Should I go for a Legendary?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: feuna.1749

feuna.1749

Hi everyone!

Recently I got this desire to get a Legendary for fun but I go back and forth on the idea, like it sounds exciting and challenging but is the time spent on it, worth it?

I would like the know from anyone that has or is trying to get a Legendary, what really made you to try/get a Legendary? Or what turn you off from it?
Did anyone give up? Why?
What was the hardest part?
How did you feel when you did finally get it?
How long did it take?
Would you go for another? One is definitely enough for me LOL.

THANKS for commenting!

(edited by feuna.1749)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Getting a legendary is a long drawn out process. Personally, I’d never have started the whole legendary process if I didn’t already have a precusor, which dropped for me during the Karka event.

The precusor, if you don’t know, is a named exotic item that you need to make your legendary. There are three ways to get it.

1. You have to be very very lucky.
2. You have to buy it from the marketplace with gold.
3. You have to put 4 rares or 4 exotics into the mystic forge and pray to the six gods that you get one.

Unless you can afford the precusor for the Legendary you want, I’d be very careful about starting on.

What I did was, I started just saving the stuff I’d eventually need, just in case.

The other thing I did was…I bought a second precusor recently but I bought one for an underwater weapon, which is quite a bit cheaper than many of the others. I paid 29 gold (but I really like the way Kraitkin looks).

So yes, after I get The Predator I’ll be going for Kraitkin. Kill me now.

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

You will be kitten off when you got it because it’s not that legendary…you can trust me on that.

vvuevv

Vayne.8563

You will be kitten off when you got it because it’s not that legendary…you can trust me on that.

Some people love their legendaries, though. I think both the Predator and Kraitkin look awesome.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

I haven’t and am not trying to get a legendary because I chose to level multiple characters to 80, gear them with multiple sets of exotics I made, and generally play the game rather than just farm for mats to make legendaries that… just look different. It’s what some people play for, I just have a different interest in the game. If over the course of playing the game, I happen to just accumulate materials to make one, I may do so, but it’s just of no concern to me at this point in time. To me it seems like a lot of time into one weapon when I like having many weapons on each character. So it just doesn’t seem to fit my play style.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

My take on it:
I’m doing 5 clover gambles every time it’s the MF daily. That’s every 2-3 days, and in that time you salvage 5 ectos by merely logging in and checking the timer now and then. I’m currently at 21 clovers without putting a single copper towards these gambles. I’ll reach the 77 eventually, no need to rush.

In the meanwhile, I save up my money for the precursor. By the time I have my 77 clovers, I’ll sell out my collection tabs. Together with my cash, which I didn’t spend since release, I’ll be able to afford the precursor without blinking.

After that, it’s just go with the flow until I have the entire legendary.

Everyone will attest that clovers and precursor are the 2 most difficult parts of the legendary hunt. Starting with those will make your life a lot more pleasant.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Vayne.8563

My take on it:
I’m doing 5 clover gambles every time it’s the MF daily. That’s every 2-3 days, and in that time you salvage 5 ectos by merely logging in and checking the timer now and then. I’m currently at 21 clovers without putting a single copper towards these gambles. I’ll reach the 77 eventually, no need to rush.

In the meanwhile, I save up my money for the precursor. By the time I have my 77 clovers, I’ll sell out my collection tabs. Together with my cash, which I didn’t spend since release, I’ll be able to afford the precursor without blinking.

Everyone will attest that clovers and precursor are the 2 most difficult parts of the legendary hunt. Starting with those will make your life a lot more pleasant.

That’s a smart way to do it. I’m working on T6 mats for my first legendary, while trying to get clovers for my second legendary. So every time I try for clovers, I’m hoping like hell not to get them. lol

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Because it’s stats are the same as the exotics? LAWL

Most people know this

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

My take on it:

That’s a smart way to do it. I’m working on T6 mats for my first legendary, while trying to get clovers for my second legendary. So every time I try for clovers, I’m hoping like hell not to get them. lol

Not really but I understand what you’re saying The gambles aren’t that bad if you consider all results as something good :p

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Vayne.8563

My take on it:

Not really but I understand what you’re saying The gambles aren’t that bad if you consider all results as something good :p

Yep. I’m up to 60 clovers for my second legendary but the last time I did it, I got 30 piles of crystalline dust. I also recently got 26 of the vicious fangs. So yeah, for me it’s worth doing. I’ll probably keep doing it after I get my second stack of 77, in case I want a third legendary. lmao

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

My take on it:

Clovers are pretty easy, the t6 mats are a lot harder i reckon, especially with some of them at 30s each. That is more than ectos atm.

