. 1800 gems is barely anything for a server transfer. It’s not like you are server hopping, it’s a one time thing. Surprised you are even complaining cause that is like the least of anyone’s worries.

Also, I don’t see implementing a cost in server transfers as a revenue scheme. This is just there to prevent people from server hopping which is good imo.

Cribbage.2056

Interesting response since you do not know me. I would guess my friends will miss me, some already said they would, and Anet is going to miss a paying customer, since I have bought plenty of gems in the past for things I considered worthwhile.

Out of interest, is your antagonistic reply due to you being a supporter of the new server transfer costs, or did you just make it out of random petty spite because you are able to do so anonymously on the internet?

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

Well, transfer was never meant to be free. They decided to make it so after launch to equalize a bit server population, and communicated about it. Then they communicated about the transfer stopping being free. Then you showed up.
Sorry, but not ANet fault here, man.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I took a break a month ago due to being bored of the same old, same old tPvP maps and team comps. I thought I would come back today and see if I could regain some interest.

While I was away, my guild transferred to a new server. And now apparently it will cost me 1800 gems to follow them. That’s an extortionate price for something that used to be free. It can’t possibly reflect the effort required by Anet to perform the transfer.

So now I will leave because (a) I cannot play with my friends and (b) Anet have just shown themselves to be either a lot more desperate for revenue or a lot less caring of their players than I thought.

Can you have my stuff? Yes you can. Enjoy your 2 silver pieces and ball of fluff.

Except for it was been known since before the game was going to release that Transfers were going to cost shortly after the game released. They started it off being free to let people move around and get settled, but then there was an issue with their guesting feature and they didn’t want to start charging for transfers till the Guesting feature was ready. They even talked about the possible pricing before the game launched, and it was always going to be a high price to transfer to a very high server, and a low price to transfer to a low server.

This was not a desperate act, it was in fact something that has always been planned and talked about since before the game launched. Also, it is healthy for the WvWvW portion of the game to charge for transfers, otherwise people will just move around to the winning servers.

Cribbage.2056

You didn’t hear about guesting I guess

Guesting is not a good option for people who want to WvW.

Gisei.5749

If they were such good friends, how did you disappear for a month, and not get informed of the server switch?

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Cribbage.2056

…. 1800 gems is barely anything for a server transfer. It’s not like you are server hopping, it’s a one time thing. Surprised you are even complaining cause that is like the least of anyone’s worries.

Also, I don’t see implementing a cost in server transfers as a revenue scheme. This is just there to prevent people from server hopping which is good imo.

Hardly anything? It’s about £15-20 which is about half the cost of an entire game or two months subs of a paid MMO.

I know server transfers were always intended to be paid service, and actually support that. But £15 is an order of magnitude over priced.

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

I mean you could just pay the 20 bucks, make it back in an hour at wherever you work and enjoy playing the game………

eisberg.2379

Hardly anything? It’s about £15-20 which is about half the cost of an entire game or two months subs of a paid MMO.

I know server transfers were always intended to be paid service, and actually support that. But £15 is an order of magnitude over priced.

Yet lower priced then the industry standard. If it was at industry standard for transfers, it would cost 2400 Gems. Like said, it is only 1800 Gems for very high servers, it gets lower for less populated servers, which is something that is not industry standard. Plus not to mention the games with subs still charge for transfers, and are higher price then GW2.

Posted by: Katlan.6301

Katlan.6301

They gave two weeks notice before they turned off free transfers. If you followed the game at any length then you would have noticed this since they announced it all over the place, including on the launcher.

Moreover, it doesn’t sound like Anet’s fault at all, this is more on your “friends.” They could have easily notified you that they moved servers and that free server transfers were coming to an end.

My guild ended up moving also, and we also have some “friends” who no longer play even somewhat regularly. But we contacted them via vent, IM, ect… to let them know we were moving so that they could move before the free transfers were over. Did we contact everyone in the guild who no longer plays? No. But we did go out of our way to inform our “friends.”

Sounds like you are pointing the finger at the wrong people here just because umad

Gisei.5749

And a follow up to my earlier question.

If they are your friends and want to play with you, I’m sure it wouldn’t be any trouble to run an AC and CoF for money, then each donates their profit to you for gems. 5 runs would be a good 20g. That’s what? 1k gems?

Heck, if someone from my Guild got stuck on another server, and I cared about them at all, my guildies and I would gladly accumulate the money for a transfer.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Cribbage.2056

If they were such good friends, how did you disappear for a month, and not get informed of the server switch?

They are GW2 buddies. I don’t generally give out my contact information to anyone in games unless I have some other RL reason for wanting to be in contact with them. While not in the game, they had no way to contact me.

