Shared Inventory Slot [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Having this in a static location really does offer the ability for us to have this now. To make it movable and customizable like would have needed to add a few times more devs to the project and a LOT more time to try to make it work and that may have meant that it may not have been deemed worth it to include at all.

Yup, as a programmer myself I get your point.

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

This came up when the Shared Inventory Slots were first released, and if I remember correctly someone at Anet agreed it would be good to be able to move them and said they’d look into doing it in future.

For now I’ve settled for keeping mine minimised, but I would much prefer to be able to move them to the bottom.

Would it be nice? Yes, of course. Options always are. But considering having the ability to move them even to another static location would require many, many more times the lines of code to make sure it wouldn’t break other inventory items, is that really something we want Anet to dedicate that much time over? And even if they made it so it could be moved to the bottom, you would have 20 more people screaming ‘I want to put in in the third/fourth/etc. slot’.

Maybe towards the end of an expansions content they may have the time to dedicate, but for now they gave out something for free that people just want to complain over. And people even saying that they don’t need to say thank you for it in order to complain.

Nobody in this thread is complaining. As stated before, offering suggestions for improvement and complaining are not the same. If you want to make personal attacks on someone that is actually complaining, there’s another thread that was just created by someone doing just that.

We also do not know how much coding would be involved in implementing a change so the slots could be arranged like bags. Even then, there’s still nothing wrong about offering suggestions as we don’t know how much coding would be involved in any suggestions we make for that matter.

First of all, you’re the one who claims that Anet does not even have to be thanked for that. You just went right into the “suggestion”. And yes, the way many are offering suggestions are indeed complaints because they are unhappy with it as is.

As for the coding, stop and think about it. These are SHARED inventory slots. Let’s say someone moved it to slot 6 on one character, but another character does not even have slot 6 unlocked. Oops, the code has to take that into account. It also has to be written to point to the same item in MULTIPLE locations instead of just one static one. That has the potential to be a nightmare for coding and memory management for that level of customization.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

If I can’t move these things to the bottom I’d like to have this free slot removed, actually. I don’t need it and it completely messes up my inventory layout. Again.

I bought 5 shared slots when they were first released and had to get a 15 slot bag on all my characters to realign everything just the way I want it. What am I to do now? Get 14 slot bags? Buy 4 more slots I don’t need?

Wildkitten.3872

If I can’t move these things to the bottom I’d like to have this free slot removed, actually. I don’t need it and it completely messes up my inventory layout. Again.

I bought 5 shared slots when they were first released and had to get a 15 slot bag on all my characters to realign everything just the way I want it. What am I to do now? Get 14 slot bags? Buy 4 more slots I don’t need?

Just click the option to hide the slots. A company can’t cater to every person’s variation of OCD.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Manasa Devi.7958

They could’ve made it a 0 gem purchase.

There’s no option to hide the slots.

Wildkitten.3872

Each bag, even the shared inventory one, has an Arrow to collapse the bag thus hiding the contents or empty slots of that bag.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Manasa Devi.7958

Not if you don’t show bags to begin with. And why would I want to hide the 5 I chose to purchase?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Each bag, even the shared inventory one, has an Arrow to collapse the bag thus hiding the contents or empty slots of that bag.

That only works if you keep your inventory divided into separate bags.

If you’re using the option to show bags (which a lot of people do) then the shared slots are always displayed, with all the other slots following immediately afterwards.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Manasa Devi.7958

Of course they shouldn’t give things for free that come with unwelcome consequences. Would you thank someone who gives you a smelly kitten as a birthday present?

Danikat.8537

Not if you don’t show bags to begin with. And why would I want to hide the 5 I chose to purchase?

I actually do keep my shared slots hidden. Although I’m hoping it will only be a temporary fix until I can move them to the bottom.

I don’t keep anything in there I need quick or constant access to, only things I want to access on all my characters (like revive orbs, my kite and quaggan tonic and periodically gathering tools) so I don’t want them sitting at the top of my inventory taking up space every time I open it. 9 times out of 10 when I open my inventory it’s to quickly check what I’ve picked up in the last few minutes/hours of playing, not to see stuff I know I always carry with me.

