Shared Inventory Slot [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

To make shared inventory movable would in fact require pointers to a single item to cover every possible variation in position the inventory database.

That’s not how databases work.

Ok, so let’s say you put your Copper Fed Salvage kit in a slot and the coding isn’t there to point to it. Exactly how do you think it’s going to be there? By magic? No, you have to code it to allow the slot to be wherever it can possibly be and have it be able to point back to any item allowed in there.

I already quote the Anet dev from Reddit who talked about how making it moveable would be work to do. That’s because you have to account for the variation. And do you think you can move it to a different position on each character? Because if you do, then that’s a LOT of work because you will have multiple pointers to a single item rather than one, but if you don’t allow it, then how do you say no to the people who “suggest” it should be? What makes their “suggestions” less valuable than yours?

Doesn’t the game already have to do this? Remember which slot you put it in? Regardless of whether it’s a shared inventory slot or a slot in a safe bag or in the starter backpack. Otherwise wouldn’t we have our inventories randomized or condensed every time we switched characters or shut the game down or had the game crash.

I understand that it may be hard to make the slots moveable, I can’t really say as I don’t know the code so I defer to ANet’s comments that it’s difficult enough that it’s not on the priority list for a patch in the near future.

But that doesn’t mean that players can’t voice their opinions that they would like it to be movable. Because one thing that does determine priority is how many people want it. If a majority want it movable, then it’s a higher priority if only a handful want it movable.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Yes, and he also said it would be work to do. He even talked about having to make compromises to make anything happen in any reasonable time frame.

And for all we know the database could very well have been setup in a way t hat makes it extremely difficult to move to the bottom because of the way you can buy addition bag slots. If they didn’t foresee Shared Inventory ever coming in, even something that seems extremely reasonable could cause a lot of rewriting of the code to even make moving it to the bottom possible.

If there had been 6 shared inventory slots when the game came out, this wouldn’t even be an argument now. I suppose now people will complain they can’t move the starter backpack because they want an invisible bag on top.

That’s a poor way to implement a database and I doubt it’s what they did. You do not reference a particular data field based on its position as that just creates issues later on when you expand the database. Every database is able to work around that so I seriously doubt that is the issue preventing them from allow the slots to move.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

But that doesn’t mean that players can’t voice their opinions that they would like it to be movable.

I agree completely. No one has the right to enter a thread and tell others what they can or can’t post. It’s also not anyone’s place to cast judgment on another’s motives for voicing their opinions. If enough people mention wanting something, it may very well be made more of a priority in the future.

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

To make shared inventory movable would in fact require pointers to a single item to cover every possible variation in position the inventory database.

Ok, so let’s say you put your Copper Fed Salvage kit in a slot and the coding isn’t there to point to it. Exactly how do you think it’s going to be there? By magic? No, you have to code it to allow the slot to be wherever it can possibly be and have it be able to point back to any item allowed in there.

I already quote the Anet dev from Reddit who talked about how making it moveable would be work to do. That’s because you have to account for the variation. And do you think you can move it to a different position on each character? Because if you do, then that’s a LOT of work because you will have multiple pointers to a single item rather than one, but if you don’t allow it, then how do you say no to the people who “suggest” it should be? What makes their “suggestions” less valuable than yours?

Doesn’t the game already have to do this? Remember which slot you put it in? Regardless of whether it’s a shared inventory slot or a slot in a safe bag or in the starter backpack. Otherwise wouldn’t we have our inventories randomized or condensed every time we switched characters or shut the game down or had the game crash.

I understand that it may be hard to make the slots moveable, I can’t really say as I don’t know the code so I defer to ANet’s comments that it’s difficult enough that it’s not on the priority list for a patch in the near future.

But that doesn’t mean that players can’t voice their opinions that they would like it to be movable. Because one thing that does determine priority is how many people want it. If a majority want it movable, then it’s a higher priority if only a handful want it movable.

With normal inventory there is only 1 “copy” of that item. In other words it only has to have 1 pointer to it where is because it is only on one character.

In a shared inventory that is in the same position on every character, you can still have a single pointer to it. That shared inventory can be outside of the normal inventory. However, to make the bags moveable you then have to decide if you make it moveable to different positions across all characters or in the same position. But then you have to consider other things. Each character slot comes with 5 bag slots. If a person has the three optional slots unlocked on once character but none unlocked on a second character, and the shared inventory slot is moved to the bottom, is it in the 9th position on all characters or 9 on the first character and 6 on the second? That can cause serious bugs right there if it’s done like that. And if you allow it in a different position on each character then you have to have a pointer for that one item on each character. So if a person has a full 64 characters, that’s 64 pointers for a single item rather than a single one.

