Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raeysa Penrose.8450

Raeysa Penrose.8450

Okay, so there have been some updates in the past that I have been less than thrilled about (cough cough leveling system cough), but up until now every change has been something I could respect in concept, just not necessarily in implementation. This, however, is just not okay.

Shadowstepping/teleporting to otherwise inaccessible locations. Why would you “fix” this? Of all the things you could have worked on, you picked this?

You’ve admitted that the trait system as it stands is less than perfect and needs some reworking, you’ve completely removed entire arcs from the personal story as if that were acceptable, you’ve changed the leveling system so that it is actually tedious where it wasn’t before. These areas could all use work. These areas have actually been harmful to the game in some small part. Accessing interesting and unique views on the world you’ve worked so hard to model and show off? Absolutely pointless, actively harmful to certain player communities, and altogether an unprofitable, unpopular, unwanted change.

Guilds have been formed around hide-and-seek and exploration activities that were inherently based on the shadowstep/blink exploits you have just removed. Roleplay communities have found beautiful spots to interact without disruption. People have made friends, created events, formed communities all based around friendly competition as to who could find the most interesting spots to play. There have been absolutely no gamebreaking or “cheating” aspects to this feature of the game, and removing it as an option actively moves against your philosophy of “play how you want to play.”

I know it doesn’t mean much as I’m just one kid out of thousands of players, but dear god, I have been the most active proponent of this game in my social circles. I have dragged nearly every friend I have into this game, become a foghorn every time the game went on sale, gone on endless rants about how amazingly the game continues to grow and develop. Every change I have seen has been actively furthering the beautiful aspects of GW2, even if sometimes they have taken some tweaking to pull off correctly. This, however, is a very negative step that I dearly hope you are not serious about.

Please, please, please reconsider. Thank you for your time.

Fear not this night
curse my dependence on sleep for survival!

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

You yourself called them exploits and yet you complain that they were removed, ofc they remove exploits and so they should, I can think of plenty more that should be removed too but that’s another story.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Morsheira.6102

Morsheira.6102

As one of the people mentioned in the above groups (RPer) This “Fix” Does not work for me. The use RPers used that for was to get inside of fully furnished buildings that for whatever reason were in the game. We used them as character homes, Taverns, Labs and any number of other things. We used them to make the world larger and more fullfilling.

Which makes me ask the Question, why even have these furnished buildings within the world and not grant us access? If you are going to take away our means to get into these places, perhaps also think of an edit to open the doors? Between the mobs from the scaling (Which I personally have no problem with because Yay scaling) And the limited number of cities and even fewer buildings with open doors, we RPers have (Which are constantly being fought over for use as there are so few) How about you simply open a door to those buildings that are… well…. in the world and fully furnished?
I don’t know, perhaps this is just going to be waived off as more whining, but really? RPers using those buildings weren’t hurting anyone. They weren’t breaking the game. It wasn’t exploiting anything.

We as RPers have been given a world where we sink through furniture, we cannot sit on couches or tables or ledges without risk of sinking right through. The chairs are laughable in that regard. But we roll our eyes and move forward. We have been given a world with half a dozen buildings we can use for RP and thousands of RPers. We are all in competition for places to go. The new clothing that comes out, is all in outfits and not amour pieces we can mix and match. You are taking away our ability to differentiate our characters visually from each other. You gave us megaservers where we have to play ‘hide and seek’ and harrass our friends lists to find RP if we want to go outside of the main city, which might I add we often need to be ported into anyway a good deal of the time. (Though I can admit to understanding the PvE reasonings behind this change)

Aside from the dyes becoming account bound and the Wardrobe System there really have been no changes to this game that have done anything but Hurt the RP community. And now this.

So yes, I am being repetative and long winded, but I would really like the answer. In what way was using this game breaking? And if there is a reason it is Game breaking, why can’t you just open a door to the buildings we are using so that they are not lost to us?

tl;dr thank you for once again giving the RP community the shaft and please look at giving us access ‘properly’ to those areas we love.

