Should I buy GuildWars1 for achievmentpoints?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smokin Dice.9103

Smokin Dice.9103

Hey guys,
as the topic suggests I was wondering if it is worth my time to buy gw1 for ap in gw2.

-I never played gw1 and started with gw2, 3 years ago
-how many ap can I get from gw1?
-what other stuff do I get from gw1 for gw2?
-is it worth my time?

Posted by: Ausfer.1853

Ausfer.1853

Okay, call me crazy, but why do you need achievement points so badly that you’re considering putting down 30 bucks on a 10 year old MMO that will need to be played for hours upon hours?

Smokin Dice.9103

Okay, call me crazy, but why do you need achievement points so badly that you’re considering putting down 30 bucks on a 10 year old MMO that will need to be played for hours upon hours?

Because I have done alot of the ap in gw2 already and want more unlocks of the skins and other stuff, also I need to kill some time until HoT releases.. so if it would be worth my time to get some ap in gw1 meanwhile Id be happy to support Anet some more and also maybe get a better look at the story and what happend in the past.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

A lot of questions and a bit hard to answer.

What do you get: armor skins, mini pets, ranger pets, weapon skins, titles
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments#Rewards

Total AP gain: 500

Is it worth your time….
It will take time playing it, that you won’t be playing here to get the rewards and you’ll need lots of in game gold (platinum) to buy some of the titles. To get to 30 points, which is where most people stop, could take several months of playing, depending on what titles you go for. In addition the games are very different. The only thing they have in common is the lore. Nothing else is the same. However it’s not impossible. It’s more time consuming. There are still people playing it. Some of them like you coming from Guild Wars 2 to get the rewards.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Because I have done alot of the ap in gw2 already and want more unlocks of the skins and other stuff, also I need to kill some time until HoT releases.. so if it would be worth my time to get some ap in gw1 meanwhile Id be happy to support Anet some more and also maybe get a better look at the story and what happend in the past.

You aren’t going to unlock any of the good stuff in 8 days.

It’s worth a buy to be honest but I would use it as a way to take a break from HoT, not as a stop gap while waiting for it.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Smokin Dice.9103

only 500?
I thought it would be alot more..
how come so many people run around with 12-20k ap then?
I thought it had to do with gw1

I dont know much else I can do in gw2 for ap ^^

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

only 500?

Its from all the one of content in living story season 1, old wvw tournaments, 3 years of hallowen, xmas etc.
oh and max out dailys/monthlys.

Edit
I dont have alot but you can see some of the historical stuff in my pictures

Attachments:

(edited by Linken.6345)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Doing all the old content before this AP drought is where it came from. The first year especially. After a while they cut it down and this year it’s been mostly 10 a day and whatever you can scrounge up. It should pick up with the expansion thought.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

You will need to dedicate copious amounts of time to GW 1 to achieve the necessary requirements to obtain the 50 points. Everything mostly has speed clears but they require time to learn them. I get too distracted by GW 2 to continuously play GW1. When i log in it just seems old and boring but if you’ve never played you might find yourself getting more into it. If you really want the 500 points I say go for it. One of my favorite staff skins is achieved through HoM and it is IMO probably the best staff in GW2.

Gnarled Walking Staff

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

Hey guys,
as the topic suggests I was wondering if it is worth my time to buy gw1 for ap in gw2.

-is it worth my time?

It’s entirely up to you. Is it worth your time? I would say yes. Even though the game is old and old looking, it’s still a good game. It plays very differently. This may either be a nice change or a deterent. You get the AP of course but also HOM points simply for linking your 2 accounts.

The only thing that I can say that may be a problem is that I can’t play GW without extreme lag. Idk if it’s them or the connection between me and their GW1 servers. The rubberbanding for me is real in GW1.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Im wondering how many points you can get from only the first campain tho anyone got a answer for that?

