Server w/ realistic skin playerbase?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Musashi.1735

Musashi.1735

I’m so sick of seeing dumb immersion breaking skins, feather wings and the most obnoxious dye channels, are there any servers with an overall high amount of players who choose a more realistic (realistic to THIS universe) approach skins wise?

GW2 aesthetic has become an absolute joke, & is ruining my enjoyment ingame to the point im not sure i even want to play this game anymore.
I am seriously considering uninstalling shortly after POF.

which is a shame cuz i am a GW1 veteran who loves this universe.

(edited by Musashi.1735)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Unless you play WvW, server isn’t going to matter. Even then, you’re still going to find people using the skins you dislike.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The game uses megaserver technology to bring people together, meaning you can get people from multiple servers on your map.

Even if it didn’t, the items in question are so widespread now due to their popularity, such a server would not exist anyway.

I’m not a big fan of some of them either, but like most people in the real world, I just walk past and ignore them.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

If you find it that annoying lower your character model limit so players around you use the default models

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Set your character model limit to lowest and set character model quality to low.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

And also it will improve your fps.

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Due to the recent aurageddon (and the horsemen of the wingpocalypse preceding it), I’m now firmly in favor of a detailed set of options (preferably checkboxes) that would allow me to tweak my visual experience.

I’d absolutely love to have the ability to disable backpacks and character auras on other players and at the same time bring back skill visuals and auras.

(edited by Ariurotl.3718)

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

If the ‘immersion breaking’ skins bother you so much, maybe you should consider switching to an immersive sim game. GW2 is after all a game set in a fantasy world with dragons and magic (and has never claimed to be realistic in any sense), what else you’d expect?

Edit: this is not a personal attack, I’m simply just tired of seeing people complain about immersion, which sounds really silly to me considering the game’s theme, lore and genre.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Due to the recent aurageddon (and the horsemen of the wingpocalypse preceding it), I’m not firmly in favor of a detailed set of options (preferably checkboxes) that would allow me to tweak my visual experience.

I’d absolutely love to have the ability to disable backpacks and character auras on other players and at the same time bring back skill visuals and auras.

In context, I think you meant now rather than not?

I don’t really mind the bling around me, seeing as how I play zoomed very far out and the bling takes up about an inch on my monitor. But I’m all for more options, especially ones that can improve game performance for those generally unable to run the game on max.

Posted by: Scipion.7548

Scipion.7548

If the ‘immersion breaking’ skins bother you so much, maybe you should consider switching to an immersive sim game. GW2 is after all a game set in a fantasy world with dragons and magic (and has never claimed to be realistic in any sense), what else you’d expect?

Edit: this is not a personal attack, I’m simply just tired of seeing people complain about immersion, which sounds really silly to me considering the game’s theme, lore and genre.

I don’t think you understand what immersion is. In a fantasy game, fighting a dragon with magic don’t break your immersion but enhances it. Fighting a dragon with magic and mates wearing stupid pink bunny ears and useless wings however breaks the immersion. Look at ESO, it is a fantasy game but it rather immersive. Even WoW is more immersive. Only Asian RPG are less immersive.

(edited by Scipion.7548)

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

In context, I think you meant now rather than not?

Indeed, that was a very unfortunate typo. Fixed now, thanks.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“More realistic”

Have you not taken a look around the real world at some of the outlandish kitten “real” people do?

I mean, I get your point. I understand that if you don’t care for a particular skin, or all the effects of some skins, it can be super annoying. However, that’s life. You can’t control what’s popular, what others like or don’t like, what others wear or don’t wear. Just like real life, other people make their own decisions. You don’t have to like it. You do sort of have to deal with it though.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Like other mentioned, megaserver so….

Your other other option is to create a niche guild that recruit realistic fashion players and hopefully they all will show up in your megaserver due to same guild.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Scipion.7548

Scipion.7548

“More realistic”

Have you not taken a look around the real world at some of the outlandish kitten “real” people do?

I mean, I get your point. I understand that if you don’t care for a particular skin, or all the effects of some skins, it can be super annoying. However, that’s life. You can’t control what’s popular, what others like or don’t like, what others wear or don’t wear. Just like real life, other people make their own decisions. You don’t have to like it. You do sort of have to deal with it though.

