Server transfers and the lack of transparancy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ryokoseigo.6107

ryokoseigo.6107

Server transfers need to properly explain the things you will lose access to when you transfer.
This includes All guild unlocks of a guilds you own, loss of access to all guild bank items

The fact this isn’t in the transfer warning is just kind of ridiculous… So now I have to either spend 1600 or so gems to transfer back, wait a week, get items, transfer again, wait a week, to actually play WvW and get my items from my bank or give up on my items(something like 300g in items) Which of course will be slaughtered by the 1600 gems needed to make the trades.

Had I known this was going to happen I would have prepared for it, but there were no warnings in your blog post about transfers, or in-game that insinuated this would happen, that is a problem.

So at the end of the day, I was going to start playing WvW again now that the new tournament started, but instead I’m so irritated that I’m just going to be not playing the game at all for the next weeks…
(yes I know the alternative is to get someone to mail me the items, which would have been great if my friend hadn’t transferred with me….)

(edited by ryokoseigo.6107)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s not on the log in screen where you do the transferring. There is no way they can put all the information concerning transfers there. You need to research it first before you spend money. Go to the wiki and type transfer to get basic information.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transfer#Transferring
Access to guild improvements on the new world
“When you move, you will lose access to all your guild improvements on your original world (unless you move back). This includes any guild vault and all of its contents. Accordingly, if you have any items stored in a group or personal guild vault, be sure to move them to one of your existing characters and/or your personal bank before transferring”.

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

If you still have a guild member left behind or someone you trust, you can ask them to send the stuff to you after you add them to your guild.

ryokoseigo.6107

I had a response post setup and clicked post, but thanks to a forum moderator I lost the post… thanks for that, also this is completely and utterly not related to WvW whatsoever if you actually read the post… just because it mentions a keyword=/=it being about that keyword. This is not the correct location for this post…
Short version since, i’m not going to retype everything now…

No system should exist that causes players problems or grief, systems exist to aid players and make their experience the best possible. Server transfers exist so that you can have the best experience possible in the world you think will best fit your style of play. The lack of transparency in the transfer information ingame caused me grief- and im sure others. if you are capable of thinking rationally, it becomes obvious that this shouldnt be a situation that arises because it should be designed in a way that the only way you can experience problems with the games core systems is if you screw up- deleting a character without looting them, etc.

It is illogical to assume that you will lose access to your items from a game perspective, as trading post is gamewide, thus transferring within regions shouldn’t cause problems, you could assume you have to reunlock your guild upgrades, but it seems illogical to assume guild vaults are server based.

And finally- no ingame system should require out of game knowledge to not screw yourself over. Out of game knowledge exists to give you an edge, or to make things easier to understand/know, but not to exist as requirements to not be screwed over by a ingame feature. This is why “wxp has been reset- you will not receive another reset until the end of the season” is messaged to all people when it gets reset. you can’t get screwed over by the reset, because they spent the time to tell you.

Note- I am attempting to take a balanced and rational stance with this problem, this is not a rage post- this is a post that experienced a problem with the game that I feel shouldn’t have happened if Anet had properly set it up.

(edited by ryokoseigo.6107)

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I can see how the loss was a surprise since it isn’t readily obvious. I would log a ticket and ANet might be able to help you out but I wouldn’t count on it.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

ryokoseigo.6107

I can see how the loss was a surprise since it isn’t readily obvious. I would log a ticket and ANet might be able to help you out but I wouldn’t count on it.

Which would be great, but that doesnt fix the underlying problem. No company wants a element of the game that consistently brings in support tickets due to its bad design, fixing the issue by just adding an additional warning, or changing the underlying system of guild vaults being gamewide is much more effective at making that ticket never show up ever again.

ryokoseigo.6107

also i just checked the Website support page on home worlds, it does NOT mention this problem, requiring the wiki does not count if the official uneditable game site doesnt mention it, why would I check a wiki?
Quote below-

What is the cost of changing home worlds?

Transferring to a new home world has a cost in gems.
The gem fee for world transfers is based on the population of the world you want to transfer to. Transferring to a high population world will be more expensive.
Each account is still limited to one world transfer every 7 days.
Players will still not be able to transfer to worlds that are “Full.”

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Wonder what Guesting would do….

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

ryokoseigo.6107

Wonder what Guesting would do….

It does nothing, the best you could accomplish via guesting is find someone on the server to add to the guild who can mail you the items- which is something ANet wouldnt want you to do anyways as thats horribly dangerous.

Because your unlocks/vault is directly tied to your home server, guesting doesnt actually change your home server, just the server your on.

At the end of the day, my solution is going to be to convince a semi friend who hasnt played in a year to lend me his account info so I can mail the items to myself, which is also frowned upon by ANet, so essentially this debacle is going to force me into doing something dangerous. (I had people telling me they would totally transfer to my old server to mail me my items ingame, hahaha yeah right i can trust that soo well…)

ryokoseigo.6107

A moderator needs to move this post back to where it is supposed to be, thanks for completely burying this in the wrong area…

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Thank you for submitting the ticket, so we could see the post and move it to the proper sub-forum.

Posted by: Hoser.8361

Hoser.8361

Oh wow, I didn’t know that stuff we left behind was still there. My guild switched servers a year or so ago, and found out the hard way that you lose everything from guild bank etc. but we never thought we could go back and get it.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

guild exists across servers, but the upgrades doesn’t. you have to build and rebuild the upgrades on each of the home world you’re on.

if you transfer from one home world to another you do not lose the upgrades, it is just left behind. even guesting do not grant you access to the upgrades you left behind.

weird idea from ANET indeed, but that’s just the way it works now. i’m hoping one day that the system will change so that the guild upgrades are accessible from various home worlds, otherwise what’s the point of having guild exists across servers.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Seriously? This info has been known since beta and anyone transferring from A to B should really do their research before jumping all over the place. i understand your frustration, but really it was on you to do your research first. This was something Anet stated from the start regarding world transfers and even as was linked about has had posted for some time.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Gwen.7619

Gwen.7619

Seriously? This info has been known since beta and anyone transferring from A to B should really do their research before jumping all over the place. i understand your frustration, but really it was on you to do your research first. This was something Anet stated from the start regarding world transfers and even as was linked about has had posted for some time.

Seriously? The same can be said for you to think before posting! Your post is based on your chance alone of seeing some sort of warning back then, this useless info does not help new player that was not in game at your time, this just show’s how easy It is for anyone “even the ones that think there smarter then evryone els” to jump in and miss something that kittens you over, as for wiki it is about as useful as the MF

Sorry for my English as I’m Dyslexic

Posted by: ourplague.7196

ourplague.7196

OP does have a valid point no matter how you wish to spin it. The folks that respond with, “You should have done….blahblahblahblah…before…blahblahblah….” will eventually, or rather hopefully learn at some point later in their lives, that being high handed isn’t conducive to any situation.
It doesn’t matter if the warning is clearly published on Wiki. The GW2 Wiki is ran by IGN, which isn’t a partner or product of ArenaNet. GuildWars 2 wasn’t designed to require an out-of-game source in order to operate without making a series of disastrous moves. It’s nearly the same concept as buying a game from a store, only to find out later that the instructions weren’t included and that you must have a secondary game in order operate the original. ALL details relevant to server transfers, which should have included information pertaining to guilds (this is GUILD wars,) should have been made clear on the in game material and not elsewhere. It’s that simple. People get sued for lesser disclosures than this in RL.