Posted by: Grover.8753

Grover.8753

You will need to dedicate copious amounts of time to GW 1 to achieve the necessary requirements to obtain the 50 points. Everything mostly has speed clears but they require time to learn them. I get too distracted by GW 2 to continuously play GW1. When i log in it just seems old and boring but if you’ve never played you might find yourself getting more into it. If you really want the 500 points I say go for it. One of my favorite staff skins is achieved through HoM and it is IMO probably the best staff in GW2.

Gnarled Walking Staff
A short mention … the EULA, agreements, and Rules of Conduct say nothing about cross game TRADING of ITEMS. There is no threat to you or your account in doing so. If you don’t believe this read through it all yourself. Its at the bottom of the page. So if you had someone you could trust that played GW1, well, you get the idea.

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

8 days isn’t going to get you much ap, and to clarify some misinformation posted here, you can earn a total of 550 ap from playing gw1.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Im wondering how many points you can get from only the first campain tho anyone got a answer for that?

You will need Eye of the North for Hall of Monuments to be able to link your accounts. I’m not sure how many titles/AP you could reasonably achieve from just doing Prophecies. I think you could get more titles/HoM points easier in doing all of campaigns as I think you’d begin to hit the more difficult ones quite early on in just Prophecies.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

If you are going to do just one, do Nightfall.

You will have access to the most heroes making solo play easier. You will also be able to use said heroes to fill up one of the monuments.

Kamadan (NF city) was also the last place people parked themselves to do trade. If anyone’s left to buy things from, that’s where they would probably be.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Just a flesh wound.3589

To get the points you’ll need Eye of the North and at least one other. Nightfall is frequently recommended because of the easier access to several heroes, but it can be harder to play for a novice than Prophesies, which is the starting part of the whole game. In addition, Prophesies has a title you can get by getting a char to level 20 in the starting area, PreSearing. This area cannot be reached by non Prophesies chars and cannot be returned to if your char leaves it,

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Hey guys,

-is it worth my time?

• You get 550 AP. 50 AP for every 10 points in the Hall of Monuments, and an additional 50 for having GWAMM.
  • Several skins for armor and weapons, 11 titles, miniatures and pets. Here is a list.
  • “Worth your time” is variable. It depends on how much time you’d say is worth the above. Getting 30/50 points in the Hall of Monuments isn’t so hard if you’re a dedicated player with a guide such as “this one,”: but that will only get you 6 of the titles and 300 of the AP.

You probably won’t get even the first AP mark in 8 days truth be told. Especially if you’re taking your time to enjoy the story.

In all honesty, I’d only suggest getting GW1 if you want to enjoy that game. The skins are cool but they’re not needed and to get the full amount of AP is a lot of work.

Mind you, I do think GW1 is worth playing, in the proper campaign order, so I’d recommend it either way. If you only intend to play GW1 until HoT comes out… well, that doesn’t leave you with time to do much in all honesty.

But in all honesty, I’m not sure getting 50/50 HoM points is even possible without pulling in other players to play with you. Doing the elite areas isn’t really feasible with the AI. You can definitely get 30/50 though as well as GWAMM. So that’d be 350 AP there.

Zero.

You need at least the expansion to get access to the Hall of Monuments, and you can’t play the expansion without a campaign.

But one campaign + the expansion can get you about 40 points not counting the nigh impossible PvP titles or the tougher elite areas.

It’d be best if you buy all four games though.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

No. Buy it to experience it but not for achievements or rewards. It will take a lot of time and effort to get anything out of it. Play it when you want a break from GW2.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Don’t buy gw1 for achievs (because they will take you over a year hardcore grinding)! Buy gw1 because: gw1 >>>>>> gw2!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

only 500?

The daily cap is at 15k AP and a lot of players already reached it. If you check the leaderboards you will see that a lot of players stopped earning APs a few days ago, although they’ve been getting them non-stop until then. That’s because they hit that daily cap. The permanent AP in the game are less than the daily AP (you can’t get 15k permanent AP) so keep doing your dailies until you reach the cap, that will give you far more points than GW1.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Hell no man lol

In the time it takes you to unlock all that AP from GW1, you could have farmed thousands of gold in SW (no seriously) and just spent that unlocking collections/achievements in GW2 for more AP anyway

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I loved GW1 and maxed out most stuff eventually. But if I went back to it now I think the lack of freedom to wander all over the maps would drive me crazy. Those bits where your objective is just the other side of a small hill but it makes you run miles round to get there. No jumping/climbing/falling to get there quicker. It was normal at the time but now, meh.

