Should ANet change the Floppy Fish?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think it’s hilarious, so I guess I have no pity for pixels. I’m sorry you had a negative reaction to it Flesh Wound.

I thought it was worth a thread to discuss it. And I’m glad you like it. I’m reminded now of an old saying that I heard back in the 60’s.

“Everyone to his own taste,” the old woman said when she kissed her cow.

Wonder how the cow felt about that….

Cows don’t have feelings. They’re animals. O.o

/s

You’ve never been around cows have you? Animals do have feelings, not the same as humans, perhaps, but they do have feelings.

And yet you pity this poor fish. How strange…

The /s means /sarcasm, don’t take the post seriously.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I think it’s hilarious, so I guess I have no pity for pixels. I’m sorry you had a negative reaction to it Flesh Wound.

I thought it was worth a thread to discuss it. And I’m glad you like it. I’m reminded now of an old saying that I heard back in the 60’s.

/s

You’ve never been around cows have you? Animals do have feelings, not the same as humans, perhaps, but they do have feelings.

Oh, I didn’t get the /s thing… you kids and your new-fangled expressions back in my day a winky smiley was all we had and we liked it!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

/s

Oh, I didn’t get the /s thing… you kids and your new-fangled expressions back in my day a winky smiley was all we had and we liked it!

Yah. Tone is difficult to get across in print. Has to be spelled out.. :P

Lol.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

lets play a game were we run around murdering things,
oh, but that floppy fish hurts our feelz XD

how many tens of thousands of animals did you massacre for the 900 vials of blood which you needed to make your shiny Nevermore staff? XD

Some of us do have feelings and show it in game. When it used to be a daily to run around and kill the bunnies and other small random wildlife (Ambient Killer), some of us would skip those and do others instead. Killing something that is trying to kill us is one thing, killing just for the sake of killing is another and this fish actually has nothing to do with either.
The animation does not show the fish being killed, it shows it being slowly tortured. There is a difference that any normal human being with any sense of empathy should be able to see.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

This… this is why we can’t have nice things.

We kill animals all the time in game. What is wrong with you.

“We have tiny people following use around against their will. That’s slavery, I want them removed from the game.”

kitten

Some folks feel pretty uncomfortable when presented with, eg, the option to torture an NPC in-game, even if they know it’s not “real”. Likewise, killing animals is one thing, but I’d be quite upset if GW2 offered the option “torture the animal to death”.

Not coincidentally, I also prefer violence to tend to the cartoon side rather than the realistic, and fantasy “world” violence to more realistic settings.

Anyway, yeah, a fish constantly suffering like that is about the furthest thing I can imagine from a “joke”.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

The fish is called Itchy (or Scratchy). No problem with that

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Mikikira.1574

Mikikira.1574

I’ll admit that, yeah, it makes me kind of uncomfortable too. It feels like when I see people laughing at a “… kicked in the balls” video: “You enjoy the pain and suffering of others. That’s … something.”

I’d much rather the WoW solution of “fish in a bubble in the air” here, which is kinda cute in a hamster ball sort of way.

The fish swimming in a bubble in the air could be a good substitution animation. I would like that and would buy it if they did.

Let’s make it do the same in this video then . As an FYI Mudskippers can breathe outside of water, some hop, some flop, all gasp for air like a fish out of water, even though they’re grouped as a fish they’re considered terresital not aquatic, just saying :\

Xeon E7 8890v4|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW HydroCopper |Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD|Asus PG348Q display

WvW Roamin for days!

Posted by: Odinius.9826

Odinius.9826

Imo you’re taking this too far, next up is the frog juicer and then digital fur on digital armors.
Let it go.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I do find the way it moves a bit disturbing. It literally looks like an entirely aquatic fish which has been dumped out of the water and is now struggling to survive.

I was expecting something more like a mudskipper. I suppose it’s my fault for not paying proper attention to the preview before buying, and maybe looking up a video of how it moves (although that relies on someone else buying it without knowing what they’re getting).

But I certainly wouldn’t complain if they wanted to change it. I think making it look and act more like a mudskipper would be a great solution.

As it is I think it will end up grouped with the spiders as minis I have for the sake of completion but would never actually use.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

There next pet is going to be called “safe space” and should be ok for anyone.

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

No. It’s a freakin’ joke in a video game, for crying out loud. Grow a sense of humour.

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

blame players for taking the mini pet out of water

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

No. It’s a freakin’ joke in a video game, for crying out loud. Grow a sense of humour.