Keep in mind programmers usually go with what at the time is the easiest solution. There is no way to imagine every possible future scenario. I have seen these discussions on inventory databases on other games as well where a game simply could not increase their starter backpack size like they wanted because it would have required an entire rewrite of the entire inventory database. If you don’t remember all the code editing that had to be done in advance of Y2K it’s an interesting read and may shed some insight on these types of issues.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

Yes, and he also said it would be work to do. He even talked about having to make compromises to make anything happen in any reasonable time frame.

And for all we know the database could very well have been setup in a way t hat makes it extremely difficult to move to the bottom because of the way you can buy addition bag slots. If they didn’t foresee Shared Inventory ever coming in, even something that seems extremely reasonable could cause a lot of rewriting of the code to even make moving it to the bottom possible.

If there had been 6 shared inventory slots when the game came out, this wouldn’t even be an argument now. I suppose now people will complain they can’t move the starter backpack because they want an invisible bag on top.

That’s a poor way to implement a database and I doubt it’s what they did. You do not reference a particular data field based on its position as that just creates issues later on when you expand the database. Every database is able to work around that so I seriously doubt that is the issue preventing them from allow the slots to move.

So you’re saying the Anet dev is lying when he says it would take some work to make it moveable?

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I’d be so fascinated to see how some of you approach/handle actual real life problems, inconveniences and injustices after reading just a portion of this thread. Just two weeks ago, my Spleen bursts at 7 am on an otherwise insignificant day. I spent 10 days in ICU with massive internal bleeding and pain that can’t be put into words. Then I get out and am trying to do something I enjoy, with my 6+ weeks of no work and minimal movement and hop over to read about today’s patch and see how " this change to my 10×10 inventory system has ruined my life Anet!"…is this all satire or…

Ayrilana.1396

So you’re saying the Anet dev is lying when he says it would take some work to make it moveable?

That’s not what I am saying and you know it.

With normal inventory there is only 1 “copy” of that item. In other words it only has to have 1 pointer to it where is because it is only on one character.

In a shared inventory that is in the same position on every character, you can still have a single pointer to it. That shared inventory can be outside of the normal inventory. However, to make the bags moveable you then have to decide if you make it moveable to different positions across all characters or in the same position. But then you have to consider other things. Each character slot comes with 5 bag slots. If a person has the three optional slots unlocked on once character but none unlocked on a second character, and the shared inventory slot is moved to the bottom, is it in the 9th position on all characters or 9 on the first character and 6 on the second? That can cause serious bugs right there if it’s done like that. And if you allow it in a different position on each character then you have to have a pointer for that one item on each character. So if a person has a full 64 characters, that’s 64 pointers for a single item rather than a single one.

Except all present day databases have solved that issue.

Ayrilana.1396

I’d be so fascinated to see how some of you approach/handle actual real life problems, inconveniences and injustices after reading just a portion of this thread. Just two weeks ago, my Spleen bursts at 7 am on an otherwise insignificant day. I spent 10 days in ICU with massive internal bleeding and pain that can’t be put into words. Then I get out and am trying to do something I enjoy, with my 6+ weeks of no work and minimal movement and hop over to read about today’s patch and see how " this change to my 10×10 inventory system has ruined my life Anet!"…is this all satire or…

No one is saying that in this thread as they were making suggestions. Now there was another thread created earlier today with someone just complaining and doing so not very constructively.

Edit: Ok, just checked and one person hopped into the thread to make a complaint on page 2.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Keep in mind programmers usually go with what at the time is the easiest solution. There is no way to imagine every possible future scenario. I have seen these discussions on inventory databases on other games as well where a game simply could not increase their starter backpack size like they wanted because it would have required an entire rewrite of the entire inventory database. If you don’t remember all the code editing that had to be done in advance of Y2K it’s an interesting read and may shed some insight on these types of issues.

If it was literally at the end position, it would be bag slot 9 no matter how many unlocked optional bag slots one had open. I’m sure the database has to store that Slots 7 and 8 are locked if a player doesn’t have them unlocked.

And I’m not saying it would be easy or that it should have already been done. Like I said in my previous post, I trust ANet’s statements that it’s too difficult and low enough of a priority that it’s not going to make a patch in the near future. You do not have to keep trying to convince me that it’s difficulty. I get that.

My problem with your posts is that you seem to think that everyone who asks for it thinks it’s easy and that they should just be thankful and not post their opinions on whether or not the shared inventory slots should be able to move.