I think your comparison with real life is incomplete. The characters we play are soldiers (or commanders) fighting dragons, gods and so on. The real life counterparts aren’t “normal” people but soldiers. And I’m not sure they wear what they want. So except in the capitals where you can find strange characters looking like they come from The Hunger Games movies, you should’nt wear bunny ears, useless wings or armor that don’t protecter your breast (for female).

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“More realistic”

I think your comparison with real life is incomplete. The characters we play are soldiers (or commanders) fighting dragons, gods and so on. The real life counterparts aren’t “normal” people but soldiers. And I’m not sure they wear what they want. So except in the capitals where you can find strange characters looking like they come from The Hunger Games movies, you should’nt wear bunny ears, useless wings or armor that don’t protecter your breast (for female).

You can’t do a complete comparison with real life even going that route either, because we don’t wield swords and magic. Our characters, while a commander in the Pact and yes we slew a couple dragons, aren’t soldiers. We aren’t in an army, and we technically never command one. Sure, we go on a few forays in the personal story , but we still aren’t a rank and file soldier. Not even technically special ops. We’re closer to a contractor of sorts. Mild tangent there, but the point is, there is no one to one comparison that’s possible.

Now, if we wanted to look backward in time to when soldiers did wield swords/ bows + arrows / etc…

1) Women typically weren’t warriors, so we’ve already broken immersion.
2) Some leaders wore some really goofy crap, have you seen some of the Roman headdresses? How about Native American chief headdresses?

Posted by: Musashi.1735

Musashi.1735

“realistic” to GW2’s universe not IRL

(edited by Musashi.1735)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“realistic” to GW2’s universe not IRL

I think many (maybe most?) of us that really love / enjoy the game hoped Anet would keep things ‘realistic’ to the game universe (re: skins) and not go crazy on us. However, Anet is a business. Businesses are in business to make money. The best way to make money is to give your consumer what they desire. Sadly, what many (seemingly a great many) of our fellow players really like that wacky, seemingly out of place stuff. If the majority eats it up, and keeps spending money, their vote is going to weigh more than those of people who don’t spend because they don’t like. It boils down to not being able to please everyone all the time.

Posted by: Diak Atoli.2085

Diak Atoli.2085

While I can not say ‘no’ to more options in the player’s hands, I will say I find the available skins to be perfectly immersive with the theme of Guild Wars 2. How individuals dress themselves is another matter, and is entirely subjective.

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

My response to people throwing shade about my IRL purple hair:
I’m 50 years old, I can do what I kitten well please with my hair. You don’t like it, don’t look at it. (mostly I get "OMG I LOVE YOUR HAIR! tho)

My response to shade thrown at my choice of fashion in game:

I’m a kitten Pact Commander and I’ll wear what I kitten well please.
If you don’t like it, don’t look at it.

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

In short… too bad. In the real world you don’t get to control what people do with themselves and in the same respect you don’t get to control what people do with themselves in this game either. The universe doesn’t revolve around you and I assure you, neither does this game.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My response to people throwing shade about my IRL purple hair:
I’m 50 years old, I can do what I kitten well please with my hair. You don’t like it, don’t look at it. (mostly I get "OMG I LOVE YOUR HAIR! tho)

My response to shade thrown at my choice of fashion in game:

I’m a kitten Pact Commander and I’ll wear what I kitten well please.
If you don’t like it, don’t look at it.

i <3 you Kitty!

Posted by: Maikimaik.1974

Maikimaik.1974

I don’t really understand what you mean with “realism”.
You know, Gw2 is a game, and if the devs choose to implement colored hair and bunny ears etc., it becomes a part of Gw2’s reality.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it’s also worth considering the world you’re trying to immerse yourself in. Fantasy worlds aren’t just about a lack of modern technology, it’s also (arguably more) about what’s been added.

Magic is extremely common in Tyria, even non-magicians are likely to know at least a few simple spells and/or have magical items. Likewise holographic technology is well established and common, and for small holograms the projectors can be tiny. I have absolutely no doubt that if the same was true in real-life both magical effects and holograms would be incorporated into clothing just like plastics, lazer printing and other modern technologies are in real life.