I loved the heroes though. Reminded me of some of the Baldur’s Gate series where you had a whole party of toons you could equip and command.

If you don’t need to sleep it might be an OK way to get some points. Other than that, do it because you want to play it rather than for the slow points you will get.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

If you’re considering GW1 only as AP source, forget it. It takes months to get a considerable amount of HOM points. The link to GW1 was not made to make people grind AP for GW2, it was made to give something to GW1 veterans, who filled their HOM during their GW1 time. That was automatic.

If you are considering GW1 as a different game you want to try, and you think you might enjoy the gameplay, go for it. But if you don’t, I prophesy you will leave GW1 after spending some $30 and achieved exactly the default 3 HOM points everyone get, which is worth the first 3 parts of the armor skins and zero AP in GW2.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Buy them for the skins sure as that is a doable thing. But for the AP’s not so much. Sure you COULD do so but don’t expect to get them in a speedy fashion. Especially if you are getting HOT and will be spending most of your time there and in future GW2 content.

So summary:

Sure but expect to work away at those APS over a great length of time.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

It is only 500 AP and that requires insane amount grind and time to play. I played GW1 for over 5 years ( though i skipped most of the grinding) and still finished up 400/500.

Beside the AP GW1 is great game and it worth the time you play. It is very different from GW2. I think the gameplay, skill vairaty, builds are far better then GW2 is and ever will. It is just old.

I would give insane amount of money for a game with GW2 graphic and GW1 gameply, skill system etc etc. Gw2 basically looks like a dumb kid next to GW1 if we don’t count the visual part.

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Expect to spend over 1,000 hours if you want to hit the 50 points necessary to get 500 AP. It’s not something you can do in a week.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

if you play alone you wont get higher than 30/50 very fast

if you have someone to help you with advice and also with GW1 money then 45/50 is definitly doable in some time but for 50/50 you need to invest a bit more time to finish more titles for the last points
and you will also need a lot of GW1 money/ectos for 50/50 to be able to afford the necessary things … so unless you have someone who gifts stuff to you in GW1 that will take you quite a while

but without GW1 money at your hands you should still be able to do 30/50 in a reasonable amount of time … look at guides for HoM
you would need all 3 GW1 campaigns and Eye of the North though… cause without it is not that easily doable
Nightfall and Factions are necessary at least i would say… most titles / skills that are needed can be aquired in those 2

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Zelu.1692

Zelu.1692

You should buy and play GW1 not for the APs, but because it is still a great game, with some very interesting gameplay elements. Well worth a try if you want a look at what MMOs can also be, beyond the typical WoW/GW2/SWTOR approach.

Sure the graphics are a bit dated, but it is still very passable and there is lots of fun to be had. I started on it last May and I got to 30 points on HoM within 250 hours of play (i.e. enough to unlock all skins and pets), but I keep on playing cause it can be great fun and there is still some content here and there that I want to try out.

The icing on the cake being that you get to connect the dots between GW1 events/locations and GW2 ones + all those Ascended Trinkets names make sense to me now. ;-)

Zel

Zel Silverleaf – 80 Guardian
Zelyahine – 80 Ranger
Victory is Life Eternal [VILE] – Desolation

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

NO! You should buy it to play and have fun.

If you think “Sigh, have to do a 3 hour GW shift tonight” and not “I’m looking forward to….” I’m afraid you’re doing it wrong.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Hey guys,

-is it worth my time?

It’s entirely up to you. Is it worth your time? I would say yes. Even though the game is old and old looking, it’s still a good game. It plays very differently. This may either be a nice change or a deterent. You get the AP of course but also HOM points simply for linking your 2 accounts.

