Shards of a Thorn reward

Shards of a Thorn reward

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

I just completed the scavenger hunts and the last vision quest, and yet was not given a choice as to which form the blade should take. I completed it on a condi reaper and was given a shield. A shield. That i cant even use by my profession…

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Well, it’s an account bound weapon, so you can transfer it to a different character. But that’s very weird that you weren’t given a choice of weapon; mine made me choose.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

That’s odd. I’ve done the last fight twice, once for me, once for a friend, and each time a circle of weapons showed up with the option to take any one of them. When I selected Dagger for my Reaper, I got an “are you sure?” prompt.

Was your camera zoomed out? Was there only one green star to interact with instead of a circle of five stars?

You may be able to persuade Support to swap out the weapon for the one you wanted. Or you could run the chain again on an alt (though you’ll have to craft the mats this time, and that will take some spiritwood and deldrimor along with other stuff) and see if you get a choice.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Khailyn.6248

Yea, I was given no choices, just bam here you go. Only really wanted the Greatsword and to be done with it since i dont particularly like heart of thorns, or the idea of doing it over again.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

That can’t be.

It shows your character in a circle 5 times over, are you sure you didn’t just auto accept the closest npc to you ?

Shards of a Thorn reward

Donari.5237

Well, you don’t have to do Hearts and Minds again, you can go to Miyani for more broken ones when on the “bring me the broken one” step. Though you might need an alt who’s been in H&M, I’m not sure, I ran that story a zillion times to do my ley armor collection for the ascended box so I’m not short of available alts for this.

I would contact Support if you truly aren’t interested in doing multiple runs to get all 5 ascended weapons. While you’ll still have the shield skin, they can’t strip that out of your Wardrobe, they may not consider that an issue if you have your ascended shield deleted to get the gs instead.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The choice is who you walk up to. The dialog is the confirmation.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Clearly you didn’t take the moment to take a look at the NPC’s around you and just click on the npc and not read anything.

You can now at least craft the other items apparently.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Clearly you didn’t take the moment to take a look at the NPC’s around you and just click on the npc and not read anything.

You can now at least craft the other items apparently.

Not quite. You can craft the items needed to redo the “quest” on other characters. Though it is more like you must craft if you want to do it on another character.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Khailyn.6248

I cant really explain it. as soon as i picked up the weapon without any sort of selection it went straight into ‘be a shield of blah blah blah’. i did initially put in a ticket however cancelled it after Dulfy updated their guide on how to change the weapons form for unbound magic in home instance.. So w/o doing HoT over i unlocked all 5 skins that way for the achievement. If anyone else runs into this problem, as unlikely as that may be, that is what i would do.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I cant really explain it. as soon as i picked up the weapon without any sort of selection

You weren’t paying attention. There were 5 npcs in a circle around you. Each one offered one weapon. That was the selection.

And, as you noticed it, you can change your decision later on by paying only 1000 unbound magic.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: KWman.3012

KWman.3012

there is an easy fix

https://youtu.be/ZPuyzaQS3yg

Yes, I am a Champion of an Egg.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

If you use unbound to exchange it for a different one, can you keep doing it to unlock all skins?

Shards of a Thorn reward

RoseofGilead.8907

If you use unbound to exchange it for a different one, can you keep doing it to unlock all skins?

Yes, you can. The last skin you unlock will be the weapon you end up with, too. So, if you want to keep one particular kind of weapon more than the others, make sure you save that one for last.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: ron.6157

ron.6157

I to have a major Kitten on this I just got all the scavenger hut parts done and find I now need a vision crystal I don’t craft or do fractals and PVE
and will not spend money just to get in to lava lounge to get a salvage tool
did any one at Arena Net stop to think that people by choice do not craft or do PVP fractals yet in PVE all I ever hear is you don’t need ascended gear Well I say KITTENS
I busted my kitten just like every one else to do HOT and get it done now that there is a chance to get an ascended item based on that I get KITTENS Tossed in my face and told tough luck go do something other then PVE your not worthy of an ascended weapon or armor

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

You can get one for free at the end of the daily reward cycle. Pick ascended materials.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Randulf.7614