(To Clarify I am not speaking on anything past accessing the buildings that are there and unused. Anything else that can affect the gameplay of others I agree with being blocked. Dungeon exploits etc)

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Funny thing is that, from my experience at least in pve maps, its mostly the little hops that are inaccessible. The kind you could just walk up to that don’t even take a detour, or jumping or anything.

But the big leaps that go up two cliffs and can only be reached otherwise by going around and several jumps, that still works fine.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

You yourself called them exploits and yet you complain that they were removed, ofc they remove exploits and so they should, I can think of plenty more that should be removed too but that’s another story.

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

the worst part it heavily affects zerker classes in pvp/wvw…. but as usuall they just love to remove things and not compensate in any manner

all hail our engi overlords

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Entrea Sumatae.7830

Entrea Sumatae.7830

Saying there have been absolutely no gamebreaking/cheating aspects to teleport tricks is admittedly an exaggeration, since there were a number of admittedly minor skips in jumping puzzles and other areas you could use before the changes. Nevertheless, I’m not a fan of the “fix”. While I can’t deny it was a glitch (calling it an “exploit” is being rather generous, considering how very little benefit it gave at the best of times), there’s a lot of collateral damage in the change.

The vast majority of the unintended uses for shadowstep glitches were benign, and it’s sad to see them go.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Raeysa Penrose.8450

To clarify for Vavume, I am referring to things like jumping into the Salma District without having to enter an instance, or getting into the aquarium in Divinity’s Reach, or on top of one of the buildings to a spot where you can get the most amazing view. Things that are not gamebreaking, things that are not dungeon cheats. Jumps that merely enrich the gaming experience and do not detract from it.

Fear not this night

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Raeysa Penrose.8450

I kinda forgot that there were actually cheats for dungeons that involved shadowstep/blink. <.<

Fear not this night

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

I’m betting 10 Charrs that we don’t even get clickable interactable chairs during the expansion. Guild halls should have been around from day one of this sequel and then player housing added later for the expansion. That might have kept players around or even attract role players from other games.

(edited by Shivan.9438)

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Raeysa Penrose.8450

I’m betting 10 Charrs that we don’t even get clickable interactable chairs during the expansion. Guild halls should have been around from day one of this sequel and then player housing added later for the expansion. That might have kept players around or even attract role player from other games.

For the record, we do have a pretty decent RP community in GW2, and the game hasn’t been terribly unfriendly to us. It’s just not been especially supportive either.

Fear not this night

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Shivan.9438

I’m betting 10 Charrs that we don’t even get clickable interactable chairs during the expansion. Guild halls should have been around from day one of this sequel and then player housing added later for the expansion. That might have kept players around or even attract role player from other games.

For the record, we do have a pretty decent RP community in GW2, and the game hasn’t been terribly unfriendly to us. It’s just not been especially supportive either.

I know, but instead of fixing the map when it comes to getting into the aquarium and other places they imply that it’s a pathing error by “fixing” tele/shadowstep and the like. They did the same thing by “fixing” farmable events. Instead of putting a cast on a broken arm, they just amputate it.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: pokmaster.9703

pokmaster.9703

I’m a huge fan of this update though.
Because of this anet made Finally a fix to the exploit sellers of P1
(the one who sell it for +- 1.50G and keep boss at 1%)
This brings good stuff for Legit Solors who will have now not that muhc competitions from exploiters who “solo” P1 in 5-10 mins

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Raeysa Penrose.8450

I’m a huge fan of this update though.
Because of this anet made Finally a fix to the exploit sellers of P1
(the one who sell it for +- 1.50G and keep boss at 1%)
This brings good stuff for Legit Solors who will have now not that muhc competitions from exploiters who “solo” P1 in 5-10 mins

What if they just removed those sorts of exploits from dungeons, but left the open world content intact?

I know, but instead of fixing the map when it comes to getting into the aquarium and other places they imply that it’s a pathing error by “fixing” tele/shadowstep and the like. They did the same thing by “fixing” farmable events. Instead of putting a cast on a broken arm, they just amputate it.