Honestly, I bet 99% of players who have an issue with the shared slots not being movable would be content if they could put the slots either at the top of their inventory or at the bottom (below the locked slots is where the game would have them go, not after the last unlocked bag spot on characters without all bag spots unlocked). I highly doubt that there are very many who would want the shared slots to be in the middle of their inventory.

Edit to add: Should say that I’m not sure if you’re meaning to come off like players who want the slots to be movable should not post. You are, however, coming off that way, at least to some.

(edited by Seera.5916)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

That’s… quite a spiel. And a few strawmen. Why is this debate so important to you?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/straw%20man
“a weak or imaginary opposition (as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted”

There is nothing weak or imaginary about what I am saying. To make shared inventory movable would in fact require pointers to a single item to cover every possible variation in position the inventory database. There is nothing straw man about that. Ask any programmer. Anet has even said this. From the AMA on Reddit…
“ArenaNetRyanD
Allowing for moving the shared slots around like a bag is a decent amount of work. It’s not out of the realm of possibility, and something we should look at especially if we increase the cap on shared slots much more in the future.

The suggestion in that thread for keeping the shared slots and main inventory separate, even in “Hide Bags” mode is something that may be a reasonable compromise that can be done on a shorter timeframe. No guarantees on if or when, but I’ll take a look when I have some down time."

And this particular debate isn’t so much the point as people whining whenever Anet, or any company for that matter, decided to do something nice. You have multiple threads in this very forum of people complaining that Anet has included 2 gold as a reward for completing the Daily meta. At some point it gets ridiculous.

Okay, I’m feeling ranty…. your explanation makes no sense. You mangle computer terminology without seeming to know what it actually means. The majority of my work is in databases and user interfaces and I couldn’t make sense of what you were saying.

This for example….

To make shared inventory movable would in fact require pointers to a single item to cover every possible variation in position the inventory database. There is nothing straw man about that. Ask any programmer. Anet has even said this.

This shows you don’t know how databases work or how pointers work and you’re inventing a limitation that doesn’t exist for a system you know nothing about. And you’re misrepresenting what the Anet dev said. He only said it was hard.

The thing is, the storage of the items is irrelevent. In the simplest case, a modern relational database may retrieve the inventory items with a query along the lines of “select * from … where…” and end that query with “order by …” to sort those items. In this example, if the shared slots were identified in some way (as they would be) the sort might be as simple as “order by shared_slot desc, bag_no”. The “desc” stands for descending in general SQL parlance and would tell the database to return shared slots last.

To be clear, I don’t think this is literally how anet’s database gets the inventory data (I don’t know their database) – it’s just an example of how the order of data can be controlled in some situations regardless of how that data is stored. Now, it’s possible anet has a proprietary database that isn’t relational, but it can’t be as restrictive as you’re describing or the game wouldn’t be possible. But neither of us really knows.

And furthermore, the database is irrelevant altogether because it’s the client that renders the visuals you see, in the order you’re seeing them. And that client can be changed to render things in a different order. I’m not disputing that it might be very difficult to change the client rendering – but I dispute your straw man that this is entirely a database issue.

And let’s say you make it so that the only option to move is to the bottom. Well, that also is going to depend on how the inventory is set up in the database to begin with.

Straw man, as explained above. Separation of data, business logic and presentation layers.

You may have one character with all bag slots unlocked and another with only the 5 that come with it. So let’s say you move it to the bottom slot. Well, if Anet has it so each bag slot is numbered then the Shared Inventory will be the 6th bag slot on the character with only 5 slots and the 9th bag slot in the character with all 8. Now, if 6-8 are reserved spaces in the coding, yes, that could make it easier to do, however, since you can’t just unlock the 7th slot without first unlocking the 6th, it may not be that way. Making it go to the bottom could be a very extremely difficult process.

Ongoing straw man.

Not to mention I doubt the majority of players would want it at the bottom as the majority of the use of these slots are for things like Merchants, TP access, bank access which people want to get to quickly.

You must be aware that people are asking for an OPTION – which is a thing that allows some people to have it their way, and other people to have it a different way. Nobody should be forced to have this at the bottom and it’s disingenuous of you to keep pretending that’s the argument from the side that wants it moved.

And Anet on Reddit has already said that they may look at it in the future, but pretty much said it will be difficult to do.

Yes, but that doesn’t mean people can’t discuss the thing which is what you seem very opposed to.

So really, the only realistic option is do we want to go through some very minor inconvenience (and if this is anything more than a very minor inconvenience, then honestly, you need to examine some things in your life)

Straw man that this is the only option. And I wonder how many minor inconveniences you’d put up with? Have you disabled double-tap for dodge? Why? Isn’t that just a minor inconvenience?