I to have a major Kitten on this I just got all the scavenger hut parts done and find I now need a vision crystal I don’t craft or do fractals and PVE
did any one at Arena Net stop to think that people by choice do not craft or do PVP fractals yet in PVE all I ever hear is you don’t need ascended gear Well I say KITTENS
I busted my kitten just like every one else to do HOT and get it done now that there is a chance to get an ascended item based on that I get KITTENS Tossed in my face and told tough luck go do something other then PVE your not worthy of an ascended weapon or armor

Most of this I couldn’t really decipher, but why do you need to go to a lava lounge to get the ascended salvage tool? There are other places these are available from, including fractals and I believe a Laurel Vendor

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: telliani.5902

telliani.5902

You can exchange it:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5vn88z/sword_taxonomy/

“Hello everyone. I am still working on the video for this but I wanted to share with everyone here now. The achievement sword taxonomy can be completed without completing the quest again. You only need to do the quest once.
Once you have completed it and you have your reforged ascended caladbolg weapon, take it back to any home instance. (will have to wait for reset – get your mail about the pale tree – then you can find Ridhais)
Talk to Ridhais and for your ascended weapon and 1k unbound magic she will allow you to choose another weapon. Repeat until the achievement is done.
This allows you to trade in the weapon to reset the stats on that weapon or choose another ascended weapon type from the collection list (dagger, scepter, shield, greatsword, sword). You will lose all sigils and infusions so beware of that.”

Geigi (Queen of the Dredge) – Mesmer
[HOPE] – Hope Remains, Crystal Desert

Shards of a Thorn reward

Donari.5237

Yes, you can. The last skin you unlock will be the weapon you end up with, too. So, if you want to keep one particular kind of weapon more than the others, make sure you save that one for last.

Rose, I must correct you. I just did the run through on this. I had the dagger, which is the one I wanted to keep. Second choice for me was scepter (I have ascended sword, shield, and gs already from older content). So I carefully cycled to get scepter last, figuring I could then run the story again and spend mats to get the dagger as I have enough for one weapon. But Ridhais still offered me the swap.

Perhaps you had used up your unbound magic so you thought you couldn’t swap more? Or maybe Ridhais won’t offer it next time I show up in the instance? Regardless, I certainly was able to cycle back to the dagger I started with during my first interaction with her, and then close and reopen dialogue to still get the vendor window.

Shards of a Thorn reward

RoseofGilead.8907

Rose, I must correct you. I just did the run through on this. I had the dagger, which is the one I wanted to keep. Second choice for me was scepter (I have ascended sword, shield, and gs already from older content). So I carefully cycled to get scepter last, figuring I could then run the story again and spend mats to get the dagger as I have enough for one weapon. But Ridhais still offered me the swap.

Perhaps you had used up your unbound magic so you thought you couldn’t swap more? Or maybe Ridhais won’t offer it next time I show up in the instance? Regardless, I certainly was able to cycle back to the dagger I started with during my first interaction with her, and then close and reopen dialogue to still get the vendor window.

Ah yeah, you’re right. I forgot that I specifically got just enough unbound magic for it. So, yup, you can keep going after you unlock all the skins, as far as I know (she’s still in my instance anytime I go back in).

Shards of a Thorn reward

Randulf.7614

Seems weirdly exploity in some ways though. I wonder if they intended for players to cycle through at will to complete the achievement

Shards of a Thorn reward

Donari.5237

I think they have very nicely given us a way to swap weapon type at will on just one weapon (within five types aimed at making sure every profession can use one), along with a materials-intensive way to get extra ascended weapons. I will probably spend the mats on getting a scepter to go with my dagger, after I do a little research to compare the costs of just making a scepter from scratch.

Shards of a Thorn reward

ron.6157

I do not craft I do not do Fractals or PVP the drop rate on the vision crystal is a joke
after 20 gold and laurel on salvage tools no luck and login reward the same no luck
so in less there is some place to out right bye one I get to sit a round for 30 days and pray
nice job Arena Net just goes to show you don’t give a darn a bout the pure PVE players
I have never liked to craft or salvage every thing I have and did the one item I do want
now slips a way while I see people in game saying there done not just one of the 5 items
or skins but all 5 in one day so so bad take the crafting take it all ban my account I don’t give a flying KITTEN you blew this one

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: felincyriac.5981

felincyriac.5981

there is a vision crystal option for day 28 login reward right?