Fortunately I’ve always kept my inventory separated by bag (my filing system would look utterly random otherwise), I can imagine how annoying these slots are for people who don’t want to do that. Especially for people who had already decided they didn’t want or need one and it’d be irritating, and now have it anyway.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Incredibly nice! Thanks Anet!
Should be movable too.

Wildkitten, do you notice YOUR comments have spread way more negativity in the thread than anyone of the “complainers”? Just a thought.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Wildkitten.3872

Of course they shouldn’t give things for free that come with unwelcome consequences. Would you thank someone who gives you a smelly kitten as a birthday present?

LOL Your analogies are ridiculous. The vast majority of people see this as something useful and are grateful for it.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Necromus.9276

Necromus.9276

THANK YOU ArenaNET! I for one appreciate the fact you try to make things easier on the players and give us tools and items to accomplish that. You didn’t have to do any of the stuff you did in this update, but it shows you care about your players. Please forgive all the ungrateful people complaining about stuff in this update. They will come around eventually.

“Building a wall is like fighting a war…”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

This came up when the Shared Inventory Slots were first released, and if I remember correctly someone at Anet agreed it would be good to be able to move them and said they’d look into doing it in future.

For now I’ve settled for keeping mine minimised, but I would much prefer to be able to move them to the bottom.

Would it be nice? Yes, of course. Options always are. But considering having the ability to move them even to another static location would require many, many more times the lines of code to make sure it wouldn’t break other inventory items, is that really something we want Anet to dedicate that much time over? And even if they made it so it could be moved to the bottom, you would have 20 more people screaming ‘I want to put in in the third/fourth/etc. slot’.

Maybe towards the end of an expansions content they may have the time to dedicate, but for now they gave out something for free that people just want to complain over. And people even saying that they don’t need to say thank you for it in order to complain.

Nobody in this thread is complaining. As stated before, offering suggestions for improvement and complaining are not the same. If you want to make personal attacks on someone that is actually complaining, there’s another thread that was just created by someone doing just that.

We also do not know how much coding would be involved in implementing a change so the slots could be arranged like bags. Even then, there’s still nothing wrong about offering suggestions as we don’t know how much coding would be involved in any suggestions we make for that matter.

First of all, you’re the one who claims that Anet does not even have to be thanked for that. You just went right into the “suggestion”. And yes, the way many are offering suggestions are indeed complaints because they are unhappy with it as is.

As for the coding, stop and think about it. These are SHARED inventory slots. Let’s say someone moved it to slot 6 on one character, but another character does not even have slot 6 unlocked. Oops, the code has to take that into account. It also has to be written to point to the same item in MULTIPLE locations instead of just one static one. That has the potential to be a nightmare for coding and memory management for that level of customization.

No. I never said that and you’re just twisting what I said. What I said was that thanking them wasn’t necessary in order to make a suggestion about something. By your reasoning then all suggestions are complaints. i wonder how many sugges… er, complaints that you have made.

You’re going off speculation on what could be. The fact is that you do not know as only Anet does. In the end, this is something for Anet to decide if it is worth doing and you cannot tell people that they cannot make the suggestion and then insult them when they do.

Manasa Devi.7958

I asked for them to make it possible to move them to the bottom the first day they were offered. When it became clear that wasn’t going to happen, I dealt with it. And now they’re messing it up in a manner that the fix I came up with and got used to can’t fix. I also have no need whatsoever for a 6th slot. Don’t expect gratitude.

Wildkitten.3872

Incredibly nice! Thanks Anet!
Should be movable too.

Wildkitten, do you notice YOUR comments have spread way more negativity in the thread than anyone of the “complainers”? Just a thought.

Yes, I am negative to complainers. I am also the only one in the thread that has actually thanked Anet for this kindness until you did so. But even you made the demand that they be movable, not suggested. (And yes, saying “Should be movable too.” is a demand, not suggestion).

It’s this type of complaining why games, and even all types of companies, give away freebies less and less these days. It would be one thing if someone said ‘This was incredibly nice of you to give us this slot and I thank you for it. But could you look into the possibility of letting us move it to other places or explain why it would be difficult to do’, but that’s not what is happening. What is happening is people are complaining that it doesn’t do what they want from the very beginning.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Wildkitten.3872

No. I never said that and you’re just twisting what I said. What I said was that thanking them wasn’t necessary in order to make a suggestion about something. By your reasoning then all suggestions are complaints. i wonder how many sugges… er, complaints that you have made.