.. and have Anet do nice things for us, or do we just want to say, nope don’t give us anything for free from this point forward.

Actually, I was mistaken. It’s not all straw men. It’s also false dichotomies.

I somehow think the vast, VAST majority of people would rather have the free slot.

Why do you keep declaring that it’s either: 1) a free slot you can’t control OR 2) no free slot at all? Why are those the only choices?

EDIT: Changed B followed by bracket to 2 because it was substituting a happy face, and that wasn’t my feeling at the time of writing.

(edited by Zoltar MacRoth.7146)

Posted by: carlito.8954

carlito.8954

Being at the top makes sense as it’s designed for things to be used across all characters, such as bank access, merchants, TP, etc. Being at the top makes it easier and faster for the items to be accessed.

Just amazes me people can always find ways to complain about being given something for free…

I agree with you 100% !!! They could give every account 100g for free tomorrow morning and someone somewhere will somehow complain about it.

and yes it DOES make more sense to have it as the very first slot on your inventory!

Posted by: Siveoko.2819

Siveoko.2819

Hello … can you please make another line for that shared slot ? I have 8×20 slots ( so it is big inventory) and I have in every line special items like in last I have Bag for crafting materials and one line before is ( Invisible bag ) so everything was moved +1 slot and now I have 1 slot from invisible bag in line for crafting material and in the last line is only one slot from bag for crafting materials :/

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

Just amazes me people can always find ways to complain about being given something for free…

I have the same complain, and I bought this slot a few days ago.
The only thing changed by the fact that one slot is given for free to HoT customers is the number of people having an issue with its location.

Posted by: Westdragon.8945

Westdragon.8945

Don’t get me wrong i am very grateful for this free shared slot, but as someone who likes to have full control over my bags and where every single item is placed this frustrates me greatly.

For example my Copper & Silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matics are located in the third row from the bottom and my ascended mats eaters (Princess, Star of Gratitude, Mawdrey ) are all located at the bottom of my invetory & i do not want to move all those items to the top of my invetory.

This might seem like a really small and stupid thing for most people but it bothers me every time i open my inventory. In my opinion we should be allowed to choose exactly where these slots are located in our invetory.

(edited by Westdragon.8945)

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

As with the lvl 80 boost, it uses a shared inventory slot, so far I have found no way to toggle it to be positioned at the bottom of my inventory.

I keep the “show bags” off, so that I have full inventory grid, right now the lvl 80 boost is always placed as first item in the inventory, with only 1 slot that can’t be moved at all, which is quite annoying as it “moves” items in my inventory while “show bags” is off.

Problem is that I already have lvl 80 characters and I wish to save the boost for a future character. I can’t place it in storage or other inventory slots, and it can only be consumed…

I really hope the inventory slot to be placed at the bottom of everything, as I would do if I ever got actual shared inventory slots, which I would prefer to have on the bottom of the whole inventory grid…
But that’s just my opinion regarding it.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

At the moment there is no way to move the shared inventory slot (and if you bought the ones in the gem store you’d have the same problem).

Anet are aware this is something many players want, and have said they’ll look into it but apparently it isn’t easy to do, so we don’t know when a fix will come along.

Edit: There’s also no way to remove the level 80 boost from the shared slot (and the slot would remain even if you could). It’s aimed primarily at brand new players so they wanted to make it pretty fool proof. This way you can’t accidentally delete the item or the character holding it or forget who has it. Although I’m sure someone will find a way sooner or later.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

I’m in full agreement. I found the shared slot being locked in its position and the inability to put the Boost item into account storage to be poorly thought out. I believe that they want people to use it and are visibly encouraging people with 80’s to buy more character slots. But it’s annoying.

I complained about this in one of my guild’s chats and was basically told I was complaining about a “free” thing and I should be happy about it. So I did use the booster thing on a character that didn’t have all of the level 80 waypoints. And promptly threw out half of the rest of the contents of said boost because I already it or better. Really wish I could have just put that booster into the account storage instead for maybe six months to a year from now when I might get a new character slot or retire one. On the other hand, I have a stack and a half of ToKs so it’s no big loss. Unless they repurpose ToKs in the next big update, of course.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

OP you hit on a solution to your problem… toggle ‘show bags’ back on.

The shared slot becomes its own ‘bag’, and the rest of your bags are uniform and easy to identify.