Posted by: lolstabz.7026

lolstabz.7026

1. You have to be very very lucky.
2. You have to buy it from the marketplace with gold.
3. You have to put 4 rares or 4 exotics into the mystic forge and pray to the six gods that you get one.

The six gods won’t hear you.

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

Hi everyone!

Recently I got this desire to get a Legendary for fun but I go back and forth on the idea, like it sounds exciting and challenging but is the time spent on it, worth it?

I would like the know from anyone that has or is trying to get a Legendary, what really made you to try/get a Legendary? Or what turn you off from it?
Did anyone give up? Why?
How long did it take?

THANKS for commenting!

1. i liked the way the skins looked. also they will be automatically upgraded to match the best tier in weapon stats, forever, so no more grinding for weapons of those types

2. nothing was difficult. sometimes having a pve server that cares nothing for wvw can make it a bit more annoying to 100% wvw maps, but that’s all

3. amazing. my guildie and i both made bolt a day apart and i found new friends while farming for the mats(he even made a legendary too[in about 150 hours] after we chatted about it)

4. 400 hours for each

5. sure, taking my time with the 3rd(not actively pursuing it)

my advice is go for what makes you happy. if you like the way the skins look, then make legendaries. the free stat upgrades are a bonus

Posted by: Nachtz.4930

Nachtz.4930

Hi everyone!

Did anyone give up? Why?
How long did it take?

THANKS for commenting!

1. I decided to craft Sunrise and Flameseeker Prophecies because I find both of them absolutely beautiful. Moreover, I looted both precursors very easily, so I had no reason not to start working.

2. I never give up

3. The hardest part was probably the bloodstone and the karma. I hard to grind like crazy for those.

4. Let’s go for another one !

5. 2 month/legendary

6. Yes, probably Bifrost

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

Hi there! Well, I myself decided to go for a legendary around start of December, currently I have gotten everything for my legendary (The Dreamer) except for the really expensive precursor. Before going for your legendary, bare this in mind, there is a lot, I mean A LOT of boring farming to do, I myself have spent wayyyy to many hours running CoF for money, and personally, I think if I try to do any more of it I will actually quit the game, so I am just waiting for the scavenger hunt (pleaaaaaaaaase we need info on this) to come out.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The hardest part was probably the bloodstone and the karma. I hard to grind like crazy for those.

That’s actually quite easy to acquire in WvW, I spent about 600,000 karma on exotics and I’m already at 300,000 again just by playing a bit now and then.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Not planning on it myself. So far, for me, the hardest part of the hunt is not being repulsed by the look of every single “Legendary” they have available. Either cutesy girly crap that will get my Norn laffed out of every moot for the rest of his life (tell me a male norn thief wont be with that flippin unicorn abortion bow) or they look like they were ideas ripped off from every manga or anime and just ridiculous sized kitten substitutes. If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to make one I’d go for the one hand sword, Bolt, I think. Just not interested in the either girly crap or giant huge kitten sapphic substitutes.

Posted by: Squirrelbane.2510

Squirrelbane.2510

1) I loved the weapon type on my toon. GS was where the fun was as far as I was concerned.
me and my close friends all decided to go for one together so it spurred us on.#
2) I didn’t give up. I’m the happy owner of a Twilight.
3) hardest? huum. Well, personally the most frustrating part was the clovers. Many people say the precursor though just because it’s so expensive. I was lucky enough to have it drop for me though >.>
4) Ecstatic. But to be honest the playing with friends and working towards it was far more rewarding than the actually getting. I love having it, but yeah…years of gratification in other MMOs made me appreciate that it’s the chasing that’s where the real fun comes from.
5) MONTHS
6) YES – thinking about Bilfrost on my mesmer now xD

Posted by: Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

I agree with what Vayne said …

Starting from scratch is extremely irritating and Hard

IF there’s one you extremely like, check it on 3D View, Wielded Preview, and Youtube …. and if you’re still interested, go FOR IT

IF You’re like me, and you’r profession dosen’t have that much choice , like Ele 3 weapons, Engi 2 and so on..