You’re going off speculation on what could be. The fact is that you do not know as only Anet does. In the end, this is something for Anet to decide if it is worth doing and you cannot tell people that they cannot make the suggestion and then insult them when they do.

I didn’t twist what you said at all.

They should just remove it from people’s accounts who have a problem with it and stop offering free items altogether.

So apparently the way you organize your equipment is the only correct way and people who offer suggestions to be able to customize where the slot is are simply complaining and should not have the slot? That’s a pretty close minded way to think. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with offering suggestions. They’re not criticizing the slot but instead asking for a way to customize where they are located.

Did I say that? No. I am also not the one complaining. But yours and other people’s attitude is ‘If you don’t give it to me in the manner I want than I am going to pout like a baby and complain’.

And yes, they are in fact criticizing it because it’s not exactly how they want. What’s so ironic is that the people who criticize Anet for not making each and every little thing customizable in every single possible way also tend to be the ones who whine about why it takes so “long” for new content to come out.

You’re implying it. People are suggesting improvements and you’re taking it as them complaining. You’re even going as far as to justify why it’s fine the way as it is. As I’ve stated multiple times, there’s nothing wrong with people offering suggestions to improve upon the slot. This same suggestion was actually mentioned when those slots were first offered on the gem store so this has nothing to do with whether they are free or not.

If you don’t like people offering suggestions then simply ignore the thread. There’s nothing wrong about asking for a feature that you would like to see.

And yet not a single person has said “You know what a nice thing for Anet to do. They didn’t have to make the Max to 80 boost and they sure didn’t have to put it in a shared inventory slot that they gave away for free. I sure do appreciate that”.

No, it’s just more entitlement mentality complaining where people have to find some form of fault in any little thing that isn’t exactly they way you want it.

No. You’re the only one here seeing it as an entitlement issue. You like the slot as it currently is it appears and apparently people who offer suggestions to improve upon it to fit there playstyle are in the wrong. Why stop there? Anything that anyone offers suggestions to must mean that those players just have an entitlement mentality complaining because they had to find some fault in some little thing that isn’t exactly how they wanted.

I don’t see it as an entitlement issue at all. I think it’s a very nice gesture on their part that they didn’t have to do whatsoever. It only adds value.

It’s all of you who are like “Well this free item doesn’t work exactly how I want it so you need to fix it!!!!”, that’s entitlement mentality. Take a look in the mirror.

People are not demanding it to be fixed. They’re offering suggestions for improvements. You’re so set on people complaining that you’re reading everything colored that way. There a difference between complaining, especially how you describe it, and offering suggestions.

And yet not once have you said “How incredibly nice of them to do this. I sure do appreciate it”.

It doesn’t have to be prefaced with that.

See, you’re even saying that you don’t have to thank them to give suggestions. Well true, you don’t, but that is what makes it a complaint because you don’t even bother showing gratitude for something given to you free of charge. It’s like you expect it and expect it in ways that you want from the very beginning.

But I will bet any amount of money that you are the type who would be among the loudest complainers if they decided to work on your “suggestion” and that delayed something else that was planned. Because that’s typically how it works.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

For saving me from future irritating overly encumbered, no vendor in sight, no salvage room moments, thank you Anet for providing the ability to move certain stuff so I may clean my main bags.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: Owea.3471

Owea.3471

Hey.

Before I start I have to tell that this will be a wierd topic, but it is about a topic which is really bothering me. As today’s patch we had a level 80 char booster with some goodies, which was nice of ArenaNet. Sadly that the booster was presented us in a Shared Inventory Slot. Here is my problem and Im pretty sure Im not the only one;

Shared Inventory Slot is +1 slot on the inventory, so that all my characters’ inventory are ruined. I had 5×20 bag on my main for example, a fine 10×10 inventory is now 101 slot meaning that there is one extra slot is ruining the pattern. Also sadly that Shared Inventory Slot has to be stay on top, which is really really bad option since I’d like my lets say Mystic Kit at the bottom of the inventory.