Yeah, it’s really frustrating. :/

Fear not this night

(edited by Raeysa Penrose.8450)

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: pokmaster.9703

pokmaster.9703

“What if they just removed those sorts of exploits from dungeons, but left the open world content intact?” That would be all fine by me, whihc shouldn’t be that hard after al to do.
I’m just glad there is finally a fix for exploiting dungeons

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Raeysa Penrose.8450

“What if they just removed those sorts of exploits from dungeons, but left the open world content intact?” That would be all fine by me, whihc shouldn’t be that hard after al to do.
I’m just glad there is finally a fix for exploiting dungeons

Fair enough! Dungeon cheats would be kind of a pain.

Fear not this night

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

Obviously it haven’t been supportive… seriously guys… get a grip… NONE sees an OPEN RP… It is as rare as having a celestial dye drop… honestly its more rare i have had more celestial dyes drop for me than i have seen RPers in game… You guys always go into hiding, so the rest of us never get a good view at the RP community and have a hard time finding it. If you want Anet to take you seriously, at least, at the very least, come out of hiding, in game, and show the COMMUNITY that you exist… then, as you make the experience of the game better for everyone… maybe, they will make the experience better, for you as well…

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Morsheira.6102

With the Megaservers it is hard to have it open as it has to be pre-arranged with bringing people from shard to shard. But I can tell you there is often some people in at least one shard of Kessex. LA if you get the right shard has some open RP. I have seen it in many of the outposts around Celadon. Part of the problem is the Megaservers and part is where we can plant our characters for long periods of time without having to stop every few minutes to kill mob respawns. There is much outcry -for- open world RP, but there are barriers against it.

You claim you have not seen it, but it is there. It is just a pain to find at times because of the hoops that we have been forced to jump through. AkA if you don’t know someone doing it at the time, you’re like SOL

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Kirahvi.3479

Kirahvi.3479

Blink is the most unreliable skill the mesmer has. If I can jump over a gap with swiftness I should be able to blink over it! Instead I get some pretty butterflies and look like an idiot.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Raeysa Penrose.8450

Zelanard, the thing is that the megaserver system puts you on maps with people it considers relevant to you. Most RPers are from the Tarnished Coast server, so they get put on shards with other TC players. If you are friends with a lot of TCers, you are more likely to get put on the same maps with them.

If you’re interested in getting involved with RP, or even with just seeing it around the game, I’d advise you to check out guildwars2roleplayers.com and touch base with people there. You can find people to friend, guilds to join, and generally get some contacts within the RP community. If you party/guild/friend up with several of them, you’re more likely to run into our sort throughout the game.

Just a couple of tips! Have a nice day!

Fear not this night

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

Honestly… people will complain about anything.
This is a MASSIVE fix to teleporting issues that have existed since launch, and you are upsed because you can’t hack through walls “for RP purposes (wink wink).”

Yeah, no.

You want to ask that those secret rooms be opened for everyone, go right ahead. Don’t ask for a roll back on an exploit fix so you can continue to access locked content that other people can’t. Why would anyone even take that request seriously?

Whatever the reasoning is, there is a reason it’s closed. Primarily its just leftovers because of a large number of things that were scrapped before launch.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Why should they constantly spend resources to patch the maps when the only reason they were needing to was because of a skill(s) that was not behaving as they intended? I’d say that they made a great call as this now frees up time that they would have spent patching the map from exploits that could only be taken advantage of by using blink.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Raeysa Penrose.8450

Honestly… people will complain about anything.
This is a MASSIVE fix to teleporting issues that have existed since launch, and you are upsed because you can’t hack through walls “for RP purposes (wink wink).”

Yeah, no.

You want to ask that those secret rooms be opened for everyone, go right ahead. Don’t ask for a roll back on an exploit fix so you can continue to access locked content that other people can’t. Why would anyone even take that request seriously?

Whatever the reasoning is, there is a reason it’s closed. Primarily its just leftovers because of a large number of things that were scrapped before launch.

Not really. I respect that the dungeon exploits and such needed to be fixed. We’re asking whether there could be a way to fix the gamebreaking exploits without killing the fun exploration options that are, yes, sometimes used for RP, and sometimes used for pure explorative fun. [Fell], for example, is a guild that does a lot of hide-and-seek activities and enjoys taking people on free tours around the world, showing neat views you wouldn’t see otherwise. People generally share information on these sorts of things, and it makes everything a lot more fun.