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I get one each and every month. I have a ridiculous number of them sitting in my bank, while I’m still crafting the minor one once in a while.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618

VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618

I just crafted the vision crystal. Had all the mats in storage. And then some. Could fill some bags with vision crystals. These things aren’t hard to get at all.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Eudoxus.5302

Eudoxus.5302

As a PvE player, I never had any problem to craft any Ascended piece. Materials are everywhere and especially Vision Crystal is cheap (you do not need to buy anything at TP). You only need 500 Bloodstone dust, 500 Dragonite ore and 500 Empyreal fragments, one minor thing (Augur stone – 20 Spirit shards) bought from Myiany and some Obsidian shards. That’s all.
Bloodstone dust, Dragonite ore and Empyreal fragments are everywhere, I have something like 5000-15000 of each of those materials in my bank just from simply playing the game.

BTW, those Vision crystals are a normal part of every Asc. weapon and you need one for every Asc. armor set, so I can imagine that almost everyone is crafting them from time to time. I did a lot of them for my 7 or 8 Asc. armor sets and more than 20 Asc. weapons.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

re: the drop rate on the vision crystal is a joke – There is no RNG on the vision crystal. You choose the “Chest of Ascended Crafting Materials” from the “Chest of Loyalty”, and you get one.(along with a randomly chosen ascended crafting material – but the vision crystal is always there)

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

Has anyone tried re-skinning one of these? If so, can they be stat-changed after that?

Shards of a Thorn reward

ron.6157

ok one last time I DO NOT CRAFT no way no how I don’t use chest of loyalty to get mats for something I don’t do so getting some thing I never use is pointless

but that is not what ticks me off it the fact to do the achievement and get the sword I now must do just that us the chest when it come up to get it one might think in all the achievements for this set on current event that the crystal could have been a reward for all the leg work so now that my point is clear maybe Arena Net might think of a way a pure pve player can get ascended gear like armor and weapons with out having to craft

Shards of a Thorn reward

RoseofGilead.8907

so now that my point is clear maybe Arena Net might think of a way a pure pve player can get ascended gear like armor and weapons with out having to craft

They did; get the Ascended materials option for the monthly chest that you referenced already. I understand that you don’t want to craft (many people do not care for it), but sometimes you’re going to have to step out of your comfort zone and do things you might not love to do. At least, in this case, you can just do absolutely nothing but wait until that reward chest comes up again, choose ascended materials for one time only, and then continue on with your normal gameplay. Although, I’d personally opt just level up one of the cheapest crafts to 500 just so I would have one ready for cases like this . . .

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Eudoxus.5302

Eudoxus.5302

ok one last time I DO NOT CRAFT no way no how I don’t use chest of loyalty to get mats for something I don’t do so getting some thing I never use is pointless

Hmm, then probably you simply cannot have everything in this game, because crafting is an integral part of the PvE part of the game.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Randulf.7614

The Chest of Ascended Crafting Materials from login will not only gain you the crystal, but also ascended mats you can sell if you choose not to craft. No crafting required.

One other way is a random drop through things like the Star of Gratitude. No crafting required.

Salvaged from ascended gear gained from pve such as drops or collections. Tool is available from a laurel vendor.

That is three ways you can obtain it without ever having to craft anything ever. Anet cannot cater for every type of player and how they each individually choose to play any given mode. At some point or other, players have to cross over into game modes they would not normally. Such is the way of MMO’s.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

but that is not what ticks me off it the fact to do the achievement and get the sword I now must do just that us the chest when it come up to get it one might think in all the achievements for this set on current event that the crystal could have been a reward for all the leg work so now that my point is clear maybe Arena Net might think of a way a pure pve player can get ascended gear like armor and weapons with out having to craft

With the change to buying ascended off of vendors, I’m fairly certain Anet wants everyone to have max crafting if they want any ascended gear except for lucky drops. Plus as a PvP only player you really don’t need ascended anyways. In addition, getting the ascended mats is not a waste because you can just sell them for extra gold.

Shards of a Thorn reward

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

if you chose the wrong one, wait a (real) day, visit the pale tree in the omphalos chamber, then find ridhais in your home instance. Throw your caladbolg form and 1000 unbound magic at her, choose the other wrong one. rinse and repeat until you cycled through all of them and got the one you want. Now you have the original caladbolg skin and the 5 ascended skins, one of them being your ascended weapon.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.