Like I said this might sound wierd but this Shared Inventory Slot really made me sad, and after spending an hour trying to move / hide or fix it I saw that there is none. So I feel that I had to open a ticket because Im really upset with it (Yes Im wierd) and a forum topic.

Is there any way to remove or hide that slot or at least move to bottom of my inventory ? What do you think about this ? Replies that telling me Im not alone in this will really appreciated.

Best Regards
Owea

Ayrilana.1396

I didn’t twist what you said at all.

They should just remove it from people’s accounts who have a problem with it and stop offering free items altogether.

So apparently the way you organize your equipment is the only correct way and people who offer suggestions to be able to customize where the slot is are simply complaining and should not have the slot? That’s a pretty close minded way to think. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with offering suggestions. They’re not criticizing the slot but instead asking for a way to customize where they are located.

Did I say that? No. I am also not the one complaining. But yours and other people’s attitude is ‘If you don’t give it to me in the manner I want than I am going to pout like a baby and complain’.

And yes, they are in fact criticizing it because it’s not exactly how they want. What’s so ironic is that the people who criticize Anet for not making each and every little thing customizable in every single possible way also tend to be the ones who whine about why it takes so “long” for new content to come out.

You’re implying it. People are suggesting improvements and you’re taking it as them complaining. You’re even going as far as to justify why it’s fine the way as it is. As I’ve stated multiple times, there’s nothing wrong with people offering suggestions to improve upon the slot. This same suggestion was actually mentioned when those slots were first offered on the gem store so this has nothing to do with whether they are free or not.

If you don’t like people offering suggestions then simply ignore the thread. There’s nothing wrong about asking for a feature that you would like to see.

And yet not a single person has said “You know what a nice thing for Anet to do. They didn’t have to make the Max to 80 boost and they sure didn’t have to put it in a shared inventory slot that they gave away for free. I sure do appreciate that”.

No, it’s just more entitlement mentality complaining where people have to find some form of fault in any little thing that isn’t exactly they way you want it.

No. You’re the only one here seeing it as an entitlement issue. You like the slot as it currently is it appears and apparently people who offer suggestions to improve upon it to fit there playstyle are in the wrong. Why stop there? Anything that anyone offers suggestions to must mean that those players just have an entitlement mentality complaining because they had to find some fault in some little thing that isn’t exactly how they wanted.

I don’t see it as an entitlement issue at all. I think it’s a very nice gesture on their part that they didn’t have to do whatsoever. It only adds value.

It’s all of you who are like “Well this free item doesn’t work exactly how I want it so you need to fix it!!!!”, that’s entitlement mentality. Take a look in the mirror.

People are not demanding it to be fixed. They’re offering suggestions for improvements. You’re so set on people complaining that you’re reading everything colored that way. There a difference between complaining, especially how you describe it, and offering suggestions.

And yet not once have you said “How incredibly nice of them to do this. I sure do appreciate it”.

It doesn’t have to be prefaced with that.

See, you’re even saying that you don’t have to thank them to give suggestions. Well true, you don’t, but that is what makes it a complaint because you don’t even bother showing gratitude for something given to you free of charge. It’s like you expect it and expect it in ways that you want from the very beginning.

But I will bet any amount of money that you are the type who would be among the loudest complainers if they decided to work on your “suggestion” and that delayed something else that was planned. Because that’s typically how it works.

It’s because you don’t have to thank them… It’s not a prerequisite. Making a usage still is not a complaint. You can appreciate something and offer suggestions for improvement. Whether or not you’re vocal about the appreciative part doesn’t matter.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

To day most (all) of us got a free Shared Inventory Slot and that is great

but it annoys me that I cant move it to where I like it to be.
atm it is the first slot in my inventory but I really want to move in to the end.
but some may want to move it to the middle idk how most people set up their Inventorys, but if it was possible to move it in between bag slots,
or just move it somehow it had been AWESOME.

share some other ideas if you have some.

Comment from today’s AMA in Reddit

ArenaNetRyanD
Allowing for moving the shared slots around like a bag is a decent amount of work. It’s not out of the realm of possibility, and something we should look at especially if we increase the cap on shared slots much more in the future.

