Servers are filling again.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

I realize Anet must have done something to increase the cap or filtered it out or something, since the other week they all went from Full to Very High.

However, now they’re filling up again and I can’t get on the server my husband and Guild transferred to (which is Tarnished Coast). Neither can my sister-in-law.

Are these servers stuck at Full? Every time I look, it never moves from Full. Any Tarnished Coast members know what times I should be aiming for to camp the World Select screen?

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

I realize Anet must have done something to increase the cap or filtered it out or something, since the other week they all went from Full to Very High.

However, now they’re filling up again and I can’t get on the server my husband and Guild transferred to (which is Tarnished Coast). Neither can my sister-in-law.

Are these servers stuck at Full? Every time I look, it never moves from Full. Any Tarnished Coast members know what times I should be aiming for to camp the World Select screen?

Server status is based on the number of accounts tied to a server, not the number of players actively online. Even if Tarnished Coast was completely empty of players it would still read full. Shame Arenanet chose to lie about their subscriber numbers like that. : /

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

I would try early morning, like 4 A.M., Christmas Day, New Years or after the Winter’s Day event.

I switched to TC just before the holiday event, I love this server, there are people everywhere all the time and it’s fun.

Posted by: Rannulf.9417

Rannulf.9417

Server status is based on the number of accounts tied to a server, not the number of players actively online. Even if Tarnished Coast was completely empty of players it would still read full. Shame Arenanet chose to lie about their subscriber numbers like that. : /

Not sure if serious or trolling. anet doesn’t have subscribers, and the server status do base on number of players online.

Vasham.2408

Not sure if serious or trolling. anet doesn’t have subscribers, and the server status do base on number of players online.

One of the community managers admitted to it being based on number of accounts. Denying the truth won’t change it. It’s probably all Arenanet can do to prevent NCsoft from shutting the game down after it failed.

Posted by: Rannulf.9417

Rannulf.9417

One of the community managers admitted to it being based on number of accounts. Denying the truth won’t change it. It’s probably all Arenanet can do to prevent NCsoft from shutting the game down after it failed.

Show me a link until then you’re a troll.

Posted by: UnicornViolet.3081

UnicornViolet.3081

I imagine a lot of people got this game for Christmas (I did). You will probably see a larger surge of players than usual because of this.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

It’s been known since beta that the servers do not base off the amount of players online. They were always full even when the servers first restarted. People insisted that this was not true and there were other problems to resolve first.

It’s a shame, I was called a troll for pointing out such an issue. Many guilds have been divided by it because perks and bank doesn’t share between servers.

Vasham.2408

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

Right there. Last post in the thread. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Arenanet is lieing to you, and the game is bleeding players at the throat. Arenanet needs to fix the wound somehow, and fix it fast, or this game will be shut down by February.

Nurse.1085

=\ Yeah I heard a rumor it was based off of the accounts created on that server. I saw a few Full Servers drop to Very High just a few minutes ago, so that gives me hope. They immediately shot back to Full a few minutes later. Guess I’ll have to be quick.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Apparently you don’t know how the system works but first…… AN’s subscriber number is 0. No actually it really is 0. Think about it for a minute. Yup still 0.

2nd of all the status of the full server is based on how many players are currently connected to the server and playing. We were able to move entire Titan Alliance guilds to full servers by having several guilds have all their members logout of game synchronized on TS and other voice apps. If what you say were true this wouldn’t work.

Vasham.2408

Apparently you don’t know how the system works but first…… AN’s subscriber number is 0. No actually it really is 0. Think about it for a minute. Yup still 0.

2nd of all the status of the full server is based on how many players are currently connected to the server and playing. We were able to move entire Titan Alliance guilds to full servers by having several guilds have all their members logout of game synchronized on TS and other voice apps. If what you say were true this wouldn’t work.

Sadly a post by CC Eva overrides your anecdotal evidence. As for your claim that the game has “no subscribers” since it’s buy to play? Well here’s the hard truth. Fewer players mean fewer cash shop purchases, which means less money for NCsoft, which means unhappy corporate bigwigs. That will equal the death of GW2, and soon.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Yeah, well you are either making that up, the CM was mistaken, or that information has changed.

If the servers were tied to accounts linked to it as home then full servers would nearly always be full.

You can see for yourself that half a dozen (at least) “full” servers change to high population and allow transfers in the early hours of the morning. Dragonbrand for example, the last time I looked at the list, changes from full to high between 4:00-6:00am EST.

You think those accounts are all just magically disappearing in the wee hours of the morning and then reappearing as people are waking up?