If you think showing an animal being tortured is a joke, I hope you are never allowed to own a real pet. :-\

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

No, what Anet should do is add fishing so we can kill more fish!

And you should go take up the issue with people at the stores who cram 100 live lobsters into a 1m by 1m tank, then let you pick one to be killed and boiled alive. Thanks

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

Also, on the positive note: the fact the fish stays alive clearly indicates its magical ability to breathe above water, and the flopping is merely it’s chosen way to move its body lacking other means of transport. Underwater it does just fine swimming!

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

If you think showing an animal being tortured is a joke, I hope you are never allowed to own a real pet. :-\

Can you give us proof that it’s being tortured?

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Or maybe this person can separate fantasy from reality. One can find it funny that a virtual representation of an animal is ‘harmed’ without finding the same thing funny in real life. They may even be a pet owner and love their pet.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Or maybe this person can separate fantasy from reality. One can find it funny that a virtual representation of an animal is ‘harmed’ without finding the same thing funny in real life. They may even be a pet owner and love their pet.

Well if it’s okay to do anything immoral in a virtual environment …

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Moonyeti.3296

Well if it’s okay to do anything immoral in a virtual environment …

Look, all I am saying is maybe it is possible for people to have different opinions without people trying to inject a real world morality into it. You don’t like the fish? Fine. Don’t try to then paint those you disagree as animal abusers just to give a false morality weight to your side of the argument.

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

If people find the mini offensive, I hope they never go fishing. In Fishing, caught fish are generally left to suffocate rather than damaging the fish’s meat by killing it. (except in commercial fishing where fish are dumped into a water filled tank until they reach the processing plant)

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Solstace.2514

You’re playing a video game in which you eviscerate, incinerate, liquify, and otherwise murder countless people. Should you not be allowed around real people?

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Let us not fight over the treatment of Pixels or we will have to call into question everything we do in this game. You can’t be selective.

To me its hilarious and I am quite the pet lover

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

Let’s make it do the same in this video then . As an FYI Mudskippers can breathe outside of water, some hop, some flop, all gasp for air like a fish out of water, even though they’re grouped as a fish they’re considered terresital not aquatic, just saying :\

See, the thing is the other name for the Krytan Floppy Fish is the Lungtuna. While most of us think of tunas and jacks as a strictly oceanic fish, the Lungtuna is a freshwater species that developed the ability to use its swim bladder as a gas exchange organ in addition to providing buoyancy in order to survive dry seasons and dam failures. Thanks to this spectacular adaptation the Lungtuna is the most widespread freshwater fish in Tyria as it also allows them to flop from water body to water body in much the same way walking catfish and snakeheads do, albeit in a more comedic fashion. You think the migrations of wildebeest and zebra in the Serengeti is impressive? Then you have yet to witness the wonder and majesty of a school of magnificent Lungtunas flopping their way across the Crystal Desert! I’m sure the BBC has footage of it with David Attenborough narrating.

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

See, the thing is the other name for the Krytan Floppy Fish is the Lungtuna. While most of us think of tunas and jacks as a strictly oceanic fish, the Lungtuna is a freshwater species that developed the ability to use its swim bladder as a gas exchange organ in addition to providing buoyancy in order to survive dry seasons and dam failures. Thanks to this spectacular adaptation the Lungtuna is the most widespread freshwater fish in Tyria as it also allows them to flop from water body to water body in much the same way walking catfish and snakeheads do, albeit in a more comedic fashion. You think the migrations of wildebeest and zebra in the Serengeti is impressive? Then you have yet to witness the wonder and majesty of a school of magnificent Lungtunas flopping their way across the Crystal Desert! I’m sure the BBC has footage of it with David Attenborough narrating.

You made my day. Thank you.

=D

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

Posted by: GummyBearSummoner.7941

GummyBearSummoner.7941

so dramatic and over sensetive for a fake fish. dont like it than dont buy it. simple right? i like the fish so i bought it and i wouldnt want the animation gone.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

The BBC being the Beetletun Broadcasting Corporation, right? I hear the mesmers have some difficultly recording the footage, but they do so with amazing clarity (even if it is predominantly violet in colour)

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

You’re playing a video game in which you eviscerate, incinerate, liquify, and otherwise murder countless people. Should you not be allowed around real people?

If you really can’t tell the difference, then I truly pity you.

You just countered your own argument…

Also you’re very rude comparing people to animal abusers, and telling them they aren’t allowed to laugh at something created to be a joke.

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Actually, I think they should change it slightly. I’m fine with the animation, but I feel it should be singing a song or something… for example:

(edited by Trise.2865)

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

This is fantastic and I’m going to buy one the moment I get home…..