If you find the single (or more if you buy more) shared slot kinda off-putting visually, then once you use the boost stick something in the slot like a home-portal stone or revive orb or teleport to a friend, and consider the slot as the place where that item is found instead of it being a general bag space.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: Owea.3471

Owea.3471

I got a respond from Gw2 Support and sadly as I tought they are telling me that they cant remove it from the account. I wish that this gift does not trouble me so much. Hope to see the results of their work like Inculpatus talked about as soon as posibble, even able to move it to bottom could great.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

I think we need to try to work towards a solution.
IMO there are two practical solutions Anet is likely to implement, with the third being removal. It would be helpful if people would say which of these would help them in their particular situation:

Hide/Unhide – Shared inventory slots can be toggled as hidden or visible, regardless of show bags setting.
Top/Bottom- Shared inventory slots can be toggled to show at the top or bottom of the inventory.
Removal – Remove the free shared inventory slot form the account.

It would also be nice to know who would find more than one of these satisfactory, (or none of them) and why. But I don’t think we’re likely to get any other options.(than these three) I don’t know that it would be practical to have them be placed at whatever location the player wants.
I’m sorry some of you are bothered by this. I really hate it when my inventory gets messed up. So much so that I have all invisible bags except for the top one on all my characters.(then 3 years later Anet decides to give us the option to put the compact button where it always should have been) :p So I can sympathize, but we need to try and work within Anet’s limitations.

And thank you Anet, for giving all HoT owners a free shared inventory slot, and a free level 80 boost(with associated gear)

<edit, wording – Thanks Mansa>

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Elden Arnaas.4870

Or you could, um, you know, just butt out and leave them alone? If it offends you that they’re having issue with this, then you must really struggle dealing with people out in the real world.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think we need to try to work towards a solution.
IMO there are two practical solutions Anet is likely to implement, with the third being removal. It would be helpful if people would say which of these would help them in their particular situation:

Hide/Unhide – Hidden inventory slots can be toggled as hidden or visible, regardless of show bags setting.
Top/Bottom- Hidden inventory slots can be toggled to show at the top or bottom of the inventory.

It would also be nice to know who would find more than one of these satisfactory, (or none of them) and why. But I don’t think we’re likely to get any other options.(than these three) I don’t know that it would be practical to have them be placed at whatever location the player wants.

I find the removal option interesting, I wonder if Support actually would remove the slot from someone’s account if they asked.

As for me my first choice would definitely be to move them to the bottom. I don’t keep things I need quick access to in the slots, for me it’s all things I use relatively rarely but never seemed to have when I did want them. Things like revive orbs and my quaggan tonic.

My second choice is to keep them hidden. Fortunately I’ve always kept my inventory separated into bags (to accommodate my overly complicated filing system) so I can do this without too much trouble. I just have an extra bar at the top meaning I had to resize the window and rearrange all the others I’ve positioned around it. I can imagine how frustrating it is for people who chose to use the ‘hide bags’ option Anet provided and now are stuck with their inventory out of line.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Hide/Unhide – Hidden inventory slots can be toggled as hidden or visible, regardless of show bags setting.
Top/Bottom- Hidden inventory slots can be toggled to show at the top or bottom of the inventory.

It would also be nice to know who would find more than one of these satisfactory, (or none of them) and why.

I assume you mean shared in place of the bolded *hidden*s.

Either an option to put them at the bottom or having the free one removed would be fine for me. Keeping them separated from the inventory bags even with the “Show bags” option disabled would also work.

Your option 1, the option to hide the slots would do nothing for me. I’d like the 5 I bought visible at all times.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Or you could, um, you know, just butt out and leave them alone? If it offends you that they’re having issue with this, then you must really struggle dealing with people out in the real world.

Not offended. Just amused at the OTT QQ’ing over something you got for free.

Ayrilana.1396

With the exception of one person, there isn’t any QQ’ing.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I have understood that they just kind of added this to all the accounts with expansion?

Going with that info, it would be nice if they made the slot an item you could use and only then it would be added. People could be free of it if it doesn’t happen to suit them at that moment.

I’m glad that Anet has said they plan to look at the location of the shared inventory, I feel for those who are irritated by it.

Options, folks.

let the sky fall

Posted by: Moon.7310

Moon.7310

Well, for me the best solution would be if the slot could be moved to the bottom. I would probably then even buy some additional slots.
But if that is not possible, I wouldn’t mind either having it invisible permanently or even removed. Both would be fine.