My advice to the OP is to set your alarm for some ridiculous hour in the AM to get up and change servers. Like most other people do when they absolutely need to transfer. Which i’ll add again as empirical evidence against Vasham’s misinformation, wouldn’t be possible unless the population was based on concurrent online users.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

A quote from Vasham in a different thread: “Decided to get a refund and go back to WoW. Never thought it would come to this, but honestly it’s better than the alternative of giving Arenanet my time and letting them keep my money. Any smart person would also drop this dyeing game.”

This was eight days ago. And yet… you are still here….

Why can’t these people simply move on? If you don’t like the game, fine, nobody is arm-twisting you into singing its praises. However the door is >>>>>>>>
A remark about door knobs also springs to mind.

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

Oh good god, is that really the best you can do?

Anyway, I’m done here, you are clearly a troll with a vendetta, interacting with you is like attempting to converse with the average religious zealot, pointless.

AcidicVision.5498

Being a drooling zealot doesn’t say much about this game if such fallacious logic is all you can fall back on to defend it.

What is fallacious about a conclusion drawn from being able to physically see US servers go from Full to High in the early hours of the morning when most of Central and Eastern American players are asleep? This pop change also coincides with night-capping in WvW, which is only possible because no one is on to defend their borderlands.

Thats not a theory. That’s not an opinion. There is no logical fallacy in the correlation. It is a fact that is observable by anyone.

I hope you get your refund so the general player base doesn’t have to witness any more of your non-sense.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: UnicornViolet.3081

UnicornViolet.3081

@Vasham

You’re greatly overstating the case for GW2’s death. Look at the xfire numbers: http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2. The game’s population plummeted after launch, but has since stabilized at the #5 slot on xfire with about 50% of WoW’s playtime. Additionally, the server populations appear to spike whenever new content is released.

That link is so bogus. There is only 26,000 people playing WoW?

Posted by: Lavexis.5360

Lavexis.5360

I think its because of old players started to coming back to play again.. I quit gw 2 like 2 months ago, but me and my friends started playing it again recently to spvp and casually do fotm.. I even started to thinking about leveling my ranger to 80.

that’s the beauty of b2p.

AcidicVision.5498

That link is so bogus. There is only 26,000 people playing WoW?

It can only take metrics from the people actually using it. And comparative to the games population as a whole…Xfire users only make up a small percentage.

Not everyone uses Xfire, and it appeals to a specific demographic. So those numbers are an indication of the activity in the game of a subset of a subset of players.

Sort of how forum users make up a minority of players of a certain type. But Xfire users are a bit more mercurial in their gaming habits. Hence using it to begin with so you can chat cross games and see what friends are playing.

26k players playing WoW with Xfire active is believable.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

A quote from Vasham in a different thread: “Decided to get a refund and go back to WoW. Never thought it would come to this, but honestly it’s better than the alternative of giving Arenanet my time and letting them keep my money. Any smart person would also drop this dyeing game.”

This was eight days ago. And yet… you are still here….

Why can’t these people simply move on? If you don’t like the game, fine, nobody is arm-twisting you into singing its praises. However the door is >>>>>>>>
A remark about door knobs also springs to mind.

You sir have just won over 9000 internet for this post

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

Right there. Last post in the thread. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Arenanet is lieing to you, and the game is bleeding players at the throat. Arenanet needs to fix the wound somehow, and fix it fast, or this game will be shut down by February.

Dont know about the other severs but as TC player i kinda wish some of our players would transfer to other severs

Ours is packed all the freaking time

Posted by: IceBlizzard.1054

IceBlizzard.1054

Sadly a post by CC Eva overrides your anecdotal evidence. As for your claim that the game has “no subscribers” since it’s buy to play? Well here’s the hard truth. Fewer players mean fewer cash shop purchases, which means less money for NCsoft, which means unhappy corporate bigwigs. That will equal the death of GW2, and soon.

Yea. Thats why they are hiring on the front page.
I give this troll a 6/10.

Dragonslayer
GoF Commander

Posted by: Gabi.5264

Gabi.5264

I paid for it, had high expectation, turned out to be crap, i have every right to be here and do whatever i want.

Now like i said, play gw2 forever, and to quote you … “do us both a favor”

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Recommendation:

Wait until 4:30 AM on christmas eve, or newyers eve, and try tarnished coast. If that doesn’t work, wait until 4:30 AM wed after xmas break.

The servers DO bump off the full list around that time (pacific)

BEWARE: Tarnished Coast is a very high demand server.

