Should I have more than 1 main character?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MightyMo.2574

MightyMo.2574

Hello guys,

I’m pretty new to the game, just started around 1-2 weeks ago.
I do have a Ele nearly level 80 and a Necro on 80 with the boost that came along with the game I bought (yeah, maybe not the best choice to instantly boost up a character, but I just had to do it).

My questions are: Should I have more than one main character? And is the Necro the right choice? I mean I read many threads in the past few days and Im not really sure about it. To be honest I do not really understand everything of the class and even have to get the 250 hero points for the elite skill…
And if necro is a good choice, what build can I go for until I reach my completed elite skill because atm Im just pressing keys..?

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

It really depends on what you want. I have 9 characters, one of each class – because if I find one has a really useful purpose/role, I want to have that available to me. I play 95% of my time on just my main, because I prefer that class (thief) – and the majority of the games content is accessible to any class. Honestly, for PvE – unless you’re raiding – any class in the game can be plenty effective. Even within a raid group, there is flexibility – but you can’t just grab 10 people and toss ’em into a raid and expect to clear it.

I mainly pull out my mesmer for puzzles (portal!) though I actually quite enjoy playing her, I just haven’t taken the time to really immerse myself in the playstyle. My second main play is my guardian, simply because it was a nice change of pace from my main (thief), and it’s useful for certain guild events (like southsun crab toss).

Fractals, dungeons, personal story, current events, open world – any class you like can do all of these things (though you’ll want groups for fractals/dungeons, at least). WvW/PvP are a bit of a different beast – there are hard counters to certain roles/builds, so being able to be flexible there is important if you want to succeed – that’s where having other characters is going to really matter.

Many of the classes play quite differently, so I would encourage you to try different ones out – but there’s no requirement that you play anything but what you want – it just may make it harder to get into a PUG (pick-up group) for certain content because sometimes people are picky about who can run with ’em.

At the end of the day – it’s a game, play what you enjoy and if others don’t want to play with you – that’s their problem. Work towards whichever goals you wish, socialize with people worth socializing with, and stay awesome.

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It depends on what you like. Some people only want one char to gear up and play, some like to have multiples of each profession. Having only one means you can have a deep understanding of that profession but having multiple professions gives you flexibility and the chance to play different ways to mix things up.

I would suggest you at least try other professions. You can still main one if that’s your preference and have the alts to play on when you need them.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

cyn.2157

Forgot to mention – both metabattle.com and qtfy.eu have builds for various game content, that will give you an idea (with some feedback) on how to best use a class/character. qtfy is more up to date, but it’s primarily raid focused – so metabattle may give you some other ideas for other game modes.

For raids, I would say that in my limited experience ele is generally more ‘appreciated’ than necro because it can fill both support and dps roles, whereas necro can mainly do dps/condi (but isn’t necessarily top tier in either) – but it’s easy for an inattentive ele to die often, whereas even a bad necro will tend to stay standing a long time, so just being an ele doesn’t guarantee you’d keep your spot in something top tier like a raid. Necros are seen pretty heavily in fractals because of that survivability and them being a bit ‘faceroll’, quick daily fractals are something many people appreciate.

Again, though – both fractals and raids are sort of ‘end game’ / ‘hardest’ content – for your specializations / hero points, you’ll want to work your way over to heart of thorns, and try to either party with people or just run around with them, because the hero challenges there give you 10 per challenge (as opposed to 1 for central tyria) but are not always solo-able (nor necessarily easy to find).

Lastly, you may wish to run around central tyria first learning your classes and the mechanics, because the mobs in HoT tend to be a lot less forgiving, and can easily overwhelm you if you’re not experienced.

Posted by: Greygus.3427

Greygus.3427

Depends on how much time you want to spend on the game. I for instance have 2 that are 80 but i dont have time to play both. I plat about 4 hrs a day.

As to the necro, if you love the class play it. I know a couple peeps that rock them and know the ins and outs of the class.

If you dont know how to play a necro because you chose to boost create another one to figure out how to play one so you dont make a fool out of yourself if grping for fracs or w/e you choose to do. If that is your goal. If not wanting to jump into grp type modes run around core game start working on map completion untill you are comfortable with the class.

