Shared Tool Slots

Shared Tool Slots

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

A while back when Shared Inventory Slots were introduced many players thought you could use them for infinite gathering tools, but as we know they don’t work when put inside them, so it is not much better than using the bank.
However, an interesting fact about Shared Inventory Slots right now is the maximum number we can have atm i.e. 17, yes maximum is 16 you purchase, but everyone who has HoT get’s 1 additional slot. Which means we are exactly 3 slots short to 20, which is maximum amount of slots for bags. So I was thinking, why not make the last 3 shared slots ones that do indeed allow all our characters to share gathering tools?
These 3 slots would be 1 time purchases each. There would be 1 Shared Foraging Slot, 1 Shared Logging Slot and 1 Shared Mining Slot. Any gathering tool put in these slots could be used by any character.
However, what about the normal tool slots? Well the way I imgined it, it would work like this: If a character has tools equipped in their normal slots and the shared slots, then the ones in the normal slots take priority. So the character will use their own gathering tools before the ones in the shared slots, until the ones in the normal slots are used up or unequipped, only then the tools in the shared slots will start being used by that character.
And yes I know there are players that have multiple infinite gathering tool sets and they would not be happy about this, but hey, same thing happened when normal Shared Inventory Slots were introduced and some players had multiple Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic’s.
And I also know that there could be more than 20 Shared Inventory Slots, but I think these 3 special slots are a good idea regardless of how many Shared Inventory Slots there will be.

Shared Tool Slots

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

A while back when Shared Inventory Slots were introduced many players thought you could use them for infinite gathering tools, but as we know they don’t work when put inside them, so it is not much better than using the bank.

They are a lot better than using the bank

Using the bank
1) waypoint to nearest bank
2) run to bank
3) unequip tools, put in bank
3) switch chars
4) waypoint to bank
5) run to bank
6) take tools from bank, equip tools

Using account wide slots
1) open inventory
2) click on non permanent tools in account wide slots which places permanent tools there
3) switch chars
4) click on permanent tools in account wide slots which equips them

Now account wide slots may not be perfect for this but it’s certainly far better than using the bank to switch.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Shared Tool Slots

Rikimaru.7890

Using the bank
2) run to bank
3) switch chars
4) waypoint to bank
5) run to bank

Using account wide slots
1) open inventory
2) click on non permanent tools in account wide slots which places permanent tools there
3) switch chars

Now account wide slots may not be perfect for this but it’s certainly far better than using the bank to switch.

I come up with a solution to the whole problem, yet instead of writing critique on that you argue on how much shared slots are superior to using the bank to move gathering tools?

Shared Tool Slots

Just a flesh wound.3589

Using the bank
2) run to bank
3) switch chars
4) waypoint to bank
5) run to bank

Using account wide slots
1) open inventory
3) switch chars

I come up with a solution to the whole problem, yet instead of writing critique on that you argue on how much shared slots are superior to using the bank to move gathering tools?

Then don’t use hyperbole to make a false point. Stick to true statements and you won’t have people pointing out that what you said was false.

Otherwise I don’t see a problem with your design. It could work as stated.

ANet may give it to you.

Shared Tool Slots

Rikimaru.7890

Using the bank
2) run to bank
3) switch chars
4) waypoint to bank
5) run to bank

Using account wide slots
1) open inventory
3) switch chars

Then don’t use hyperbole to make a false point. Stick to true statements and you won’t have people pointing out that what you said was false.

I’ll give you false statement. I said “not much better” which can mean anything. As for you, your rant only applies if you have 3 free slots, if you have less you would have to do multiple relogs. Unless you remove some items from other slots, but then you would have to relog anyway to put them back in place. You also forgot about going to WvW to reach the bank. Finally some people have a little something called Permanent Bank Access Express, in which case the bank becomes superior to the 3 free shared slots.

Shared Tool Slots

Just a flesh wound.3589

Using the bank
2) run to bank
3) switch chars
4) waypoint to bank
5) run to bank

Using account wide slots
1) open inventory
3) switch chars

I’ll give you false statement. I said “not much better” which can mean anything. As for you, your rant only applies if you have 3 free slots, if you have less you would have to do multiple relogs. Unless you remove some items from other slots, but then you would have to relog anyway to put them back in place. You also forgot about going to WvW to reach the bank. Finally some people have a little something called Permanent Bank Access Express, in which case the bank becomes superior to the 3 free shared slots.

1) it’s part of your OP and it’s part of the argument you were using to say that account bound slots are insufficient
2) since it’s part of your argument for the need for this item then it’s fair game to point out that it’s false for all who don’t own a permanent bank access and not necessarily true for those who do (I own a permanent bank access and for me the account wide slots are still better than using it).

May I suggest that in the future that you don’t bring up points in your OP that are both not true and that you do not wish to discuss, as everything that’s in your opening post is fair game for discussion.

ANet may give it to you.

Shared Tool Slots

Rikimaru.7890

Using the bank
2) run to bank
3) switch chars
4) waypoint to bank
5) run to bank

Using account wide slots
1) open inventory
3) switch chars

1) it’s part of your OP and it’s part of the argument you were using to say that account bound slots are insufficient
2) since it’s part of your argument for the need for this item then it’s fair game to point out that it’s false for all who don’t own a permanent bank access and not necessarily true for those who do (I own a permanent bank access and for me the account wide slots are still better than using it).

May I suggest that in the future that you don’t bring up points in your OP that are both not true and that you do not wish to discuss, as everything that’s in your opening post is fair game for discussion.

Aha I knew it you are trolling. Because I do in fact have a Permanent Bank Access Express and I know for a fact that the bank is better than a Shared Inventory Slot. Because you can move things in and out the bank by double-clicking which is much faster than pulling it from one slot to another.
So you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. You just came here to annoy me, which I suspected from the start.

Shared Tool Slots

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Using the bank
2) run to bank
3) switch chars
4) waypoint to bank
5) run to bank

Using account wide slots
1) open inventory
3) switch chars

Aha I knew it you are trolling. Because I do in fact have a Permanent Bank Access Express and I know for a fact that the bank is better than a Shared Inventory Slot. Because you can move things in and out the bank by double-clicking which is much faster than pulling it from one slot to another.
So you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. You just came here to annoy me, which I suspected from the start.

My shared inventory slots hold:
- Royal Terrase pass
- Copper-fed-Salvage-o
- Silver-fed-Salvage-o
- Infinite Omnimist Potion
- Consortium harvesting Sickle
- Chop-it-all Logging Axe
- Molten Alliance Pick
- all 5 current LW Season 3 scrolls

I’d say the quality of life increase versus having all those items on the bank is huge.

Just a flesh wounds argument is sound, don’t hyperbole if you want to make a serious argument valid. Shared inventory slots are far superior to bank slots and they function as a value multiplier for a lot of gem store and ingame items.

Your suggestion is basically a quality of life increase versus having to spend a couple of seconds exchanging tools from your shared inventory slots. I’m sure most players would agree that this is a quality of life change.

Shared Tool Slots

Just a flesh wound.3589

Using the bank
2) run to bank
3) switch chars
4) waypoint to bank
5) run to bank

Using account wide slots
1) open inventory
3) switch chars

Actually it’s not faster

To use the bank access
1) open inventory
2) click on each non permanent tool in inventory to switch with permanent tool
3) click on bank access
4) click on each permanent tool to send off

To use tools from the slots
1) open inventory
2) click on each non permanent tool in account bound slots to switch

It’s 2 more steps to use the bank access (open up the bank and send the item off).

Edit: which is much faster than pulling it from one slot to another.
you’re not opening up the hero panel and dragging the tools in order to switch are you? You can click on the tools in the account bound slots to switch from permanent/nonpermanent.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Shared Tool Slots

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Just a Flesh Wound is right. You don’t need to drag anything since you just double click the gathering tool to equip.

I have both the permanent bank express and gathering tools in shared inventory slots, so I am well aware of how to save 1 second.

I wouldn’t mind if they did work from the shared inventory slots, but what’s going to happen when people inevitably go “I bought a set each for my 47 alts and demand a refund!”

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Shared Tool Slots

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I wouldn’t mind if they did work from the shared inventory slots, but what’s going to happen when people inevitably go “I bought a set each for my 47 alts and demand a refund!”

The same thing they did with the unlimited salvage tools when the shared slots became available. Those that bought them shortly before the announcement get refunds for the additional, those that didn’t don’t as they got their gems worth out of them.

Shared Tool Slots

Just a flesh wound.3589

While having account bound harvesting tool slots would be nice, I’m not sure if demand would be enough to pay the price ANet’s going to want to charge. People who want QoL on harvesting tools already have account bound slots now. All they have to do to switch between chars is to remember to open the inventory at beginning and end of the play period and click on the tools in the account bound slots to equip/unequip. My guess is the gemstore price will be 1500-2000 gems for the 3 slots. Is there now enough people willing to spend 1-2 thousand gems instead of switching through the inventory account bound slots? It would be a QoL but the time and effort saved is minimal for the price.

ANet may give it to you.

Shared Tool Slots

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP has posted quite a lot of words, which I think boil down to:
“I’d like to see a shared tool slot, which allows you to share any gathering tool across all characters on the same same account, without need to swap.”

That sounds like a great idea, which is why people have suggested it before. Alternative ideas include a skin wardrobe for tools, separating the animation from the gathering, a way to stack more than 100 or 50 uses, and a few people who have just asked for more shared inventory slots.

Unfortunately, ANet has said, indirectly, it’s not something on their current priority list. It is, apparently, yet another one of those things that sounds simple that turns out to be complicated to implement well. Since they are focused on the features for the next expac, it will probably be some time before we see some movement in this direction.

In the meantime, I’d be happy to see a few more share inventory slots, one of the few gem store purchases for which I’m willing to pay full price.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)