It’s kinda amusing that you are trying to argue a case for noone missing me in game. Is that really an argument you think is worth pursuing with a complete stranger? You’ve got no idea how many in game friends I have or what my relationship with them is, so any argument you will make will be based on no knowledge at all. I’ll be interested to see if you nevertheless barrel ahead with it.

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

Free server transfers was bad for the game. People jumped servers on a constant basis leaving some servers stagnate if you will.

There was also no real sense of a community on most servers, which is something that is needed I believe to make a player feel like their server matters.

Plus you had a fair amount of warning to switch to the server you wanted before they locked free transfers.

Next time try keeping up with the game that you just bought, that way you know what’s happening to the game, which you could have done by visiting this website.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Gisei.5749

They are GW2 buddies. I don’t generally give out my contact information to anyone in games unless I have some other RL reason for wanting to be in contact with them. While not in the game, they had no way to contact me.

It’s kinda amusing that you are trying to argue a case for noone missing me in game. Is that really an argument you think is worth pursuing with a complete stranger? You’ve got no idea how many in game friends I have or what my relationship with them is, so any argument you will make will be based on no knowledge at all. I’ll be interested to see if you nevertheless barrel ahead with it.

Don’t get mad. Was a genuine question. Your answer is Fair Enough. And now I have asked a second one to boot.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Cribbage.2056

And a follow up to my earlier question.

If they are your friends and want to play with you, I’m sure it wouldn’t be any trouble to run an AC and CoF for money, then each donates their profit to you for gems. 5 runs would be a good 20g. That’s what? 1k gems?

Heck, if someone from my Guild got stuck on another server, and cared about them at all, my guildies and I would gladly accumulate the money for a transfer.

I’d say there is a bit of a gulf between saying they will miss me and saying they will pine so badly they decide to organise charity events to keep me in the game. Lol, in 10 years of MMOs I’ve never once seen any group of players do such a thing for anyone.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Interesting response since you do not know me. I would guess my friends will miss me…

If they’re truly your friends, why didn’t they tell you they were moving to a new server while it was still free?

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

gold to gems…if you trully have friends then they should help you with some gold, stop trying to act as a victim or trying to make this issue like if its a problem because is not, go and complaint why Dethra still bug sometimes in AC or Invisible army, because this thing ‘’server transfer’’ isnt a problem or issue or nuisance.

I took an arrow to the knee

Cribbage.2056

Don’t get mad. Was a genuine question. And I have asked a second one to boot.

Not mad mate, genuinely amused.

It’s one of the more comedic sides of the internet when you see people trying to prove such sweeping and general points and “Noone will miss you!” about someone they know nothing about. By all means, if you think there is mileage in this line of discussion, do carry on.

However, I guess I need to say for the benefit of the mods, this thread was intended to spark a discussion of whether 1800 gems is an appropriate price for server transfers, given that it has driven at least one player from the game. The discussion of whether I have any friends is an unexpected side-benefit. Lol.

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Makes thread about taking a month long break from the game.

Comes back finds guild left game free transfers ended.

Guesting and end of free transfers announced here: January 16th
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guesting-is-coming/

Now its Anets fault rofl cause you didn’t go to the website, the wiki, reddit.

Riiight

Just ask ask friends for gold convert to gems transfer.

1800 gems is fine they most have jumped to a high pop server. The price depends on server population.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

You should of checked website every now and then. no subscription to this game, u coulda logged in at any time and spent 1-2 minutes of your time to switch servers before they locked them. There was plenty of time to do so from the announcement.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Tinboy.7954

I do not see why you quoted them as friends then. Some people I game with I still contact with them and I do not contact them in RL. We never said give them your phone numbers or anything, there is so many ways to contact through the internet without your contact information. Just a few ones I use are:

Steam
Ventrilo
Guild Website
X-Fire (I don’t use this one but a lot of people still do)

eisberg.2379

1800 Gems is an appropriate price for transferring to a very high server, for the reasons already stated.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Guess what, world keeps spinning even without you. Game is changing, and you didnt keep up with news. You didnt log in once a week to check out what your guild is doing, you never looked at forums or announcments…so what do you expect? Should ANet say: “oh sry man we didnt know you are uninformed, here have a free transfer”.
If you are leaving game just do so, dont make pointless drama on forums.

Cribbage.2056

gold to gems…if you trully have friends then they should help you with some gold, stop trying to act as a victim or trying to make this issue like if its a problem because is not, go and complaint why Dethra still bug sometimes in AC or Invisible army, because this thing ‘’server transfer’’ isnt a problem or issue or nuisance.