The only thing that I can say that may be a problem is that I can’t play GW without extreme lag. Idk if it’s them or the connection between me and their GW1 servers. The rubberbanding for me is real in GW1.

GW1 is actually based on the same servers as gw2, but is more affected by when they trickle things in to gw2 than gw2 is- don’t know why, just always seems to be the case.

Be careful buying gw1- you might get sucked into it and end up spending more time in that map completing, doing titles, vanquishing, etc than playing gw2.

I went back and started it from scratch, found a decent guild, and am really enjoying it. Finding a decent guild is key.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Ayrilana.1396

I suggest buying the Trilogy (Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall) as well as the Platinum edition so you’ll have Eye of the North along with the bonus items which help a little.

The easiest class to learn and play is Ritualist. If you’re trying to get the Gods Walking Amongst Mortal Men title, I suggest starting out in prophecies and getting the Legendary Defender of Ascalon title before leaving the tutorial area. It takes less time to get than the other titles otherwise.

You then want to level up and complete the first few missions so you’ll be able to get to the major city hub (LA or Kaineng) so you can do the quests to travel between canpaigns. Nightfall has the majority of the heroes but EotN also has some. You should be able to get three right off the bat when you get to the major city hub. You can get a Mesmer fairly quickly in EotN by visiting the HOM.

I suggest finishing Nightfall or EotN first as this is where you’ll get your heroes. Make sure to get the quests for Razah and the other heroes before leaving the end area of Nightfall which you get to after beating the final boss. You can then do Factions and Prophecies. I highly suggest doing the 7 Hero Support Build as you can use it for most of the game as you get your points. It works best if you’re a ranged class rather than melee.

When going for HoM points, I suggest beating all of the campaigns on normal and then hard while getting the bonus objectives. You can then work on vanquishing and cartographer which is time-consuming. After that you can hunt down all of the elite skills for those titles as well as go for Master of the North which you should complete a handful of titles along the way.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

No, but you should buy it because it is the superior game that will give you many hours of enjoyment.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

I suggest buying the Trilogy (Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall) as well as the Platinum edition so you’ll have Eye of the North along with the bonus items which help a little.

Thank you.

Didn’t know that Platinum was better than Eye of the North ( and gives u more ) and cost less. On official store.

Ayrilana.1396

I’m surprised that Anet still has so many versions up there to buy which only confuse players. They can remove the Factions and Nightfall standalone games as the Trilogy edition contains both for the same price that each sell for as well as a copy of Prophecies. The Eye of the North and Game of the Year games can be removed as the Platinum edition contains both for the price of one.

Better to keep it simple. I don’t see any value that someone could gain from purchasing a game by itself over the bundles.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Not worth it unless you actually want to play gw1 for its own sake.

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

Just a little bit of a warning here:

GW1 is on opposite sides of the spectrum with GW2. COMPLETELY different.

That said, it was still one of the best MMO I have played along with GW2.

THAT said, in order to accomplish anything in GW2, you will need over 1000 hours of work. I personally have 1000 hours of work and only accomplished 1/3rd of the total game. I took my time, but if you really want to rush, 500-1000 may complete the whole game for you.

By complete I do not mean beat it. I mean to finish every aspect to get the best titles/rewards: GWAMM, COTG.

Since I started playing in 2006, it makes sense that I continued to grind those title tracks. It is not worth it IMO to grind those tracks for the sake of GW2 if you have never tried.

If you want to try GW1, then go for it. GW1 is 10 years old, but it is still maintained so well that it is still good. The system reqs are insignificant and yet the graphics are still better than WOW’s latest expa. I mean seriously, the game is beautiful. Sure you can’t jump and use WASD, but then again that was already said as GW2 is completely opposite of GW1. Imagine playing a 3D diablo with actual quests, story lines, community, etc.

(edited by Eddie Mo.7169)

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

I would say get GW1 because you want to play GW1, not for the AP.

Might be a bit biased though, since I never saw the appeal of AP