Posted by: djaim.8472

djaim.8472

this thread is not easy to follow cause of wildkittens useless discussion (i am not a programmer i don’t want to think that way, i am a customer i think like a customer, i don’t complain in the first i say what i don’t like on the product i paid for – twice + gems :P ; i don’t have wished for the slot although the initial idea of giving it was nice – so thnx anet for the idea – but i don’t asked for it in the first way and now my compact view is messed up like the one of many of those who are completely wrong organized as wildkitten stated) but +1 on make it somehow movable or find another solution to make it not count as first slot in compact view …

Celtic Lady.3729

this thread is not easy to follow cause of wildkittens useless discussion

I agree. And his/her arguments aren’t even accurate from a modern programming standpoint. Much of what is being purported isn’t even really relevant to the discussion. And no, a customer doesn’t have to be an expert in the field to have an opinion on their own gameplay. Suggestions don’t equal complaining.

And it only makes sense to have the shared storage at the top if a person’s personal way of organizing causes that to make sense. Otherwise, it makes more sense to have it elsewhere. I get it that they had to put it somewhere, although someone suggested that the shared storage be an optional add-on. Don’t know how hard that would be, but it sounds like a good option to be able to opt out of it if you choose.

Celtic Lady.3729

You’re just as guilty as they are because you’re QQing about their supposed QQing. And let’s be honest here – QQing about other peoples’ concerns is way more annoying than the original concerns expressed could ever be.

Posted by: Dorid.1793

Dorid.1793

Thank you ANet for the Free Slot, but can I organize my equipment and don’t get screw up with each update?

I would like to see option for those slots to be separated even in “Hide Bags” mode.

Guild: Myth Andaar [MA]
“Rigor mortis, habeas corpus.”
GW2W: Dorid - Builds

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It was a trap to get you to buy more:

Buy a bag slot and do 11×11.
Buy 9 shared slots and do 10×11.
Buy 1 shared slot and do 6×17.
etc.

Posted by: Simeonus.9237

Simeonus.9237

Support told me that they can’t remove this extra slot. So if it disturb you like me you are forced to buy extra 4 slots – it shouldn’t be like that. I can’t even understand why there are 11 slots overall not 10 and you can’t even buy 4 slots for normal price(5pack = 2800 gems – 4(3+1) 2590). It should be really possible to remove this ‘free’ slot..

Funnies thing – it’s ‘bonus’ for buying HoT. Jeez great bonus.. Let me know if you are going to add next slot for next expansion – I won’t buy it.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

They could’ve made it a 0 gem purchase.

There’s no option to hide the slots.

They could have, but they didn’t. Do you really expect that it’s worth their time to adjust this solely for those who don’t want even 1 shared slot?

Mind you, I’m not at all against them spending time to allow folks to move around the full set of SIS (shared-inventory slots), as if they were another bag, so folks could drag them up or down on the left side. I just don’t think any special effort should be made to satisfy a type of minor OCD about having +1 slot.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Elden Arnaas.4870

The point is, if Anet can get it out of their way, it ought to become a non-problem, or even useful to them. And there are probably a good many people that aren’t bothered by this, but would find it far more useful on the bottom. I would suspect that the UI developer(s) on this project made that suggestion early on, but the advice was not taken.

Elden Arnaas.4870

The other day my boss came to visit me at my desk. He had a new tool that would help me do my job. He said that it had to be placed in a certain spot. And put it down between my phone and rolodex. Moving the rolodex left no room for my mouse, which then got moved from the right side of my keyboard to the left. The mouse displaced my stapler and paper clips, which got placed in the drawer. Moving my phone over meant moving my Inbox over, which left no room for my outbox. The outbox got moved to another section of my desk, which displaced my pen/pencil cup, which my boss left me holding as there was no room for it anywhere on the desk, and it was too tall to fit in the drawer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is not a true story, but it’s what it feels like to the people complaining about the shared inventory slot messing up their inventory. It’s like someone went and rearranged their desk without permission, and with no thought for how they conduct their daily work. And told them it had to stay that way.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

They could’ve made it a 0 gem purchase.

There’s no option to hide the slots.

They could have, but they didn’t. Do you really expect that it’s worth their time to adjust this solely for those who don’t want even 1 shared slot?

Mind you, I’m not at all against them spending time to allow folks to move around the full set of SIS (shared-inventory slots), as if they were another bag, so folks could drag them up or down on the left side. I just don’t think any special effort should be made to satisfy a type of minor OCD about having +1 slot.

Of course they shouldn’t fix this “solely for those who don’t want even 1 shared slot”. They should fix it for the many people who requested placement options when the slots were first introduced. They should’ve done that months ago. There was a lot of noise at that time, and that was just from the small minority of people that actually bought them. Me included.

When nothing became of those requests, I bit the bullet and put 15 slot bags in the first slot on all my characters, to realign everything. Now, I’d need to put two 12 slot bags in the first 2 slots to fix it, or buy 4 more shared slots that I don’t need.