The suggestion in that thread for keeping the shared slots and main inventory separate, even in “Hide Bags” mode is something that may be a reasonable compromise that can be done on a shorter timeframe. No guarantees on if or when, but I’ll take a look when I have some down time.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

Being at the top makes sense as it’s designed for things to be used across all characters, such as bank access, merchants, TP, etc. Being at the top makes it easier and faster for the items to be accessed.

Just amazes me people can always find ways to complain about being given something for free…

“Stop complaining it’s free”… So if someone gives you drugs for free, would you just consume it without complaining? I guess not.. Even if it’s free, if it annoys some people -like me- that it’s in the wrong place and we can’t move it, then let us complain…

Danikat.8537

Fun fact: there’s actually a term for items like this: a white elephant.

“A white elephant is a possession which its owner cannot dispose of and whose cost, particularly that of maintenance, is out of proportion to its usefulness.”

More fun fact: This derives from the tradition, in Southeast Asia, of monarchs giving literal white elephants as gifts. It was a huge honour to receive one, so of course you couldn’t get rid of it, but you also couldn’t do anything with it and elephants are expensive to keep so it could easily end up being more of a burden than a blessing.

(Edit: Just to clarify I’m not unhappy about this. I actually had 5 shared slots already and keep my bags separated and the shared slots hidden so a 6th isn’t a problem for me. But I sympathise with those who for one reason or another didn’t want it and had previously decided not to get one because it would be more of an irritation than a benefit and now find they have one anyway.)

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Wildkitten.3872

Fun fact: there’s actually a term for items like this: a white elephant.

“A white elephant is a possession which its owner cannot dispose of and whose cost, particularly that of maintenance, is out of proportion to its usefulness.”

More fun fact: This derives from the tradition, in Southeast Asia, of monarchs giving literal white elephants as gifts. It was a huge honour to receive one, so of course you couldn’t get rid of it, but you also couldn’t do anything with it and elephants are expensive to keep so it could easily end up being more of a burden than a blessing.

There is literally no maintenance to this unless someone is OCD. And what affects one person with OCD may not affect another person with OCD or affect them differently. Anet can not make every little thing work in every little way each person may wish for it.

And complaining about this is like someone complaining about 3 bag slots with locks on them, or complaining that there is 5 bag slots for free when they want only 4 because having a fifth makes them scroll the inventory.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Manasa Devi.7958

And complaining about this is like someone complaining about 3 bag slots with locks on them, or complaining that there is 5 bag slots for free when they want only 4 because having a fifth makes them scroll the inventory.

No, it’s nothing like that at all. Try again.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Wildkitten, maybe it didn’t occur to you, but there are other threads on the forum and other venues for thanking ANet for the free slot. Maybe those offering suggestions here without thanks attached to them, have thanked ANet in another thread or in another way (buying gems, saying thanks in a different post or in game, etc). You’re assuming that most here haven’t thanked ANet just because they haven’t said in this thread.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here’s the Dev response from the Dev chat today:

[–]ArenaNetRyanD 18 points an hour ago

Allowing for moving the shared slots around like a bag is a decent amount of work. It’s not out of the realm of possibility, and something we should look at especially if we increase the cap on shared slots much more in the future.

The suggestion in that thread for keeping the shared slots and main inventory separate, even in “Hide Bags” mode is something that may be a reasonable compromise that can be done on a shorter timeframe. No guarantees on if or when, but I’ll take a look when I have some down time.

Good luck.

Posted by: Kalibri.5861

Kalibri.5861

Wanna throw my hat in on this as well. Extremely frustrating. Thank you for posting!

Posted by: Kalibri.5861

Kalibri.5861

Super nice of them to give us this cool, free thing! But yeah, I spent time working out my inventory in a way that’s comfortable and useful to me, and this new slot at the top of my bags has jacked up my whole system. It’s very frustrating to me. =\

If there’s any way it could either be separated, or hidden, or shifted dynamically by the player, or simply moved to the bottom, I’d appreciate it hugely. Thank you, ArenaNet!

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

First of all, you’re the one who claims that Anet does not even have to be thanked for that.

They don’t have to be thanked. They make a game. We pay for it. That’s it. We’re not friends. There is nothing in the EULA that requires us to thank them. It’s a nice thing to do and people do it, but it’s not mandatory as you keep implying.