When my guild wanted a commander for WvW it took the whole lot of us to contribute to raise the 100g. Gold might be of inconsequential value to some of you, but to people like me who mainly PvP and never step foot inside a dungeon, it’s not as easily come by.

Cribbage.2056

I do not see why you quoted them as friends then. Some people I game with I still contact with them and I do not contact them in RL. We never said give them your phone numbers or anything, there is so many ways to contact through the internet without your contact information. Just a few ones I use are:

Steam
Ventrilo
Guild Website
X-Fire (I don’t use this one but a lot of people still do)

Rather than debate the many and varied meanings of “Friend” with you, and then defend my own approach to friendship against yours, I will draw your attention to context. The guy said “noone will miss you,” whereas quite a few will miss me and already missed me in my month break. If you wanna say “that’s not friendship, that’s just people in an MMO who like to play with you” go right ahead.

Gisei.5749

Don’t get mad. Was a genuine question. And I have asked a second one to boot.

Not mad mate, genuinely amused.

It’s one of the more comedic sides of the internet when you see people trying to prove such sweeping and general points and “Noone will miss you!” about someone they know nothing about. By all means, if you think there is mileage in this line of discussion, do carry on.

However, I guess I need to say for the benefit of the mods, this thread was intended to spark a discussion of whether 1800 gems is an appropriate price for server transfers, given that it has driven at least one player from the game. The discussion of whether I have any friends is an unexpected side-benefit. Lol.

And I find it comedic you assume I was trying to prove that point. Do continue making such assumptions. If you have not given out your information, then that’s a good enough reason.

Then I’ll state my opinion clearly. If your “friends” cannot take a few hours of their game time to help a guildie, then they are not worth your time.

I have no idea what your 10yrs of experience has been like, nor do I know what kind of gamers you choose to surround yourself with, but I have never NOT been in a guild for a more than a few days where the guildies refuse to help each other out.

And to remain on topic, and to stray from offering solutions, I believe 1800 gems is too cheap. A couple days worth of of effort can amass the gold needed for that.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

(edited by Gisei.5749)

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

The OP is filled with drama here.

Friends will miss me, Anet doesn’t care about me, Transfer fee is reason for me to stop playing, Anet will lose me as a customer. Me makes thread about me being uninformed and possibly leaving the game so people can discuss me leaving the game (terribly disguised as a thread about transfer fee)

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Cribbage.2056

Guess what, world keeps spinning even without you. Game is changing, and you didnt keep up with news. You didnt log in once a week to check out what your guild is doing, you never looked at forums or announcments…so what do you expect? Should ANet say: “oh sry man we didnt know you are uninformed, here have a free transfer”.

Yes indeed. I believe it is safe to say the world will keep spinning if I don’t play GW2. The world will spin on serenely if noone at all plays it.

No I didn’t log in once a week. I didn’t keep up with news and hence I missed the chance to transfer for free. My bad. However, if there is ever a reason to transfer from this point on to another server, it will still coos 1800 gems, and my point about it being too expensive is still my point.

Cribbage.2056

The OP is filled with drama here.

Friends will miss me, Anet doesn’t care about me, Transfer fee is reason for me to stop playing, Anet will lose me as a customer. Me makes thread about me being uninformed and possibly leaving the game so people can discuss me leaving the game (terribly disguised as a thread about transfer fee)

Lol please re-read. Filled with drama? The whole line of discussion about friends only came about because 2-3 people thought “Noone will miss you” was a worthwhile contribution to the thread. I said nothing about it in my original post.

And as for Anet caring about players, I think you will find Anet would claim they do. Any company that professes not to care about its customers would be surprising.

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

I’d say there is a bit of a gulf between saying they will miss me and saying they will pine so badly they decide to organise charity events to keep me in the game. Lol, in 10 years of MMOs I’ve never once seen any group of players do such a thing for anyone.

When my guild wanted a commander for WvW it took the whole lot of us to contribute to raise the 100g. Gold might be of inconsequential value to some of you, but to people like me who mainly PvP and never step foot inside a dungeon, it’s not as easily come by.

So they’ll raise 100 gold for a commander tag but not 10g for a friend to transfer servers? But I thought that you hadn’t seen such charity…I guess you meant real charity as opposed to vanity charity. O’well.

To answer your specific concerns…I believe that the server transfer costs are appropriate.

This sentence is false.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

They always said that it would eventually cost money at some point. The point at which they added guesting sounds like a logical time to add cost to server transfer. It will have the added benefit of stabilizing server populations to some extent. The ability to freely transfer coupled with multi-guilding doesn’t really contribute to strong communities.