Yes, gamebreaking is an issue and needs to be dealt with, but if there’s an option that doesn’t throw the baby out with the bathwater, that would be even better.

Fear not this night

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Morsheira.6102

Well I’m personally not asking to roll back an exploit fix. More referencing that this was a use of such exploits. Is there not a way to allow us access to those places that we are wishing to use that really doesn’t break the game.

Is using uninstanced Salma Game breaking? I don’t see how. Is using the building at Smugglers Cove Game breaking? Again I do not see it. Both places are fully furnished and functional save for having doors. There are several others like taht as well.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Oofta.8036

Oofta.8036

Sometimes the smaller things need to be fixed before bigger fixes can be enacted. Not saying that this is one of those things but who am I to know. There may or may not be a reason behind this and we’d all have our own opinion on the validity of that decision.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Obviously it haven’t been supportive… seriously guys… get a grip… NONE sees an OPEN RP… It is as rare as having a celestial dye drop… honestly its more rare i have had more celestial dyes drop for me than i have seen RPers in game… You guys always go into hiding, so the rest of us never get a good view at the RP community and have a hard time finding it. If you want Anet to take you seriously, at least, at the very least, come out of hiding, in game, and show the COMMUNITY that you exist… then, as you make the experience of the game better for everyone… maybe, they will make the experience better, for you as well…

Either you’re not very attentive, or i am… But i keep running into RPers.

Honestly idk about the patch, still need to see the full implications ingame. But atm i’m more worried about the large-ish gap in some of the stability skills.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

Im more concerned about the effects this will have to PvP, Thief, mesmers, and guardians all need to be able to teleport to targets out of range to be useful. Thieves already have it pretty hard in PvP and this just hurts them even more.

That being said i didnt even realize this consequence of the patch and its really interesting to see how the RP community, and people who just enjoy messing around in maps and finding cool things feel about this. I have a friend in game who basically just spends their whole time finding cool glitches in maps to reach amazing spots, and ofc they do it on mesmer xD. Im not an RPer and I dont see many in game anymore, but i think theyre a pretty fun community and i fully support not implementing this patch for their sake and mine!

also in regards to dungeon exploits, sure they exist but I’ve seen relatively few people use them, besides sellers. The main reason being most people are smart enough to know that it takes longer to explain an exploit than to just do it the normal way. Also if they went to fix the exploits instead of fixing teleporting maybe dungeons would actually get looked at by Anet for the first time in like the last 2 yeras.

edit: Didn’t know the patch was today and i wasnt able to test out teleports seems like its a major buff for pvp so only pve has gotten a nerf.

(edited by Nyx.7342)

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: abbetd.5912

abbetd.5912

Why should they constantly spend resources to patch the maps when the only reason they were needing to was because of a skill(s) that was not behaving as they intended? I’d say that they made a great call as this now frees up time that they would have spent patching the map from exploits that could only be taken advantage of by using blink.

Exactly. There’s potentially hundreds of spots where the skills in question could be exploited, some for an unfair advantage, some for harmless fun. Do you spend the time locating, identifying, and fixing each individual spot throughout the expansive world, or fix the couple of skills being exploited?

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

LOL try being part of the GvG community. At least you got the beach in southsun…

But OT, exploiting dungeon paths and WvW keeps and such is one thing, but forbidding entrance into a fully furnished building or an uninstanced Salma district it another.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Morsheira.6102

Oh I know they are. But if people never speak up on the matter of buildings and such things being taken away as a side result of fixing other things, how will they really be aware that people are -wanting- those things? Yes, complaining may not get anywhere, but it has a better chance of making the idea known than just sitting around being quiet because it was only a side result.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I really like the idea of adding opening doors to sealed away furnished areas. That way ANet can control access to things that really might break the map but let people see all the cool spots that are just fine other than having an inoperable door.