But since it’s such a big bug bear for you, let me get it out of the way..

THANK YOU ANET. I mean that sincerely. This update is seriously impressive and the shared slot is a wonderful gift. I truly appreciated it.

Now, Wildkitten. With that out of the way, can you let people get on with debating the suggestion to move the slot?

A company can’t cater to every person’s variation of OCD.

Now you’re just being a troll’s rear end. They catered to that live streamer. They can cater to whoever they want. It’s not your decision what QoL feature is worthwhile. Get off your high horse. This is a no-mounts game.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

I’d love to buy up many more Shared Inventory slots, but for a QoL feature, expensive

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I was going to create this exact same thread, but I see there are already 2 pages worth of responses.

I also pretty much HAVE to have this at the end/bottom of my Inventory for organizational purposes. I would rather get rid of it completely than have it at the front/top.

Thanks for the gift and all – I’m sure I’ll figure out something to do with it. But at the moment, it’s positioning is causing me headaches.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

I do appreciate the unexpected free slot.

But I also do find it mildly annoying that it’s stuck at the top of my inventory (especially since this has knocked all my inventory arrangement off by 1 for all my characters and I’ll have to rearrange everything).

And for good measure it’s also mildly annoying that the slot is held hostage to the level-80 boost which I might want to save for a future character but instead I have to consume now when I don’t need to level anything.

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

Out of 81 posts, 22 are by Wildkitten complaining about people and arguing how bad and ungrateful they are. I suppose joining this particular discussion aspect of this thread would generate a literally endless supply of replies, and unfortunately I lack the time for that.

So I will leave it at expressing my full support for the idea of enabling the relocation of this completely free, generous and awesome gift from a place where many people do not want it to be. Including me.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

Overall; I like that it’s free.

Mainly it’s annoying because I like to get the bang for my buck and keep things as even as possible so I could buy 4 but then I’d feel like I was cheating myself by not buying the 5-pack.

A solution would be to increase by 4 more next time and either have a 4 pack for the equivalent cost-per of the 5 pack or discount the 1 slot so buying a three pack as well doesn’t hit the gems of anyone wanting to fill out to 15 slots. A half-price discount on 1 slot to 350gem (2800 gem for 5 slots = 560gem per slot, 2800-560 = 2240gem for 4 slots at 5pack price-per, 2240-1890 = 350 4 slot price-per minus 3 pack price) would give everyone a more reasonable shot at an extra slot too if they can’t afford to bulk-buy the big packs and let the big buyers satiate their ordered mindsets

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

CONFESSIONS OF A CRAZY PERSON

Call me crazy.

On my main character, I carry 10 full sets of armor (not counting what I am currently wearing.) Each set of armor also has it’s corresponding weapon. For those of you keeping track, that makes 70 slots reserved for “Fashion Wars”. Yes, I have the “Fashion Collector” title. Yes, I am a Role Player from way back. Instead of paying for my eccentricities with tons of Transmutation Charges, I pay with Inventory space. It also makes changing builds faster and cheaper with different stats for different armors.

With so much space taken up by gear, I need to be very organized. And I am. See the first diagram below. As you can see, I lay my Inventory out in 10 columns, each column housing a full set of gear. These are in Safe Bags so that they don’t accidentally get sorted or sold.

I have 40 slots of “normal” space for adventuring loot. It’s plenty of room. And I can easily look at the window and mentally tell where my normal bags leave off (the top 4 rows) and where the safe bags begin.

Most of the Inventory fits on my screen. I only need to scroll to see the very bottom row (reserved for miscellaneous stuff – food, toys etc.). Of course, if I show bags individually, I could hide the Shared slot. But then I would be scrolling a LOT. So I don’t like to do that.

Now look at the second diagram. This is what I am stuck with after the addition of a shared slot.

I have to pause and think a second about that shifted column. It’s harder to instantly visualize the area shaded in yellow. I don’t want to accidentally put a piece of my head armor in there and sell it off with my loot.

I have one character of every Profession, but I play my “Main” 95% of the time. I really never had a personal need for a shared Inventory slot. Certainly not at the very top. If I have to have one, I want it at the bottom since I wouldn’t be using it a lot.