• Make Gifts (you’ll need skill points, Karma, Completed MAP, ectos and few other things), because Gifts are ALWAYS the same for EVERY LEGENDARY
  • Wait for them to release Legendary you like
  • Get Precursor
  • MAKE IT HAPPEN

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Not planning on it myself. So far, for me, the hardest part of the hunt is not being repulsed by the look of every single “Legendary” they have available. Either cutesy girly crap that will get my Norn laffed out of every moot for the rest of his life (tell me a male norn thief wont be with that flippin unicorn abortion bow) or they look like they were ideas ripped off from every manga or anime and just ridiculous sized kitten substitutes.

I love the fact that they didn’t go the usual “well, let’s just make it something dark, with spikes and skulls and maybe some fire effect so it looks evil” way.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I really wanted a Legendary just as a hard earned achievement for myself, and the Juggernaut is awesome.

The hardest part was definitley the precursor, which I got April 1st I think. You can only rely on RNG for it.

When I got the precursor, I yelled “I GOT IT!!” I wanted to wait for guildies to be on so they could watch me craft it but I was too excited after a 6-7 month process trying to get it.

I might go for another Eventually, will be a while though. I got Characters to gear, get armor/weapon skins I want for them. I say, since you’re playing the game anyways, go for one

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I don’t understand why people go for legendaries, when some of the weapons that takes half the time to get, look just as good. Like; Wings of Dwayna, Mjolnir, The Anomaly, Jormag’s Breath, Mirage, and so on..

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Empressium.5482

Empressium.5482

u sure realized Mjolnir’s 350 charged lodestones is just insane?

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

OP, In my experience, I was hyped to start my legendary collection, then it started wearing on me, and eventually led me to kitten near despise the game =| It burned me out, I just wasn’t up to the task, and ended up hating the game for it (not the games fault, just my own in misjudging what I was really going for).

Since, I’ve taken about a month break, trying to get the motivation to come back “full time” again, it’s just really difficult with that sour taste I’ve given myself. Not a hate post, just know what you are getting yourself into, I thought I did, and that’s where the sour taste comes from.

Posted by: MuffinPieFace.9513

MuffinPieFace.9513

1) I love the way the Sunrise skin it, really cool (and will totally match my pink Charr outfit =P)
2) Right now I am in the process of making it, I have everything except the Charged Loadstones, Precursor, and the Icy Runestones. Everything else wasn’t very hard to get, but these things, that you (basically) have to farm huge amounts of gold to get are, as Fletch^ says, wearysome. And having to farm 100 gold, or wait until I have enough gold or until I find a precursor.
3) Hardest part, refer to #2, but basically Precursor unless I become lucy and the six gods drop them into a chest for me.

5) So far about 2 months proactively trying for it.
6) I may go for another one, but the only one I really like is the Staff (rainbows) but none of my characters use a staff. So maybe if they get some new ones, I would love to see another axe skin.

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

I gave up. I realized that it would be completely meaningless to have a pretty skin on my weapon if I never actually used it (I’m an engineer running a kit based build).

Vayne.8563

OP, In my experience, I was hyped to start my legendary collection, then it started wearing on me, and eventually led me to kitten near despise the game =| It burned me out, I just wasn’t up to the task, and ended up hating the game for it (not the games fault, just my own in misjudging what I was really going for).

Since, I’ve taken about a month break, trying to get the motivation to come back “full time” again, it’s just really difficult with that sour taste I’ve given myself. Not a hate post, just know what you are getting yourself into, I thought I did, and that’s where the sour taste comes from.

That’s why I’m casually getting a legendary, rather than actively farming for it. I get a drop I need, I save and and most of the time don’t think about it. I do what I want, when I want. The other day, I was in the fractals, and boom, I got an onyx lodestone I needed. Sometimes guys in my guild sell me cores or lodestones they get at a discount. I’m over 40 of the 100 lodestones I need. I’m quite happy to play the game and take my time.

Just because you’re going to get something eventually, doesn’t mean you need to farm for it. Just take your time…relax, play the game, and eventually you’ll get what you need…or you won’t. But if you make it a “goal” it really can burn you out.

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

Because it’s stats are the same as the exotics? LAWL

Most people know this

Not only that but its not even account bound, for gods sake its a legendary at
Lease make it account bound.

vvuevv

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

After I finished my quip, I found myself playing more in the wvw than pve. Imo, do it if you really want it. I personally didn’t really really really want it, but it gave me a goal to do, and something to farm for.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I will NEVER get a legendary for two reasons; FIRST AND FOREMOST: 98% of all the weapons look FOO-FOO, I want a more MANLY skinned weapon | Second: Legendaries are grossly overpriced for what they are.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

I personally have 2, Sunrise and Kudzu and for me it was more about making them cause I had finished most of the stuff I wanted to including getting dungeon master title. My advice is if you find one you like, then go for it but don’t go crazy and obsess over it or you will burn out. Just log in and chip away at it daily while doing other stuff like dungeons, dailies, messing around. Then in a couple months you will have prolly most of the stuff done minus the precursor unless you get lucky with a drop or mystic forge.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Vayne.8563

After I finished my quip, I found myself playing more in the wvw than pve. Imo, do it if you really want it. I personally didn’t really really really want it, but it gave me a goal to do, and something to farm for.

Gratz on finishing quip, I hadn’t realized!

Posted by: OliverT.9021

OliverT.9021

Hi everyone!

Did anyone give up? Why?
How long did it take?

THANKS for commenting!

1. Had this design in my head about how I wanted to dress up the toon and the weapons were a part of that look, so I started.

2. Yeah, gave up halfway. I was going to make the Bifrost for my necromancer. I was so close to saving the gold for it, but the price suddenly jumped on the January patch and became out of reach.

The prices of lodestones dropped however on that patch, as a result of the Orrian boxes, so I switched my target, and made the Flameseeker Prophecies.

3. The hardest part was probably trying to MF your precursor. Once you get over it, and tell yourself to farm out the gold instead, you stop feeling sucky each time you leave the MF. I don’t like having my heart broken so many times. Hahaha.

Oh and once you’ve farmed out the gold, you sometimes don’t know which items to buy first. If your precursor costs less than 300 gold, buy that one first. Otherwise, buy the T6 materials first.

Prices for T6 materials are heading north at a very sickening pace at the moment, as compared to precursor prices previously.

Map completion was a pain also. After about 10 maps, the next 10 were a chore, and the maps were almost devoid of people. I remembered running iron marches without ever seeing another player or a single map chat. It was really awful.

4. For the FSP, I remembered I was really ecstatic.

5. I started out in early November 2012, and finished it in early February 2013.

6. Yeah, I went for another after that. Got the Moot done in late March 2013. The second one was wayyy easier. I sorta knew what to get first, where to get it, how to get it, etc. Now trying to go for a third.

Well, actually I’m just going back to my original goal. The Bifrost.

Posted by: feuna.1749

feuna.1749

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your opinions and experiences. I have taken all of them in consideration. Congratulations to those who have Legendaries, a big achievement never the less and good luck to those going for it!

I have decided to get a Sunrise! It looks best in my opinion and suits my Guardian. I will passively pursue it though, storing whatever I get into my bank, no crazy spending. I will probably have it at the end of year but no rush.

Thanks again!

Posted by: InTraining.4712

InTraining.4712

I am a huge fan of Guild Wars 1, and have played it since release week until now. When GW2 came out, though, I felt the deviation was too much and didn’t give the game a second thought for a long while. One day, a friend of mine showed me a video of Twilight, and I bought the game the next morning. For 5 months, I worked at getting that legendary and finally obtained it last week. I love it, and the sword is as amazing as ever.

It’s definitely fun to work towards and very, very satisfying once you get it. The thing is that now I feel like I’ve “beaten” the game, and there just isn’t much more to do except for SAB. Please keep and expand on this instance. Please.