To anyone “disgusted” with this, grow a pair and go fishing. I know it sounds harsh, but you’ve spent too much time on the internet if you find something like this disturbing. Fish is a commodity for Christ sake.

(if you haven’t fished, to give you an idea, you put worms on a hook, right through the guts, loop around a few times and re-puncture that worm for good measure, then you catch a fish and rip the hook out of it’s mouth, smash it’s head on the ground to kill it, skin it, rinse it and cook it, tasty AF)

I feel like a camping trip now

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: Amy.4539

Amy.4539

I agree! Realistically, that fish would be put out if it’s misery quickly just flopping around there, but he has to endure an everlasting suffering.

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

Politics over a pixel pet? It’s a fish out of water, so it’s floppy. If I need meat or XP, I go out and slaughter a whole herd of Dolyaks. Do I shed a tear? No because it’s a game. Does that make me hate animals? I won’t even justify that with answer because it’s so absurd.

Stop the madness, political correctness is ruining most of our society, let’s have it away from games where we can escape the nightmare. If somehow the animation triggers you, then don’t buy it.

I mean there’s a game where a bunch of people complained one characters bum was too sexy, and it was changed, this sort of precedent is ludicrous, it’s a fantasy world online, it’s fiction, it’s a separate world not bound—well sadly it shouldn’t—by our real-life politics.

(edited by Despond.2174)

Solstace.2514

You just countered your own argument…

Also you’re very rude comparing people to animal abusers, and telling them they aren’t allowed to laugh at something created to be a joke.

Pretty much this. You need to drop the self righteous attitude. That’s incredibly arrogant and presumptuous to state that someone who doesn’t mind a flopping fish mini pet must be a sadistic animal torturer in real life. Most of us can easily separate the real from virtual worlds. Guild wars 2 has plenty of encounters which require you to kill various people,beasts, monsters, etc. yet I highly doubt that the vast majority of players are highly violent psychopaths irl.

If you don’t like the depiction of violence or are easy offended, there may be other mmos better suited for you. But please don’t try to force your views on the rest of us.

Moonyeti.3296

I find your lack of self awareness by making such a statement pretty ironic.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

This is a real nightmare for everyone who like to eat sushi xD

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

This pet should become wvw only so it represents the state of that mode.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

This pet should become wvw only so it represents the state of that mode.

Heh. Good one.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Wait does it still flop around if it’s underwater?

I’m pretty sure it just swims underwater.

Solution : Roleplay a Mermaid and never leave the water.

On a serious note this pet does sound a bit sick, but I’ve given up trying to understand Anets logic a long time ago.

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

Lol, all this over a magical floppy fish animation in a video game. Triggered much? :P

Posted by: Serum.4067

Serum.4067

All this fish mini tells me is that ANet is running out of ideas and has terrible resource management.

[AoN] – All or Nothing
Takyon Triplesix – Akasera

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Lol, all this over a magical floppy fish animation in a video game. Triggered much? :P

Well, no more than the people here ranting about how this current rash of treating people with respect — sorry, policital correctness — is destroying modern society, I’d have to say?

In any case, no, it’s about the addition of an animation of a creature constantly suffering to a video game that, previously, hadn’t featured that sort of thing. The important part there is “ongoing representation of an animal suffering”.

Some folks, sure, would find even the level of violence represented in GW2 unpleasant to deal with, and that’s fine. Some folks are fine with significantly greater levels of realism of violence, and that’s … probably also fine, but definitely not my cup of tea.

Everyone has a line, somewhere. Sure, lots more people are going to be uncomfortable given the torture prisoners game to play, than by the flopping fish pet, but that doesn’t mean their discomfort is non-existent, or that you can dismiss them by saying others have it worse.

So, by all means register that you don’t find it a problem, and feel free to correct people if they misstate the cause of your being comfortable with this all.

Just dismissing them out of hand, though, makes you look rather uncompassionate, and using phrases like “triggered much” makes it look like you disrespect the actual suffering of folks with mental illnesses.

That really doesn’t seem like a strong position to gather support for the idea that this is just a joke, and not one that is based on enjoying something suffering. (PS: I’m curious, what the funny part is, if anyone wants to contribute an explanation?)

Posted by: rgraze.5169

rgraze.5169

Maybe make him an underwater only mini? Kinda like if you take a land mini underwater is just as cruel?

Moonyeti.3296

Well, no more than the people here ranting about how this current rash of treating people with respect — sorry, policital correctness — is destroying modern society, I’d have to say?