There are some great reasons to ragequit but this isn’t one of them.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Yes indeed. I believe it is safe to say the world will keep spinning if I don’t play GW2. The world will spin on serenely if noone at all plays it.

No I didn’t log in once a week. I didn’t keep up with news and hence I missed the chance to transfer for free. My bad. However, if there is ever a reason to transfer from this point on to another server, it will still coos 1800 gems, and my point about it being too expensive is still my point.

Did you check other games fee’s for transfer? Like ones where you pay monthly fee and you are still expected to pay more than that for transfer. And it was free so far only due to technical reasons, it was planned to be paid from start.

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

Interesting response since you do not know me. I would guess my friends will miss me, some already said they would, and Anet is going to miss a paying customer, since I have bought plenty of gems in the past for things I considered worthwhile.

If you were even the least bit interested in WvW or your friends, you would have known that the paid transfers were coming in for the last month, they gave us plenty of warning. It was mentioned several times in several of the official blog posts about the game, which are emailed directly to your personal email. I know even if I’d quit, was halfway up a mountain in Siberia with half a bar of internet on my phone, I’d at least read those.

Guesting means you can play with them on PvE, and practice without them in WvW while you save up the in-game gold which you need to save up to be able to transfer for free. It doesn’t take very long to save up the 20 or 30 gold you’ll need to buy those gems, so you’ll just have to suck it up. Your friends can either help you with the gold grind, or mail you gold to help you avoid it.

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

First off, this is how it was suppose to be implemented at launch since we were expected to have Guesting in place but we didnt. If you go back to old topics, you will see tons of “when will free server transfer be over?” (I for one made 1 such post out of many) because all knew that it wouldnt last long. Anet did us the favor to extend it so people can get into the same server as your friends before making it official to pay.

Second, Seeing as you dont read posts or new events/patches, you didnt know about guesting. Just because you left the game for a break, doesnt mean you cant check the forums/blogs to see upcoming changes. Takes no more than 10 mins to figure out payment for server change was coming so you could have just switch server before patch and then go back to your break.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

That doesnt even make sense, my core argument cannot be refused, period.

I took an arrow to the knee

Cribbage.2056

Riiight

1800 gems is fine they most have jumped to a high pop server. The price depends on server population.

Sorry man, but despite you heaping on the derision, you do appear to have not read (or not understood) how guesting works. It’s not the same as transferring, and will not serve for people who want to participate fully in their guild.

Cribbage.2056

That doesnt even make sense, my core argument cannot be refused, period.

Your core argument being that someone else should pay the transfer fee for me? Yeah, sure, that’s an irrefutable point without a doubt.

It’s a real eye-opener to know that apparently I am the only person in the world who doesn’t think that for anything under £20, you can just hit up your friends and get them to pay. Going to the cinema must be a whole lot cheaper for you than for me!

Tinboy.7954

Riiight

Sorry man, but despite you heaping on the derision, you do appear to have not read (or not understood) how guesting works. It’s not the same as transferring, and will not serve for people who want to participate fully in their guild.

Maybe read his post before replying. He never told you to guest.

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

It’s 10g! You could make that in no time or in the least get 10 members to chip in 1g apiece and pay them back after your transfer. Seriously! Are you really that upset about this that you can’t see the simple solutions right in front of you?

Heck, I’ll send you 1g just to get you started.

This sentence is false.

Cribbage.2056

Riiight

Maybe read his post before replying. He never told you to guest.

Given that the point I could have read the news and known about the server transfer had already been made, what point is he making then?

Gisei.5749

It’s 10g! You could make that in no time or in the least get 10 members to chip in 1g apiece and pay them back after your transfer. Seriously! Are you really that upset about this that you can’t see the simple solutions right in front of you?

Closer to 36g

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

Cribbage, you’re coming off very badly in this thread. You have the demeanor of someone who just came here to start an argument. You are calling posts antagonistic that are simply explanatory. You just don’t agree with them.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Cribbage.2056

1g is 50 gems mate. That’s 36g for 1800 gems I assume. I don’t know if you get some kinda discount for buying in larger amounts.

Please bare in mind:

Gems buy gold.
Real money buys gems.

That means that gold has a real money value. Hitting my guild mates up for gold is not much different from hitting them up for real money, even though the currency system disguises the fact.

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

I actually think its a very fair price….

Pay it or don’t, up to you, no need to go on endlessly about it.

Posted by: Katlan.6301

Katlan.6301

wow people are still feeding this troll? move along people, move along… when you stop responding to the baby troll they vanish

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Like others have said this was known for quite some time. Also 1800 isn’t that expensive if it was too cheap everyone would just stack wvw servers