It’s got nothing to do with OCD or whatever insult you care to throw at me. I just find it a very clumsy setup to have the narrow left-pane of the bank that shows the inventory not have corresponding starting positions as the rows of my bagless inventory. It makes it harder to find stuff and manage the whole thing.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Posted by: DominiFactum.7103

DominiFactum.7103

I have five Shared Inventory Slots and they appear separately above my current bags. The new Shared Inventory Slot, with the Level 80 Booster appears in this group. This group, above all my other bags has its own open/close arrow on the right so I can close it when I want it out of the way.

My original 8 bags and their contents are totally undisturbed,

I can understand your frustration and for the time being one solution I can see is to buy one Shared Inventory Slot. This should return your current bags to their pristine state, assuming they arranged the way mine are.

(edited by DominiFactum.7103)

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

and yes it DOES make more sense to have it as the very first slot on your inventory!

For people that NEED a shared Inventory slot, I am sure this makes sense.

For people that mostly play just one character and don’t need a shared Inventory slot, it makes more sense to keep it out of the way.

There are two sides to every story. Both sides here have equally valid points for where the slot should be positioned, hence the suggestion to make it’s positioning customizable like the other bags.

And so what if it is hard to do? These guys added entire stories worth of new content every two weeks for two years. I think they’re up to a little database management.

I haven’t programmed in many years, but it sounds like a fairly basic, simple-to-reprogram task to me. I’m betting that the Reddit quote was an off-the-cuff response to what he figured was an unimportant situation to most people. I suspect now they are looking at it a little more seriously, and working on a solution.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: CessCJ.4059

CessCJ.4059

Please Anet, redesign so we can move the shared inventory slot where we want it, or make it a standalone type of inventory. For those of us who didn’t want a shared inventory slot, because it didn’t move, it’s extremely frustrating! I like to have all my character’s inventory, a certain way. It’s just a huge annoyance to have this empty spot, I didn’t want, taking up the first slot in my inventory, and pushing the rest of my inventory back a space.

Quaggan forever.

Owea.3471

@Healix I dont think they aim to do that, I think it was a kind gift to us all, they just did not think how painful the OCD is .)

@DominiFactum You mean they look seprate even if you " Hide Bags " and see you whole inventory as one ? If this is not much to ask could you share a screenshot please ? I tought so too getting 1 more slot and changing one bag to 18 from 20 slot, but I’ve 0 gems and 300 gold, trying to get some ascended for my alt and I really dont want to spend 150g-ish to get that.

Hoping that ArenaNet at least let us move these shared slots to bottom of our inventory as soon as posibble. I thank you all for your support.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

You are not alone.

I saw many players request for the slot to be movable when it was first offered as I/they felt that where ANet decided to add the slot causes chaos to their sorted inventories. Because of this, many desired (and expressed this desire) to be able to move it/them to the bottom so they didn’t need to re-sort the entire inventory on every character again.

I know some that did not purchase this slot simply because they didn’t want to have to re-organize the inventories of 20-60 characters. I had to go through this for my 23ish characters when the slot first released and I purchased a couple of them. I hated wasting hours re-organizing everything on them just because it could not be hidden or relocated.

With ANet having opted to not heed the expressed desire of many players and to put in the effort to make it movable, they’ve now decided, months later, to force it on anyone who happened to have purchased HoT. It was a real nice gift, no disagreement there. Unfortunately the negative side of this gift is unwelcome by many and it cannot be ‘returned’.

I’ve escaped having to re-sort 23 character inventories once again with this gift due to my not owning HoT. Knowing that this gift awaits me if I were to purchase HoT, and that I would then need to re-sort my current 23 inventories once again upon purchasing it, is actually adding to my reasons to not purchase it.

Sadly, I know one player who does have HoT who has now quit the game for the time being due to this gift being forced onto them and ruining the sorted inventories of their 60 characters. They intentionally didn’t buy it from the gem store because it would do just that. Now, because ANet did not take the time to make it movable (as previously requested by many) before forcing this slot onto them, they would rather quit playing altogether than spend hours upon hours doing nothing but re-sorting 60 inventories due to everything being shifted over 1 single slot.

It is quite a disappointing situation, one that I hope will be resolved sooner rather than later by their putting in the time to offer this option to allow the slot(s) to be hidden/movable/disconnected from other bags in compact view.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

FYI – there’s already a thread about this. Maybe this should be merged with that.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Shared-Inventory-Slot-1/page/3#post6109367

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

That is the exact reason why I didn’t buy it from the gem store. And now I got it anyway.