Nurse.1085

Well, no luck at 4am EST last night. I did however count 6 full servers earlier and now there were only 4 recently. So, they do eventually move. Gahh, I just want to play with my friends!

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Recommendation:

Wait until 4:30 AM on christmas eve, or newyers eve, and try tarnished coast. If that doesn’t work, wait until 4:30 AM wed after xmas break.

This gentlemen is correct. Tarnished Coast and Sea of Sorrows are both extremely high demand servers. There are a lot of players looking to move to them as soon as spots open.

You’ll need to check regularly as in every few hours if you’re looking to move to one of these servers.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Nurse.1085

Recommendation:

This gentlemen is correct. Tarnished Coast and Sea of Sorrows are both extremely high demand servers. There are a lot of players looking to move to them as soon as spots open.

You’ll need to check regularly as in every few hours if you’re looking to move to one of these servers.

lol I usually check every 10 minutes through out the day. There are 7 full servers right now (from 5 last time I checked). Seems to be peaking right about now. I guess my best chance would be past 4 or 5am EST tomorrow because a lot of people will be doing family events in the morning. I have a feeling though that if I don’t get in by tomorrow, my chances will be slim until next year since people will be receiving GW2 as a gift.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I wasn’t able to move to TC until right before Wintersday when all servers became open at the same time. Why that happened I don’t know, but my assumption was that it had something to do with the event. They apparently remove the cap (by account, not active players, as mentioned above) periodically. And, some people do seem to be able to get in for whatever reason; so it is helpful to periodically try through the day.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Absolutely false. I and many others have gotten on Tarnished Coast as well. The server status fluctuates from full to very high to high and back again based on how many people are currently online.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Funny how that shut him right up.

The severs labeled full in this game are of no indication of how many players are playing.

Nurse.1085

This is being a little too dramatic. You expect a game with no subs and more content patches coming soon, after winning a bunch of rewards right after the Holidays, to shut down by February? Ha….You can atleast throw out a more realistic GW2 Dooms Day date.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

TC prolly is since it’s the one chosen by the community to be THE premier RP server so it’s packed with people standing round in various parts of the world acting out their toons lives.

I found it difficult too but what i did to transfer my husband over was to loginto his account on my computer 1 per hour all day until i noticed when the server is below full then i could transfer him and restart the game looking again to see if his toons had transfered.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

@Vasham, ya i need source on this as it is a huge corporate secret and the community manager letting this go would be in a world of hurt, what or who is your source and can a dev confirm or deny just the context of Vasham’s statement?

Vasham states:
“Server status is based on the number of accounts tied to a server, not the number of players actively online. Even if Tarnished Coast was completely empty of players it would still read full. Shame Arenanet chose to lie about their subscriber numbers like that. : /”

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

He’s right. Crawl back into your cave thanks.

Vasham.2408

I posted the link awhile ago. You clearly haven’t checked back up the thread to look, or read it and are going through the stages of acceptance. Anger and Denial are the first two after all.

Posted by: FacesOfMu.3561

FacesOfMu.3561

I posted the link awhile ago. You clearly haven’t checked back up the thread to look, or read it and are going through the stages of acceptance. Anger and Denial are the first two after all.

Vasham, there’s a point to be made about what your words bring to this discussion or the forums. You don’t appear to be a troll, but you do seem very upset about Guild Wars. Rather than have constructive words about it, you choose to say the negative. It’s not trolling, it just doesn’t support the positive, constructive, helpful tone other players want to share.
It’s not my intent to be saying “Don’t have those feelings” or “Don’t talk about it”, but your comments don’t suggest you are talking to help you or others. Therefore people will mistake you for a troll or or wrongly believe you are attacking their values. If you haven’t already done this I would wonder the merits of simply detailing what makes you upset and then leave it to the dev machines. Catastrophising and doomsaying will push people away from you, or simply have your efforts deleted for the sake of the helpful.

People vary.

(edited by FacesOfMu.3561)

Nurse.1085

3:22 AM (EST) on Christmas and now there are 8 servers Full (as opposed to the 6ish yesterday).

>___> For the love of God, I just want to play with my guildies and friends!

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

Look, I don’t know how the status of “Full” is arrived at but here is the best anecdotal uh… whatever I can offer you. I was unable to play until roughly 3 days after launch. By the time I was able my guild’s chosen server (Jade Quarry) was long since full and it remained so for, well… it still is I think.

So of course my only option to actually play the game was to roll on another server but of course I wanted to transfer A.S.A.P. I checked the Server list frequently, even checking in the wee hours of the mornings with no change. Finally, the way I got in was this. Immediately after a “new build” was issued (as they were almost daily in those early days) I logged in as quickly as I could and low and behold I found Jade Quarry, and every single other server that was typically full, just briefly less than full and could then log in.