Seriously… I appreciate the gesture, but I need a Shared Slot about as much as I needed those 9 Queen Jenna minis. I would gladly return the slot if it could be arranged. I would rather have control over my own Inventory.

So yeah, call me crazy. But I bet I’m not the only one. And I am sure other people have different reasons that are just as legitimate. I just wanted to take the time to give the Developers a visual representation of how this can have a tangible negative effect on some players’ Quality of Life.

I didn’t think I would get much out of this update, but the firefight clutter-removal and the restoration of my fireballs – trivial as that may seem – were a long awaited dream. Thank you for that. Please consider doing something about the Shared Inventory slot for those of us that have been negatively impacted by it.

Attachments:

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

Wildkitten.3872

No, it’s nothing like that at all. Try again.

Yes, it’s exactly like that.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Wildkitten.3872

People need to step back and actually think about this for a moment. Think about how inventory items are in relation to a computer database. Each item you put into an inventory has to have a marker in the database pointing to what can be found where. When you create inventory space that crosses multiple characters, it’s actually easier coding and for memory management to have it in a static place.

Let’s examine it this logically. In a static place you can have the shared inventory be called S (for the sake of argument). Let’s say you put your Copper Fed Salvage Kit in the 3rd slot. The pointer for this is going to be S3 on all characters. Now, if you make this moveable, you have to code the database a lot more to account for every potential variable. Let’s say someone puts it on their 3rd bag slot on 1 character, the 6th bag slot on another and the 2nd slot on yet another character. Not only do you have a LOT more coding to make the bag moveable, you now have to have multiple pointers for a single item across however many characters a person has on their account. That almost makes it an exponential growth in how much coding and memory it will take up.

And let’s say you make it so that the only option to move is to the bottom. Well, that also is going to depend on how the inventory is set up in the database to begin with. You may have one character with all bag slots unlocked and another with only the 5 that come with it. So let’s say you move it to the bottom slot. Well, if Anet has it so each bag slot is numbered then the Shared Inventory will be the 6th bag slot on the character with only 5 slots and the 9th bag slot in the character with all 8. Now, if 6-8 are reserved spaces in the coding, yes, that could make it easier to do, however, since you can’t just unlock the 7th slot without first unlocking the 6th, it may not be that way. Making it go to the bottom could be a very extremely difficult process. Not to mention I doubt the majority of players would want it at the bottom as the majority of the use of these slots are for things like Merchants, TP access, bank access which people want to get to quickly.

And Anet on Reddit has already said that they may look at it in the future, but pretty much said it will be difficult to do.

So really, the only realistic option is do we want to go through some very minor inconvenience (and if this is anything more than a very minor inconvenience, then honestly, you need to examine some things in your life) and have Anet do nice things for us, or do we just want to say, nope don’t give us anything for free from this point forward. I somehow thing the vast, VAST majority of people would rather have the free slot.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

That’s… quite a spiel. And a few strawmen. Why is this debate so important to you?

Posted by: Simeonus.9237

Simeonus.9237

I wrote to the support and hope they can remove this 6th slot for me. It disrupts my whole inventory – I don’t want it..

Wildkitten.3872

That’s… quite a spiel. And a few strawmen. Why is this debate so important to you?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/straw%20man
“a weak or imaginary opposition (as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted”

There is nothing weak or imaginary about what I am saying. To make shared inventory movable would in fact require pointers to a single item to cover every possible variation in position the inventory database. There is nothing straw man about that. Ask any programmer. Anet has even said this. From the AMA on Reddit…
“ArenaNetRyanD

The suggestion in that thread for keeping the shared slots and main inventory separate, even in “Hide Bags” mode is something that may be a reasonable compromise that can be done on a shorter timeframe. No guarantees on if or when, but I’ll take a look when I have some down time."

And this particular debate isn’t so much the point as people whining whenever Anet, or any company for that matter, decided to do something nice. You have multiple threads in this very forum of people complaining that Anet has included 2 gold as a reward for completing the Daily meta. At some point it gets ridiculous.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Can someone please clarify:

Is the new max Shared Inventory Slots up to 11, once we used the level 80 boost too? Or is it 10 once the level 80 Boost is used up?