Owea.3471

@StinVec.3621 : I’ve only 6 characters, that re-arranging all the inventory is time consuming, but has a solution. The re-arranging wasnt problem for me, like my chars if you had 5×20 bags, you can have a nice 10×10 grid when you drag your inventory to do so, but now I’ve one extra at the bottom as a new row, also one occupied slot at the top of inventory aswell. (I still know and see people mocks me for this, but this is really getting me)

The most joy I get from this game is going and advanture like fractals or HoT maps and coming back to Hoelbrak to clear my inventory, which you cant now with that first slot being there To be honest I stopped playing for 2 days and Im a guy that plays 45 hours a week, but this reason seem to silly for me to stop playing (Tried to convince myself for it ^^ )

@Zoltar MacRoth Im sorry I havent seen that topic. Mods will know the best about it.

@Anyandrell Exactyly. I wouldnt get it from the shop even if it was giving free to prevent all these inventory problems.

All I can think of is getting one more shared slot for like 150g (almost half of my hard earned gold) and change a 20 slot bag into 18 bag..

I thank you all once again.

Posted by: Esty.8352

Esty.8352

I too do not like the position of the free shared slot. When I first starting reading this thread, the first solution that came to mind would be to just provide a Hide/Show Shared Slots option in the Inventory tool panel (above or below Hide/Show bags). This was also mentioned above by Elden Arnaas.

It would solve the issue for those of us who like their bags setup a certain way, whether we Show or Hide bags. Since it doesn’t get involved with the complications of bag or slot postioning across alts, I would think it would be quick fix. It may not be the best solution, but it is probably the best we could get in the short term.

And although someone mentioned it could be seen as a “white elephant” to some people, I am surprised that no one has mentioned that although it was free, it seems like it could also be a tactic to get more sales of Shared Slots. I am sure there are players that weren’t even aware of that feature but they sure are aware of it now. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s possible their motives for providing it may be more about sales and less about helping the community. They are in business after all.

And if their motive is to drum up sales, why would they want to give players the option to hide it. They would rather have it in your face reminding you that you can get more Shared Slots – free advertising in a way. I wouldn’t be surprised if after a period of time when they feel most players have made up their mind on whether to buy more slots, they will come up with one of the suggested solutions and the problem will go away.

Hamfast.8719

Yes! If allowing us to move the Shared Slot is too hard (I seriously doubt that), then at the very least, let us HIDE it! (See picture below).

And if their motive is to drum up sales, why would they want to give players the option to hide it.

What some call “drumming up sales” others call “angering existing customers”.

Think about it. The Bobblehead April Fools prank came with mixed reviews. Some people loved it, and it infuriated others that there was no way to “turn it off”. This is the same thing. Stop forcing things on us. Give us OPTIONS. Let us turn things on and off.

Other personal OPTIONS I wish we had:

• I generally don’t like moving at “super speed”, yet it is considered a “boon”. So I can’t do the PACT COMMANDER Mastery to get a few of the neat benefits, because then I will also be forever sped up in town with no way to shut it off. And I will never accept an invitation to move out of a map that is closing because I do not WANT to be “rewarded” with a speed boon. (I’m not quite sure how to handle this one. But the essence of it is that I only want Swiftness when I apply it myself. Otherwise – for me – Swiftness feels like a Condition that I wish I could remove).
  • Megaservers. (Yes, the Beast rears it’s ugly head again). I despise zergs. I want to feel that my contribution means something. That is why I opted for a low-population Server when I installed this game. Many solutions abound in other threads that would give us population choice again.
  • Give us more options to get Ascended Gear. (Yes, they’re slowly getting a little better at this. But at some point the Crafters took over the game. I hate crafting, but almost everything requires it after level 80 now.)
  • Let us Toggle the Gliders on and off. I had a devil of a time last night doing Vexa’s Lab because those things kept popping out and making me overshoot the mark. (Plenty of requests for this in numerous other current threads).

Etc., etc. Sorry – getting off-topic. I just wanted to tell ANet (again) that Options Are Always A Good Thing!

Now back to our originally scheduled programming…

Attachments:

Posted by: Kalibri.5861

Kalibri.5861

Wanted to check back in on this… still extremely frustrating. Haven’t found a good solution and showing bags takes up too much space in the inventory UI, not to mention the unused space you see when you scroll to the bottom which subsequently makes navigating bags a chore. I love you ArenaNet, but can you please help us out here?

Owea.3471

Hello guys, We kinda have good news now, way better than before and Im happy about it. Still not the best option but I’ll take it

Hamfast.8719

My bags are orderly again. Thanks! Please consider letting us HIDE the thing now, so I don’t have to choose between scrolling and seeing my chat window.