Now why, they weren’t marked as full right after a new build I couldn’t say. Are they genuinely “unfull” (by whatever standards they are considered full) briefly after every new build? Don’t know. Just saying me and a few other guildies who’d been trying to sneak in were able to so at this specific time. You gotta be quick though and log in immediately after the build completes, it only lasts a few minutes from my experience. I hope this is helpful to you. Good Luck!

P.S This did also occur in the wee hours of the morning, around 2 -3 a.m. EST. That was just in my experience though, whether the exact time is relevant or not I also don’t know.

(edited by Mayam.8976)

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

Yeah I would not be holding my breath trying to get I to a full North American server during holiday time. Maybe try after the new year, you can still do dungeons together I believe.

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

Oh yeah, additionally we’ve had a couple guildies use the same “method” as early as a few weeks ago so there’s hope. Maybe the Holidays will make it more difficult but we’ve had members able to transfer since launch up to just a few weeks ago as noted above.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Shut down by February? In your dreams.

Thats the thing I’ve never understood. All these players so dissatisfied with a game that cost them a measly 60 bucks. Who have forgotten how to have fun in any game, much less this one. Its like they have this need to see an entire community or communities shut down just to vouchsafe their opinions.

Its kind of pathetic.

The crowds in TC over these holidays are as large as when the game rolled out. The human area is just filled with peeps. Is been great fun re-running the vets and champions on low level alts.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Basilisk.1475

Basilisk.1475

I would like to know if there’s an alternative RP server to the Tarnished Coast, I’d like to do some RP at some point, but I’d rather not have to bend over backward to connect to it.

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

Shut down by Feb? Lol, looks like this game will be in the top ten downloads from amazon again by the end of the day, not bad this far post launch for a MMO. I’d expect a lot of new players in the open servers soon

Posted by: nightmunch.4923

nightmunch.4923

Have to ask but how did you come to that translation.

"""Hello everyone.

Connor, when you see a server FULL means that the people who’ve chosen that server as theirs, or players who have moved to that particular server, have reached the cap, independently of where did they create their accounts."""

No where do they say it’s account based and not online based. Just that people have moved to that server (could be online at the moment) not WHERE THEY CREATED their account. However confusing that wording may be…. I do not see a particular reference to “Full” as number of accounts as opposed to number of actively online at that moment.
However there are too many instances where folks have gotten to transfer at odd hours to a Supposed Full server (via your definition) to prove contrary to your interpretation.

Don’t know about the bleeding effect though. Your own argument about how servers are measured would prove difficult to lend credence to your declaration.

Posted by: stormdragon.4932

stormdragon.4932

Shut down by February? In your dreams.

Thats the thing I’ve never understood. All these players so dissatisfied with a game that cost them a measly 60 bucks. Who have forgotten how to have fun in any game, much less this one. Its like they have this need to see an entire community or communities shut down just to vouchsafe their opinions.

Its kind of pathetic.

The crowds in TC over these holidays are as large as when the game rolled out. The human area is just filled with peeps. Is been great fun re-running the vets and champions on low level alts.

Yeah know exactly what you mean the same idiocy is going on right know over at TOR, there are groups of Buttsore SWG nutters who spend 15 a month just to trash that game on the forums.

I have fun in GW2 No it’s not the bloody messiah, but I never expected it to be.

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Time for you to move on your nothing but a troll.

You claim you got a refund and went back to wow so why are you here?
Your like the guy that dumps his girlfriend goes back to your ex then continues to pester and insult the one you just broke up with by telling her how she wasted your time and money.

Your clearly not over GW2. And WoW is obviously not doing it for you…..
Move along bro.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

The game hasn’t failed. There are players everywhere in the game and the guild i’m in have 50+ members online at the same time.

I’d say Guild Wars 2 have 1.500.000 – 2.000.000 players . That actively plays.

Posted by: Tumbero.3945

Tumbero.3945

Did anet say merry xmas to us? i dont see any post of them to us.

SBI Firstborn.
(LX) Legion

Nurse.1085

10 full servers now. Maybe by the end of January I’ll be able to play with my friends and participate in Guild Events / WvWvW and not be stuck on a lame server by my lonesome.

Attachments:

Posted by: SharDarksoul.3024

SharDarksoul.3024

I guess you are one of those guys that proclaimed WoW dead the moment it came out.

As for that, my server (Piken Square) has never been this active.

(edited by SharDarksoul.3024)