At the very least, we should be told why these areas are blocked off. I don’t usually ask ANet to tell things they aren’t ready to yet, but this particular issue makes ANet look mean-spirited and dedicated to stopping roleplay. An explanation would let us brainstorm fixes, as we’ve done since ANet took the time to say why sittable chairs won’t work so we could then suggest Toys and the like and stop demanding implementation of interactable furniture as it’s just not technically feasible on this engine.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Shivan.9438

Exactly. There’s potentially hundreds of spots where the skills in question could be exploited, some for an unfair advantage, some for harmless fun. Do you spend the time locating, identifying, and fixing each individual spot throughout the expansive world, or fix the couple of skills being exploited?

It’s not a skill that’s being exploited. It’s lazy game makers that don’t ensure wall glitching is fixed from the start. This kind of “fix” could have been applied from day one and there would be no complaints. If it was so easily done in a patch why wasn’t it done in the developmental stages?

Now that role players have been using it to get into building for RP purposes or exploiters and cheaters using it in PvP or WvW it’s now suddenly something that needs to be “fixed.” Maybe if this game had guild housing like most MMOs have now a days or have guild halls from the start, because GUILD wars this kind of thing wouldn’t stir up any kind of stink.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I can’t say that in any of the the MMOs I’ve played that any of them have really cared about, or tried to engage the RP side of the community.

We get a few common use areas like taverns or clubs and are expected to make do for everything else. I wouldn’t expect anything different with this.

Well, I suppose CoH was pretty good with it. You could do some amazing things with super group bases.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s not a skill that’s being exploited. It’s lazy game makers that don’t ensure wall glitching is fixed from the start. This kind of “fix” could have been applied from day one and there would be no complaints. If it was so easily done in a patch why wasn’t it done in the developmental stages?

Now that role players have been using it to get into building for RP purposes or exploiters and cheaters using it in PvP or WvW it’s now suddenly something that needs to be “fixed.” Maybe if this game had guild housing like most MMOs have now a days or have guild halls from the start, because GUILD wars this kind of thing wouldn’t stir up any kind of stink.

Players are using a skill to exploit vulnerabilities in the map structure. The skill behaved in a way that they did not intend and some players took advantage of that. Perhaps Anet exhausted other options first and just recently decided to go this route. Just look at the fall damaage bug which has existed since launch and just now got fix in a patch rather than the developmental stages. Either way, the change was justified.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Shivan.9438

I can’t say that in any of the the MMOs I’ve played that any of them have really cared about, or tried to engage the RP side of the community.

We get a few common use areas like taverns or clubs and are expected to make do for everything else. I wouldn’t expect anything different with this.

That’s one of the problems. Role players are here, we exist, we have been for a long time. We have been before raiding, before dungeons, before video games. We’ve been here since Gary Gygax. And yet, we’re still looked upon as red headed step children, or black sheep and always spoken about in hushed tones in video games. Our money is as green as the next person, why not offer up something to us?

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: acey.6142

acey.6142

i am in full support of this update and there should b more like this. (nerf leaps)

Aceskyy- 80 Ranger Cmd- 80 Warrior Cmd- 80 Engineer
Guilds affiliations – Imtl, CoS, HIGH, & DOLO
Ehmry Bay Raider with unicorn bow!

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I wonder if they fixed this “exploit” in the spider guild rush

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Posted by: Dissonant.9357

Dissonant.9357

It’s lazy game makers …

You clearly have no idea what is entailed in software development at all.

Shadowstep/Blink "fixes"

Morsheira.6102

Might I also note on the point that RPers are here and are neglected. If you even look at these forums subsection names there are places for everything BUT RP.
Us Roleplayers are here but we are not even awknowledged. We pay money just the same as everyone else but we don’t even get something as simple as our own forum thread? Much less any consideration in game changes. Apologies if that sounds harsh but it is the truth of the matter. I know A large number of RPers who dump hundreds of dollars into the gemstore for items for appearance and what not and yet existence is forgotten. I know we make up a small population, but to those saying we need to get out there more and do things if we want to be recognized and be considered in changes…. well…..

Yes these are sore spots, but really though this was not the intention of the update as things were broken. In the end by restricting further what we have found for ourselves, it is only rubbing the salt in the existing wound that RPers and the relatively simple things that keep many of us happy, really isn’t considered in any of the changes made in GW2.