Sorry only got my phone internet atm so can’t play.

Wildkitten.3872

Is the new max Shared Inventory Slots up to 11, once we used the level 80 boost too? Or is it 10 once the level 80 Boost is used up?

You can have a max of 11 now. They gave out the level 80 boost in a free slot to be accessed by any character to try/use it.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Ayrilana.1396

To make shared inventory movable would in fact require pointers to a single item to cover every possible variation in position the inventory database.

That’s not how databases work.

Wildkitten.3872

To make shared inventory movable would in fact require pointers to a single item to cover every possible variation in position the inventory database.

Ok, so let’s say you put your Copper Fed Salvage kit in a slot and the coding isn’t there to point to it. Exactly how do you think it’s going to be there? By magic? No, you have to code it to allow the slot to be wherever it can possibly be and have it be able to point back to any item allowed in there.

I already quote the Anet dev from Reddit who talked about how making it moveable would be work to do. That’s because you have to account for the variation. And do you think you can move it to a different position on each character? Because if you do, then that’s a LOT of work because you will have multiple pointers to a single item rather than one, but if you don’t allow it, then how do you say no to the people who “suggest” it should be? What makes their “suggestions” less valuable than yours?

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

@Hamfast: just toggle the ‘show bags’ inventory option back on. Then you won’t have any problems accidentally putting something that’s supposed to go into a safe bag into the wrong bag.

edit: also, then your normal bags will be uniform again, because the shared slots count as their own bag.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Ayrilana.1396

Ok, so let’s say you put your Copper Fed Salvage kit in a slot and the coding isn’t there to point to it. Exactly how do you think it’s going to be there? By magic? No, you have to code it to allow the slot to be wherever it can possibly be and have it be able to point back to any item allowed in their.

I already quote the Anet dev from Reddit who talked about how making it moveable would be work to do. That’s because you have to account for the variation. And do you think you can move it to a different position on each character? Because if you do, then that’s a LOT of work because you will have multiple pointers to a single item rather than one, but if you don’t allow it, then how do you say no to the people who “suggest” it should be? What makes their “suggestions” less valuable than yours?

It points to it but not in the way that you’re talking about.

Yeah, we all read the dev’s quote. However, you do not know the exact issue. You’re just making it up; an issue most databases resolve fairly easily.

Posted by: Simeonus.9237

Simeonus.9237

Not sure where the Strawman argument is since people are basically demanding it should be movable and shes showing why that would be beyond ridiculously difficult and a waste of resources to do so.

I wrote to the support and hope they can remove this 6th slot for me. It disrupts my whole inventory – I don’t want it..

I hope they do remove it for you, and when you ask for it back later when you decided to go to 10 slots they tell you to stuff it.

FYI it cost only 200 gems less to buy 4(3+1) slots instead of 5

Then this really doesn’t inconvenience you since you just pointed out how easy it is to manage huh?

200 gems less is still 2680 gems I don’t want to spent anytime soon and this +1 slot disrupt me too much. I would rather spent those 2880 gems later if they remove it now.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

You can have a max of 11 now. They gave out the level 80 boost in a free slot to be accessed by any character to try/use it.

This is wonderful, thank you!

Wildkitten.3872

Ok, so let’s say you put your Copper Fed Salvage kit in a slot and the coding isn’t there to point to it. Exactly how do you think it’s going to be there? By magic? No, you have to code it to allow the slot to be wherever it can possibly be and have it be able to point back to any item allowed in their.

It points to it but not in the way that you’re talking about.

Yeah, we all read the dev’s quote. However, you do not know the exact issue. You’re just making it up; an issue most databases resolve fairly easily.

Yes, and he also said it would be work to do. He even talked about having to make compromises to make anything happen in any reasonable time frame.

And for all we know the database could very well have been setup in a way t hat makes it extremely difficult to move to the bottom because of the way you can buy addition bag slots. If they didn’t foresee Shared Inventory ever coming in, even something that seems extremely reasonable could cause a lot of rewriting of the code to even make moving it to the bottom possible.

If there had been 6 shared inventory slots when the game came out, this wouldn’t even be an argument now. I suppose now people will complain they can’t move the starter backpack because they want an invisible bag on top.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus