Short draw distances sadden me. . .

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gerwich.1387

Gerwich.1387

I mean, how am I supposed to look down with disdain utmost respect on other people if I can’t see them? :P

Attachments:

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Pretty cool screenshot. It’s too bad there is an ugly cow in it.

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them. As an asura, I do this all the time.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s something that we should see fixed soon.
The character draw distances used to be much higher. But for some bizarre reason they added culling to PvE. They’re addressed the issue in WvW but in PvE we still have INCREDIBLY short draw distances for characters. And I seriously mean incredibly short, like almost the equivalent of a dodge roll in radius -_-.

You can tell it isn’t actually the draw distance (and is instead specifically the other character draw distance) because you can see the NPC’s below you

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Welcome to the wonderful world of culling, there is/was dev talk of scaling this back, removing it or revamping it, who knows. It is annoying and amusing all at the same time.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: vluhd.7562

vluhd.7562

It’s something that we should see fixed soon.
The character draw distances used to be much higher. But for some bizarre reason they added culling to PvE. They’re addressed the issue in WvW but in PvE we still have INCREDIBLY short draw distances for characters. And I seriously mean incredibly short, like almost the equivalent of a dodge roll in radius -_-.

You can tell it isn’t actually the draw distance (and is instead specifically the other character draw distance) because you can see the NPC’s below you

The problem has been made a lot better in WvW, but there are still a lot of times when I’m standing on a tall spot (at a keep or what have you) looking into the distance, when I see a few people running up to the structure.
“About 5 SoR inc to Stargrove,” I’ll say in map chat.
Only to have to immediately append that to, “NO NVM IT’S THE WHOLE ZERG 40+!” following the massive character pop-in.

My point is, if I can see the terrain, I’d like to be able to see some representation of a character on it. Even If it’s a little red blob, as long as I can tell a player is there, and what server they’re from, I’ll be happy.

IGN: Toxicodendron Vox
Dragonriders [DR]

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Not just short draw distances, but no concept of an appearance or location cache.

I ran a quick experiment during the weekend fireworks.

Simply lapping the holo-projector was enough for the game to the group that had gathered and request updates from the server.

By this i mean that even the name tags would be gone once i came round the projector, and they would them slowly pop back in (without any noticable HDD activity, so clearly the armor, weapon and coloring was already in RAM) as the server responded.

At least in PVE you would think that simply keeping a cache of seen people, to quickly load from while waiting for server updates, would not be game breaking.

Posted by: Jyces.9238

Jyces.9238

I think the draw distance is ridiculously short (especially outside of PvP). You think you’re alone in a city, then you take a step forward and a group of other players appears – take a step back, and they’re gone. It is nice seeing other players at a distance. I think they should create a slider/option for this.

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

This made me laugh and for that I am sorry. >.>

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

They are actively working on completely correcting the culling issues in PvE. I believe they said it is a high priority too, so we should be seeing it soon.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

In other news, I’ll be wearing my Guild Wars 2 t-shirt at PAX this year.

The Front:
“I’m not here alone.”

The Back"
“…My friends are still culling.”

Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: elsellel.9243

elsellel.9243

They are actively working on completely correcting the culling issues in PvE. I believe they said it is a high priority too, so we should be seeing it soon.

Boy, I hope this is true. I logged in this evening and the culling problem seems like it’s worse than it was a week ago. Like ridiculously short draw distances. Maybe they’re doing stress/non-stress tests via ninja-patch insertion in one of the latest updates, but it was really noticeably bad tonight. Players running past and disappearing maybe 300 m away.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I mean, how am I supposed to look down with disdain utmost respect on other people if I can’t see them? :P

Now I know why the back of my neck burns when walking down that street in DR.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

In other news, I’ll be wearing my Guild Wars 2 t-shirt at PAX this year.

The Front:
“I’m not here alone.”

The Back"
“…My friends are still culling.”

Guild Wars 2.

Oh god, so much win

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

They temporarily lifted culling less than 2 weeks ago in Frostgorge. It was glorious!

They must be getting close.

Attachments:

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Really cool screenshots there. I can’t believe you played it with persistent nametags set to on. :O

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Mhh… At the southsun crap I was playing at 10 fps when fighting the karka queen. I suppose my game client will crash every single time a big event happen -.-

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I didn’t notice any more lag than the usual either. Amazing to think all these players are there all along you just can’t see them.

Here’s a couple more.

Attachments:

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I didn’t notice any more lag than the usual either. Amazing to think all these players are there all along you just can’t see them.

Here’s a couple more.

Next time turn off the persistent name tags, would have been a lot sweeter to see the ants rather than mostly the names, but, I was there when this happened and I thought to myself did they FINALLY see the light and started letting us see our fellow comrads. Sorely disappointed.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger