Should Anet put GW2 on Steam?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ananeos.4587

Ananeos.4587

GW1 and the expansions are on steam, why not GW2? It would pull in much more people that way.

Hailsec – Asuran Mesmer | EVOS
Zraiyya – Asuran Elementalist | EVOS
Akkodi – Asuran Engineer | EVOS

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Because, steam wasn’t a cut of anything you sell, including in game currency, I.e. Gem sales. This is why EA pulled there new games from steam. Anything that was already on steam was exempt. It’s the reason EA pulled dragon age 2 from steam and made origin. Also steam want a big chunk of the sale of the game.

This topic has been covered in the past.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

Steam takes about 30% of each purchase. They would be stupid to put GW2 there.

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

Posted by: Ananeos.4587

Ananeos.4587

If that’s the case then why is GW1 even on there in the first place?

Hailsec – Asuran Mesmer | EVOS
Zraiyya – Asuran Elementalist | EVOS
Akkodi – Asuran Engineer | EVOS

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

GW1 is an old game. Besides back then it needed bigger publicity because of not being an established trademark. Also NCSoft often puts their less played MMOs on Steam in order to get more audience

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Plus, Steam is evil.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

GW1 was put on steam way after its lifecycle had ended. It was in pure maintanance mode long before that.

As is, while I love steam, it’s not the way to go for arenanet or GW2 yet.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Because 70% of “Not very much” is still more than 100% of “Nothing At All”

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Posted by: Ariachi.8096

Ariachi.8096

It doesn’t work that why I’m afraid. Granted they may pull more sales through it but if it was added to steam basically all of future sales would go through the platform based on how popular steam is. Meaning they may lose out in the long run. People would go from buying directly from Arenanet/Ncsoft to directly through Steam they would lose a lot on the next xpac and gems in the long run.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Plus, Steam is evil.

How so?

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

It doesn’t work that why I’m afraid. Granted they may pull more sales through it but if it was added to steam basically all of future sales would go through the platform based on how popular steam is. Meaning they may lose out in the long run. People would go from buying directly from Arenanet/Ncsoft to directly through Steam they would lose a lot on the next xpac and gems in the long run.

I’m not contesting that. But GW1 doesn’t have the Gem Store, as far as I know. And, it’s only on the slowest of slow sales. Guild Wars 2 doesn’t need Steam to make money for Anet.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

Plus, Steam is evil.

How so?

you need to load resources that has nothing to do with the game just to play the game, the only reason why i have steam is because some games don’t play without steam.
if i could i would uninstall steam and ban it completely from my computer, i would love to play fallout 4 and skyrim without even needing steam in the first place.

steam is a useless software that gives nothing more then problems and a little bit of convenience, anything steam offers exist outside steam without being forced to use a third party software.
chat exists with both team speak and skype, buying online exists everywhere you look without even needing steam.
better yet, except for having all the games in one list for quick download there is no reason to use steam, the whole program is a blown up waste of computer space.

GW2 should never ever get on steam, it doesn’t benefit anyone at all and all the achievements that exists are already in the game.

Cyninja.2954

steam is a useless software that gives nothing more then problems and a little bit of convenience, anything steam offers exist outside steam without being forced to use a third party software.

Without wanting to get into to much of a discussion, you need to look beyond the obvious functions which steam provides but instead think about what the service as a whole provides.

Without steam (or other digital distribution platforms) the entire gaming industry would be in a very different spot than it is now (anyone remember Starforce CD/DVD protections in its early stages?).

Steam allows small developers to release without having to slave for a publisher (see the entire indie game industry) for example. It cuts release costs and allows for easy purchase.

This entire “oh it’s evil because you have to have it run in the background… they collect data… they rob your baby at night” is so 1990. Steam ressource requirement is miniscule, it does save you from having to run very intrusive CD/DVD protection software though which would likely take way more ressources. Welcome to 2016.

DoctorDing.5890

Steam is evil because Valve are evil.
Steam is malware, unwantedware, surplusware, wastemytimeware, a boil on the face of the industry. If games were only available through Steam I would stop gaming.

But make your own mind up ;p

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Steam is malware, unwantedware, surplusware, wastemytimeware, a boil on the face of the industry. If games were only available through Steam I would stop gaming.

ur confusing steam first evil is google, and gw2 client comes at second (creating bad players since 2012).

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Fermi.2409

Steam collects/lets you run all of your games in one place, integrates online features with friends, and gives a convenient location where you can acquire games. It’s a fair bit more then a “little bit of convenience”.

So you’re just mindlessly hating. All right.

Anyways, I don’t see GW2 being put on steam but I also don’t see how it would hurt. They’d make less from each sale but the additional advertisement/interest gathered by the release could pull in some customers. Although, they already have a pretty big reach, so having more people buy on steam, losing them part of the cut, might not be in their best interest

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Plus, Steam is evil.

How so?

you need to load resources that has nothing to do with the game just to play the game

That is evil? Yeah it uses resources, resources you have and many other apps and process also require resources to. I get it some go to the nth degree, but the masses have spoken, first world problem.

Why isn’t it for sale on Steam. $$$/Contracts. Someday when Anet thinks it may make sense for them, it will change.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If ANet wants to put it on Steam, and Steam agrees, I guess it’ll happen. But I hope that if that happens I will still be able to launch directly from the ANet browser and not have to be logged into Steam to play GW2. Options? Good. Forced use of Steam to play a game that has nothing to do with it? Bad.

I’ve only used Steam for Skyrim (for a few months at launch) and for a game where you put in a music piece and it gives you a roller coaster dodge game set to the music. I saw no reason to need it for Skyrim as I was playing standalone, and the music game didn’t hold me long. (I also dislike being forced to be online to play DA:I, via Origins. If I have a standalone RPG I should be able to play even if my internet goes out, not that my internet has gone out for years now).

GW2 has a superbly fast, smooth launch process. Having to wait for some other software to load first will only slow me down getting in game.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Without steam (or other digital distribution platforms) the entire gaming industry would be in a very different spot than it is now (anyone remember Starforce CD/DVD protections in its early stages?).

Steam allows small developers to release without having to slave for a publisher (see the entire indie game industry) for example. It cuts release costs and allows for easy purchase.

None of that is relevant to GW2. ANet itself is already owned by a big publisher. GW2 exists without steam so all the other infrastructure need to exist regardless. ANet staff has to monitor and enforce stuff related to cheating anyway so the protection thing isn’t relevant either.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As others have noted Steam is glorified DRM dressed up with some ‘social’ features and shopping to make it palatable to gamers.

It is a vast improvement over some of the other attempts at DRM that were going on around the same time, but it’s still primarily for the benefit of developers (and even more so to benefit Valve since they’ve engineered it so they get paid for other peoples work without having to do anything besides provide a storefront) and like many people here I’m much happier when developers recognise they don’t need that level of hand-holding and can allow us to play their games without being forced to run additional software for no actual benefit.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: clone wars.9568

clone wars.9568

1. They charge to list gw1 on stream. gw1 is dead so any sales are better than none, compaired to gw2 it has no way near the same playerbase anymore.

2. Guild Wars 1 is no longer doing updates and that stopped about 2 years ago. Microsoft/sony and stream charge games to update/patch their games. MS for one charges $5k per patch, considering Guild Wars 2 needs about 12 patches a month that cost soon adds up.

So gw1 sales are dead and its getting no more updates and thats why they can add it to stream. Guild Wars 2 for these reasons can and will never be added to stream/xbox/playstation etc. Not until the games dead like gw1.

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

1. They charge to list gw1 on stream. gw1 is dead so any sales are better than none, compaired to gw2 it has no way near the same playerbase anymore.

2. Guild Wars 1 is no longer doing updates and that stopped about 2 years ago. Microsoft/sony and stream charge games to update/patch their games. MS for one charges $5k per patch, considering Guild Wars 2 needs about 12 patches a month that cost soon adds up.

So gw1 sales are dead and its getting no more updates and thats why they can add it to stream. Guild Wars 2 for these reasons can and will never be added to stream/xbox/playstation etc. Not until the games dead like gw1.

Microsoft only charges for patches to Xbox games that are pressed on disc. Digital store games (Xbox or Windows) only require you push the patch.

Steam does not charge you to update your game.

Cyninja.2954

None of that is relevant to GW2. ANet itself is already owned by a big publisher. GW2 exists without steam so all the other infrastructure need to exist regardless. ANet staff has to monitor and enforce stuff related to cheating anyway so the protection thing isn’t relevant either.

Ah very limited view.

No, GW2 does not profit from steam directly, nor do other publishers or developers who are not on steam. They do profit off of the growing and very live gaming industry to which steam contributes significantly. Ignoring that fact is like ignoring advances in medicin which increase overall funding even though they might be unrelated to your specific illness.

Also I was responding to the ignorant steam hate (which as it turns out is just that, mindless hate). Never did I state that GW2 was directly profiting off of steam.

Then again, if you (or anyone with this argumentation) feel this threatened by services collecting your information and data, may I recommend you stop using any and all electronic devices, financial services and basically anything which records any type of information. There are far more evil data collecting agents out there than steam which get way less flack than they deserve.

sorudo.9054

Without wanting to get into to much of a discussion, you need to look beyond the obvious functions which steam provides but instead think about what the service as a whole provides.

yeah, it would be DRM free, that’s what kind of spot it would be right now.
i have never seen a majority of ppl saying they love DRM, better yet, they hate it like hell on earth.
any DRM, not just steam, is just a horrible thing to have.

Cyninja.2954

i have never seen a majority of ppl saying they love DRM, better yet, they hate it like hell on earth.

If I had to chose between steam as DRM as it is now versus some DRM methods of the past, I’d chose steam hands down every single time.

People who hate on steam DRM have never had a CD/DVD drive shot by intrusive DRM like Starforce or similar popular DRM from the past. We are talking so intrusive, they in somecases shot your entire PC and not just the software.

That is not even getting into the benefits of digital distribution which you completely failed to address.

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

This has been brought up soo many times before.
If GW2 goes on steam…they lose money.
It’s a no go really.
GW1 was a different period of time. Doesn’t work in modern day for GW2

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

sorudo.9054

If I had to chose between steam as DRM as it is now versus some DRM methods of the past, I’d chose steam hands down every single time.

People who hate on steam DRM have never had a CD/DVD drive shot by intrusive DRM like Starforce or similar popular DRM from the past. We are talking so intrusive, they in somecases shot your entire PC and not just the software.

That is not even getting into the benefits of digital distribution which you completely failed to address.

i was there when steam started, i was there when the floppy disk was replaced with the diskette, i was there when you needed to enter a code just to install the game.
you seriously don’t have to tell me how it was back then but i still prefer installing a game without DRM, i at least am able to install the game without even needing any single kind of internet.

oh and before you start, no you can’t use steam offline, offline mode only works when you update it first….which needs you to be online…..

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

GW1 and the expansions are on steam, why not GW2? It would pull in much more people that way.

Because in all honesty, GW2 has a huge player base and got tons of attention in 2012 such that most people interested in MMO games are aware of its existence.

And it still markets aggressively on other huge websites. I’ve been doing things like reading news and have gotten a lot of GW2 ads for HoT.

The 30% cut to all monetary acquisitions probably isn’t enough to justify using it.
Further, GW1 is a dated, not-very-marketable game. Having steam handle the resources and market the game for them lifts some responsibility from ANet and likely will not affect future sales much; if anything, it could be cost-efficient, because then ANet doesn’t need to spend money on download servers which may not be utilized much.

Plus, like many others, I dislike steam, and avoid buying games from the service when possible. If valve ever goes under, I lose access to all games purchased via steam. That’s not really great in my opinion.

Think how differently things would be if classic games by failed studios in the past could no longer be played just because the companies went broke many years ago.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

Fermi.2409

So you’re ignoring everything Steam brings to the table purely because it also has/is a form of DRM. Nice.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

So you’re ignoring everything Steam brings to the table purely because it also has/is a form of DRM. Nice.

So far steam has brought nothing to the table for me. No benefit for me at all as near as I can see. I dont hate it, but having to be online to play a single player, off line, game that I bought a physical copy of at a local brick and mortar store adds nothing for me. All of my games were already collected in one space before I had to create a steam account in order to play the off-line single player game. There is nothing I need to share with my friends about my time spent playing a single player game. One that none of them play anyway. When my friends and I want to play together we do so with an actual online game, such as GW2, which is meant to be multiplayer, and which does not require Steam.

On the other hand I have experienced negatives from mandated Steam use. The most obvious being an inability to play my offline, single player game when internet outages prevented me from playing my MMO of choice.

DoctorDing.5890

Also I was responding to the ignorant steam hate (which as it turns out is just that, mindless hate).

Yeah, it’s easy to dismiss the opposite viewpoint as ignorant and mindless.

My hate for Steam is neither. My hate for Steam is mindful, considered, directed and fully justified. My hate for Steam is real. Steam and other Valve products will never enter this house again.

I’ve experienced game DRM systems since ~1982 (LensLok anyone?) and Steam is by far the most insidious and underhand. Steam is evil.

Other opinions are available…

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I’ve experienced game DRM systems since ~1982 (LensLok anyone?) and Steam is by far the most insidious and underhand. Steam is evil.

Other opinions are available…

Yup, EA’s Origin is so much worse it makes Steam look like an innocent puppy… it’s not, of course… but it’s not nearly so bad as Origin.

OT: I’d rather GW2 stay off Steam.

~EW

Fermi.2409

What? Steam has had offline mode forever. They don’t lock you out of your offline single player games when your internet is down…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

He did not claim that other options are available. “Opinions,” and, “options,” are not synonymous.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I don’t hate Steam, I just will not add a layer onto a game that I don’t think needs to be there. I won’t buy anything from them. If I can get a game without Steam than I will play it otherwise I will not play a game that has to go thru another layer.
My choice and since I have been playing online games since the BBS days I think I can give my opinion on my choice for not using an invasive site like Steam.

As for GoG …. my credit union refuses to do any business in that country as it seems it is well known for stealing ID’s. Not that GoG is known for that it’s the country that has a horrible reputation so they just decided not to do business with it.

Cyninja.2954

He did not claim that other options are available. “Opinions,” and, “options,” are not synonymous.

True, I did missread that. Not going to edit my other post since it would cause confusion.

DoctorDing.5890

What? Steam has had offline mode forever. They don’t lock you out of your offline single player games when your internet is down…

That’s exactly what it did for me. Offline Steam is not truly offline. It still talks to its server if it’s available. My Steam decided I could not play my full priced, boxed, offline single-player game until I updated the Steam client. Except the Steam client would not update. And thus began a long tedious tale of fiddling, re-installing, tech support, reformatting (yes, really) and even a different PC. Nothing worked. I’d been playing the game for weeks just fine. Then I couldn’t, just because Steam screwed it up. Neither Steam nor the game publisher were interested. So I download an illegal copy of the game I had paid for, which worked fine but I had to start my toon from scratch. Remember, this is for a game that has no on-line or multiplayer aspect.

So yeah, I consider Steam to be evil.

Cyn, I don’t want to fall out with you m8 but saying “I love Steam” is equally as mindless or mindful as saying “I hate Steam”.

And we’re all opinionated. That’s why were are on a forum.

Peace.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

I don’t hate Steam, I just will not add a layer onto a game that I don’t think needs to be there.

You are right, we’d still be going to game stop and we the whole indy scene that thrives today wouldn’t exist. Content creators want some protections, check. Steam has brought a whole new development path for many games we enjoy.