And whilst people in real life might not typically go into battle wearing bunny ears they can and do fight in all kinds of silly and impractical hats and throughout large parts of history the majority of people fought in their every day clothes because they couldn’t afford anything else and weren’t part of a standing army so they didn’t have armour or uniforms provided to them.

Edit: More generally if you think people wouldn’t wear something because it’s impractical I can only assume you’re male and haven’t spent much time discussing clothes with women. I spent 99% of my time in jeans and a black t-shirt and even I have 2 pairs of shoes which hurt if I wear them for more than a few hours but look amazing and various silly froofy dresses I have to wear for special occasions because apparently jeans are not ‘formal enough’.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I don’t think you understand what immersion is. In a fantasy game, fighting a dragon with magic don’t break your immersion but enhances it. Fighting a dragon with magic and mates wearing stupid pink bunny ears and useless wings however breaks the immersion. Look at ESO, it is a fantasy game but it rather immersive. Even WoW is more immersive. Only Asian RPG are less immersive.

Immersion like you’re talking about is completely subjective. What you think is immersive is probably not for someone else.
Everyone being ugly, dressed in many shades of brown, and moving like they’re constipated in ESO is maybe immersive to you but definitely not to me.

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

Some things I can get.

As a non-wing user, I don’t get the immersion breaking on wings? Quite possible for people to get semi-useful wings via magic as far as I’m concerned. Nothing saying you can’t.

Posted by: Alexnew.8940

Alexnew.8940

I’m so sick of seeing dumb immersion breaking skins, feather wings and the most obnoxious dye channels, are there any servers with an overall high amount of players who choose a more realistic (realistic to THIS universe) approach skins wise?

I feel you my friend. My thoughts exactly.
It could be a fantasy universe but when i look at my character( in his default noskin leather) i actually can imagine if one would wear all of it he could walk an run normally lol.

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

With all the whacky kitten that happened canonically in GW1 and GW2… most of the skins do not surprise me.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

How about if you role play that all the people around you went insane from excess unbound magic and that’s why they’re wearing wings, bunny ears, glowing hands, etc etc etc.

Just add a story relevant reason and there you go. Instant immersion.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Also if you look there are a lot of player characters dressed realistically, for Tyria. They might have 1 glowing item or effect but nothing that makes them look out of place.

But they don’t tend to stand out as much, especially if they don’t provoke the same kind of emotional reaction.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Irreverent.3594

Irreverent.3594

How about if you role play that all the people around you went insane from excess unbound magic and that’s why they’re wearing wings, bunny ears, glowing hands, etc etc etc.

Just add a story relevant reason and there you go. Instant immersion.

You know, this works. Tomorrow world bosses will be even more fun with all these asylum patients that gather there.

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

Why are people complaining about this now? I thought the wacky aesthetic was set in stone ever since they decided that for most races, female spell casters’ starting armor was a stripper outfit.

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

If someone looks too “spacy” for you because of colourful auras etc., just imagine they came from the mists to help us fight the evil.
If Rytlock can wear a blindfold (how do you fight an enemy if you can’t even see it?) why can’t others wear shiny wings? You don’t know what happened to them in the mists, maybe that’s just what people wear there?

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Posted by: Bear.3689

Bear.3689

LMAO.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

The game uses megaserver technology to bring people together, meaning you can get people from multiple servers on your map.

oh my sweet, naive, summer child

@OP:
I’m afraid you can’t choose who you play, or not play, with.
I would agree with you, I personally like to style all my characters in a “normal” fashion (albeit normal to the world, so it’s still fancier than a lord of the rings level of realistic) but I avoid over the top, unrealistic, or weirdly designed equipment. And I hate.. no.. I Loathe people who use arbitrarily immersion-ruining gliders like the SAB clouds

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

I also totally dislike this weird mashup of GuildWars, Barbie Fairytopia and cheap iOS minigame stuff. But except for huge, beast-like cats “wearing” gigantic wings I think it’s almost okay. Have you seen what SquareEnix brought into FF14 with this awkward Yokai-Watch event? YoshiP and Yokai dude are best friends, so they added that poor man’s Pokémon into that game. It’s totally out of hands.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”