Oh and just egnore peeps that belittle you for playing a necro. They are most likely just elitests, instead make friends and enjoy your class the game:)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

GW2 is very friendly to alt characters.
Unless you’re willing to drop gems on extra crafting slots for some characters, I recommend having at least 4 to cover the various crafting paths.

Other than that, experiment on which classes thrill you the most.

Ele is a powerful class once you get used to the game, so it’s a solid choice.
I’ve always been personally lukewarm on Necro, and they’re not as useful in supporting parties as other classes. Having a Reaper was fun, though. If you’re looking for a safe choice, hop on the internet and see if there are any “minion master” builds. Having summonable HP sponges to insulate you from damage will help your survival. And if you like Necro overall, there are sites you can go to find other builds for open world, PvP, raids, etc.

As for getting Hero Points, finishing some core Tyria content can help you progress on that before you jump into the Heart of Thorns zones. Many of the points in HoT require mobility options you may not have yet or fights you probably don’t want to engage in solo.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: MightyMo.2574

MightyMo.2574

Thanks for all of your answers!

I have a question to add: Is it possible to farm gear with my necro for my Ele?
Would be nice if I am able to learn Necro and farm for my Ele which I also enjoy.

cyn.2157

Absolutely, other than the occasional soulbound on acquire item – things you pick up will be either unbound or account bound. Do note, however, that some items become soulbound on equipping (exotic items at least, possibly rare) – so you can’t actually share higher-tier armor/weapons unless they’re ascended/legendary (which is gear that remains account bound, but will take a while to afford). Exotic armor/weapons is good enough for anything but high-end fractals (which require ascended just to have the infusion slots for agony resistance). Some people will want you in full asc for raids, and certainly it provides advantage, but exotic+asc trinkets will get you 90% of the way there, and an ascended weapon will get you to 95%. A good player who knows their class in the above will easily outplay a character in full ascended who is just blindly following a meta build.

Posted by: Michael.9403

Michael.9403

I too have 9 characters, one of each type, all now elite, and all with ascended weapons, coat, and jewelry. Some are full ascended, but frankly coat and pants cover 57% of the armor value, and making 4 other pieces is a PITA for fringe characters.

I sort of backed into that many characters. I started with ele because I’d played that approximate equivalent for years in a raid guild in both of the big subscription games. However, this is a PVP dedicated game, with only DPS archtypes, skipping the other two archtypes. Your survival is dependent on your ability to “twitch” out of trouble. I don’t twitch well. I too switched to necro, as it was a caster, and practically impossible to kill. She did “been there done that” back in the days when you had to get dings in the WvW area and transfer servers to find ones big enough to do the temples to get those dings.

I also raised all crafters to the max level, and learned I got game experience for both crafting and farming materials. Since I didn’t want to “waste” all the experience on level 80’s, and I didn’t want to raise 2 of the same class, I kept adding classes.

One doesn’t learn a class by crafting and gathering, so when they reached 80 I made them a full set of exotic armor, gave them ascended weapon(s) of choice and set off to solo a level 80 champion. That’s a big enough deal that you can’t just face tank on autofire, so one has to learn how to play them at least a little bit. Anticipating this, of course, I skirmished on the way up.

At the moment all have soloed HoT level champs, most before they were elite. Several of the 10HP hero point champions are soloable. Others, of course, will shred an average player rapidly.

I will say that there are 5 classes I can almost play, and the other 4 are at various degrees of suckage, and they get duty gathering flax or running a chest run somewhere, or maybe doing orphan children runs on Wintersday.

Like someone said, there is something for each class to do in this game. <g>

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I have no ‘main’ character. I have a bucket load of toons and pick one to do whatever I feel like at the time.

SBI

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I have 27 characters….

If you’re interested in WvW and PvP then it’s advisable to have more than 3-4 classes as they all contribute different things.

Builds are different for every game mode and WvW/PvP you have roles to play essentially, so for Necro your role would be the DPS and for Ele your role would be the support. (PvP example)

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)