In any case, no, it’s about the addition of an animation of a creature constantly suffering to a video game that, previously, hadn’t featured that sort of thing. The important part there is “ongoing representation of an animal suffering”.

Some folks, sure, would find even the level of violence represented in GW2 unpleasant to deal with, and that’s fine. Some folks are fine with significantly greater levels of realism of violence, and that’s … probably also fine, but definitely not my cup of tea.

Everyone has a line, somewhere. Sure, lots more people are going to be uncomfortable given the torture prisoners game to play, than by the flopping fish pet, but that doesn’t mean their discomfort is non-existent, or that you can dismiss them by saying others have it worse.

So, by all means register that you don’t find it a problem, and feel free to correct people if they misstate the cause of your being comfortable with this all.

Just dismissing them out of hand, though, makes you look rather uncompassionate, and using phrases like “triggered much” makes it look like you disrespect the actual suffering of folks with mental illnesses.

That really doesn’t seem like a strong position to gather support for the idea that this is just a joke, and not one that is based on enjoying something suffering. (PS: I’m curious, what the funny part is, if anyone wants to contribute an explanation?)

For me the funny part is the subversion of the expectation, that being that a fish out of water is dying and suffering. But in this case, the fish is not dying and is able to follow us around on land, somehow. It looks like a lot of effort for the fish do do that for little reward. The whole thing (to me) adds up to a ridiculous situation, it’s kind of funny.

I agree with you stance on the comments in general. It is fine for different opinions and views, there is no need to resort to personal attacks.

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

The floppy fish is just a floppy fish. The description says it’s magical and can breathe on land. It can’t walk or float so it flops to move around. I’m not sure why this is so offensive. It’s like the aviator toy all over again. Must we censor everything?

(edited by Kako.1930)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I remember there being some backlash about that event in Wayfarer Foothills where you kill a Dolyak and then throw nets at its frantic, floundering babies.

That makes me feel a little sad and uncomfortable too, but at least it gives more dimensionality to the game. I suppose it explains some of the lore behind dolyaks. The quest sort of serves a purpose.

Posted by: telliani.5902

telliani.5902

I don’t see anyone here freaking out over the chicken forever trapped in a tornado. Time to add to my collection.

Geigi (Queen of the Dredge) – Mesmer
[HOPE] – Hope Remains, Crystal Desert

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

This is an interesting discussion, and it’s clear there are a variety of opinions about the topic. Please feel free to share your thoughts, but we’d appreciate your doing so without the use of pejoratives or insults towards those who hold a different opinion.

TL;dr – Be kind!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Nihevil.8024

Nihevil.8024

What has become of the internet in the last few years? Like people are offended by ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. People have become so touchy.

If a floppy fish in a video game “hurts” your “safe space” so much then that’s a sign you need to put on your big girl/boy pants and grow up.

Shouldn’t you people be complaining about the mini chickenado as well? It’s clearly a distressed chicken and its eggs forever stuck in a tornado. https://youtu.be/Ts_inBW-jDA

Elitism in Guild Wars 2. http://i.imgur.com/ZGnzBCI.gif

Posted by: Myhr.9108

Myhr.9108

Enjoying others suffering is one of the simpliest and most basic form of humour. Just take a look at some cartoons, the number of slapstick moments where one of the protagonist is hurt to make the audience laugh is incredibly high.

On to your “ongoing representation of an animal suffering”, I’ll just ask you this : what is wrong with it? I mean, really? Because, the key word here is not “suffering” nor “animal” or “ongoing”. It’s “representation”. It’s not real, it’s an act of expression. Bad taste? Maybe. But since when should we censor bad taste? As long as it’s not real, it should be allowed! Even if I don’t like something and think it should never happen IRL, people should be able to draw/paint/program/dream about it.

If you’re trying to change people’s minds, there are better, more respectfull and downright more efficient ways that to just forbid them to express themselves. In fact, trying to supress one’s instinct can be downright destructive.

Because, do not try to play the victim here. You’re the one trying to prevent people from depicting animal crualty, which has more chance to increase real acts of animal crualty thant preventing them, by the way…

Be a little open-minded, please, allow people to have some fun, even if you don’t share their tastes. Thank you.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I agree that people are getting overly distressed!!

Next thing you know people will want bows that shoot unicorns!!!!! Oh, wait……..

GW2 is a video game and is rated by the ESRB T for Teen : Blood, Mild Language, Use of Alcohol, Violence

Thus, everyone should be fairly warned, flopping fish might be included, play at your own discretion.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932